main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Blu-Ray/DVD (US dates: March 13th Digital and March 27th Blu-Ray/DVD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 18, 2017.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If there ever is a SW movie released that I hate... I'll probably still buy it. I like having all the SW DVDs/Blu-rays. It's the completist in me, I suppose.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I am in a very, very small minority there. TLJ is selling well because it's a well-liked film. It would be selling even better if it wasn't as divisive, but that's where we are.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    The conspiracy theorists will probably come up with reasons to "prove" that the movie was a failure despite the BluRay sales. Heck, back when the movie was in theaters, I recall seeing nutjobs explaining these odd reasons why TLJ "failed" at the box office despite being the best-selling movie of the year.

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I wouldn't even assume that. Rogue One was the opposite of divisive among the fanbase, and it sold the most Blu-rays in 2017. And TLJ still outsold it, despite physical media becoming less and less viable with each passing year, and it's not even Christmas yet.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Fair enough.
    I think it's clear that it would sell better if it weren't so divisive. However, how much better is another question.

5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    That's if you believe it was "so divisive". I don't. I think it was divisive among diehard fandom, which isn't nearly enough to have any kind of great effect one way or another.

General audiences drive sells, and it's the general audience that made it the top grossing film of 2017 and now (so far) the top selling home media product of 2018. By no typical standards did this movie suffer because of any widespread, considerable divisiveness.

I'm one who doesn't believe there's evidence that any Star Wars episode has been greatly affected by divisiveness. This reminds me of how many diehards swore TPM would crash and burn on home media because "everybody" hated it, and both the VHS and DVD are among the fastest selling pieces of home media.

6. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Why are we talking about this in early September? Is it because they expect IW to overtake it before the books actually close for 2018?

7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Something like 70 million people saw TLJ. If even 0.003 of those who saw it are angry enough to really focus on it that's 210,000 super pissed off people out of 70 milllion who saw it who are very active online in communities and comments sections and on RT. The angriest fans can easily be oversampled as a presence online in the vast majority of people who saw it just thought, "That was pretty solid" and then just moved onto other movies after that. The biggest criticisms for the movie have consistently been deeply personal and/or really specific logistical complaints related to lack of realism. A complaint that anyone who doesn't like any Star Wars at all could lobby at most of the episodes if they truly wanted to.

So, I agree with you. Especially on RT, I'm just not convinced it's representative of anything in particular beyond the fact that those who don't like TLJ really seem to hate it with a passion. The question is how many of those 70 million, including the neighbor who goes to see maybe a movie every 5 months, or the person at work who's only really seen the new Star Wars movies at all, or the people under 15 who saw this movie with their family, feel the same way as those who hate it? When you see 410,000 samples on IMDB closer to the 7.2 range out of 10 and 7.1 range out of 10 on Douban and some others it suggest that RT was indeed the outlier of the large sample sites with it's 5.8 out of 10 score because if the movie was as divisive for even the casual fans as RT suggests then you'd see those 5.8 out of 10 assessments at IMDB and Douban as well. Even just the fact it hasn't been universally the same at large sample websites is an indicator that it's not as clear cut as it sometimes is presented on forums like this one.

Cave of Erised and jaqen like this.
  8. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I didn't say it suffered. I said it would have done better had not so many (of the more passionate) fans been disappointed. Technically, ten people more buying it would mean it sold better. ;)

9. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    Maybe, maybe not, but i dont think so at the levels of force awakens , that movie had a massive hype, those 10 years without star wars movies (plus more than 30 years of post return of the jedi) helped a lot

jaqen likes this.
  10. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I finally watched TLJ on 4k Vudu. Its quite nice, the dolby vision was tastefully done. TLJ is starting to grow on me a bit with repeat viewings.

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The Force Awakens was an event film. As all opening episodes in each trilogy are. The second and third films do extraordinarily well, but they never even remotely touch the numbers done by the opening episodes.

Even in that TLJ acts as previous sequel episodes did.

Cave of Erised and Ricardo Funes like this.
  12. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    My feeling is that TLJ did very well at the box office by any reasonable standard and the home video sales are quite good as well, however, I suppose without the backlash it could have done even better. It will be very interesting to see how 9 does.

Cave of Erised and Ricardo Funes like this.
  13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I imagine way less than TFA, but more than TLJ.

Just like every other third episode in a SW trilogy.

14. darthgator1217

Apr 25, 2005
    I would agree. That’s what happened with the PT if I am not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    That's what happened with both the OT and the PT.

Difference is that ROTJ made just a little more than TESB, while ROTS made significantly more than AOTC.

16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    TLJ is no longer the top selling BR/DVD of 2018. BP has officially passed it, and the divide will continue to grow because BP is still a top ten selling title, whereas TLJ isn’t in the top 20 at all.

I’m curious about IW though. I’m wondering if that will be a TFA-style phenomenon in sales. I was kind of shocked, but then I don’t typically follow these things, to see that IW going on sale caused the other Avengers movies to jump to the top 20 in sales. Does anyone know if TFA jumped similarly as TLJ was released?

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/research/top-20-sellers-for-week-ended-08-18-18/

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2018

Edit - nm I went back to TLJ’s first week and TFA wasn’t in the top 20.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    2Cleva likes this.
  17. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    As much as I love TLJ...I'm okay with this. WAKANDA FOREVAH!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, I feel like I contributed to this because I have bought both on blu-ray.

18. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Here's the head-to-head comparison by weeks in ranking (16 weeks) from the NPD:
    BP: 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 4 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 9 - 5 - 7 - 11
    TLJ: 1 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 5 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 7 - 9 - 14 - 17 - n/a - n/a - n/a - n/a

19. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    Still not bad for a movie that is "supossed to be " controversial. Anyway disney's pockets must be very happy because their IP

Ricardo Funes, jaqen and rorow1 like this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Exactly. Especially when it still sold more than the Rogue One, which is supposedly, according to most on this board at least, not a divisive SW film.

Exactly. Fans are having wars over sales, while Disney (with Marvel and LFL) is laughing all the way to the bank.

21. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    For the record, the headlines that made the rounds last week was Blu-Ray sales exclusively. Black Panther was already leading TLJ in DVD sales at that time and very close in combined sales but those headlines weren’t of combined sales.

Also, for many companies, the new fiscal year starts September 1st anyway. I have no idea where that headline started but if it started as a press release than it’s possible it was built around a fiscal year of September 2017-September 2018. Weird year stuff can also occur for the Academy Awards process but for different reasons. The timing of the talk did make me wonder if it was a fiscal year announcement rather than a calendar year announcement.

jaqen likes this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I get why they pushed the narrative, even though common sense tells you BP (or possibly IW) would top the list. TLJ did extremely well on all measurable metrics; it's the unabashed most lucrative film of 2017, and still one of the best performing films of all time. The severe minority of vehement bashers of the film worked really hard to paint the narrative of a filed endeavor. Boasting the impressive numbers it's wracked up totally dismantles this false narrative for anyone not viewing the film through a thick gauze of hatred.

23. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    It would end September 30th if anything, because they're usually broken down quarterly and that gets confusing when you atomize the months into any of the 12. Usually, it's end of March, end of June, end of September, or end of December since those are the 4 easily definable quarters of the year.

Anyway, that article was posted for the feels because they knew BP was about to pass it in a week. TLJ obviously did good numbers, but it was never going to end up the top BluRay of 2018 so they got the good news out while they could.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    2Cleva, jaqen and lavjoricso like this.
  24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Finally got around to watching the film with the score only. It's an enriching experience, not only for hearing all of the nuances in Williams' score, but it also helps to focus in on the characters through their facial expressions and body language rather than relying on dialogue. Now I'm dying for Lucasfilm to release all of the other films with score only. It underlines their strengths as silent films.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've watched the Last Jedi on blu ray at least once a month since it was released! did a Monday Last Jedi, Tuesday Solo viewing back 2 back.