main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Ratings Thread *poll included*

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

?

I've seen THE LAST JEDI & it was...

1. [Insert outlandish superlative here]!! - 10/10

9.4%
  2. Incredible - 9/10

14.7%
  3. Most impressive - 8/10

11.5%
  4. Good, goood - 7/10

7.9%
  5. Anything else? - 6/10

5.2%
  6. Balance of light & dark - 5/10

3.1%
  7. I don't think so - 4/10

6.8%
  8. Now, matters are worse - 3/10

8.4%
  9. What a piece of junk - 2/10

16.2%
  10. Don't be ridiculous, no way it was this bad - 1/10

16.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Rob

The Rob Jedi Grand Master

Aug 30, 1999
    Im just going to say that I think there is something wrong with both of those scenarios lol

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's childish.

3. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    Great addition to the saga, not the best but 8/10. I love whole Luke (this is MY Luke), Rey and Kylo arcs in this film, I dont care about Finn&Rose part. Certainly top half of the SW films and I really dont understand some bad reactions.

4. The Rob

The Rob Jedi Grand Master

Aug 30, 1999
    I agree, since TPM was geared towards children and TLJ plays like it was written by one.

Jedha likes this.
  5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Isn’t all Star Wars geared towards children?

Link1130 likes this.
  6. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I gave it a 7/10. I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about this movie. One year on, there are aspects that I still can't accept. Poe Dameron's prank call to Hux still grates on me as does Luke's tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder.

Canto Bight was a real wasted opportunity. I was hoping for a trip to the Star Wars galaxy's Las Vegas and a look at the seedier side of galactic life. Instead, we got a rather twee subplot.

I can't say that I don't enjoy the movie, because I certainly do. I really enjoy the scene in Snoke's throne room and the battle on Crait. I can accept Luke's development and I thought that his death was fitting.

I definitely enjoyed this movie more on my first viewing as there was a real sense of suspense and a lot of big surprises. I can accept and appreciate the movie, but certain aspects will always niggle at me.

TOASTEROVEN and Guidman like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think the general consensus is that Star Wars is "family entertainment," and therefore can appeal to all ages. Though the PG-13 ratings suggest that the age range is 13 and above, which does not include children. I think Star Wars films and TV shows are likely to become more niche in their appeals, as more material comes out. Rogue One, for example, doesn't strike me as a film for children, and I imagine the Cassian show won't be a TV show for children either. While other films and TV shows (like Resistance) will have a younger demographic in mind.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    A year or so on I’d still go with the 8 out of 10 I first gave it.
    After the set up in Force Awakens, Luke was pretty much everything I expected him to be in TLJ.
    “He just..walked away from everything.”..After years of dedicating himself, the ultimate betrayal of trust from his nephew. Being left for dead in the ruins of everything he’d devoted his life to after Endor.
    And yes, admittedly it’s not perfect. But no film is. It’s a terrific Star Wars film though

Ody_Mandrell and Njfritz like this.
  9. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I agree with every word of this.

10/10 for me. Favorite Star Wars content of any kind with a sizable gap between it and ANH (my 2nd favorite.) The scene where The Spark plays is my favorite scene in cinematic history.

10. Njfritz

Njfritz Jedi Master star 3

Oct 2, 2014
    Been awhile since I've been on these boards. Okay so.

On first viewing I would've said 7/10, I was generally not sure what to think.
    But after 10ish viewings, a year later with a LOT of thoughts and discussion on it... its easily my second favorite Star Wars behind Empire. I give it 9.5/10 now. That is my personal rating and I don't see it changing much from here on out. I've seen all criticism and praise, I've heard everyone's thoughts on the film. There's just something about it that clicks for me more so than any other recent Star Wars. Its the only one that actually got me to cry (the yoda scene).

As far as its legacy, there's a lot of thematic layers to it that are easily looked over at first glance. There's a lot to unpack, I mean its obvious there is. People are still talking about it over a year later, as if it just happened, even though ANOTHER Star Wars movie has already happened (Solo). I see people talk about TLJ more than any other star wars now. I remember the prequels getting a lot of hate too, but I was on these boards with a different account around those times. A year after Clones, which respectfully is the equivalent spot TLJ is at now, there wasn't much to talk about the film itself, everyone had already moved on to baseless speculation about III (remember Sidious and Palpatine aren't the same person theory? woosh). People will just not shut up about this movie and that's a good thing, even though I don't agree with what everyone has to say about it.

11. Sarlacc of Carkoon

Sarlacc of Carkoon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2015
    2.7/10

It just didn't feel right...I walked out of the theater thinking ''this is not star wars!''. The scale of the battles were closer to something like battlestar galactica rather than a star wars film. It might've been a good TV show, but I don't think that its a good film. The First Order taking over the galaxy is even more poorly thought out than Darth Krayt's takeover; its just unrealistic that the Republic is gone...just in one swift stroke?
    P.S. How are they gonna write Ep.9? The whole resistance can fit in the falcon, Carrie Fischer is gone, and Kylo Ren is the main villian although he was the least impressive star wars villian I've ever seen.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  12. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I'd give it a 3/10, though I would have ranked it higher coming out of the theater. It really was similar to how I felt about TPM, but I rank it slightly higher. When I first saw TPM, I loved it, because IT'S NEW STAR WARS for the first time in 16 years. However, with each repeat viewing, the flaws began to overwhelm the excitement. Same with TLJ. The visuals were enough to mitigate the flaws on first viewing, but once the awe wore off, they were blatant. Rose is the new Jar Jar, and the whole SpaceVegas story line was just ridiculously bad (I even felt that on first viewing in the theater).

As for Luke's story, though I feel RJ tried way too hard to force in Marvel-esque humor, it makes sense to me. MH calls him the most optimistic guy in the galaxy, but is that true? Now I certainly don't think it would cross his mind to murder his nephew, I can see him blaming himself for his failure and exiling himself from the rest of the GFFA. Sure there are a lot of flaws in the execution, but there are many other issues in this film to criticize before Luke's arc.

Leia Poppins, the criminal misuse of Captain Chromedome, the your mom jokes, WWII-style bombing raid in space, parking ticket tasings, Ms. Purple-haired McGuffin, Snoke's just this dude (or two pieces of a dude), nobody means anything, the list goes on of idiotic scenes and plot points that were worse than Luke's.

Dang it, can I change my score? That list makes me want to give it a .5/10.

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Although not a scientific poll, I noticed last night that TLJ has about 4.25 stars out of 5 on Netflix.

14. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Netflix killed off the ability to star rate and replaced it with thumbs up/down long before TLJ came out, though it still shows up on old, out-of-date Netflix apps.

Business Insider - The exec who replaced Netflix's 5-star rating system with 'thumbs up, thumbs down' explains why

15. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I gave it an 8.
    Even though it went in a direction I didn't really like, I did enjoy the fact that it subverted nearly everything the prediction-nerds were expecting to see.
    Also, I'm not a petulant child who throws a tantrum whenever a film doesn't match my expectations. [face_bleh]

16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Okay, so all of us with older televisions gave TLJ 4 stars.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Great reasoning there, can't argue with that. I recommend every movie by Ed Wood and by Uwe Boll, they will definitely satisfy your criteria for liking a movie to the fullest. Also, you should watch The Room by Tommy Wiseau, any non petulant child will appreciate it for what it is, regardless of expectations.

18. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I give it a strong 8/10, close to a 9.

I was underwhelmed by the space chase and wish they'd gone with a different type of conflict besides being chased while running out of fuel
    for two+ hours.

19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    I checked again last night and now TLJ has 3.75 stars.

20. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    It's supposed to be different for everyone. The % of thumbs up/down and the old star rating is what Netflix thinks an individual account would think of it based on the user's history and those of like minded raters on other titles.

Just like Google personalizes search results to the individual.

I was confused about it years ago myself until I read up that's what they do.

21. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Watched it for the second time a few days ago, with commentary.

The film is okay at best for me in the first half but it really starts falling apart beginning at the third flashback. It's also probably the most boring and least enjoyable to watch movie in the series. I'll echo what other people are saying though regarding the acting -- everyone turns in a good performance, based on what the script asked of them. I guarantee that this movie will not go through some sort of enlightenment phase in which everyone will realize how wrong they were and begin to believe it was no worse than Empire.

I gave it a 4/10. I'd rather watch The Room.

Darth Smurf and DarthFixxxer like this.
  22. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I gave it a 9. Emotionally powerful and some terrific action. A mark off for not leaving an effective cliff hangar at the end. And....Canto Bight. Yeah, those fathiers* look awful.

*Fathiers - a Victorian Gentleman's Club that Mylock Holmes might attend.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I kind of like the porgs . . . but that's it. And they're not strong enough to lift TLJ a whole point on the out-of-ten scale.

1/10

24. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    10/10

TLJ wasn't flawless but it was a bold , daring , fun adventure & a great addition to the Star Wars saga .....

Cave of Erised likes this.
  25. LordOblivion

LordOblivion Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2006
    3/10

A beautifully made this is excessive –Pym. The tone is inconsistent. Dramatic tention is repeatedly killed by dumb out of place humor. The characters do really stupid things, and large portions of the movie are completely pointless. Finn and Rose accomplish absolutely nothing. Poor decision making within the ranks of the Resistance get almost all of their forces killed. Haven't watched it in over a year, and I'm not particularly excited for Episode lX.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2019
    11-4D, DarthFixxxer, 2Cleva and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.