main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. The Boards Are Now Reopened For Business:

READ THIS: your ability to post here depends upon it.. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

ST THE LAST JEDI mirroring (specifically AOTC/ESB/TLJ)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HevyDevy, Feb 14, 2020.

1. chained_vulptex

chained_vulptex Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2020
    ^ A baptism by water and a baptism by fire. [face_thinking]

MarcJordan, JeanNo and HevyDevy like this.
  2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Good call.

I thought it was cool that Kylo was healed by a machine, then later by a loved one's touch.
    Anakin starts the trilogy within his mother's embrace (literally and figuratively) and then has Padme's touch. When he loses these he ends up healed by machines and only bound to Palpatine.

Reverse direction.

3. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Of course this - PT Anakin - was definitely already inverted in the OT.

You see Anakin's red electronic vision as the mask comes down for the first time in ROTS, adding further poignancy (and actually making the dialogue literal) when he says "Let me look on you with my own eyes".

Tying it back to the ST I can only imagine this is similar to what Ben is feeling about Rey when he finally smiles at the end of the trilogy.

4. chained_vulptex

May 12, 2020
    I don't know if this was mentioned, (and it's not so much a "mirroring" as just a point I guess), but I think someone (maybe you Hevy?) already touched upon it. - Rey's hair style change. Someone (again, was it you Hevy? hehe) Said she changed it, as in - "becoming a woman" sort of, growing up/transitioning. Which is a good call.
    I find it interesting because it happens right after seing Kylo half-nude in the force bond (lmao), but by accident when plunging into the water and having that trip session.

Now, she's not had the same hair-do since she was a kid by random, by chance, by never washing it - so she obviously chose to wear it that way. (I assumed because she wanted to be easier to find for her parents? Kinda like you'd hold onto a bracelet or something. Her hair style was quite unique - but easy to maintain/keep in the enviroment she lived in) - so I'm guessing the hair style change (however accident, obvously wasn't an accident in the narrative) is because her priorities changed / a sign of her coming of age in a way.

I know in some narratives, a woman letting her her loose (or halfway or just "down" from what it usually is) is seen as something intimate, something only for the close ones to see. So I'd wager it's not by chance that it happens between the intimate force bonding with Kylo, and as a result of her "bad trip" and self-exploration in that underwater cave. [face_thinking] [face_shhh][face_shhh][face_blush]

Also, I guess there's a similar point to be made to fore example Leia's hair style change in the originals too. And probably a ton of other hair styles too, (not just female ones)

MarcJordan and HevyDevy like this.
  5. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I can't take credit for that, no :p

Interesting though.

The change in her look in TLJ does seem intentional, though not intentional on Rey's part I suppose (which you hinted at).

You've said more on it I than I could contribute further to. [face_blush]

The hairstyle changes were sometimes significant yes.
    Leia has the iconic buns in ANH (her first film) where Padme wears similar in ROTS (her last).
    The most significant change that comes to mind for Leia is the Ewok village with her hair fully down. When the main characters are all getting more in touch with nature.

Obi-Wan has the short hair and padawan-braid in TPM, then Anakin sports similar it in AOTC, with Obi-Wan having a "Jedi mullet" as Ewan McGregor called it. Then in ROTS Anakin now has the longer hair, arguably a little bit of a mirror to Qui-Gon. As a side-note I thought Anakin's style was really fitting in ROTS.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. chained_vulptex

May 12, 2020
    LMAO. [face_laugh][face_love]

Leia also has the long braid when enslaved. The hair being a mix of "intimate" (down), but also "tamed" (braided) and also serving as a similarity to the literal chain.

And yeah! Intentional in the narrative, but not on Rey's concious part.

HevyDevy likes this.
  7. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Wait a minute, didn't Leia say "I know what you're going to say. I've changed my hair"? :D RJ reading fans' minds maybe. :p

MJ

chained_vulptex likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Feige's #1 Fan and Ryan Church Aficionado star 6

Apr 6, 2018
    The Jedi mullets rhyme. They’re like poetry.