main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The novelizations, to my knowledge, have always been canon unless they contradict something in the movie or in later media, like Owen and Obi-Wan being related.

So, out of all the R1 adaptations, the movie is considered the ultimate canon, with the book and comic being just below that except where it contradicts them, or they're contradicted by other material like Rebel Rising. This is because of how the pipeline for the novelizations and adaptations works, being developed during the movie's production.

2. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    All pre-disney takeover novelisations are, despite Del Rey's determination to put them on their website are effectively non-canon. This is because the official confirmation was that, "the pre-disney novels are canon when they align with the movies only" .

This means therefore that all extra stuff in the books, (obi wan brother etc) is non-canon, and all material depicted in the movies is also non canon as the film takes precedent and goes down as artistic licence.

Post disney is similar but slightly different. The films take precedent like always and scenes directly depicted in books or comics all gone down as artistic licence too as what shown on screen is the canon version. Anything extra, is canon.

with regards to R1, aside from the novels there are no different grades of canon, so Rebel Rising does not take precedent over the R1 comic adaptation. I think you are referring to the mistake with early Jyn shown in the R1 comic. This would just go down as a mistake.

3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I recall the pre-disney novelization statement. I don't recall any such statement for ST novelizations or other NEU materials, so that has always been an ill-defined area of gray we tend to hash out on the boards.

I'm wondering if you are confusing official canon statements with general fan assumptions.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would take the new canon-era novelization the same way as I'd take any other new canon work: a depiction of the same underlying story.

Some details may differ in the telling.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I always thought that the expanded upon scenes, for example, Rey considering selling BB-8 was canon.

6. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Kaaaaaaaaaahn

7. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Delaying this book is probably because it has October (A Certain Point of View), December (Canto Bight) March (The Last Jedi). We have to wait until at least May to get a real novel #****mylife

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    What is a "real" novel?

Vthuil, BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and 3 others like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    When you wish upon a star....

Oh wait no that's a different thing, nevermind.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If Jason writing the novelization isn't a "real" novel, then apparently I am super into reading books that aren't "real". ;)

--Adm. Nick

11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Something makes me think its the whole "Hate New Canon! Want Legends Back!" again.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It's the view that a YA novel 'doesn't count'.

I'd pick up Lost Stars or the recent Leia novel again over Heir to the Jedi or Phasma, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    In my experience there's a very strong correlation between the two. But that's neither here nor there.

There's always only ever been a few SW novels a year- this is nothing new. Only now that the NuEU has been established for a few years are we starting to see an increase in output. And even then, I wouldn't want them to just churn out a million books at the expense of quality.

Sinrebirth and Vthuil like this.
  14. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Strong correlation between over-attachment to Legends and saying Young Adult novels don't count? I haven't seen evidence for this--from what I recall it's the hardcore Legends fans (I'm not correlating these with new canon rejecters, I'm a hardcore Legends fan who is open-minded to and reading the new canon but honestly not liking much of what I see so far) still trying to make the Young Adult Glove of Darth Vader books still fit.

Galaxy of Fear and the Young adult Jedi Apprentice/Quest novels form a huge swath of Legends, and I don't remember many Legends fans saying they don't count.

kalzeth likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well the timeline in Legends novels dropped the YJK/JKK ones from the timeline.

And never mentioned all the YA ones. So.....

But I LOVE the YA stuff.

16. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Those timelines on the first pages of Del Rey novels? Those pages were made by publishers, not Legends fans...

Daneira likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I know, but my point is that YA novels didn't count to some extent. The YJK/JJK ones did at some point before being removed from the Del Rey novels.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  18. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    The YJK/JJK books were not published by Del Rey, so their removal from the timeline was a specific decision when it became clear that the timeline would only us DR titles. Also as the timeline began to grow and needed some redesigns, decisions were made to condense it when possible.

As always, using the presence or absence of a book from the DR timeline as some sort of value judgement is a bad idea (whether you're talking Legends or canon).

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Definitely a bad idea.

20. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    DarthInternous: Are there story related reasons that the TLJ Novelization will get such a late release date?

kalzeth likes this.
  21. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Story reasons?

22. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Yes, maybe some last minute changes that don't appear in the script.

23. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Such a bummer this will be the last Star Novel ever...since all signs clearly point to Disney ending all Star Wars literature publishing, what with all the stories they are publishing on a regularly basis.

Double meaning for the title...

Been fun, folks. When is the planned shut down of the TFN lit forums? April?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Stymi.

25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Sinrebirth?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing