main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars The Last Epitaph

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Sinrebirth , Jun 16, 2019.

1. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    IC: Vy’ndall Tremyr
    Professor’s Office, A Game of Chess

Vy’ndall stood to the side and politely observe the Jedi Grandmaster deal with his learner-pupil, whatever a subordinate jedi apprentice was called. The nagai maintained a polite smile, he even withheld a chuckle when it was suggested that the young one should arrest the Professor, if circumstances came to that. Vy’ndall would have liked to witness such an event, but alas, that was not in the cards for him.

Delicious irony had to be today’s menu special. A youngster was conferred the authority to arrest one of the most powerful political beings in the galaxy. The order and authority given by a being hardly one third his stature - and not even human at that. Did Yoda expect the Professor to resist his summons ‘if’ found? Or was he counting on it?

Time would tell.

Vy’ndall’s own encounter was about to commence, right here in the Professor’s Office of all places. How ironic and at the same time thrilling. The Nagai took particular notice of grandmaster Yoda sitting in the Professor’s chair, which clearly meant that ‘he’ was the new authority at the Academy, even Nouane itself.

Delightful.

“May I?” Vyn’dall inquired before politely sitting himself across the Jedi grandmaster. With great interest did he listen to Yoda speak, he also took the time to appraise the chessboard displayed before the both of them.

"Have you, the missing piece, I wonder? Or are you already represented on this board, I wonder?"

“Neither.” Vy’ndall would comment casually, as this is what he believed.

"Agree with me, my course of action, do you, Vy'ndall? Not the only person with mysterious intentions here today, is the Professor. You, too, come from a species of no homeworld, and no seeming motive. Many questions there are..."

At this, the nagai looked up and regarded the jedi grandmaster, as if for the very first time. Vy’ndall slowly nodded, for the statement was true on both counts, more or less. But, there was something else behind those words….something....

Yoda gestured lightly up to the shelf he had recently abandoned.

"Such as, wonder do I, what sat there before, hmmm?"

Vy’ndall looked in the direction Yoda had gestured, then back at the diminutive grandmaster.

“I am entirely unfamiliar with this room.” He confessed honestly. “However…”

Vy’ndall felt suddenly grateful for having someone with whom to have the in-depth discussion he’d craved for since the moment he arrived. The opportunity to have it with Roan had been denied -stolen even, having a free moment to speak with Tarkin seemed an impossibility. All the others had their heads too deeply buried in political jockeying. Speaking with the Professor had been a completely one-sided affair. But now….

“Every piece on the chessboard, irrespective of its representative designation, is in essence, a pawn on some level or the other.” Vy’ndall offered carefully and paused for a effect.

“Supposing this scenario has merit, the question that needs answering is, who is making the moves? What hand is moving the pieces? Would you not agree?”

Vy’ndall placed a hand to his chin and regarded the chessboard once again, studying it, then lifted his gaze to study Master Yoda.

Tag: @Sinrebirth (combo?)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: A fun combo with the inestimable @TheAdmiral

IC Tarkin and Jori
    A little chat before the chaos

Tarkin led Jori to the canteen area of the common room, pouring them both a mug of stimtea before sitting at a table and setting one of them before the empty seat near his. His mind was still running through the returned memories and his antagonism toward the Professor was growing deeper at the remembrance that the man had taken all of that from him.

He looked up at her and a small smile touched his lips. ”I apologize for the recent conversation and my outburst. It seems someone messed with my mind and the stimulus from everyone in the hall caused whatever they did to be reversed so I am back to myself. And am willing to share more than I did earlier.”

He gestured at the chair and waited for her to join him at the table.

Jori sat opposite him, leaning back, crossing her hands in front of her chest "It seems there was something I was not informed of." she started, there was no point of beating around the bush "It seems Valorum wasn’t the only student who have died here." she tilted her head "Master Yoda did not want me to speak of him, but I know you can be discreet."

One of Tarkin’s eyebrows rose as she delivered unto him the secret Yoda had shared with her. Roan I presume, he was the only other to leave the program around the time of your and the Princess’s arrival. I must ensure that is added to the calculations currently ongoing in this extremely volatile situation. But yes I will speak of this to no others, it would certainly destabilize things too much here on the surface, possibly the entire system.”

Jori nodded "Yes, Roan." she stated flatly "What happened to him?" she tilted her head "Was it another of the Yuuzhan Vongs' doings?" she hoped she managed to pronounce the name correctly. "Also what would my advisor recommend for me to do with the ship coming for me?" Jori smiled mischievously.

Tarkin’s eyebrow rose again, ”Roan, I suspected he had perished but since we had no touch with the outside I could not verify it. However, I am quite certain I would have known if the Yuuzan Vong had killed him. His entire ship would have disappeared rather than just him dying. So, I suspect whatever or whoever killed Valorum was responsible and more and more I have a suspicion who that may be.”

He smiled at her, a little more of an open smile than he usually allowed to cross his face. ”As to the ship, hmmmm,” he stroked his chin in thought, ”this is where some more of that knowledge I have that I have not yet shared comes in. And I trust you won’t reveal it to others. There are currently a Yuuzhan Vong fleet, a Nagai fleet, an independent command of Eriaduan origin, and more independent smaller craft in the nearby space to Nouane.”

“My recommendation, as I’m sure Kuat will have given you the comm codes for the vessel, is to keep it in the deep reaches of the system, hopefully off of the sensor reach of those fleets, for now. If they have a hyper capable pinnace that can be detached, have them do so then a low powered movement so that if any of the fleets track the pinnace’s track it won’t lead back to your ship. That pinnace can be landed nearby, even on the Program’s landing field, as I’m sure the Professor would allow it, for your safety, if needed. It would allow a swift return to that ship if things go the way the very well might. As to why I suggest a deep deployment, well, those other fleets are a whisker’s breadth away from attacking any that seem hostile or too close to their own ships, especially as most are trying to hide their presences.”

"Interesting, but it seems Master Yoda thinks Roan's death is connected to what is going on around here?" she was puzzled and excited. Oh how she loved a good mystery, though she would have to see whether or not this situation would bring her any dividend. The revelation that there are more ships up there was a shocking one. It seems things have progressed more than she was led to believe "I see, thank you for the advice, will keep it in mind." oh she was going to follow it, but did not want to give him the satisfaction right away, he had to work for it. There was a hint of a smirk on her lips "But will they attack such a big vessel?"

Tarkin’s smile broadened slightly at the grin on Jori’s face, he couldn’t help it, it was infectious. He considered what she said about Master Yoda, ”If Master Yoda believes so then the danger here at the Program has not passed, possibly could get worse before it gets better.”

He thought about what Ser B had passed on about the fleets in orbit, ”The Eriaduans may just see it as your world also desiring to ensure that their student has protection, but given the tensions that already exist and the beings behind the fleets, a measure of security may be gained by not fully revealing the presence of the vessel. Better to have a secret weapon that is unused than a revealed one that could be attacked in the opening salvos, I’d say. Being able to get you, at least, to safety is better than losing that, should things go poorly.”

Jori blushed slightly at his reaction to hers. She was not a coy one, but this was different "That is mighty nice of the Eriaduans then." she smirked "But I agree, it is best not to reveal all your cards too early." Jori chuckled "I did not know that warfare can be so similar to politics." she looked away, hopefully he would not see her blushing again, this time it was from his last comment. "I will be fine as long as I have a trusted military advisor at my side."

Tarkin could see Jori trying to hide her reaction and he obliged, not giving indication that he noticed, aside from the smile staying in place, he’d not had much reason to in recent times and it was overt pleasant that she did so. ”Eriaduans do have our moments.”

He lifted his stimtea to his lips to hide the happiness that could be noticed in his smile, ”Your military advisor would be a poor one if he was far from your side.”

His eyes darkened for a moment then he reached down, into one pocket, and pulled out a wristpad similar to his. ”There are two frequencies preprogrammed onto here and should you take it, once it recognizes your bio-sign it will only respond to you. The two on it are for myself and the one who called while we were in the hall. If I am not nearby you can reach me that way, if something happens to me, contact him. I won’t say the second option will end pleasantly for those who caused it to be necessary but as many eventualities need to be planned for as possible.”

Placing the device on the table he slid it over to her. ”It is completely encrypted. Common sense from a military and political perspective, which, as you said, are very similar. Of course, should you be in trouble, simply call me, whether you can speak or not, and I will do all I can to remove you from that situation.”

"So do the Kuati." Jori smirked and chuckled softly. She bit her lower lip at his comment and blushed slightly. What Tarkin did next surprised her as she had not expected such a thing from him. So they had taken things to the next level, but what will come afterwards? They barely knew each other, but still, there was the attraction.

Jori reached and took the device. She studied it for a second and hid it away "Thank you. That means a lot." she smiled.

A small smile returned to Tarkin’s face, ”Your welcome. Besides, what would a military advisor be without ensuring the one he advises is safe?”

He looked down at his own, tapping it with one finger, ”I will inform Ser B that I have done so so that he is not surprised, should you find the need to contact him.” He paused, the smile slipping and his usual neutral expression returning, ”I should warn you, knowing even what little I’ve shared could or may bring you under the gaze of whoever is behind this, even more.”

The smile returned, ”You have waged a very effective campaign, Jori, to gain this old warrior’s attention. I’ve shared as much as I have so far because I believe you have the right to know as much as possible, unlike what I’ve seen from others, including the Professor, in my case it seems.” The last came out in a whisper, as though he was sure that they could be observed and overheard.

Jori nodded and leaned forward "Thank you so much." she actually meant it, somehow he managed to worm through her façade and be herself for a change. Something she feared she might get to like more and that would cause problems. "One last question, who is Ser B?"

”Your welcome, Jori.” he said quietly, then sat back at her question. It had been coming but still he had to think for a moment. ”Ser B, that is a story I do not even know the full beginning. He is ancient, but powerful, a Force user, and that ‘old friend’ that was mentioned to the Grandmaster’s Padawan.”

He lifted the stimtea, eyes slightly cloudy in memory, ”I first encountered him in what could be considered a brush war. He was there and had involved himself because it turned out there were people on both sides that he needed alive. His mission, my mission since that day, has been to ensure a balance between Light and Dark, as should one side outright win the galaxy will slide into the End of Time.”

“I would say more but it is his story to tell. If he chooses to tell you more, he will do so. But do not expect emotion or care for others to cloud his feelings, he subscribes to neither. It is just his way.”
    he finished. A small smile returned to his face, ”But he will respond directly to you, knowing I was who gave you the ability to contact him.”

TAGS: @Sinrebirth, @greyjedi125, @TheAdmiral, @Mitth_Fisto, @Imperial_Hammer

3. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Executor Vezrra Anor (Aurrenna Adasca)
    Waiting in an alcove

Fingering her jewel that should warn of any surveillance she dipped her head and her eyes to his righteous fury. "By your terrible might and the blessing and Yun-Yammka I am sure all shall be as you say exalted one. Yet there are nine here, and the change of two is the change of one it would seem. Do we stalk? Hurr, nom'o-tu tchilat qorih guvvuk tsii dau poonsii." She calmly stated it as a call of caution that this might be a trap, not necessarily for them, but a trap none the less. Like a cavern beast she warned this might be. She did not like how this situation seemed to have lured them all in, and there were far too many touches of Yun-Harla that were not her own marks here.

Not the least of which if the Warmaster made a move here, her own mission would be a failure. No one might ever learned what happened here, but it would be a mystery that would involve the galaxies elite. An elite that might just pay any price to find out the truth, which would mean they could not not leave any trace, but to say such would be as though to command, and that would take her dancing upon the edge of the couffe to instead falling upon it. A situation she neither wanted nor would do.

TAG: @Sinrebirth

*Perhaps, the enemies will without honor move to cause the mouth to close.

4. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Because a combo with @Sinrebirth is like a fine glass of Ambrosia, you can't have enough. :p

IC: Master Yoda & Vy'ndall Tremyr

Professor's Office, Parry & Riposte

“Every piece on the chessboard, irrespective of its representative designation, is in essence, a pawn on some level or the other.” Vy’ndall offered carefully, and paused for effect. Yoda simply blinked slowly, allowing him to continue.

“Supposing this scenario has merit, the question that needs answering is, who is making the moves? What hand is moving the pieces? Would you not agree?”

"Many of you, as politicians you are, answer to unseen masters, and movers, and fixers. The Professor, he too, perhaps - to be seen, that is." Yoda leaned forward. "If he is the hand that moves all us pieces, wonder, I do, as to his final goal."

"But answer my questions, you did not. Suspect you, I do, of many secrets, and many lies."

"Master Yoda...." Vy'ndall began, his expression as placid as ever. "As you stated, I am a politician. I have many secrets by default and my job requires me to be untruthful from time to time." He declared as plainly as possible. "Are you asking me to state the obvious or for the record?"

It was hard to keep from smiling, but he would at least try.

"I'm curious as to who is moving 'you', Master Yoda."

The Nagai leaned back on his seat and steepled his fingers.

"Let the Professor answer for himself when you question him. It is only right."

Vy'ndall still withheld a happy smile, but his eyes shone instead. This exchange. It filled him up in ways he could not imagine. Finally.

"Hmm. My apologies, I believe I answered all your questions thus far. Which one specifically did I miss? A game of omission is a foolish endeavor."

Indeed. Here, he would need to exercise his wit like never before. This was a test worthy of his accumen.

Yoda glumly met Vy'ndall's eyes. "Answer to the Senate, the Jedi Order does."

He refocused, and felt his skin pucker and tighten in mild irritation, though the Grandmaster kept it from his tone, which was mild. "My handling of the Professor - think it warranted, do you?" Yoda shrugged. "Not an overstep, in the circumstances?"

"Two students die, with galactic consequences afoot, let alone the military attention here..."

Some of that information was Yoda dropping the conversation equivalent of a bomb upon the young Nagai... and the other was mere speculation, for of course as much as the Nagai did not know about Roan's death... nor did Yoda know for a certain fact that there were indeed warships stealthily converging on the planet.

His eyes half-lidded, as Yoda revealed that he too was a politician.

Vy'ndall tried to keep the expression of surprise from his face.

"Two...!?" He echoed despite himself, a hand rising to cover his mouth for just a brief moment. The only two students that were counted as 'departed' from the program were Valorum and Lath. Valorum had been killed. The nagai never knew what had occurred with Roan. The last thing he knew was that the sephi had been with the Professor.

Vy'ndall's eyes narrowed ever so slightly at the memory.

"Then we answer to the same Master...." Vy'ndall managed to say, breaking away from his thoughts, but did not add politically. His eyes returned to the chessboard, then roved once again to Master Yoda.

"You are the very best the Jedi Order has to offer Master Yoda. If you believe something is warranted, then it is. You have the full support of the Senate behind you. Interestingly enough, I was under the assumption the Jedi Order answered to a Higher Authority. Thank you for clearing my misunderstanding."

There was a gesture from the nagai. He'd lifted a hand, asking for a moment to center his thoughts.

"I can understand why our respective governments would be alarmed by what has happened here. Such acts of violence never make any sense or solve anything, no matter where they occur or to whom. But..."

A pause.

"Could I ask you to please share Roan Lath's fate? He seemed a kind soul, one I wished to have known. The news of his passing troubles me. I would like to know if he was at peace when it happened."

Yoda wrinkled his nose. "The Force we serve, but accountable, the Jedi should be - and so, serve the Senate,we did." The Grandmaster corrected the Nagai grumpily. Whether Vy'ndall had intended it as a jab, it had been received.

"Of no discernible method, Roan Lath died... all confirm we can," Yoda paused, slightly. "Died he did, en route to his homeworld, and no record there is of his ship decanting from hyperspace along the way... so a mystery we have..."

"How does a man die, in an unknown way, at a time when he could not?" The wizened imp sighed somewhat. "Most unsettling, is this turn of events."

For the first time Vy'ndall allowed himself to seem visibly troubled.

"I find that almost impossible to believe, if it weren't coming from you." He confessed. "We have no conclusive evidence regarding Valorum's murder, now Roan?"

Think.

"Aside from creating a right scandal and upsetting our governments, who stands to benefit from these deaths?"

Think.

"Have you not someone with the gift of psychometry in your order? If technology has failed to reveal the culprit...."

Master Yoda should have the insight of one who's lived for centuries. Did he not see what was revealed to him in a blink of an eye?

Pause. Redirect.

"So what happens when the Force and the Senate do not agree?"

It was all relevant. From a certain point of view.

Yoda frowned. This was far off the beaten path. "Psychometry is a skill of the Kiffar. Suggest you do, that I attend them to send someone? Most unorthodox, Master Vy'ndall." He narrowed his eyes. "Not the most famous of our talents, such things."

He sniffed gruffly. "Interpret the Force for the Senate, the Jedi do. Honourbound, we are, to serve both. With our advice, the Senate and Force are always in tune. It is in the breach of the Rule of Law, that the Jedi step in, with the Senate's blessing and at their request." He poked a claw. "Vigilantes, we are not."

Vy'ndall shrugged and offered an innocent look.

"I merely suggested psychometry, if it was a reliable means of gaining otherwise unobtainable information. Consider it a last resort, a desperate measure if you will."

Sorry Roan. It was worth a try.

"I think you would be surprised at the benefits of unorthodox methods Master Yoda, aside for the fact that what is now considered orthodox, was not so at a given point."

A not so hidden truth

An easy smile followed.

"And no, I was not suggesting that you were 'vigilantes' as you say. I was just a bit confused as to your judicial roles, for I assumed the Jedi were mostly 'priests' of some sort. Then you are soldiers? agents of the senate? Forgive me if I suddenly seem ignorant of the details. I heard your...student....demand to know if anyone was force sensitive? And I wondered as to the legalities of the question. Is there an actual law that compels or enforces such a revelation? And of course, thank you in advance for your conversation. I've had no one to indulge me, and you have been patient and obliging."

Master Yoda nodded. "Apologies, hit upon a tension between the Force and the Senate, that the Jedi bridge, you have." He stepped off the chair, and walked carefully, tapping his stick as he rounded the table. "Your recommendation, I shall take to heart. Reach out to Kurlin Vos, I shall do, and request he send a Guardian to support us."

"We have been soldiers, yes, and Watchman's of frontier systems."
    He snuffed. "Lords, even, of entire sector fiefdoms. But mainly we have been what we also have," Yoda finished as he came to Vy'ndall's side. "Knights, standing against the dark itself."

"The Republic is an instrument of light, you see," he peered up at Vy'ndall. "Defend it, and uphold it, we do, and have sworn to do so - a lesson learned, over many years, that the Republic is the lesser of many such evils. A difficult sentiment to appreciate, this is, when our ancient enemies no longer exist, you see. Gone for nearly a millennium, the Sith have."

Yoda grew hard. "But our enemy was not the Sith, but the chaos they foster."

"And much of that very chaos, I see here, on Nouane."

Vy'ndall raised an eyebrow.

"I too am a proponent of an ordered universe. Everything we know points towards this. There is no rhyme or reason in chaos, yet there are those who crave it. It boggles my mind."

The Nagai seemed on the verge of saying more, that the Sith were not exactly authors of chaos, but of a different manner of order, but before he could utter this sentiment, a pained expression coursed through his face; it was fleeting, almost as if it hadn't occurred, yet it silenced him in the process.

"So, if the absentee sith cannot be the authors of our troubles, then who? Could the Republic be this divided against itself?"

A fair question

For a time, he thought about it. Much, there was, afoot. Indeed, much of the chaos at the moment came back of him. Yoda narrowed his eyes at Vy'ndall. "Blame the Professor, do you?"

"Which one?" Vy'ndall blurted before he could stop himself.

"Pointing fingers is easy, as you well know Master Yoda. Regardless of how I might feel, or what I think, what we need is evidence. And I quote 'It isn't what you know, it's what you can prove.' end quote. I am certain you more than anyone else is aware of this. Whoever the perpetrator is, I wager he or she is utilizing a method unknown to us. How else are our investigative measures so soundly defeated?"

This whole business was frustrating. For a fleeting second, Vy'ndall could appreciate the grandmaster's position, though he did not envy him for it in the least. This was all so circuitous.

"Is there a way to recreate what Valorum may have seen through negative space? I mean, holographically recreate the murder scene, the very moment - through what data we may already have. Whatever is missing, if there should be a familiar shape there, it might be telling. Of course, relying on technology is risky, but what other method do we have? I know, I'm grasping at straws, but I wish to know who the culprit is as much as you do."

Always include the truth

The nagai sighed; he was trying to think how else to help the great Jedi Master. At the very least, the idea to send for a 'kiffar' had succeeded.

Which one?

Hm.

Yoda grumped. "Take your comments under serious consideration, I will. Remain a suspect, you do, but not one of mine." He peered hard at Vy'ndall with the Force but could sense very, very little from him, even for a politician.

"Your straws, interesting they are." He placed two hands on his staff and tapped it on the floor. "But others, I need to speak to. The Professor, especially, yes, but also Tarkin, and Adasca. Bring them to me, I would ask you to."

He turned back. "Oh, and the young man from Naboo. Speak with him I would." He regarded the Chessboard. "If you should find the Black Piece... to me, bring it, first and foremost."

"This is the key we need to unravel the mystery of Treachery and Chaos."

Vy'ndall bowed deferentially to the Jedi grandmaster, not at all surprised at the revelation. If not a suspect of Yoda's, then who's?

He'd just have to wait and see ho things played out.

"Which one would you like to interview next?" He asked genially, as he seemed to recall Palpatine holding a chess piece in his hand last time he saw him.

"Whichever one finds you first, I would say." He grinned slightly. "Let the Force decide, through you, I shall."

With that, Yoda turned away, to continue to review the interesting books of the Professor.

Tag: @Sinrebirth

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Grandmaster Yoda
    Professor's Office, Unsatisfied

Idling, Yoda palmed through the various books present. There was a delightful smell here, something he only found in the deepest of the Archives. There was forgotten knowledge, lost facts, old promises... and he didn't understand how it all fit together. Some of the more fanciful legends suggested that Nouane had a history that could be traced back a hundred millennia, with the last forty millennia relatively detailed save for a handful of glaring gaps. The most recent being when the planet was struck by Darth Revan, and then, slightly before that, by the Mandalorian clans. But before then... it had been an independent state for the prior twenty-one millennia of the ancient Republic... and retained records of the times before. The most glaring gap in it all was a year which coincided with the most ancient point in Jedi history.

The foundation of the Je'daii Order.

Yoda mused softly on the ample absent knowledge of that era.

The Force Wars had cost them so much, but it was general knowledge that the first Force users rose up on Tython, in the Deep Core, ten millennia before those first conflicts between the Light and Dark - personified as Ashla and Bogan. The end of the Force Wars had given rise to the Jedi Order, implying a transformation philosophically. As Yoda flicked through a yearly catalogue of Nouane's history - most of which had years of banal entry and length; the writer had summarised a twelve month period with a simple paragraph long entry - some years with a mere sentence - but Yoda found the missing year was most curious.

Again his eye drifted back to that shelf.

What had been there?

TAG: No-One
    ---
    IC: Loader Droid 1138

Outside the Office

As Vy'ndall arrived, he would catch sight of a droid carrying another statue-sized box down the corridor. The third of the missing statues - with the singular one remaining. It was wandering a quite different direction than expected, though - to the secondary hangar, where their own personal ships had been stored. It was an oft-unmentioned fact that the first students - Vy'ndall, Aurrenna, Tarkin, Roan and Tarsus - had been directed to place their transports in the secondary hangar.

It hadn't been noticeable until just now; Palpatine had not been old enough to fly a ship, and nobody else save for students were allowed to remain, so he hadn't brought a ship, merely been dropped off. But the present Professor had made sure that Jori and Ni'Korish had also been left without a way to immediately depart. The Force stirred, clearly turning his head slightly to allow him to notice.

Similarly, Tarkin felt particularly curious in the Force right now...

... and it became clear that Aurrenna was completely absent from the Force; he could not sense her at all, anymore than he could the Professor.

And his personal space; his room, it had been violated - he could sense the Padawan was there.

He was at a turning point, a vague and ill-defined moment of choice.

TAG: @greyjedi125
    ---
    IC: Czulkang Lah

Seething

The Warmaster took a deep breath, seeking to contain his frustration. As he did, there was a subaltern just out of sight. Leaving Anor on the line, so to speak, he exchanged Yuuzhan Vong words with the aide. He confirmed what he had suspected would happen. Tsavong Lah had taken a yorik-trema and the Hunters ahead without permission, seeking glory in action and not inaction.

"Anor, did you hear that? My son has acted, and there will shortly be an arrival at your location." He seethed. "It is in your hands, and those of the Gods, now, as to how today goes - if we come, there will be no mystery, no opportunity, only death. Prepare yourself, for I will not blow Tsavong out of the sky to mollify infidels, nor even grand strategy."

Control was rapidly being lost... but a lone asteroid, carefully inserted... would it be noticed?

Did she have a way to end this farce with her mysteries solved?

TAG: @Mitth_Fisto
    ---
    IC: Nejaa Halcyon

Pacing

He managed to pick up the disturbance in the Force again; it led him to Vy'ndall's room, but on inspection - using his slicing skills - there was nothing to speak of - though his eye was drawn to the blank stone tablet in the room. He regarded it, but the Force tugged him again, a particularly sharp one, and he stepped from the Nagai's room before he realised his decision.

In his hand was also his lightsaber, and Nejaa frowned.

He was standing in-front of the room he sensed Jori and Tarkin within. He felt that tug again; and rapped the door.

"I need you to return to your rooms for separate interrogation by Grandmaster Yoda." It didn't occur to him that he could be intervening in something intimate.

Of course, of course, Sir B would sense that self-same tug by Tarkin and knew that a Force user was subtly yanking the Jedi Padawan into a confrontation with his ward... but of course, such a thing could not be so easily communicated...

And yet, as to the arriving Yuuzhan Vong intrusion... the Force was utterly silent.

TAG: @TheAdmiral, @darthbernael

6. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Intruder!

He was feeling quite satisfied about his interview with Jedi Grandmaster Yoda. It had gone differently from what he’d expected. The wizened old Jedi was actually likable and a quick wit, much to his surprise, despite not really having had expectations.

However, it appeared that he was still a suspect, still under investigation. Yoda clearly stated that the nagai was no longer being investigated by ‘him’, and the Jedi was here for the business of Valorum’s murder - and Roan’s, as tragically reported.

That left Vy’ndall wondering. What then was he still being suspected of?

Ah!

Well, that meant that someone had betrayed his privacy, and only one person had ample opportunity.

The Professor

Of course, suspicion needed to be accompanied by proof. That was the challenge of the hour.

They all had secrets. Tarkin with his knowledge, which no mere ‘man’ should rationally posses, Aurrenna, whom he could not sense in the Force…absent even, just like the Professor. Then there was Palpatine, who enjoyed tremendous favor from the Professor himself….

That thought caused something to stir in his mind - his awareness even. He had been given something unique, something that….

The nagai took a step followed by another quick step, which simply became a jog. He could not tarry. He needed to reach his room as quickly as it was possible.

The instant he arrived, he could sense it; there had been an intruder, but who!?

No matter!

Vy’ndall’s eyes grew wide as he searched the room without turning on the lights. He knew where he had left it- and where it should be!! He would not suffer a petty thief!

Wide strides took him to his nightstand by his bed.

The hermetica had better be there!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  7. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Fun for Jori and Tarkin ignoring the Padawan for a time, with @TheAdmiral

IC Tarkin and Jori
    And the chaos deepens

The smile on Tarkin’s face suddenly turned to a frown and his head moved toward the door, a fraction of a moment before the knock sounded.

"I need you to return to your rooms for separate interrogation by Grandmaster Yoda." sounded from the far side of the door. But there was more to it, the words the Padawan chose to use were more in tune with what someone who had already decided on the guilt of the parties to whom they were speaking, more perfunctory and sharp than they otherwise would be.

He turned back to Jori, ”It seems the Padawan is not pleased if the Program’s students are not isolated from even each other, in this time. Or it may be us he dislikes.”

Jori grinned mischievously "I bet it is me that he does not like." she chuckled playfully as she was well aware of the effect that she had on men and even some women.

Before he could speak further there was a vibration on the wrist pad he wore. Setting his arm on the table, he pressed the stud to answer the call. As the holo lit it revealed a darkened flight deck and a hooded figure, the tip of its nose and a flash of light colored eyes deep inside, reflecting the light of something outside the viewscreen. A dry, emotionless voice spoke, ”Tarkin, things are accelerating even more rapidly than I thou…. You are not alone.”

Tarkin nodded in respect to the figure in the holo, Ser B, I am not. This is Jori Atreus. She has been made aware of much of what is occurring. And yes, I have used both my intuition and my intellect to know she could be trusted with such knowledge. She has been entrusted with the second wristpad you provided me.”

The holo of the hooded figure turned toward Jori and it was as though it was attempting to look into her soul, ”An Atreus, why am I not surprised one of you is here, in this time, in this place. There must be something about you for young Tarkin to have such trust in you.”

She was about to say something more, to further tease Tarkin when his comm buzzed and a hooded figure appeared. The infamous Ser B, Jori presumed. Some people surely loved theatrics and dramatic appearances. Of course she did not say anything about that out loud and just gave a polite smile listening to what Tarkin was telling him. Jori even managed to blush at his mention of her.

Ser B puzzled her when he mentioned her family name. Yes, they were famous on Kuat, but were barely known on other worlds. "He is a good judge of character." she smiled "And also I did not leave him much choice in the matter." a polite chuckle "Either way I am grateful for his trust in me." Jori eyed Tarkin.

A dark chuckle came from the figure of Ser B, ”I have put my trust in him time and again, which was one reason when he joined this Program I had to keep an eye out on it, and it is good I did. But the fact he has extended it to you says volumes.”

He turned back to Tarkin, ”Brief her as deeply on this, at least, as you feel she should know. However that is not why I called. A not asteroid is headed directly toward Nouane. You know what that is, per the briefing I gave you. If it is not diverted by who must do so, I will be forced to begin the festivities and war will come to Nouane and, quite probably, to the galaxy.”

The holo image disappeared and there was silence for a moment. Tarkin’s expression had gone paler at the mention of the asteroid and it took him a moment to regain his composure. He gazed at Jori, ”The Vong, or a portion of their fleet here, has made its move. Which means Aurenna must do something to stop them, if she will. Or, as Ser B said, war will begin. Which makes me glad your ship is almost here.”

Jori managed to hide her concern, there also was a hint of excitement though. Things were moving forward, though what worried her was that she was not part of the decision making process. Being part of someone else's plans had its risks, especially when the game was not entirely clear yet. "Just tell me when I should contact them and what to order the captain to do."

Tarkin sat back for a moment, one hand reaching up in an almost unconscious gesture, stroking his chin, as he thought. Sitting forward, a decision made, ”What I suggested earlier is just as valid, getting that pinnace here as soon as possible is even more vital, although my own ship is in the secondary hangar should we require it.” He gave her the IFF code, ”It’s the Valkyrie, and with that the Captain of your ship would be able to know that it’s my ship approaching, if we must escape in it.”

Tapping a finger on the table, unknowingly mimicking a gesture Ser B often used when considering his options, ”Also, perhaps push out a screen of fighters, on minimal power, to surround the ship, offer a shell of defense to allow the ship to have more time to fight, could be an option. Otherwise there isn’t much that can be done in that theatre, unless the Vong can be convinced to cease their potential assault.”

"Shouldn't we expose Aurenna to Master Yoda?" She considered that course of action "Or maybe confront her, though I am not sure about her physical strength." Jori sighed "I will relay your advice to the captain of the ship though." She stood up and approached him placing a hand on his shoulder, Jori gave him a brief kiss on the cheek "Thank you for trusting me."

Tarkin’s smile broadened to a degree, his hand reaching up to hers on his shoulder. ”Trust is a two way street, Jori and you gave me yours. But, unfortunately, I’m sure if we leave the Padawan out there much longer he’ll stab his lightsaber through the door.”

He stood, the hand on hers unmoving as he did. ”If there is an easy way to expose her to the Grandmaster then we should, if not then we’ll have to find another way. Just remember the comm, and if separated make your way to the pinnace if it’s here or my ship if not.”

Jori let go and moved towards the door "We will think of something." she smiled just before she opened the door leaving him to his own devices. "I apologize Padawan, I will be in my quarters." she flashed him a smile and glided towards her room.

Tarkin approached the door behind her, then paused before the Padawan. His eyes trailed downward. When they returned to the man’s face there was no humor in them, his neutral expression had returned. ”This is the second time you’ve approached me with a drawn weapon, Padawan. While I respect your Order, there is a difference between a respectful request to follow a guideline your Master wished imposed and forcefully imposing your will because you have the power to do so.”

He passed by the man, otherwise ignoring the drawn saber, then paused once more. ”I will rest in my quarters, awaiting my interview with your Master. However, a communique I just received makes me believe my message was never passed to the Grandmaster. Distressing, to say the least.”

As he moved down the corridor a thought came to him, through the returned bond, ’Careful with that one, Tarkin, something is happening with him and I have yet to find its source.’

TAGS: @Sinrebirth, @TheAdmiral, @greyjedi125, @Mitth_Fisto, @Imperial_Hammer

8. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Executor Vezrra Anor (Aurrenna Adasca)
    Waiting in an alcove

The Warmaster took a deep breath, seeking to contain his frustration. She listened quietly as she heard the one sided conversation as he exchanged Yuuzhan Vong words with the aide. He confirmed what had happened. Tsavong Lah had taken a yorik-trema and the Hunters ahead without permission, seeking glory in action and not inaction.

"Anor, did you hear that? My son has acted, and there will shortly be an arrival at your location." He seethed. "It is in your hands, and those of the Gods, now, as to how today goes - if we come, there will be no mystery, no opportunity, only death. Prepare yourself, for I will not blow Tsavong out of the sky to mollify infidels, nor even grand strategy."

That was that. Control was rapidly being lost... but a lone asteroid, carefully inserted... would it be noticed? She was unsure, and she was unsure where he would attack from when landing. She could guess, but she was not warrior caste. Her ways were not the way of the warrior.

Did she have a way to end this farce with her mysteries solved? That was the nagging question as she bowed, muttering one last breath before she disconnected the line. "By Yun-Harla's blessing I will do what I can for the good of the children of Yun-Yuuzhan." she simply intoned as she reached finger around the side of the villip, causing it to quiver and disconnect the link. Raising it above the table sighed staring at it before she stood slipped it into a pocket.

With sure steps she did not feel, she advanced to the Offices of the Principle. It was time to see what Yun-Harla could let her do.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Hermetica
    The room

It soothed the man as he returned.

I am here, I am here. Calm, Vy'ndall, calm, pale one, calm, calm. The Jedi boy won't have taken me.

Here.

Here.

Your comlink.

The Professor did not take it back.

Did you want to...

... reach out?

---
    IC: Nejaa Halcyon

Another Room

"We will think of something."
    she smiled just before she opened the door leaving him to his own devices. "I apologize Padawan, I will be in my quarters." She flashed him a smile and glided towards her room.

”This is the second time you’ve approached me with a drawn weapon, Padawan. While I respect your Order, there is a difference between a respectful request to follow a guideline your Master wished imposed and forcefully imposing your will because you have the power to do so.”

"I will rest in my quarters, awaiting my interview with your Master. However, a communique I just received makes me believe my message was never passed to the Grandmaster. Distressing, to say the least.”

Once again, his lightsaber was in his hand, and the Padawan winced... but his teeth were on edge. There was something here... something was just beneath the surface, nagging at them. He hadn't yet found the other students and was circling around this end of the building. He nearly glanced back as he saw the Nagai rush to his room, and then he looked back at Tarkin and Atreus.

"Wait," he said, firmly. He was not here to play at politics, after all. He was here to discuss a political murder. "One of you is to head to Grandmaster Yoda now. The other, remain in your room. Any other action will be construed as..." Nejaa searched for the words. "An action that is intended to interfere with the investigation of the same."

That sounded pretty legalese, he decided.

He didn't take his lightsaber out of his hand, however.

TAG: @darthbernael, @TheAdmiral (choose in your reply, please)
    ---
    IC: Grandmaster Yoda
    Professors Room

There was a twitch in the dark, and Yoda lifted his chin slightly. Hrrrrrm. There was something here.

Something... more.

He slid off the chair, landing heavily, for the shadow was heavy - a burden, to notice, a responsibility, to cleanse. He tapped his staff, and began to make his way down the corridor. Absently, he checked his lightsaber.

It was likely, it seemed... that he would need this; but the Grandmaster paused as a woman approached him at the entrance. He knew; Aurrenna Adasca. He felt something strange occur in the moment, and Yoda furrowed his brow in concern. Whatever this woman was, it was interesting, and another mystery, piling upon another.

Yoda nodded. "My next interviewee, you appear to be." He smiled warmly, in greeting, and in curiosity, his ears unfurling as he leaned both hands upon his gnarled walking stick. "Step through to my new office, would you?"

He turned, leading the way, and spoke back. "Have a chess piece, do you?"

TAG: @Mitth_Fisto (combo)

TAG: @Imperial_Hammer (continuing our combo)

10. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Personal Quarters, Counter Clockwise

Swiftly, he went to it and grasped it in his hands, as if the act itself were the only way to prove the tablet’s very existence.

“Yes, you are here.” He whispered in relief and contentment. The nagai looked about, visually searching the room for an optimal place to hide object, so that no one could steal it from him.

This object - that he now despised with his entire being -but had brought him validation of a world far beyond his ken. It lied and it contradicted, it set itself against everything he believed to be true- it betrayed without remorse, and it was now etched upon his skin, swirling inside his head, unceasingly, always present, unrelenting close, yet far away.

“You make hating seem so easy.” he said with a chuckle.

Vy’ndall’s eyes had spied his comlink, the one the Professor did not take back, the one intended specifically for ‘the call’.

A shadow fell over the nagai’s pale visage then. He hated the Professor too, for it was he who killed the half-breed.

Not to mention, Vy'ndall hated his fellows as well, especially her.

Krai H’voc.

Vy’ndall had set his mind to sacrifice them all, but now that he no longer loved them as he had before, was the value of his sacrifice rendered null and void?

The Professor had asked him sue for a delay in the established plans- but why should he listened to such a liar an manipulator? It was likely that everything the man said was a lie.

But then….

Vy’ndall looked down and regarded the tablet.

He would not be able to conduct his experiment. Grandmaster Yoda was agreeable to his plan, to solicit the skills of a kiffar.
    In theory, it would help reveal Roan's killer, even Valorum's - perhaps bring him to justice even, whatever that was. Not that any of those things were his real motivation.

Vy’ndall chuckled at this, he could almost visualize the scene in his mind’s eye.

Besides, he would only be delaying the inevitable, in essence increasing the level of anguish.

Well, that brought a smile to his face. Well then, it was decided.

He would take the tablet to his personal ship for safe keeping, but first, he would make the call.

Why deny those who were eager to die a small extension of their lives.

11. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Aurrenna Adasca & Yoda by Sinre - A Combo
    Professors Room

Coming towards the professor's room she heard a tap, and then the sounds as if someone was walking with a cane or staff. Only there was no one she knew of that should be walking that way down these halls. Curious she pressed onward, if it was to be death she would not shy away.

There she came knee to face with a little green thing with a cane. Remembering the murder video she stood calm and chin high as it began to speak.

It nodded. "My next interviewee, you appear to be." He smiled warmly, in greeting, and in curiosity, his ears unfurling as he leaned both hands upon his gnarled walking stick. "Step through to my new office, would you?"

He turned, leading the way, and spoke back. "Have a chess piece, do you?"

"No. I never learned the game I must admit. I have merely stones of my homeworld or gems depending how you view such things." she said with curiosity as she followed him.

"Am I to call you Professor then? Is this your new form?" She simply asked, bold and direct. It was no longer the season for caution, for an asteroid that wasn't an asteroid was falling from the sky. Only she knew the reason why, and worried only that her sealant was too strong on her ooglith masquer, though the pain of ripping your own skin off would be a small price to experience to purchase her life.

Yoda regarded her for a time. "Hmmm, no, I think not." He chuckled slightly. "A Grandmaster, I am already, many students, I have - usually younger, however." He stepped around the desk slowly. "The Professor has left me a riddle to solve, on top of a murder - two, in-fact."

"The dark side at work," Yoda said, slowly. "I sense it at work in this place, through the students, perhaps."

His head lifted and he peered at Aurrenna. "But not through you, I sense it." Yoda poked her with a finger. "Indeed, sense nothing of you, I do." The small Grandmaster narrowed his eyes. "Have Arkanian scientists been up to more than just changing the faces of Professors?"

"Other designs, does House Adasca have?" His voice was stern, and he was clearly suspicious.

Tilting her head she noted the remark of being a Grandmaster and the other claims. So this little thing must be Yoda, Grandmaster Yoda. Between the points of contention there was no room for lies. None that were beyond herself in a way, so instead a tilting of the truth was better, and if he could sense nothing from her. . .this bode well for the invasion if the greatest warriors of these people were at a disadvantage to them.

"Grandmaster Yoda, you speak in riddles as befitting a Jedi. the answer of course is yes. And no." simple and to the point, alright too simple she knew but that would cause him to listen. "Adasca has always been up to more, what good is a political person or leader who can be swayed by Jedi or Sith or weird hermits with telepathy? For surely you do not believe the Senate so wholesome that they potentially if bribe and blackmail fail would not try something extreme? With your blessing I would pass on to my family that my unique abilities may have achieved a multi-generational goal. By accident or luck, I might be a key to secure a sense of being sound in mind for our leaders." straight faced and contemplative, with just a touch of a grin trying to tug on the corners of her mouth, as though this greatly exalted her. Which if any of it were true then it would, instead it merely bode well for the rest of her kind and spoke of a great boon from Yun-Harla.

Bowing her head she looked up at the little thing, which meant she had to nearly tuck her chin to her chest before she whispered, "But we have never changed the Professor's face. He is older and more dangerous than that and you have believed a longstanding lie if you thought he has ever had services from us. Now three know a secret that was never to be shared, you me and him. I worry what he will do now, now that his school of influence is at an end, you have come and learned a secret of his, and he likely knows it. I fear for all our lives, Grandmaster." she simply stated, the tinge of fear in her voice, the cracking of her resolve as her milky white orbs misted over with fear and emotion.

Yoda paused, absorbing the various news. It was important to keep track of both the secret shared, and the terrible proof. A glint to his eye. "How useful it would be, I cannot say, for someone a Jedi cannot sense, would immediately fall under suspicion." He smiled widely. "A spy in plain sight, far too much attention, they will receive, no?"

He huffed. "With the Sith dead for a millennium, such genetic plays are targeting the Jedi more than anything... but soon, who knows, such experiments may backfire upon the Arkanian Dominion, if careful they are not..." He leaned on his cane. "As to the last..."

"Confirm my suspicions, you do, that the Professor is not all he seems." He turned to indicate this room. "Many things are revealed in his study. Such rooms, they are reflections of the mind that organises them, or collates and collects. This room, chaos, it is, filled with all manner of treatise and knowledge that pre-date the Old Republic Dark Age." Referring he was to the collapse of the Republic to the Sith horde, which had precipitated the loss of even cartographical knowledge and indeed several species were lost to time - including the blue-skinned man the Professor now impersonated.

"No harm, it does to me, to admit that the Professor is my primary suspect," Yoda said quickly, "though the dark side does not run through him, either... but the Force does, unlike you, hmmm?" Another poke, this time with the Chess piece in his hand. "Fear, yes, there is fear in you, but you are but the tip of your family spear, and much pressure is upon you."

He turned back from her. "But in fear, there is darkness, and so I find myself suspicious of many other things than a simple murder."

Yoda tapped and tapped, exposing his back to the woman.

A temptation was evident.

He peered back over his shriveled shoulder. "If exposed, the Professor is, the attention on you, dissipate, it will? For otherwise, your people will continue to lean and lean, until break you do." His ear twitched as his eyes narrowed. "Afraid of being a disposable piece on the board, you are." Yoda moved forward, indicating the Chess board. "But to species who amend genetics, all pieces are disposable, sadly find I do."

Tilting her head she nodded, she was glad she had studied her cover. “Three fates await one such as I, either I become a unique tool for study, a failure whose genes need amended so none of my future progeny inherit my genetic failings, or I’m banished to the mines and stripped of all I have to be little more than a slave in all but name.“

She ignored the temptation of his back, he was a little old lizard shriveled and no danger beyond words to her. But even words have uses. “I am always disposable, as are everything and everyone here. The only question I have is what has the Professor been paying obscene amounts of money for to my people for centuries? And whether he is preparing to cleanse the board in his leaving to cover his tracks, and whatever one might glean from his things.”

She sighed heavily, “If what I fear is true attention is only a worry to my family, myself is about to become irrelevant history much as this place.” Hint and lead, indicate and pray.

Yoda huffed. "Dramatic, but a fair response, no doubt, in the circumstances."

"If the Professor is as old as you claim, money will not matter to a being such as he." The Jedi Grandmaster glared at Adasca. "But go, speak to your Lord, and discover that perhaps, you should. Find some secluded, away from the others, you should."

Yoda made a noise of vexation. "Yet another key to this mystery, do you hold." Of course, in releasing Aurrenna to find a quiet spot away from the others, he had given her the perfect opportunity to rendezvous with Tsavong and his fellows.

Giving a half bow she backed away, "Thank you Grandmaster Yoda." Turning she paused as she approached the door, "Might you let the guards know to let me pass? After being locked in my room since the murder and merely the halls since this morning, I would very much like to appreciate nature on the grounds around this place for a secluded spot." she softly asked looking back with a question in her slightly furrowed brow and questing cream eyes that took in far more than the little lizard could suspect.

Yoda nodded sagely. “I shall let my Padawan know; guards - the Professor has none, though if he has told you he did... more curious, this is.”

A cage the Professor created, but for who?” At that, Yoda sat on the floor, crossed legs, and closed his eyes.

Actually she had thought that there was just regular security and perhaps guards that the Grand Master had brought. She wasn't about to correct him though, it served better to leave him thinking and working on murders and wheels when she had her own survival to contend with.

Taking her leave she headed to where she was sure the Warriors and Tsavong would be landing. Ever keeping a prayer to Yun-Harla under her breath.

12. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Combo with @TheAdmiral and @Sinrebirth

IC Tarkin, maybe Jori
    In the hall

At the preemptive command from the Padawan Tarkin paused. His eyebrow raised, ”Your Order is known for their ability to, most often, find a peaceful situation. However you seem to be acting anything but peacefully. One of us is next, fine. But we are all future leaders and guiders of the Republic and your actions are reflecting quite poorly on an organization that is dependent upon the goodwill of the people, the leaders of those people, to continue to function in the Republic.”

He turned to Jori, before pausing once more and turning back, ”That communique I mentioned….your investigation may not matter, very soon, and because of that demanding that we remain in our rooms alone could end with all here being slaughtered.”

Ignoring the man now he finished his turn toward Jori, ”So we must choose who goes and faces the Grandmaster next. You would, perhaps, have the easiest time as it is quite obvious you should have had no influence or ability to have been involved in the murder of Valorum. On the other hand, if I go I can show, once and for all, that I had nothing to do with the murder. So a difficult decision indeed.”

Jori observed Tarkin's behaviour. The man did not seem to like the Jedi Order much. She shared some of his sentiment, but said nothing about it, after all, there was no point in making an enemy out of them. "If you need time to prepare for the meeting I can go first, if you want?" she asked Tarkin sweetly.

Nejaa huffed slightly. "Just decide, please; with less flirting, if at all possible."

He didn't have much else to add.

A small smile had begun to form on Tarkin’s face, at Jori’s question but the response from the Padawan doused it. His face returned to the neutral expression for a moment, the most satisfaction he’d give the man that he was irritating him before the smile returned.

”Thank you Jori. There are a few things I would like to prepare before meeting Master Yoda. And taking that time may mean I face him with less antagonism in my mind.” The last was said with a barely perceptible nod in the direction of Nejaa.

Jori covered her mouth and chuckled "I am sorry Padawan, but flirting is part of a woman's second nature." she smirked "I will go in first then, take your time to prepare, though I fear that the conversation will be very short, given how me and Master Yoda already had an impromptu talk about the recent events." she gave him an apologetic look.

Nejaa bristled. "Master Tarkin, if you will follow me."

He turned away, not interested in watching any last minute assignations.

Tarkin chuckled, the Padawan was young and impulsive, but there was more to why he was as antagonistic as he was, he was sure of that. With a momentary twinkle in his eye he glanced at Jori, ”I appreciate it, Jori, my preparations should not take long. And should need be,” without glancing down the fingers of one hand tapped against the cloth of the sleeve on the opposite arm, where the wristpad was concealed by the cloth.

Turning back to Nejaa, ”So are you deciding for us, Padawan, even though you asked us to choose?”

Jori glided towards Tarkin "I am probably at fault here." she smiled "The poor boy must have gotten confused..." she turned her head towards the Padawan "I am to go first..."

Nejaa sniffed. "Follow me, of course." He had his lightsaber back on his belt as he walked off, conscious that he had to be less-trigger happy but that Tarkin really got under his skin.

13. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    OOC: Combo with @Sinrebirth :)

Ni'Korish's first comm from the downstairs restroom was met with a delay from the Consortium Comm relay. So she took the opportunity to make it look convincing that she needed to use the facilities and then she headed directly to her room. A few queries to some work-droids and she was able to find it. Almost immediately upon entry, he comm pinged confirming the line was set up and secured. She set her Comm on what was likely a desk, and pulled up a chair.

"I am here, Ereneda. My apologies for the delay. The facilities here are crude." Ni'Korish stated again.

"Of course they are," the Queen Mother said, tartly. "For they are founded by men and their ridiculous patriarchy. A Republic of fools, though the Program I had hoped would be more than that... indeed your father had received word of its importance in the coming decades. Men's clubs on Coruscant, it turns out, all heresay. Your fathers over-reliance upon his drinking buddies, requires me to be more forthright with our intentions... and offer you the Hapan muscle to protect you if you so need - a flotilla of Hapan Battle Dragons and Nova-class battle cruisers is ready to protect your dignity."

The news almost took Ni'Korish's breath away. Mother thought it fit to allocate part of the fleet to protect her. Why? Had things gotten so bad outside of the academy? Was it a mistake for her to come here? It sounded like the fleet was in hiding, or at the very least a jump away from the system.

Suddenly a surge of understanding. Responsibility. At her call she could bring in parts of the Hapan Fleet. A responsibility she was learning to develop and grow comfortable with. Surely this was not a coincidence. This surely must be another test, a new milestone in her preparation to lead.

Her thoughts broke and she snapped back to the here and now. Her mother was discussing the history of the Republic. How it was a government mired in corruption, backstabbing, and in-fighting. Understandable, given their backwards ways. Yet, despite the Consortium's isolationist tendencies, the royal house knew most of all that the Cluster was not an island. What happens here impacts Hapes.

"It is that change that I want access to. Someone seeks this chaos, to create something new, undoubtedly. Your true mission is to identify who is best placed to take advantage of this energy that all this tension is poised to unleash. Sidle up to them, and protect Hapan interests, my daughter."

Ah haaaa. So Mother wanted to reverse that relationship. Have Hapes push things along. Ambitious, though not surprising. This was her way. And sensible. Influence done now may not yield results for many years. Mother may not be around to see it, but Ni'Korish would. It was still more responsibility, fitting the theme. It was no small task to make these levels of long term strategic decisions. She would make her mother proud.

"Understood Ereneda, I will not fail..."

Suddenly a knock at the door. She keyed in the security breach termination code to end the transmission.

"Princess Ni'Korish?"

The voice was familiar. It was Palpatine's from earlier in the day. Her gut reaction was the pretend she was not there. She had had quite enough of the boy for one day. But... with this new knowledge...

"One second" she called out. She stood up, straightened up her clothes, looked in the mirror to fix a few stray strands of hair.

She walked over to the door and keyed it open.

"Hello again" she said with a polite smile. She purposefully left it there.

"Indeed," Palpatine said, bowing slightly. "Since our last conversation, the Professor has vanished, and left me to meet with the Jedi Grandmaster."

Ni'Korish listened to the boy's words as he began.

He presented her with the black King. "Over a game of Chess." He regarded the piece. "I appear to be being manipulated, and if the first classmen are, then so too will, I imagine, the second class... women."

Ni’Korish held the piece in her hand, turning it over. Chess was a game very popular in Hapes. Some speculated a Hapan invented it. After all, why else would the Queen be so powerful.

Palpatine lamely made the adjustment to his envisioned end of the sentence. "So I think it's time I struck up an alliance with the most powerful student on Nouane, no?" Palpatine dropped to one knee, and bowed fully, and entirely. The young man was not the hesitant waif before; an affectation, not his true self, clearly. Now, however...

Ni’Korish inhaled, looking at the ridiculous sight of the bow boying. Yet, something didn't square here. This was the same boy that so haughtily was pushing for centralized government and who didn't have a qualm talking back to her. For someone like that to seek any alliance indicates something heavy concerning him. And the professor disappearing? She may need to contact the fleet sooner than she expected.

"Here." she said, stepping back. "Come in and out of the hall. And get up please."

Palpatine stood quickly, and he hurried into her room. Once the door was shut, he smiled slightly; his clumsiness had achieved its goal and he didn't need it anymore. Playing the amoral alley-cat was decidedly satisfying.

Ni’Korish walked further into her bedroom, allowing him to come in. She leaned against her desk on the far wall and turned to him. A good three or four meters between them, she folded her arms.

"You can drop the chivalry. I don't believe it for a second. Next time if you want to butter someone up, ease into it. Two or three interactions of increasing warmness over a few days and it won't look so suspicious."

She reached up to scratch her head.

"What I do believe is the intention under your veneer...." She was going to end the sentence there, but then quickly added a small barb to test his sincerity. "....however clumsily executed."

She continued.

"Please explain why you think you're being manipulated. If we are to have this... alliance... I need to know what I'm getting in to."

He would no doubt chafe at this request. Knowledge is power after all. But this was a big ask coming from someone Ni'Korish had interacted with only very briefly. And with the knowledge of the nearby Hapan fleet, Ni'Korish was feeling bullish about her own power to shape things, sans allies. Beggars can't be choosers, and trust needed to be built first.

"I can only apologise for my... clumsiness." Palpatine mentioned. The young man erased his smirk, and pressed on.

Ni'Korish was grateful not to be subjected to yet another song and dance. She listened intently to what Palpatine had to say.

"The Professor is running some sort of scheme through the Dwartii Exchange Program. While polices have made the Republic improve over the years, many particularly controversial ones have originated here. If you was to pick through them all, I suspect they are more harmful than beneficial, but they are reactions to the time... but more directly, and blatantly, the death of Valorum brought down a Chancellorship." Palpatine shrugged.

An interesting proposition, thought Ni’Korish. But who would place so much power upon a simple instructor. Ni'Korish supposed he not just any instructor, working at this place with these students.

"More, this Professor has reached outside the traditional Republic spheres of influence, spreading the chaos." He gestured to them each. "Naboo is quite isolationist, Hapes is entirely isolationist - the Nagi here? They don't even have a homeworld, and yet he courts two rival Eriaduans - Tarkin and Valorum...." Palpatine shrugged. "Why introduce new factors here and now. Why invite a Jedi investigation and vanish?"

Yet another interesting point, mused Ni’Korish. Clearly the boy was gifted in sizing up situations. Granted he had a head start arriving here early.

Palpatine held his hands out. "What progress is made? What could be made?"

"Is it targeting Hapes, or Kuat? They were pulled in after Valorum died, and Roan left. He's completely disappeared from the equation, and nobody talks of him. So that means you and Jori were assets the Professor wanted but didn't want to risk in the initial class; he needs what you have, but not to the extent he can risk you."

A small thought arose in Ni’Korish’s mind. Could this boy be overthinking things? He approaches this as a grand drama, but could this just be a simple school matter? It was true that appearances frequently deceive, but it is equally dangerous to invent enemies out of thin air.

"Meanwhile, two of the five original students are gone, weakening the position of the other three. That means that the Professor wants something from them, but not them themselves." He smiled. "But then, between the two parts, he draws me into to add to the first class, breaking millennia of tradition by specifically adding a sixth student. I am the greater anomaly of you and Jori, for it... which means most of this is about me."

Self importance again, noted Ni’Korish to herself. But she remembered this from the exercise earlier in the day. This time at least it was reasonably supported through argumentation. There was some merit to what he said.

"Because I have nothing to give, not like Hapes or Kuat, or even Eriadu." Palpatine contined.

Ni'Korish thought of the other students. Of that blow-hard Tarkin, of the Kuati... no allies anywhere, and for the ones already not poisoned, the building would need to be done from the ground floor. It would take work, and time. Time she was not sure she had, with how fast things were moving. She also thought of her Mother's instruction. If this boy's argument is true and he his special, then Ni'Korish should at the very least investigate. She could always re-calibrate later.

Palpatine was inflamed, impassioned, and it showed. Power was, even self-power, attractive, even under these circumstances, it could be said.

"So whatever he is offering, I want to offer it to you as well, Ni'Korish."

Ni’Korish looked on the boy. He seemed to believe his words at least. She decided to test him.

"You say you have nothing to give. How can you then match anything others offer me? These powerful actors from Eriadu, Kuat, the Jedi you mention. They have worlds, ships, wealth and power at their command. They can summon armies, as can I. Why should I put my credits behind you when there are safer fathiers to bet on"

Palpatine allowed his lips to tug at the corners; he'd clearly anticipated her question - but he still smothered the slight smile immediately. "Because I do have nothing to match them. You will own me, rather than be forced into an inflammable alliance with a faction that thinks they are your equal - or even expects deference and respect from you -"

Ni’Korish had to admit that there was something innately appealing about having power over a man outside of the consortium. Like taming a wild beast.

Palpatine continued, nodding to himself, - "And that is not something they deserve, in the slightest. No politician here commands the power that you do, after all." Palpatine held his hands broadly. "Make Naboo an extension of your own personal dominion - not something you even owe to your mother, Princess."

To Ni’Korish, there was certainly something taboo in this suggestion. She had always fancied herself the good daughter. She was on the same team as her mother, after all. But at the same time, her mother's star would eventually fall. That was the reason for this all, after all. Well, one of the reasons at least. There would eventually come a point where she would need to assert herself relative to her mother. Was now this time?

Perhaps it was. An alliance or outpost, covert or otherwise, between Naboo and Hapes could allow the consortium to better protect its interest - influence the galaxy. Her mother mentioned that as a priority after all. It may not be precisely what she commanded, but well within the spirit of the command.

Palpatine’s words grew needling, but not in a way the young woman would recognize, nor in a way which Palpatine had done so purposefully; his inadvertent usage of the Force though he had no training whatsoever - a natural charisma that was beyond the spectrum of the traditional use of that mystical field. His usage was entirely different to any way that Yoda would detect, let alone Vy'ndall and Nejaa.

Ni’Korish looked on Palpatine, her mind made up. Hmm. "Very well." she said, a small but authentic smile on her face. "You make a convincing case Palpatine. We shall be allies here. I trust you will be a man of your word."

She left the consequences of breaking that word unsaid. Someone of Palpatine's intellect would either read the shadow of that sentence, or at the very least have already factored this inverse in.

"I never thought to ask, is 'Palpatine' your family name or first name? I have read that such dual naming conventions are common among humans in this part of the galaxy."

Palpatine responded. "My first name was given to me by my father... I loathe him, so rarely use it. I am the heir of House Palpatine, so I became Palpatine... but I was born Sheev." Palpatine smiled slightly. "You are welcome to use that name... in private."

Ni'Korish had no choice but to crack a smile. What a ridiculous character this... Sheev was. On the one hand, clear, calculating, evidently strategic and bright. On the other hand, positively hopeless when it came to members of the opposite sex. He should watch himself to not get taken advantage of - by a Hapan Princess or any other attractive woman. Oh well, he was the best she could do right now. It was not all bad. She would play along.

He winked slightly and went to go. "I think it's time we had a chat with the Jedi Grandmaster... and start our own galaxy together." Palpatine glanced over his shoulder. "Would you prefer to be called something different when we are in private, Princess?"

"Ni'Korish will be fine" the Hapan princess responded. "Its not in our culture to have last names. The commoners are not important enough for their legacy to matter, and the legacy of those high-born are well known without needing an additional name."

She went to her table and ran a comb through her hair.

"I didn't realize I was invited to this chat with the Jedi Grandmaster. I can't say I'm pleased. The Jedi are scourges on the galaxy. Unaccountable, unfathomable, and deeply selfish." She set the comb down. "If you ask me, I think they make this force nonsense up. Seeing the future my foot - that is impossible."

She walked towards Palpatine and the door.

"Alright. Lets get this over with then. Lead the way."

Tag: @Sinrebirth.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Young Palpatine
    The Professor's Room

The teen with the red-flame hair stood side-by-side with Ni'Korish as they walked, for Palpatine was careful not to precede the Hapan Princess, but eager to be on his way. In his hand he twirled the Chess piece, time and time again, and regarded it with some bemusement. Here he was, a King-to-be besides a Queen-to-be. House Palpatine was powerful, but this alliance - and perhaps dalliance - would be something else, truly.

They reached the room at the same time as Nejaa Halycon and Jori Atreus. Palpatine sniffed at the Jedi Padawan, who had narrowed his eyes long before he saw the young man and woman. He increased his pace, almost leaving the Kuati behind as he stepped forward, and Palpatine affected an innocent expression.

"Master Jedi, how can I be of assistance?"

"I am collecting the interviewees," Nejaa said stiffly.

Palpatine gestured to the Hapan Princess. "Ah, yes, but her Highness and I thought it best to step forward to our own discussion with Master Yoda, so that we might assist with the wider view of matters."

"My instructions are -"

"Secondary, at present, my young Padawan." The door was slightly ajar, and the little Jedi peered from Palpatine to Ni'Korish to Jori. "Spoken to the Kuati representative, I have already, and her Highness, not a suspect, she is."

His eyes fell upon the Chess piece that Palpatine was turning absently in his hands, and Yoda's eyes narrowed. "But speak to you, I would." His voice was firm; dark, even. Without anything else to add, he turned back to the room and stepped in. Palpatine smiled, not quite gloating, at Nejaa, who seethed to himself. He went to allow Ni'Korish to precede him, and then Yoda's voice sounded out.

"Alone, I would speak," a tug with the Force and Palpatine was through the door, and another swirl of the energy and the door clicked shut.

Nejaa blinked. "Master -"

In the next moment the floor gave way, a trap-door dropping the three of them into the depths; the doors slammed shut, but, for some otherworldly reason, the act left no presence in the Force whatsoever. Not Yoda, nor Sir B, neither of the would sense what had just occurred to the three of them.

They awoke in a room of screens, of many, many, angles upon the school itself. So very many, it could be said.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Behind them, a man loomed, and Nejaa spun, igniting his lightsaber -

The Black-Coat swept his hand, and the Padawan's eyes fluttered into his head and he fell backwards, unconscious -

"My apologies, my students, but the presence of the green gnome has accelerated things a little."

TAG: @Imperial_Hammer, @TheAdmiral
    ---
    IC: The Hermetica

Speaking to their victim

The presence of Vy'ndall meant the words began anew.

Know that there was once a Darth Traya.

And that she cast aside that role, was exiled, and found a new purpose.

But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn.

It was a woman's voice, but she had a variety of faces. Some were from the past, and others, from the future.

[​IMG]

Darth Traya
    [​IMG]

Atris, another Darth Traya, in a different reality

[​IMG]

Vergere, the third Darth Traya, speaking to Kylo Ren

The tome spoke to him of times which had never happened, leaning upon the Nagai to split his mind along these possibilities that had never been.

The dark side began to churn in the tattoos upon his skin, the words moving again, as if alive.

It was then, mid-moment, that the call responded, and his Nagai handler, sarcastic and frustrating as ever, came through. "Report on your latest failure," she replied, snidely. "Before my fleet wipes you and that school from the planet."

TAG: @greyjedi125 (combo)
    ---
    IC: Tsavong Lah

Planetfal, Dwartii Exchange Program

The man, as arrogant as he was, was not fool. The yorik-trema approached as slowly as possible to both simulate space debris but not alarm any sensors monitoring the atmosphere; the lightest applicable of the Yuuzhan Vong ship's dovin-basil would mask re-entry, and Tsavong had the best of the best present.

In short order they reached the edge of the island where the program existed, far enough from the coast of Nouane's main continent to warrant separation in ancient times, when maritime laws had limited the extent that a nation could reach into the sea before they became known as Neutral Waters. A quaint, redundant classification in the modern era of a unified planet, but one which the Professor had taken advantage of to found his sea-borne kingdom-school.

The ship deployed its warriors, and Tsavong Lah activated his villip. "Anor, where are you?"

TAG: @Mitth_Fisto
    ---
    IC: The Narrator

Alone, but of course not

The man none as simply Tarkin was alone, very much so, but of course he was connected more than not. His ally above the planet would have an asteroid for company, which had made a slow planetfall and vanished, but he also had the updates from the systems edge; the massive behemoth from Kuat... the Dreadnaught-class cruisers that the Judicials had moved nearby just in-case the Senate gave the order, as Lord Adasca had ignored Aurrenna and floated the proposal to the Chancellor, who was eager to stamp down on the Exchange Program that had brought down his predecessor....

[​IMG]

Mandator-class dreadnought

[​IMG]

Republic Rendilli Dreadnaughts

The situation was escalating again, and it was becoming apparent that other small flotillas were drifting in-system.

The Nagai ships, all designed differently from the other, would not be in any record Tarkin or Sir B had, for they originated from a satellite galaxy in the Unknown Regions.

The Eriaduan designs, of course, were very well known.

The asteroid swarm - Sir B would know these from the species' brief confrontations across the northern-most Unknown Regions as Yuuzhan Vong ships; enough to erase most of the enemies present.

All three task forces were nearly to the system, even approaching at a drift, with power reduced, and sensor-dampening in place.

The dreadnought and Dreadnaughts, a system over in either direction, made no secret of their arrival.

It was about to light-up, and Tarkin would be the only one immediately free to do anything about it.

TAG: @darthbernael

15. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Tarkin and a tough old droid with @Sinrebirth

IC Tarkin
    Chaos Intensifies

No sooner had Tarkin returned to his room than the wristpad flared to life. ”Planetfall of the asteroid. The Vong have moved forward with their intentions. I can no longer sense the Atreus, the Padawan, the Vong scout, the Palpatine, the Hapan princess, or Him. Space here is becoming crowded. The Nagai fleet is intriguing, no design yet registered in Known Space, which tells me this is a true incursion, if other evidence before had not. As well, other fleets are gathering, not just the one ship your paramour was granted has come from Kuat, but I suspect the orders behind the remainder do not come on her account.”

A frown marred Tarkin’s face. With those persons missing it told him the events were truly accelerating. ”Suggestions, Ser B?”

The figure in the holo call cocked it’s head to one side for a moment. ”You are the military tactician, young one. What assets do you have in place there that can be utilized?”

Tarkin thought, then recalled that the Grandmaster had not been mentioned, nor had Vyn’dall. The obvious choice was the Grandmaster, but he suspected that reaching and discussing matters with the Jedi was going to be more complicated than a simple walk down the hallway.

”Go, Tarkin, before I must solve matters on my own.”

Tarkin’s face paled slightly, Ser B’s solution would turn the space over Nouane into a graveyard and erupt the galaxy in flames. But that may end up being the only solution. He checked his uniform, placing items where they needed be and flattened against the wall by the door to his quarters. Touching the stud, he tossed a pair of items into the hallway, items he was sure that, in other times, would have gotten him expelled. Soon hot, thick clouds of smoke began to fill both ends of the corridor and he darted out into the concealment provided.

Alarms echoed out, and the room doors sealed shut, compressing the sound before they could interfere much, but Tarkin's actions had sealed Vy'ndall in his room, and then the office that Yoda and Palpatine stood in. From the end of the corridor appeared a droid, old, yes, but workable.

It was serendipity that it was appearing from the opposite end of the school to the Yuuzhan Vong infiltrators, but it was still a thing.

[​IMG]

The robot appeared positively ancient, as was befitting the island-school's heritage as an old, old, world.

It lifted its blaster-arms, and spoke firmly.

"Please return to your room."

Tarkin smiled tightly, this droid had been triggered by his actions but not by the sounds he now heard in the distance behind him. Knowing the droid could begin to see better, with its sensors, where he was, he quickly palmed his blaster. He pulled out several little repeaters, tossing them the length of the hall, then slid along the wall, trying to use his back to find the warmer areas to disrupt the infrared sensors, to a degree.

As he encountered a such a spot, thanking that the items he’d thrown tended to create such warmer spots, he triggered one of the repeaters, subvocalizing so it came from where the repeater was, ”The school is being overrun and I am not staying locked in my quarters like a sheep to the slaughter.”

The droid lifted its hands, and bolts emerged from it, targeting his feet. Clearly the droid had instructions to disable, rather than outright murder. It was a Xim-era design, would you believe, the kind of relic that the Hutts used to keep as trophies to their victory twenty-five-odd millennia ago.

Clearly it's response to the actions was to just scatter its fire across the floor, rather than engage with specific signatures. It was a fairly brutal but efficient tactic.

Tarkin reacted to the incoming fire, diving to one side in a roll toward the droid. Coming to his feet inside the droids range, his hand came up in a swift movement, from the opening of one boot to the neck of the droid. A screech of metal sounded as the dagger he’d grabbed from the boot, sliced against the neck of the droid, attempting to slice through control runs from the ‘mind’ of the droid to its limbs.

He ducked back down, keeping the dagger in close as he moved back out of the circle of the droids arms, and past it. He spun to keep facing the sentinel as he began to back down the hallway toward the Professor’s quarters. His other hand held the blaster, down by his side, finger along the barrel, safed but ready to engage if his little maneuver had failed.

The sentinel took the lash across its throat, damage sparking out, but the injury didn't immediately impede it, and in the moment of Tarkin's actions he was closer to the droid than not, and the droid reached out, a metal arm backhanding the Eriaduan and sending his blaster and knife skittering away.

It loomed over him, pointing its hands and then glancing at them as no blaster fire emerged; Tarkin had cut the controls between there and it. It was that long that Tarkin had to recover before the droid realised it needed to physically seize the man, and lurched forward -

Tarkin went limp as he was knocked backward. Letting his limp body hit the wall he dropped to the floor. Still laboring to get his breath back rolled, in the direction his eyes had told him his blaster had gone. Hand out as he rolled he came up against the blaster, just as he felt the droid lurch forward.

Taking a gulp of air to refill his lungs he rolled again, sliding along the wall for a moment. Booted heel hitting the floor he quickly brought his gun arm around and triggered a volley of bolts, distributed between the upper torso and neck area of the droid. He had to move again and pushed off the wall to keep the droid just far enough away, even as he breathed heavily. His boot kicked something and then he stifled a curse as he saw his dagger skitter out from underfoot and down the hall toward the Professor’s quarters.

The bolts dug out into the droid's neck, and sheered through. The head launched off into the air, clattering hard on the floor, and then the body sagged to the floor, slamming down - only to lurch back up, trying to reach for Tarkin even though it couldn't see him.

The old designs were tough.

Tarkin watched the droid struggle to its feet again. ’I’m getting too old for this.’ he thought to himself. He moved as silently as possible, edging around the blindly reaching droid. He stifled a grunt as one finger of the hand slashed through the fabric of his tunic, leaving a shallow gash across his chest as he slid past.

Moving around behind it, hoping it wasn’t a model that could rotate its arms 360 degrees, he leaped and got his upper body above the entrance to the torso, and the neck, as he landed on the back of the droid. Pointing his blaster down into the neck he fired and continued firing until the blaster whined that it was close to overheating. His legs kicked at the arms as they attempted to move and grasp him where he hung on.

As the blaster whined he dropped free of the droid and let his fall continue onto his back and a roll onto his knees. ’Gods I hope that was enough to take that thing down.', wincing now at the pain of the gash on his chest and the bruises he was sure were forming on his legs from the arms.

The droid ground to a halt - inevitably, slowly - and stopped moving.

But then it lurched again, pushing itself up, and -

Collapsed, whining, and fell apart. Literally, it didn't even resemble a body, by the time it did so.

There was a long, long silence.

The silence was almost as disturbing as the attack by the droid had been. It boded ill as he knew he’d heard the distant noises of intruders as they entered the grounds. But he had things that needed doing.

Pushing himself up, he gathered his dagger and slid it back into his boot before making his way slowly down the hall to the Professor’s Quarters. The door was sealed when he arrived but he retrieved his dagger and rapped the door with the pommel.

”If we are to survive the next few moments, Master Jedi, I must speak with you.” he stated before turning his back to the door and, holding his blaster in a low ready position, began scanning down both ends of the corridor.

16. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    An amazing and dramatic combo with the Master GM himself, @Sinrebirth.

Anguish and Havoc

The nagai’s head moved as he seemed to swoon, but it was not from pleasure. The voices in his head, ‘her voice’, that which was The Hermetica snaked into his consciousness and slithered into dark places. He could do nothing to stop it, for it was like a virulent poison that had invaded his system, a rot that seeped into his bones, that blackened his marrow. He could do little, other than resist its lies and whispers through sheer will power, either until it drove him completely mad or broke him- but he would always resist.

At least that was what he told himself- it was a small and pitiful consolation in the face of eternal anguish. For indeed, the Lord of Anguish would be the bastard son of Darth Traya, born eons after her death.

He knew what it was trying to do, how it attempted to transform him, re-shape him. It had succeeded in part, yes, but he was too self-possessed to allow a total eclipse of himself.

Even so, the tattoos continued their endless and sinuous slithering across his pale skin and inside his mind.

It was then that his ‘handler’ called, her voice dripping with condescending sarcasm.

"Report on your latest failure," she replied, snidely. "Before my fleet wipes you and that school from the planet."

“Your Fleet?” Vy’ndall chuckled darkly. “I dare you….” He nearly spat at her, as he met her intensity.

“Do so and you and every single Nagai that exists will be consigned to oblivion - and you will be the one responsible for the end of our race. A fitting legacy for a foolish warmonger, wouldn’t you agree?”

Lord Vy’ndall Tremyr, for he had earned the right to be called thus, flexed his gloved hand feeling the cut within it, still bleeding. He craned his head to crack the stress knots forming at the back of his neck. His gaze and manner were certainly, darker, bolder than they had been before.

“Why even call for a report when you have already made up your mind, hmmm?” He teased darkly.

“Is it because you heard a little rumor? something ‘interesting’, something that might possibly turn your little war picnic into a massively floating graveyard? Is that what you called to confirm? Aren’t you bold enough take that ‘oh-so-very critical’ risk?”

The gloved hand turned into a fist.

“Do not threaten me again, especially if you are not in a position of advantage.”

Vy’ndall paused long enough for his words to be understood before adding his next phrase.

“If you value your lives and your culture. Call off the attack.”

Oh, he knew how much she wanted war, because she had been born for it, trained for this moment all her life. The question now was, would she heed his words or simply dismiss him off-hand, now that she was at the threshold of war. How desperate was her thirst, he wondered. And so, he grew silent and stood still, taking pleasure in observing her reaction to his ‘report’.

The handler was shaken by the confidence that Vy'ndall spoke with. She wasn't speaking to the same man that everyone else had before; it was clear as day. But she had to try, anyway. "The longer we hold off the invasion, the longer Nagi suffers under Tof rule. Until we invade the Skyriver, we will not have the strength to fight them off. Even with the Macabree and the other species working with us -"

She swallowed audibly. "Can you have on your conscience the continued suffering of our people? For another year? Another day? Another minute?

There was a snicker inside his mind.

Every action betrays someone, so why hold to loyalty, when you will be treated as a traitor in either instance? The traitor who commands the attack that fails... or the traitor who stalls an invasion and encourages suffering? The woman's voice became that of a man, deep and booming.

All paths lead to treachery, and pain.

Because the Force ordains it.

Vy'ndall spat to the side, but it wouldn't be for whatever reason Fleet Commander H’voc would assume. He didn't care much how she resolved to interpret it.

In his mind he hissed back at the slithering voice, then steeled himself defiantly at the booming. He made sure he did not speak his thoughts aloud, at least this time.

'I will not be drowned by your lies, even if you speak them for an eternity. You are a poison, doing poisonous work. I will bear this anguish and it is 'you' whom I shall betray. That bitter pill shall be my sole consolation.’

Despite his resolve, the voice had intermixed lies with truth as deceivers always do. The plight of the nagai resounded deeply within Vy'ndall, but knowing what he knew now, tempted as he was, between the two choices given, there was no choice at all.

"Would you trade another year of suffering for instant annihilation, hmm?" Vy'ndall tilted his head and looked as if he were regarding an insect. "Do not lecture me on Nagai suffering. If I had the 'Power' to destroy every single Tof from the fabric of the galaxy, IT WOULD HAVE ALREADY OCCURRED!!!"

He didn't mean to shout, but what was done was done.

"All you lot have to do is survive another year. Minute, by minute, by minute. Let your HATE for the Tof be your fuel, let it be your food, let your sorrow be your drink and your anguish your motivation. I already told you, Call Off the Attack. But I will tell you something else...."

The nagai smirked so darkly it seemed as if he had become a twisted creature for a single moment.

"Do not leave immediately. Find some reason to delay, and 'stay', then take a 'look' and you will see the reason WHY. I cannot spell it out for you here, but you will see, you will know, and when you do, you alone will owe me everything I demand."

A heartbeat, two, three and then a shrug.

"Or you could simply dismiss my report and have yourselves the most glorious and briefest space battle ever, and doom all nagai back home to spend the rest of their days under the unyielding heels of our enemies."

"Your choice."

The moment of levity vanished and the intense stare returned. Indeed, he was daring her to make the wrong choice, 'her' choice.

The woman took a deep and meaningful breath.

"We are Nagai. We have suffered for over a century; we know how best to slide in the knife," she said, quoting the old ways. "And when best to wait in the shadows." She raised a fist to her shoulder in salute.

"So be it, Lord Tremyr, you have convinced me, and our fleet - it will withdraw, to fight another day."

It would seem that Vy'ndall had, by sheer force of will, removed one piece from the board. Today, there had been a triumph for him, and indeed, a clapping resonated in the room for a moment.

"Well done, my friend," came a voice, not from any one part of the room, but the entirety of it. "It may please you to know that your kind's invasion will again and again wait for the right moment. In seventy years time, they will at last find it."

It was the Professor's voice. "You do remind me of Jin... what a funny old memory that is."

"But I'll leave you to it... and to the treachery to come."

His comlink suddenly burst into flame, and the voice inside his mind laughed through genders, from old crone to malevolent chuckle to insipid male. Betrayed through and through, having done, it seemed, precisely what the Professor wanted; to stop the Nagai attack right now.

There was a moment, so still, one could perhaps hear one's own breathing, even as he ignored the burning comlink and the unheard mocking laughter.

Then there was an explosion of Force.

The nagai roared and roared as he unleashed his rage, unhinged and unrelenting. His blades came flying to his hands as he furiously slash anything and everything in sight; with the force he violently shattered furniture, mirrors, anything and everything. His anguish demanded release as it could no longer be contained. He imagined slaying the Professor, time and time again, over and over and over, in so many horrible ways.

“Seventy years!!!!” He cried out!

If fate would have the Professor appear before him once again, just one more time.......

But for now, he was transformed into a shredding tornado of Hate and Anguish, and woe to any who would enter his room uninvited.

Woe indeed.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Jori Atreus
    Nouane

Jori had been amused by the whole situation. She was buying Tarkin time. Though she was sure that Master Yoda would see through her, so hopefully her new friend would have prepared himself.

They ran into Palpatine and the Hapan Princess. They looked adorable together, though she wondered whether the boy would like being bossed around by the girl. Or the Hapan would have to undergo a cultural shock. That brought a smile to her face.

When the diminutive Jedi decided to take Palpatine in her stead she just blinked and shrugged. That was good enough for her. But what happened next was a surprise to be sure, but she was not sure whether it was a welcome one.

She fell into what appeared to be a control room, with multiple screens. The Padawan whirled, his lightsaber ignited and the Professor appeared. What did he mean by that? Her stay in this program turned out to be a frustrating one.

“What is going on Professor?” she demanded, hopefully he will shed some light to the mystery, though in her gut Jori felt that she was in no position to request anything. She felt like a pawn in a game that she only recently started to understand. A role she really hated, but before she could learn more there won’t be a way for her to wrestle for a better position.

TAG: @Sinrebirth @Imperial_Hammer

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  18. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Aurrenna Adasca ( Executor Vezrra Anor )
    Watching Planetfall, Dwartii Exchange Program

The walk was slow, but pleasant. Especially as she stepped out into the free air and felt the confined grass' pass beneath her feet. Eventually reaching her spot she took up an overlook position and waited watching for the tell tale signs of the Yorik-Trema approaching. Eventaully she finally spotted the speck. The yorik-trema approached as slowly as possible to both simulate space debris but not alarm any sensors monitoring the atmosphere; the lightest applicable of the Yuuzhan Vong ship's dovin-basil would mask re-entry, and Tsavong had the best of the best present she was sure.

In short order they reached the edge of the island where the program existed, far enough from the coast of Nouane's main continent to warrant separation in ancient times, when maritime laws had limited the extent that a nation could reach into the sea before they became known as Neutral Waters. A notion of those infidels that were too fractured to share even a planet together.

The ship deployed its warriors, and Tsavong Lah activated his villip. "Anor, where are you?" She could hear it in her own villip and did nothing to respond as she walked down to them, around a few trees. "I'm right here." she called out. "This place is a fractured nest. Treacherous to all within."

19. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    IC: Ni'Korish

And so they were all on their way. To talk to the Jedi, to figure out this murder. Outside of the small bit of class she interrupted at the beginning of her trip, she wondered if there was any learning at all to be done in this academy. Though after her conversation with her mother.... well, perhaps it wasn't book learning she was here for anyway.

They arrived at their destination and were joined by the Kuati and someone she didn't know. He was dressed in the robes of a Jedi... was this the one they were supposed to talk to?

"Master Jedi, how can I be of assistance?" Palpatine mentioned

The Jedi stiffly mentioned that he was collecting interviews. Palpatine attempted to argue with the Jedi. Ni'Korish figured she would be best off here quiet. Jedi were not to be trusted, and were quiet foreign to the Hapes Consortium. She would not give the Jedi any ammunition, nor draw attention to herself.

A new voice pierced through the debate, and Ni'Korish looked to see a small green alien. She had never seen anything quiet like it before. The creature referred to the other Jedi as a padawan, which if Ni'Korish could remember her teachings, that meant a lower rank Jedi. Hmm.

She turned her attention to the senior Jedi then. The creature mentioned that it had already spoken to the Kuati. Furthermore, it was aware of herself! The creature mentioned that she was not a suspect.

"Well at least its well-informed" Ni'Korish thought to herself. She wondered if it had used its mind-powers to get to that information.

The senior Jedi did seem more interested in Palpatine however. He clearly seemed to be putting on a show, being macho. Because of course he would. The princess took a quiet, long, inhale. She had intended to follow Palpatine in to the room with the Jedi, as was the plan, however, the Jedi didn't seem to want to go along with that plan.

"Alone, I would speak," the Jedi mentioned, pulling Palpatine in and locking the door behind them.

"Hey!" Ni'Korish shouted. The junior jedi was clearly also not expecting this. He called for his master.

Then suddenly, the floor gave out from under them! Ni'Korish gave a yell as the three tumbled down the chute they were being channeled down. The next few seconds were a mash of sensations. When she finally came too, they seemed to be in a room full of screens. What the frell was this place.

Then a few things happened at once that were very concerning. A black clad figure stepped forward. The junior jedi ignited his lightsaber... presumably to strike the mysterious figure down. The figure then disarmed the junior jedi through what must have been the force? Great, another one. Was he against the Jedi or just putting the novice out of commission so he didn't hurt himself or others.

The figure turned to Ni'Korish and the Kuati. Oh, where was her comm now to call in the fleet. Trapped doors - disarmed Jedi. This seemed as good a time as any.

The then figure spoke. "My apologies, my students, but the presence of the green gnome has accelerated things a little."

Students? Was that the professor underneath those dark robes?

“What is going on Professor?” the Kuati inquired. Not as dumb as she let on indeed.

Ni'Korish stood up and dusted off the casual dress she had changed into before coming over. Her fear was a little abated knowing the figure was the professor. It was his job to teach them after all, and he still was referring to the two women as "his students". Ownership, in this case, was not a bad thing.

Knowing how dangerous and irresponsible the Jedi were, the Hapan did not necessarily dispute the latter part of the instructor's sentence. She was sure the Jedi could interrupt and accelerate many things. But like the Kuati, she was also confused as to what was going on. With all these secret trapdoors and cameras though... she doubt this mysterious man would be willing to answer the Kuati's question. Perhaps a question with a little better chance of being answered was in order.

"Is there anything we can do to help?" she asked.

Whether she would actually help is another matter. But alone with this Jedi-neutralizing alien in his secret cave.... it was probably better to go along with his program. For now. He may even be nervous or stressed, increasing the chance he could spill precious details as to their situation.

TAG: @Sinrebirth, @TheAdmiral

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Young Palpatine and Yoda
    Chess

The game began shortly.

Palpatine was curious, more than anything, and Yoda was shrewd.

An immediate white piece fell, and Palpatine shifted into conversation.

"So you know about the Lost Masters, I gather?"

"Hmmm?" Yoda said, an ear flipping out, and making another white piece move forward to flank the advanced black one; Palpatine took that one, too. Now he had two pieces out, and Yoda had two holes in his frontline.

"They say that the Professor's Forcesaber has an Eye in it that sees all, and is watching us all," Palpatine continued. "Ever since the Twilight Wars?"

"The Twilight Wars?" A white piece advanced, but there was no counter, it was too afar from Palpatine's current position, so he moved a piece forward to intercept.

"You know, the Protectors who fought the Twilight Wars; the Lost Masters," or, he mused, "Perhaps they are the ones who the Twilight Wars started for."

Yoda had used the distraction of his advancing piece to allow a second line piece freedom to take Palpatine's first piece - the one which had struck the first blow. In that move, he had two pieces against two in the centre of the board, and Palpatine's pieces were both outflanked and blocking his second line from stepping in.

"It's already foretold, anyway," Palpatine said, drily regarding the board. "The Twilight War will come, and the Light will be lost to the Dark."

"Hmmmm," Yoda mused. "Perhaps changed, that can be."

Palpatine's eyes glazed over.

"Oh, I hope so."

TAG: No-One
    ---
    IC: The Professor

Depths, Control Room, beneath the Nouane

They were here, and, above them, the first stage of the war had indeed began.

The scales of the light and dark were being decided, and it would all be as it should.

The Professor in his black robes eyed Nejaa Halycon and his green-blade, looking as determined as ever. Ni'Korish was here, as was the Kuati Atreus. As they should be, for they were keys to the future.

Eyes glowed yellow in the shadows of the cowl, and he gestured with a hand.

Nejaa dropped to the floor, and with a turn of his white-pale hand - the largest screen behind the two of them switched on, illuminating the Professor's face.

[​IMG]

"Watch, and see," the older man said, his decrepit nature evident for both to see.

The screen showed the teenage red-headed Palpatine playing his game against the Jedi Grandmaster, and, in the first moments, winning, though Yoda had taken advantage of his losses to open up fronts for more pieces.

"The board is between these two, today, but one is being put upon by much older forces. One will become power incarnate... will have a path laid out for him by four Sith Statues, and you two will reap impossible rewards as a result... influence beyond any possible definition."

"Does that future sound pleasing to you both?"

TAG: @TheAdmiral, @Imperial_Hammer
    ---
    IC: Tsavong Lah

Hallways

Lah had no patience for spies, though his father was fond of them to, what was the saying?

Weaken the hinges of the enemy fortress?

It was almost cowardly, to him, who preferred direct approaches, and to prove the courage of his warriors, he so thought as the sun set on Nouane, leading them into the penumbra of dusk.

To spy was a profession that belonged to all castes, for the traitor goddess Yun-Harla brooked no limit upon herself, and so you were as likely to find a deception priestess as you were a Shaper. Anor was an indendant by caste, and so to be a spy was quite literally the only way to elevate oneself out of the bureaucracy.

The young Tsavong had twisted his expression into one of disgust, and simply followed the route that Anor had plowed, to the edge of the complex. His warriors did not need advice, and the Yuuzhan Vong stared darkly at her to keep her silent. For a moment, he reflected upon the blue-sacs under her eyes, but shook off the distraction and moved forward as stealthily as his elites.

The noise of the conflict between Tarkin and the ancient Xim-era War Droid meant that Tsavong Lah was alerted to a threat, and he stood at the edge of the entrance to the Academy and nodded to two of his cloaked warriors. They headed in, and then, and only then, did Tsavong acknowledge their spy. "Tell me who needs to die first."

The two warriors did very little but rush forward, covered by the shadows and their wits, and, of course, came to in-front of Tarkin.

Producing amphistaffs, they roared, and advanced down the corridor -

TAG: @Mitth_Fisto, @darthbernael
    ---
    IC: Trayus

Dancing in the Dark

The tattoos upon Vy'ndall's skin were empowered by his hatred, by his rage, and they gave shape and form to him.

Indeed, it would seem as if they were both strengthened but also emboldening his greater awareness.

The Nagai would find his rage was redoubling, and this strength - this Force - it was within him, and he could sense it all.

The malevolence beneath Nouane, almost shrouding the lights of Atreus, Ni'Korish and Nejaa -

The echoes of violence surrounding Tarkin and the voids that approached him -

The impossibly quiet shapes at the edge of the Dwartii grounds, that made an impression on their surroundings, but did not exist in the Force -

His ship, and other ships, being quietly refuelled and prepared in the hangar, three bequeathed with artefacts that resonated with great purpose and destiny -

The Nagai armada vanishing, his connection severed, utterly, as they used their advanced hyperdrives to retreat from the galaxy -

More and more ships nonetheless in orbit, all sneaking in-system - a Kuati Dreadnought, Hapan Battle Dragons, Eriaduan frigates, Republic cruisers - on the cusp of surprising each other and violence ensuing -

But what stood out more than anything -

Was the Professors Office, which was akin to a giant block of metal that shielded itself from Vy'ndall's new and wider perceptions. It was lined with an alchemically treated material which meant you could not sense its contents, it stood out more than anything and everything, and he would instantly know that it was both Force proof and sound proof.

It was designed to protect what mattered most to the Professor -

The tablet, it shattered, and the words upon his skin showed Vy'ndall how to crush and compress the carbon within, to drive it together with enough power to create a crystal -

The words danced upon his skin, carving, carving, carving -

And unfolded pieces of metal here, there, weaving them into a cylinder -

A clear-crystal was evident.

All he need do was press his will upon it, and it's colour would be decided -

And he would have a Forcesaber of his own.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  21. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Dark Emergence

What…is…this….strength….what…..is….this…POWER….?

The nagai stopped and looked at his hands as he experienced something he never had before. Though he knew power, never had he experienced it on this level. Power and Knowledge.

Vy’ndall ignored the wreckage that had been his room, his pale bare torso with its swirling tattoos, even as he turned and peered out, past his room, past the hallway. What was he being shown….?

What was happening beneath Nouane? How did the Atreus girl end up way down there and who was that with them, that ‘presence’?

A sudden gasp escaped his lips. What was happening with Tarkin? And….gaps in the Force?? Not only near Tarkin, but also near the outskirts?

Before he could focus on any one thing, something else would become the center of attention. Almost automatically, he looked up and felt his people simply ‘vanish’ from all perception. But that space was becoming crowded suddenly with… ‘ships’?

Something suddenly ‘blocked’ his view, something in the Professor’s Office. Something that surrounded it. He tried to focus on it, but his attention was diverted once again. So much knowledge was being funneled into his conscious mind right then and there, it was almost paralyzing.

Then the tablet shattered!!!

He’d almost cried out because of it, but the moment was gone. Whatever plans he’d had for it were suddenly forgotten as something new took hold. The scrolling tattoos were speaking to him, instructing him, but the time it was different than before.

What was happening……?

Vy’ndall had never experienced anything like this before and was completely consumed by the moment. He felt himself weaving with power, with the Force, forging, crafting. Metal pieces became a cylinder. He’d created a crystal from the shattered tablet.

His mind was flooded with knowledge and he followed along, lost in the turret of events. He grinned, excitedly, but the expression seemed gruesome, pained, grotesque even. His eyes widened then narrowed as he brought his vast resentment, his rage, his anguish, his greed for power, all his dark desires, all at once bore down on this one act.

He would have this weapon.

This ‘Forcesaber’.

The true mark of a Lord.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2020
  22. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Executor Vezrra Anor
    Hallways

Meeting Lah and his group of warriors was as always a matter of controlled eyes. If you roll them warriors are prone to pull them out after all. Being the large, fanatic and murderous sort his warriors did not need advice, and the Yuuzhan Vong stared darkly at her to keep her silent. As if his greeting hadn't foreshadowed that already. Yun-Harla help her, for now she was her own worst danger. Although the way his look had lingered she wondered if she had stirred something other than murderous desires in the warrior. Impossible surely, she looked horrendous fresh from an ooglith after being sealed under for months.

There was a noise of the conflict ahead which meant that Tsavong Lah was alerted to a threat, and he stood at the edge of the entrance to the Academy and nodded to two of his cloaked warriors. They headed in, and then, and only then, did Tsavong acknowledge their spy beyond long stares in the moonlight. "Tell me who needs to die first."

The two warriors did very little but rush forward, covered by the shadows and their wits. She had to bite her tongue to stop herself from stating a comment about how his warriors and himself were operating. Producing amphistaffs, they roared, and advanced down the corridor - oh for the love of Yun-Yuuzhan!

"The Professor first. He is the most dangerous enemy that changes face as if he has none of his own and is as old as World Ships. Second Jedi Master Yoda, small green and dangerous if the history books are true. After that, just any infidels you meet and the abominations." she said with a sneer of contempt and disgust at the last. "Do you need me for this or shall I wait at the ship?" she stated with tilted head. Working her scar puckered lips as though trying to remove the taste of this place that was all around them from her throat.

TAG: @Sinrebirth , @darthbernael

23. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Jori Atreus
    Nouane

Jori was shocked by the sudden revelation of the Professor’s face. It was old, lined with wrinkles and scars, sickly pale skin that accentuated the glowing yellowish snake-like eyes. He was as if taken out of one of those horror holo-flicks. The creepy old man who was either a serial killer or a supernatural being. Or an ancient Sith coming back to haunt them all…

She was not sure what to make of him. Ironically the Professor mentioned Sith when he showed them the holo of Palpatine playing chess with Yoda. It seems he was some sort of a Force sensitive, a powerful one, well at least stronger than a Jedi Padawan, but given his age, he surely could pull a trick or two…

The offer sounded enticing, so she immediately classified it as too good to be true category. “What is required of us?” she asked at last. There should be some sort of a catch...

TAG: @Sinrebirth @Imperial_Hammer

24. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Having some fun in a combo with our GM

IC Tarkin
    Invasion

Tarkin watched as a pair of deformed….creatures skidded to a halt before him. In the seconds he had to react he let a thought reach out to Ser B, ’The...Vong have arrived.’ As his mind raced, a thought entered it, ’Allow me, Child.’

His eyes looked up, taking in the warriors standing before him, slate grey eyes staring almost through the two creatures. ”Globs, baisan khrev bus gejbaina nikk ter ni beltgekh sen udh?1*” As he spoke, it seemed his features twisted, almost writhed, and a scarred face, more regal on one side and more destroyed on the other, than theirs seemed to appear across Tarkin’s features.

In his mind he stood mute but observant at what was occurring, knowing he had no control but if he didn’t respond, convince them, the odds of him surviving this encounter were quite low. He composed himself, his essence at least did and thought ’What are you doing, Master?’ The response was almost immediate, ’Convincing them I am one of their gods. Now hush, Child, so I may work.’

The grey eyes continued to bore into the two warriors, ”Khiikh khrev gejbaina ter ch baitugai ne bonox üldeekh ane gazar kaul nizz sen hamal? sira nikk... bonox ögökh aśīravāda nizz sen inras bele sucelee.2*” his voice spat out at them, commanding, powerful.

The Yuuzhan Vong looked startled, and looked at each other, but their surprise did not last too long. They did not know what stood before them, but with a snarl they swiftly produced razor bugs and each threw one, uncoiling amphistaffs and roaring as they stomped forward.

"Do-ro'ik Vong pratte!"3*

They did not need permission to take this world.

They were the children of Yun Yuuzhan!

The sound, the laugh, that came from Tarkin’s throat, seemingly no human could have produced it. The razor bugs came whipping in and the fully slate grey eyes regarded them. He didn’t move as the warriors charged but the bugs came to a halt, as though they hit an unseen wall.

The eyes lifted back to the charging warriors and as the razor bugs suddenly zipped back on seemingly random trajectories toward them the voice sounded once more, ”Neg udaa dakhina globs, khrev sharv Yun Yuuzhan ikor? agh bus Yun Yammka? Daraa ni khrev bain puul tchrokkriors, sira Shamlee Tukhaioj.”4*

The warriors flicked apart their own razor bugs with aplomb, and though they looked at each other in confusion, their resolve did not give them pause for thought. They rushed Tarkin, amphistaffs twirling as they did so. One whipped out the weapon, the snake becoming the opposite of sessile, for the human's throat, while one dodged to the left and swung at his legs.

Either moment could cause severe harm -

The amphistaffs raced for Tarkin’s throat and legs and yet he stood there, seemingly unphased. In the seconds before the attack the guise of a regal Vong stood there before them once more. And then the eyes blazed a deep grey; he moved....a step back, a grin as the two weapons flashed before him.

His hand whipped out, ear foot too, slapping the staffs further on their trajectories, unbalancing the two Vong. The hand with the dagger stopped, flashing forward, aiming to embed itself in the throat of the higher aimed Vong. His foot flashed upward, along the outstretched arms of the Vong who’d gone for his legs. ”Shamlee Tukhaies, globo!”5* he spat out.

The dagger was embedded, the Yuuzhan Vong gurgling, but the slapped aside staffs became coiled, ensnaring his arm and hissing as they became more snake-like than sessile. The second Yuuzhan Vong rolled back, producing a smaller coufee and stepping forward, even as the two snakes sought to bite him -

Tarkin fell back as the Vong advanced, keeping his distance, as he dealt with the snapping snakes. The metal cuffs on his uniform tunic flared and electricity poured forth, into the amphistaffs, a cold smile as the snakes shrieked and smoke rose from them.

Stunned or dead, it mattered little to him as he shook the staffs free of his arms, he turned the cold smile still on his face, eyes glittering. His free hand dipped to his belt, palming a small grenade. Tilting his wrist, he let it wedge into the cuff of his tunic as he weaved the dagger back and forth before the Vong.

And then he advanced, blade clashing with the blade of the Vong, forcing the two blades upward. Thrusting his other hand forward, the grenade dropped into it, twisting the arming circuit, and punching it against the harness of the creature, before breaking the clinch and diving backward.

The coufee shattered the blade, as it was, but the moment was long enough to allow the grenade to be placed -

The Yuuzhan Vong began to pat down himself, unfamiliar with the weapon, and exposed for that moment -

Tarkin sneered as his dagger broke, but then the sneer deepened as the Vong searched for the grenade. Whipping his arm forward he threw the hilt and jagged remains of the dagger. Bounding backward, he kept his eyes on the target as the dagger unerringly flew toward the exposed smooth side of the Vong’s neck, where he could almost make out the jugular vein beating.

The warrior managed to see and turn, but a chunk went out the side of his throat. He snarled, realising he was going to die, but didn't care to dwell on it. He launched himself for Tarkin, grabbing for his throat with the intent of securing him and crushing his windpipe before he died -

Tarkin's arm whipped up, even as he backpedaled toward the next crossing corridor. It knocked the Vong’s hand away from his neck, but he felt the claws scrape across, drawing blood. There was less than a second left on the detonator and he pushed off backward, curling into a ball, arms and legs covering his core, the boost he’d been given shooting him down the hall.

The explosion went off, and Vong guts were dutifully scattered throughout the corridor. A liberal dousing splattered Tarkin, of course. His push also sent him slamming into the floor with some force, an act which would stun him as the amphistaffs slid over, fangs beared, even as they still smoked from the electric shock a moment ago -

Tarkin found himself gasping, trying to get his breath back as he wiped blood and guts from his face. His eyes focused and unfocused as he did so, dizziness in his vision and head. But he could hear a rasping sound which told him the danger had not passed. Reaching down to his belt, his trembling hand found his blaster and, after a second of fumbling, he got the weapon free of the holster.

The rasping and hissing was louder now and he tried to see where the amphistaffs were, but he saw four or six of them, depending on how often he gazed their way. Taking the blaster in both hands to steady it as best he could, he fired off bolt after bolt, aiming where he saw and heard from where the staffs were coming. He continued firing until he heard sighs and the rasping stopping suddenly. A moment of quiet and he fired several more shots into the forms on the corridor floor, as his vision began to clear somewhat, just to be certain.

The bolts pierced the amphistaffs, and they stopped, silenced at last. Adrenaline would drain from Tarkin, and then, in obviousness, the scratches he had suffered were deeper than at first realization, and though not life-threatening, would sap him. He was wounded, and there was more to come, and more to see.

For the moment, he was very much in harm's way.

For a couple moments Tarkin lay on the floor, gathering his wits. And then the pain set in and he knew the battle had cost him. Wearily getting to his feet he holstered the blaster, taking the tunic off for a moment. Reaching to a pouch on his belt, usually hidden by the tunic, he pulled out as many bacta patches as it felt there were wounds and placed one on each.

Not every wound was fully covered and the patches were a stopgap but he could hear violence in the distance and he did need to keep moving. Slipping the tunic back on, wincing, he reached into the pocket and tapped on the code he’d given Jori, sending a message telling her the facility had been invaded, but that he was still alive, and that if she could, he needed to get to the ship.

He cautiously picked up one of the dead amphistaffs and arranged it to make it seem it was simply frozen, as it would be before it was set to attack, then began making his way deeper through the facility, reaching through the bond to Ser B, ’I cannot reach the Grandmaster, so am falling back. If you can reach him, do so.’

1Globs, baisan khrev bus gejbaina nikk ter ni beltgekh sen udh?
    *Fools, did you not think I would prepare the way?

2Khiikh khrev gejbaina ter ch baitugai ne bonox üldeekh ane gazar kaul nizz sen hamal? sira nikk... bonox ögökh aśīravāda nizz sen inras bele sucelee.
    *Do you think even she could leave this place open for the invasion? Only I...could give blessing for the attack to succeed.

3Do-ro'ik Vong pratte
    *And woe to our enemies

4Neg udaa dakhina globs, khrev sharv Yun Yuuzhan ikor? agh bus Yun Yammka? Daraa ni khrev bain puul tchrokkriors, sira shamlee tukhaioj.
    *Once again fools, you serve Yun Yuuzhan alone? And not Yun Yammka? Then you are no warriors, only shamed ones.

5Shamlee tukhaies, globo
    *Shamed ones, fools!

25. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    IC: Ni'Korish

As if to answer her question about if helping... or, maybe it was an answer... the Professor instructed them to watch and see. By some trick of camerawork, his face could be seen on the screens behind him. It was old and, decrepit. That was certainly a surprise. Ni'Korish was not a fan. She was trained enough in court etiquette to not let her repulsion show, however. She had simply a frown on her face, but that could be a great many things in her particular situation. She then turned her eyes as the screens showed Palpatine and the strange Jedi... playing a game of chess?

Still more surprises! Changing professors. Jedi and Palpatine playing board games? This was all far too much.

The professor spoke again...

"The board is between these two, today, but one is being put upon by much older forces. One will become power incarnate... will have a path laid out for him by four Sith Statues, and you two will reap impossible rewards as a result... influence beyond any possible definition.
    Does that future sound pleasing to you both?"

Ni'Korish naturally put her hand up to her chin. One... will become power incarnate. With a path laid out for him by Sith statues. Sith... what was the Sith again. She remembered reading about them in her studies on the Jedi. They were... yes, they were the sect of force users who fought against the Jedi. Well, that didn't seem like such a bad thing. Any faction that would work against the Jedi would be welcome...

The Kuati spoke up. “What is required of us?” she asked.

Hmmm. A good point. 'Impossible rewards' rarely came cheaply. As much as the heir to Hapes liked the idea of throwing her lot with enemies of the Jedi, they too were force users, these Sith. Would they just be another flavor of Jedi trickery? And did that mean Palpatine was a force user? Or maybe... would become one of these Sith? That would sour the friendship they had been working to create. How could she ever feel comfortable around him, knowing this.... man.... could trick her mind. The very idea was repulsive, deeply wrong.

She snapped back to the moment. Yes, the Kuati had the right tone here.

"Yes," she chimed in. "Rewards and influence are always... pleasing... but the price must be right. What do you propose?"

She tried to keep her mind clear as she waited on the Professor's response. If he was one of these... Sith... she wanted to make it difficult for him to use any of his mind tricks.

Tag: @Sinrebirth , @TheAdmiral

darthbernael and TheAdmiral like this.