main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I began reading this yesterday and am really liking it. I'll have more to say in a few days but had to find this thread.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That opening scene with the AU Luke was so cool.

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, lot of effort into a "throwaway" scene that really set the tone for things somehow, even if I can't really explain it.

4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    What struck me from the jump as how we get into Paige's head. Most would say huh? But we see Paige for all of...idk a minute or less in the film and here we see how close her and Rose are, their homeworld, the complexity of her job and devotion to it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Well, it does give the character's death more weight with that insight when rewatching the movie. (I'd read that Cobalt Squadron chapter book with Paige as a character long before seeing the movie, so I kinda missed the "oddity" of Paige having a POV section like that, since she'd "always" been a POV movie character to me.)

6. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    It was maybe the best of the new novelizations, although Rogue One and Solo are both healthily in contention. I liked the new scenes, Han's funeral, more time inside everyone's heads (even Ackbar, too briefly) And helping to clarify First Order's history a bit more, too.
    Also, it is Luke's saber that the Lanai caretakers find at the end, isn't it? Or should we now interpret it as Leia's?

Vialco and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Since I'm reading on Kindle I'm almost done, 70%, I'm really enjoying it and all it has to offer. Today I was reading the part where Rey is in Snoke's throne room and really enjoyed the background we get on the First Order, it's the most I've seen so far and helps explain how Sloane among others are no longer present. Also, I'm going to assume the Supremacy was being built all those years in the Outer Rim?

Also the scene where Leia is using the Force to return to the Raddus is interesting in that we learn that Luke told her she had access to the Force her whole life.

8. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Okay so I just finished and loved it. I really think it added a lot in its new scenes and expanded ones. I liked it more than I thought I would and that isn't because I didn't like the movie but the detail it provided.

DarkRula, jasonfry and Grievousdude like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I finished this a few weeks ago, y'know what my favourite stuff was? Basically the POV of BB-8 and Artoo having to coax complaining starship computers into doing their bidding, basically it's like astromechs are little portable theraptists for whiny ship computer cores. Oh and the POV of Snoke was pretty great too, especially having read it after TRoS and I was trying to read it as if it's Palpatine's thoughts and, y'know, it kinda works.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    PCCViking likes this.
  10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I do wonder at the conspicuous absence of Luke’s green lightsaber in all the Ach-To scenes. I’m more and more convinced that he threw it away after his disastrous attempt to peer into Ben’s mind and his subsequent murder attempt.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I think Luke busted out of the wreckage not holding his lightsaber and when he saw the devisation and realizing his failure he just left without retrieving it.

Vialco likes this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011