main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Blu-Ray/DVD (US dates: March 13th Digital and March 27th Blu-Ray/DVD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Black Panther has passed up The Last Jedi on home video and DVD, but as of now the most BluRays sold in 2018 is still TLJ. That record could hold. Both weeks 13 and 14 show The Last Jedi selling more BluRays than BP. So TLJ's lead is growing.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    cane_danko and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  2. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Looking back, the Target exclusive BR / DVD set for TLJ is my favorite for any SW movie, so I'm happy it did so well.

cane_danko likes this.
  3. riffwraith

riffwraith Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2018
    Hi all :)

Was hoping someone can fill me in on something. It regards the music only version of TLJ, that supposedly is on the BR vers, but needs to be 'unlocked' somehow. Can someone fill me in here?

Thanks in advance.

4. riffwraith

riffwraith Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2018
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The MPAA released their 2018 report very recently. Keep in mind TFA, RO, and TLJ released pretty early in the year compared to other releases inside a calendar year.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  7. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Yep, and the digital market in 2018 was nearly 4 times bigger than physical. Looks like all the Star Wars fans bought a physical copy of TLJ to add to their collection (I certainly did), but that the broader audience was more impressed by Justice League... The drop from Rogue One is certainly notable as well. It confirms what everyone knows - TLJ is not - by the standards of a Star Wars movie - a particularly popular film.

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I'd like to see the actual numbers (I can't find it on the comScore site) because those rankings don't tell us that much.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  9. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, data like that can be easily misread for any number of reasons.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Nothing is “confirmed” just yet, no matter how much some fans are dying to have their opinions validated by a majority.

I’m not a huge fan of TLJ, but I’m also not determined to twist stats to fit my opinion.

11. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    I didn't 'twist' any stats - I merely drew a perfectly reasonable conclusion from them. Feel free to disagree with me, but how about proposing an alternative interpretation rather than attacking me? For what it's worth, DarthPhilosopher makes a fair point.

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    OK, sure. For example, 2018 featured significantly more massive franchise films than 2017, which could also explain the “drop” from Rogue One to TLJ in digital sales. But there could be myriad other causal variables as well. We just don’t know enough to say. The point is that if you don’t do a proper study with control variables, you can’t determine the primary cause of TLJ dropping from Rogue One digital sales numbers. And in such a case, yes, you are using insufficient data to affirm your opinion. Also known as twisting stats.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  13. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    About DVD/Bluray sales figures.

Total numbers, domestic only. From the-numbers.com
    TFA:$190,468,619
    R1:$84,722,419
    TLJ:$87,409,366
    Solo:$55,820,890

TFA made more than TLJ and R1 put together but physical media has gone down a lot lately.

To compare:
    BvS:$78,487,220
    Deadpool: $107,122,371
    Cap 3, civil war: $80,626,421
    Wonder Woman: $111,862,477
    Moana: $134,723,189
    Black Panther: $94,316,497
    Avengers: IW: $116,785,499
    Incredibles 2:$72,311,269

Interesting that Wonder Woman sold that well compared to Black Panther and IW who made a lot more at the BO.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

14. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Do we even have enough data to measure the success and/or popularity of these things?

I know, for example, that as much as armchair critics like to use Diamond numbers to claim that comic book series are being accepted or rejected by fans, those stats are nowhere near enough to paint an accurate picture (not covering digital and trades, not accounting for production costs and other confidential data that the publishers have, etc.).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  15. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    I have a strong feeling that no amount of data would be sufficient to convince you. A 'proper study with control variables' - please, spare us. Quick boys, let's power up the Large Hadron Collider to confirm The Last Jedi was divisive! Who cares?! Do you have your comments peer reviewed before you post them on this site? You're suddenly asking for a far higher standard of evidence than is reasonable.

And I object to you continuing to accuse me of 'twisting' evidence. It's uncivil, and betrays an emotional response on your part which while perhaps valid, should not be inflicted on me. I'm allowed to disagree with you about these unimportant issues without being accused of acting in bad faith. For the record, I despise misogynists, review-bombers, the alt-right and any moron who would give abuse to the cast or crew of TLJ.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think there’s only one person in this exchange being “emotional.”

topgoalscorer_no11 likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We don't and I doubt that'll change.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Play nice in here, everyone.

19. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Fair enough.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wasn't intending it as a harsh line WL.

Just seems to be a feature of internet discussion where it is thought if X can be somehow demonstrated by Y, then I get to tell Poster 1 s/he's totally wrong and win. As might be evident, I don't agree with that MO.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Unless financial data shows a huge amd defining difference in data sets, almost none of the publicly available data is going to be something you can really judge. Diamond’s comic sales, for instance, are a gold example, because they don’t tell you how many physical copies have ended up in individual customers’ hands but rather how many they’ve sold to stores and the few direct order guys... and of course, it doesn’t cover digital sales at all, which have implicitly been important to the survival and death of a few books at DC, at least.

With films in the home market, we have to account for digital sales, physical sales, pirated versions collectors, streaming on other services, and etc. And between TFA and TLJ, digital and streaming services offer a massive challenge to the idea of finding a judgement between them since their profil grew tremendously even in those two years; for one thing, Netflix and Disney’s deals meant that TLJ wound up on Netflix, but *not* TFA.

Now, I’d say that you probably can compare TLJ and Black Panther, since they were so close together, and enjoy the comparable marketing and digital services. And there, there would seem to be some evidence that Black Panther was a more successful movie.