main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Last Jedi statistical analysis

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Nadroj ilain, Feb 20, 2018.

1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Interesting. Well then...I'd place my middle of the pack as .... 3: ROTJ 4: R1 5: TFA. I'd say TFA and R1 swap depending on the day, but TLJ actually now drags TFA one spot lower for me. TFA was entertaining, if anything.

2. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    To clarify for me:

1A. ROTJ
    1B. ESB
    1C. ANH

4-5: ROTS/RO (interchangeable)
    6: TPM
    7: AOTC

TFA
    TLJ

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    We already have rankings threads. Would hate to see the thread turn into yet another one. My observation was more that I'm not sure the favorite and least favorite (excluding the most recent film for either) tells us as much about viewer preferences as the 3rd favorite and 4th favorite do. Just my own observation though.

4. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I think TFA did a lot of things right, even though it has some fundamental flaws. For me, it was a really strong base on which to build the sequel trilogy. Yes, it didn't explain much and was too derivative of ANH, but it also introduced some interesting new characters, Rey's Forceback and the intrigue of Luke's exile. I feel TLJ really cheapens and hollows out TFA because much of the story connections are poor or underwhelming and makes its bad points more apparent.

5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I think it's important. If the answer to 1) is No and the least favorite is AOTC it means that there isn't a prejudice against the ST but the disappointment is precisely oriented to TLJ.

IMO if you forget that the story is a soft reboot TFA is a masterpiece, a lecture in movie making. The 6 minutes sequence in which Rey is introduced is brilliant. She doesn't say a word and we get all the information we need about her.

mlsw, MS1 and JDN21 like this.
  6. Nadroj ilain

Nadroj ilain Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    So I have some very rough results for you guys so far...and it's so surprising!

So I've had 38 total replies...

19 said they liked the movie and 19 said they disliked the movie. Jedi Council Forums Rating of 50% Light side and 50% Dark side rating!

Break down of those who LIKED TLJ:

74% of those that liked the movie also liked the prequels (rounded up from 73.6%)
    95% of those that liked the movie were male. (18 out 19 who said they liked the movie so far have been MALE)
    68% of those that liked the movie said their favorite movie was ESB. (The next most liked movie at 10% was ROTS)
    Of those that liked the movie 26% were between the ages of 20-30; 32% were between 31 and 40; and 42% were between 41 and 50.

Break down of those who DISLIKED TLJ:

68% of those that disliked TLJ liked the prequels.
    63% of those who disliked TLJ were Males.
    88% of women that have responded so far have said they disliked the movie. (7 out of 8)
    57% of those who disliked TLJ said ESB is their favorite star wars movie (common ground between "dissenters" and "gushers")
    The next most liked movie was ANH at 21%.
    Of those that disliked TLJ 36% are between the ages of 20 and 30; 36% are between the ages of 31 and 40; and 26% are between 41 and 50.

I should have a better run down of the numbers at the end of the week!

I know the sample size is quite small so far but it does offer up a few interesting discussion points!

The most surprising thing to me so far is that Females seem to dislike TLJ at a very high rate. Surprising because Disney/Lucasfilm really pushed Rey as a revolutionary character and promoted captain phasma quite heavily as well.

Let me know what you guys think of the numbers so far and I hope we get some more participation!

7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    No disrespect but sample sizes of this size are largely trivial. We have a thread with 615 respondents.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/rate-the-last-jedi.50047269/

48% rated it 4-5 out of 5.
    23.2% rated it 0-1 out of 5.

We also had a survey monkey poll that went even more in depth than this back in December/January.

Many of those posters seemed to have left their reviews and left the forums in the chaos and anger of that first month or so. Perhaps they'll return in time now that things have settled back down again and the discussions are becoming more productive again.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018

I dont see the point in belittling this thread so early on. I got bored and decided to post some basic numbers of the responses so far.

Why do you have to respond so dismissively when ANYTHING shines a somewhat negative light on TLJ. In my post i even stated that the sampling size so far is quite small.

People took time out of their day to post on a thread I created and i thought i'd give them some small scale results as to what's been contributed so far.

relapse5127, JamieH, Miriedis and 6 others like this.
  9. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I’m not surprised at all that a lot of women who responded didn’t like the film. Claiming that Rey is a role model and the main character and actually delivering all that are very different things.

I could assemble countless other female fans who were disappointed, both on tumblr and twitter. LFL is delusional if they think the only people who have a problem with the film are mysoginists. They just like to pretend so because it’s easier to dismiss and make fun of this asinine criticism

ShaneP, Miriedis, mlsw and 8 others like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    1) Did you like TLJ? yes
    2) Age? 52
    3) Gender? M
    4) Race? white
    5) Highest level of education? college
    6) Country/state? USA/Maine
    7) Did you enjoy the pre-quels? no
    8) Favorite star wars movie? (not including TLJ) RotJ
    9) Least favorite star wars movie? (Not including TLJ) AotC

11. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Suggestion: let's just post the required information, and drop the comments on the numbers and each others.

We must resist the temptation to review the film here. Let's have only the OP posting his findings here.

12. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    1) Did you like TLJ? Very emphatically NO.
    2) Age? 41
    3) Gender? female
    4) Race? white
    5) Highest level of education? University degree (I think the US version is called the bar exam? for lawyers?)
    6) Country/state? Germany
    7) Did you enjoy the pre-quels? 2 out of 3, yes
    8) Favorite star wars movie? (not including TLJ) RotJ
    9) Least favorite star wars movie? (Not including TLJ) TPM (have a softer spot for AOTC since it has less Jar Jar and no kid!Anakin)

13. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    @Nadroj ilain Your data so far confirms what I have noticed over time, too: There is a higher rate of dissent among younger fans than older fans, which was never what I expected from this movie, but it seems to be the case. I expected older fans, more personal with the OT, would have hated this movie, especially how Luke ended up being. But no. Actually, more younger fans dislike it while older fans seem to like it at a higher rate. Surprising to me, still.

14. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It's perspective and facts I'm offering related to polling. We had the survey monkey poll earlier and we have had 615 respondents in the rate thread. Both of those aspects are relevant to any discussion on findings in 18 people. Also, I was one of the few who did respond with free demographic data. I am only dismissive of claims, or polls, that may be misleading by providing additional perspective.

15. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    1. No, it's my least favorite SW movie
    2. Born during the prequel era
    3. Male
    4. White
    5. Still in school
    6. Texas, USA
    7. Definitely
    8. Revenge of the Sith
    9. The Force Awakens

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  16. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    1) Did you like TLJ? YES!
    2) Age? 25
    3) Gender? Female
    4) Race? Mixed
    5) Highest level of education? University degree
    6) Country/state? Barranquilla, Colombia
    7) Did you enjoy the pre-quels? Yes
    8) Favorite star wars movie? (not including TLJ) TESB
    9) Least favorite star wars movie? (Not including TLJ) TPM

17. Nadroj ilain

Jan 8, 2018
    It was 38 people, and just a rough run down of the results of the first two pages of this new thread. It really didnt merit the sort of argumentative and belittling response you presented. In the post itself i mentioned just how small the sampling size was.

ShaneP, wobbits, Gamma626 and 3 others like this.
  18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I literally said, "No disrespect" because I sincerely valued what you were trying to do (which is why I also volunteered info). My intention was not meant to be seen as argumentative but perspective should always be a goal, IMO, when presenting data of any kind so as not to mislead (even unintentionally) and I still content that beyond curiosity... not much can be gleaned from small sample data.

Anyway, it's all good and I look forward to more results and info. If you're truly interested in a larger sample you may also be able to utilize the link I shared. Some of the posters provide their rankings, or list them in their signatures and many of us have our gender and/or location listed on our profiles. You might miss out on age but it could be another data set from which you could pull info from if you were curious. You'd just need to keep them separate and present as such.

19. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    1) No
    2) 35
    3) Male
    4) white
    5) University degree
    6) France
    7) barely, but yes
    8) The Empire Strikes Back
    9) The Phantom Menace

20. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    1) No
    2) 40s
    3) Male
    4) Black
    5) MS
    6) US/OH/MD
    7) No edit: they were ok enjoyed 1 out of 3
    8) ESB
    9) TPM

21. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    It's easy to them to be like "some sexist haters didn't like this movie but everybody elso loved it :)" but now internet has a lot of positive comments about how Black Panther treated their female characters (not just one, all of them was important and had their moment)

Black Panther----------------------------The Last Jedi
    audience score on RT: 77%----------audience score on RT: 48%
    critics score: 97%-----------------------critics score: 91%

22. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    1) Did you like TLJ? YES!
    2) Age? 36
    3) Gender? Male
    4) Race? White
    5) Highest level of education? University
    6) Country/state? France
    7) Did you enjoy the pre-quels? NOOO (exciting general concepts -politics, roman space epic & stuff- but terrible execution and awful specific ideas)
    8) Favorite star wars movie? (not including TLJ) The Empire Strikes Back
    9) Least favorite star wars movie? (Not including TLJ) Attack Of The Clones

This thread is a good idea, i'm very intrigued about the profile of who liked or disliked TLJ. My feeling is that people who grew up with the PT are the ones who HATED it, along with older guys who were now-Legends old EU. And a couple of alt-right weirdos but for some very specific "reasons" hmm hmm (since of course you can be liberal/progressist and hate the movie, but it's true that TLJ angered the alt right, along with BP or even TFA)

I hope many people will answer this poll since we need a bigger sample to start finding elements of response. exemple: you can't say women don't like the movie when only 10 women participated to this poll. I suppose we need at least 100 or 200 people to get a vague idea of a typical profile? I think it's quite interesting so i hope more posters will come and reply to this thread :D

@Jedi Jessy I don't think neither TLJs or BPs Rotten Tomatoes audience score are accurate. We can safely assume they are even meaningless (don't tell me they deserve less than Jumanji haha)

23. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    1. No
    2. 35
    3. Male
    4. White
    5. Bachelors
    6. United States
    7. Yes
    8. Revenge of the Sith
    9. The Force Awakens

24. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    1) Did you like TLJ? YES
    2) Age? 39
    3) Gender? Male
    4) Race? Caucasian
    5) Highest level of education? University Degree
    6) Country/state? Toronto, Canada
    7) Did you enjoy the pre-quels? Yes
    8) Favorite star wars movie? (not including TLJ) The Empire Strikes Back
    9) Least favorite star wars movie? (Not including TLJ) Attack of the Clones

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This.

bluealien1 likes this.