main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Blu-Ray/DVD (US dates: March 13th Digital and March 27th Blu-Ray/DVD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 18, 2017.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    watching Last Jedi on May the 4th (still an hour to go when I started!) and using the DVD that came with the Wal Mart exclusive blu ray combo pack to watch it outside of my home, thanks bundled DVD that I only use!

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah. Definitely possible he was just throwing a bunch of b.s. out there at that moment. After all I am sure a lot of his listeners are the 'take no crap' type of people and him saying something like that would probably make them like his channel even more. If he is telling the truth though (and if he is I would imagine he probably had a job lined up to go to already before he quit) most of the time burning bridges like that will more times than not catch up to people after awhile and that is why people are usually advised to part ways amicably with their places of work.

3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I work and travel a lot, still I could manage time to do multiple repeat viewings of all new SW movies.

Only things that make really difficult to go watch a movie are: no money, small kids, health issues (you or a family member), and other kinds of important stuff.

But a 8x5 job? No way that is a reason.

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Or each episode of Mad Men. Seriously, the commentary approach to that series is stunningly thorough.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The numbers released their accurate US combined Blu-Ray & DVD data for week 9 for The Last Jedi. Here’s a comparison of recent Star Wars data through week 9.

NOTE: Keep in mind that digital purchases from ITunes & Amazon don’t count the same way and inevitably more viewers are moving to those options over traditional physical copies over the 3 years from TFA to present day. This viewer shift is likely to continue.

• The Force Awakens - Week 9 Domestic - $145,749,882.00

• Rogue One - Week 9 Domestic - $69,710,841.00

• The Last Jedi - Week 9 Domestic - $84,510,286.00

• Through week 9 RO was down 52% from TFA in Domestic Blu-Ray/DVD sales.

• Through week 9 TLJ down 42% in Domestic Blu-Ray & DVD sales over TFA.

• Through week 9 TLJ is up 21% over RO in Domestic DVD & Blu-Ray sales.

Neither movie performed as well domestically as TFA either obviously at the box office so not a huge surprise. The first Star Wars film of every new trilogy always is a monster in comparison to the others.

No idea on streaming differences or how viewer preference shifts in mediums factors into this or the “All Star Wars movies hit Netflix now” mentality changes things over the years for those with Netflix subscriptions that are buying less discs overall. Sales or physical media are down all over. Even with Marvel movies in comparison to earlier ones.

All disc sales are way down for all studios in Hollywood:

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/home-entertainment-spending-2017-1202658638/

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Agreed. I lament the fact that we’ve never gotten GL-only commentary tracks on his films.
    Multiple tracks is the way to go!

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  7. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    What is th highest selling Blu-Ray of 2018?

8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Format (estimate) / The Last Jedi / Black Panther
    In release / 23 weeks / 16 weeks
    DVD / 850,273 / 1,185,987
    Bluray / 3,019,432 / 2,626,921
    Total / 3,869,705 / 3,812,908

Black Panther came out nearly 2 months after TLJ (March vs. May. There's 3 Marvel releases a year instead of 1 a year making the aftermarket a tougher prospect when divided. Even people who hate TLJ bought the movie, including people on Youtube to pick it apart whether they sat out Solo or not; just like one can't count box office as every single person liking the movie. SW has much more of a dedicated hardcore fanbase than Marvel which is why SW has the highest Thursday preview numbers and Marvel doesn't even when their movies go on to make more at the box office.

SW movie Blu-ray excluding DVD (life-to-date estimate)
    VII - 5,927,719 (126 weeks)
    RO - 3,105,929 (76 weeks)
    VIII - 3,019,432 (23 weeks)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    2Cleva and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    TLJ is the 11th highest grossing film of all time and is the best selling blu-ray of 2018, what a disaster of a film.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    MaciekRS, WebLurker, Serfer and 8 others like this.
  10. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Not to mention the biggest opening-following week box office drop in history as well.

It certainly covered all the bases, that's for sure.

11. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Which does nothing to discredit the good numbers TLJ got and is still getting.

12. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    [​IMG]
    https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2018

For example, Coco is an excellent performer on home video because TLJ sold ~3x the tickets of Coco but there's a small difference in the number of physical units sold estimated. TLJ sold ~2x the tickets of Thor Ragnarok but there's a small difference between them on physical video estimated. Etc. for whatever those estimates are worth.

13. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    TLJ is still #1 on disc sales? Great hold on these sales.

Contreras1991 and jaqen like this.
  14. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Given the once in a lifetime cultural event that Black Panther was, and the lack of expectation deflation or online criticism it had in comparison to TLJ from some Star Wars fans, I'm actually shocked that Black Panther wasn't trending to be like a million up on TLJ. And now that Black Panther is on Netflix, just as TLJ is, I imagine a lot of sales of both flatten until perhaps Christmas season.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    jaqen likes this.
  15. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yeah, same. I personally predict that Infinity War will surpass both of them in sales considering the massive pop culture phenomenon that it is.

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Infinity War is a monster. One of the biggest movies ever made with the most super heroes ever. Totally agree.

jaqen likes this.
  17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    [​IMG]

EHT, Ricardo Funes and Vicarious Fan like this.
  18. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    but how could it sell so much? more then HALF of the fan base absolutely hated it! We know this for a fact because of angry youtube videos and RT scores

WebLurker and Ricardo Funes like this.
  19. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    The people that hated it are included in the 94% of people that haven't bought it on DVD or Blu-ray that saw it in the theater. They can't prevent the people that already liked it from spending money on it. Though I'd offer that there's people that didn't like it that bought it to pick it apart either on their Youtube channels or some obsessive-compulsive collector reasons.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  20. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    ...now I’ve heard everything.

Imagine being caught up in not liking a movie so much it MADE you buy it. What’s next?

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I learned in another thread that only hardcore fans buy physical media. That's a first. Never heard in my life that beta/vhs/laserdisc/DVD/Blu-ray sales for films were driven only bye hardcore fans.

But since TLJ is (so far) the highest selling Blu-ray of 2018 (and has outsold 2017's top earner, supposed ubiquitous fan favorite Rouge One) I imagine TLJ must have a ton of "hardcore fans".

22. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I am one who thinks that the disc sales are more for the more passionate fan than just the casual audience. Especially nowadays with the physical media facing so much competition.

But, these great sales either mean that TLJ has a lot of hardcore fans, or that casual audiences liked it enough to pay a good amount of money to have it at home.

Either way, it is a win for TLJ !

jaqen likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Clearly the TLJ Blu-ray/DVD sales breakdown is as follows:

50% bought it to burn it in a bonfire
    49% bought it for their YouTube videos, then burned it in a bonfire
    1% liked the movie

:rolleyes:

24. sithgungan

sithgungan Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2018
    I absolutely love TLJ, but just pointing out that I don't like AOTC or ROTS but still bought them on DVD because I wanted the behind the scenes stuff

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

25. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I know someone who hates the Last Jedi... who is absolutely venomous towards it, but still went out and bought the blu ray anyway... because he "has to have them all". [face_dunno]