main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Box Office Discussion (see warning on page 307 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by James T Kirk, Jan 3, 2016.

?

How will Episode VIII's box office draw compare to TFA?

1. It will surpass TFA

13.8%
  2. It will be comparable

38.3%
  3. Drop/Significant drop

47.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    OMG! EVEN THE LETTERS ARE BANANA YELLOW!!!

2. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Well. This movie is going to be huge at the box office.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Just like Daisy Ridley's face!

4. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    It's definitely Daisy in internet disguise, and it appears she has gone "bananas".

Bananakin Skywalker likes this.
  5. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    That Instagram still cracks me up. Whoops, sorry Rian, have a problem unless Rry's ones are "Banana!!"

WookieeRage likes this.
  6. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

Am I missing something? :confused:

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    $1.7 billion - $750 mill domestic - $950 mill from the rest..........

James T Kirk likes this.
  8. WookieeRage

Feb 3, 2016
    It's gonna be "UUUUUUUUUGE!"

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  9. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    It won't beat TFA because it will be more darker. Less repeat viewing, but I think people who was disappointed with TFA will like Episode 8. Episode 8 will probably get somewhere in the 82%-88% range on RT. 750-810 million domestic box office.

10. temtam

temtam Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 27, 2016

If TFA got 93% I think VIII will get higher. It's supposed to be the dark middle chapter which is usually higher rated than the other ones.

11. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    I don't think it will pass TFA, but I think it will come close when it is all said and done. There was very little backlash to TFA like there was with TPM (I know many here complain about TFA being a rehash of ANH, but it's a small niche base of people saying it). So most people who saw TFA will see Episode 8 again, plus the fact that the movie will be marketed with Luke this time will keep some old school casual SW around 1 more movie.

I say this because I knew friends who saw TPM and didn't see AOTC or ROTS because they were so turned off in 1999. They were hesitant to come back to see TFA last year, but ended up liking it so I just don't see a huge dip in box office gross like there was with AOTC and TPM.

But then again, what do I know as I never thought TFA would be Avatar in domestic gross as I was expecting to hate the movie. [face_blush]

12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Seeing as how Rogue One will earn more than $500m at the domestic boxoffice, I think $600m is the floor for Episode VIII, no matter the quality. If it's very good than $700m is the floor.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    On contemporary reviews TESB did far less than ANH, only slightly better than ROTJ. AOTC did slightly better than TPM, but nowhere near as good as ROTS, the best reviewed of the Lucas SW films by far. And ROTS was darker than AOTC.

14. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Let's hope there's no XIII.

15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm okay with more saga films. It just depends on the storyline.

16. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    it's going to beat the force awakens especially with it being the last time we see Carrie in Star Wars

SAM86 likes this.
  17. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    General public sentiment will be awash with thoughts like "Carries last movie role" and "See Princess Leia one last time on screen".

It will produce enormous curiosity and a strong 'emotional event' status to the film.. Just like Paul Walkers death did for Fast and the Furious.

And, yes, it will translate to even higher box office.

18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I hate these circumstances. But you're both right. It will be like Heath Ledger and Paul Walker.

19. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000

It will be very interesting to see how they market the film with Carries passing in mind.

There's obviously a line with regards to taste and tact lurking somewhere. Especially considering Leias scenes were already filmed and said scenes may not be an 'epic farewell' members of the public might falsely build up expectations for. (eg: if shes in a coma)

I'm not a fast and furious movie fan, and never paid attention to its marketing / trailers etc, but did the marketers / studio ever handle it in a tacky or distasteful way? Or was it all class every step of the way.

20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Personally I was ok with the marketing for it. But the ending of the movie itself was a great send off for the actor and character.

For a franchise, some would dismiss as shallow, the ending was rather poignant and touching.

21. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    If they were smart, they wouldn't mention her passing at all in the actual marketing campaign, though they might feature Leia more than they might otherwise. The media will already be all over the "last time we will ever see Carrie Fisher as Leia" story. It could be seen as crass to push that story directly.

cerealbox likes this.
  22. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    No. VII was. You must have missed the inference. It is obvious Finn is Plagueis.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  23. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Regardless of RT score Episode 8 might see a big boost unfortunately because of Carrie Fishers passing. By the way the tone of ROTS,ESB,and AOTC is not what got them higher scores it was the story and execution.

24. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm suspecting a drop just because middle movies in trilogies tend to be the lowest performing… I think, anyway, I'm not an expert. That's just been my impression.

At the same time, though, I'm very hopeful that it will be a much better movie than TFA. Not digging TFA, I love it, just saying I think this one has the potential to be awesome now that the nostalgia stuff is out of the way.

25. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Carrie's death will give some boost but keep in mind that TDK increased from Batman Begins 208M domestic/374M worldwide to 534M/1B boxoffice. Batman sequel had lots of room to grow as far as boxoffice goes, while VIII would basically have to pass TFA's 936M/2B. Likewise, Furious 7 went up from Fast&Furious 6's 238M/788M to 353M/1.5B. Again, lots of room to grow especially thanks to being a monster in China where it made 390M vs TFA's 124M. Early word on Rogue One is that it's doing about 50% of TFA in China and projected final gross is about 63-65M. Even Chinese stars didn't help so it looks like the market is rejecting Star Wars for some reason. Episode VIII shouldn't expect to do much more than TFA.

Moreover, TDK had Joker so that was guaranteed increase regardless of Heath Ledger's passing and Furious 7 added Jason Statham which was Fast&Furious fans dream casting addition. So while Walker and Ledger deaths gave the boost, those movies had other stuff going for them that guaranteed increase in its own right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.