main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi Ratings Thread *poll included*

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

?

I've seen THE LAST JEDI & it was...

1. [Insert outlandish superlative here]!! - 10/10

9.4%
  2. Incredible - 9/10

14.7%
  3. Most impressive - 8/10

11.5%
  4. Good, goood - 7/10

7.9%
  5. Anything else? - 6/10

5.2%
  6. Balance of light & dark - 5/10

3.1%
  7. I don't think so - 4/10

6.8%
  8. Now, matters are worse - 3/10

8.4%
  9. What a piece of junk - 2/10

16.2%
  10. Don't be ridiculous, no way it was this bad - 1/10

16.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    9 out of 10 for me. The second best film in the SW saga for me.

2. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    Pro Edit: Just going to edit out the whole thing a Bash/Rant.

Please learn to criticize constructively.
    We're not interested comments along the lines of...OMG, IT'S TEH WURST!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
    Darth Smurf and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Deep breaths.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The best looking movie in the disney era. I gave it a 9.

5. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi is one of the worst experiences I've ever had at the theater and I can remember going to the theater since the early 1980s.

The movie is the culmination of everything I've complained about in movies over the decades: very bad humor, way too many characters and stuff going on which also balloons the run time, unlikable and uninteresting characters, many annoying 'gotcha!' swerves resulting a story told in zig zag lines, and literally hundreds of posts I've made in more detail in the Sanctuary and Criticism threads here and on other websites. Additionally the movie fails as a second act movie to set up anticipation for the finale and it doesn't work as a Star Wars episode in general. Episode IX will have to invent its own hype from scratch and from SW movies that were not titled Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

It is a movie so bad I had to deduct an additional point later on which is very rare for me after initially rating it because its flaws are so numerous that to truly comprehend them all takes a lot more time. It also goes to my general thesis that good movies do not have nor need writer/director explainathons and defensive articles long after a movie has opened.

Rating: 3/10

6. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Watched the entire Saga during Christmas with my nieces (15 and 16), who had never seen Star Wars before. Their favorite characters were Anakin, Padme, Yoda, Han, Leia, and Luke.

They were very into TFA and the introductions of Rey, Finn, and Kylo, but suddenly everything shifted when we came to The Last Jedi. When Luke was introduced, they kept saying, "That's not Luke." They had just seen Luke keep faith in Vader's goodness to great success, so seeing him so faithless and cynical in The Last Jedi seemed bizarre to them. They didn't enjoy it, and especially didn't like watching Rey interact with Luke, which they had been looking forward to.

They also reacted strongly to Rey developing a close relationship with "toxic" Kylo, which they perceived as exactly the kind of thing women of their age and generation are too smart to do, and therefore disliked what Rian was doing to the new heroine, and didn't buy it.

Then they wondered why R2 and 3PO didn't play a bigger role, and why Luke died merely from projecting his image.

I was deeply interested in their reactions because I've often wondered if my dislike for The Last Jedi was just a result of biases I developed over the years. In reality, this is partially true, but not in a bad way: turns out my expectations and values were created by the films themselves. My nieces were proof of this, as watching the Saga had affected them the same way as it had me. We loved many of the same characters and ideas, and then hated the way these things were contradicted in The Last Jedi.

So yes, I can only rate it a 1-2, and I hope LFL does whatever they can to repair a movie that damages the story and characters so badly. Keep the faith people, like Luke did in his father. Star Wars can be saved; it's not damaged forever.

starocean90, afrojedi, 11-4D and 11 others like this.
  7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Bait removed.

/heels

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
  8. Darth Rinny

Darth Rinny Jedi Padawan

Jan 12, 2019
    This seems like a good place to make my first post.

I was extremely confused by the decisions that the characters made throughout this movie. Why did Rey go from hating Kylo, to putting her life on the line to save his soul? Why couldn't Finn and Rose just park legally, or park in a hiding spot? Why exactly did Kylo betray Snoke, before completing his training? Was that jab at his helmet really that serious? Why didn't Hold tell Poe her plan, even as it was being carried out? And so on.

The movie, I feel, was entirely to meta, with all the 'subversions'. This is especially clear with Rey and her parents. Johnson said that Rey finding out her parents were nobodies would be the hardest thing she had to hear (i.e. the opposite of Luke), but that makes no sense. First, it makes Rey look very superficial, and second, it seems to imply that she didn't know who her parents were at all. So, who was she waiting for on Jakku?

The humor was just way to Marvel-like. The yo mama/phone call joke, slapstick Hux, and basically all of Canto Bight. The only time I laughed was when Luke trolled Rey with the blade of grass.

All things considered, I give it a 2/10. I thought some of the visuals were fantastic, but that's about it.

9. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    First off, welcome.

I want to address this question in particular. Although I enjoyed TLJ, I'm not interested in necessarily trying to lure you over the other side or anything. However, I want to speak about this question because the answer to this question is interesting and, more importantly, kind of relates well to the discourse surrounding TLJ.

In TFA and early on in TLJ when Rey hate Kylo Ren she didn't really know him. He was a monster who did terrible things (in general and to her specifically) and wanted to do further terrible things and that was all. The end.

In TLJ, later on when they're forced to really just talk to each other and neither is in any mortal danger from each other she gets to know him better. She is given a window to better understand why he is the way he is. This doesn't excuse the things he had done or causes her to believe that what he wanted to do was right. But she now sees that he had some traumatic experiences, experienced some of the same kind of loneliness she had felt, and she can see more more as a real person and not just a faceless monster. I think also her disappointment in Luke Skywalker at that point, the way he didn't meet her expectations, kind of prompted her to see things from a different angle when she may not have otherwise.

To answer your question, seeing Kylo Ren as a person instead of a monster and understanding some of the things that led to him making the choices he had prompted Rey to consider the possibility that he could be saved. Add in a (forged?) Force vision that tells her that he will be saved gives her even further confidence in her actions from that point. (Also, as an aside, consider she also first gave Luke the opportunity to come back with her and only ran off to try and save Kylo when Luke turned her down).

I think this is particularly interesting because it kind of matches the trap we fall into when speaking with each other online. Now, you've just joined and I don't know you so this probably doesn't apply to you specifically, but I'm speaking in generalities. When we run into someone who disagrees with us on the internet all we know is that they don't agree with us. We don't know them as a person. It is very easy to define them entirely based on a single opinion and, worse than that, think of the very worst traits we've seen anyone who has also held this opinion have and then apply those traits to this person. We see them only as a monster and act accordingly. If we only knew the other person as a real life human being, we might be more willing to have a meaningful conversation or at least let bygones be bygones, even if we're unlikely to actually convince them to agree with us.

10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What made Rey think Kylo experienced the same kind of loneliness as her? Especially when her loneliness related to her parents not being around??

11. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    She believes he understands her which would potentially indicate to her that he's experienced something similar to what she's experienced. I don't think he has to have literally been abandoned by his parents in order to feel loneliness.

Darth Gummybear likes this.
  12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    No but I’m asking you what made Rey think that?

13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    And what makes her forget that the reason she’s currently alone is because of Kylo?

14. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    Kylo is not the reason Rey feels alone. He did not cause her parents to abandon her (as far as we know). The loneliness she feels is not about being separated from Finn or the Resistance. It is the long term feeling of abandonment she feels in regards to her real family and being left on Jakku.

That feeling, deep inside her, is something followed up on fromTFA, where Kylo saw in her mind that she was “so lonely” and “afraid to leave.”

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This scenario gets brought up a lot and the explanations lose me every time. If the explanations for why she thought he understood her, or why they thought they had any commonality in the first place, all ask the viewer to ignore what is actually happening and has happened in the galaxy during TFA and TLJ, and just focus on what Rey and/or Kylo feel has happened, or feel, period. There seems to be some disengagement from reality on their part that we are asked to accept as reality despite what we saw play out on screen.

16. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    If pursuing a career is what resulted in Kylo Ren, Leia REALLY obviously put in so much work that being promoted merely to General is a slight. That is not enough recognition. She's still way underpaid and undervalued. To justly square the amount of abandonment Leia must have inflicted on this spawn, Leia should at this time be President, Commander in Chief, Attorney General and Supreme Court Justice of three galaxies, as well as CEO of five galactic versions of apex predator megadigester corporations like...

What is Disney feeding kids as role models?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  17. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    I feel like you guys are really missing the point of my post.

18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think we’re just running into an area where the character interpretation at the heart of your argument simply doesn’t seem anywhere near adequate enough for the logic behind it to apply for us. I mean, a bunch of us critics are looking at the events and characterization of Rey in TFA and finding it as a massive roadblock to the idea of her empathizing with Kylo over loneliness when the film doesn’t maneuver around it or break it down.

It feels like an interpretation that only wants Rey to experience some emotions but not others, where the others are arguably more logical. She’s getting over the pain he caused in TFA far too quickly, and ignoring too many warning signs, and only sees an angle of emotional parallel with him that makes sense of you squint and tilt your head while ignoring why those feelings exist.

And the reason I bring up her loss of Finn and Han thanks to Kylo is because, if we’re talking about loneliness with Rey, than her state of loneliness in TLJ needs to be acknowledged as a result of Finn’s maiming and Han’s death. Pushing past that and ignoring the impediments that would raise to her feeling kinship with Kylo devalues those relationships and the characterization in TFA. And Rey doesn’t really get anything out of it as a character.

There are reasons why some TFA fans find themselves joining the complainers about the overall ST even if they love the “ST3.”

19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Now, matters are worse is in essence how I feel about the matter.

20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Hey, let’s get back to rating the film. There are, like, a billion other threads in which the above discussions can be had.

21. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Goodbye

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
  22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I have voted 2/10 but I would like to change my vote to 1/10. I guess it's not possible officially on the poll, but oh well at least I can mention it in my post.

23. Ginkasa

Jun 13, 2002
    My argument is really best summed up here:

I as stated in the opening line of my post (not quoted), I wasn't particularly trying to convince anyone to like the scene or the execution of it.

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    @Link1130 I’m going to assume you missed the request I gave above to get back on topic. Last warning.

25. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I mentioned in another thread on this sub-forum that I'm starting to rank and rate all of these movies in two different ways; as a critic, and as a fan.

As a critic, I rate this movie like a 7/10. As a fan, I rate it like a 5/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.