main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info The Last Jedi - The First Trailer [be warned - video, pictures, and discussion within]

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Apr 14, 2017.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm guessing you've all seen it about thirty times by now (I know I have), but I figured we need a spoiler-free discussion thread for the first teaser trailer for TLJ.

Just in case you for some reason haven't seen it yet, here it is:

Now, that trailer is a thing of beauty if you ask me.
    My thoughts:

-That opening shot. It certainly calls to mind the first shot of Finn in the original TFA teaser, while at the same time being something completely different. It's a fun way to bring us into the trailer.
    -Luke speaks!
    -The shot of Rey's hand with the pebbles. Beautiful!
    -Leia (probably) in front of a galactic map. Interesting!
    -Are those voice overs from the old movies hidden in the mix? My speakers honestly aren't good enough for me to tell for sure. I think I can hear Leia, Palpatine and Yoda in there, but I might be mistaken.
    -The broken Kylo Ren mask. Remind you of anything?
    -The book has the Jedi symbol from the PT/TCW on it! :D
    -That shot of Rey training with the lightsaber whith Lule watching her... Oh my!
    -That shot of Rey running with the lightsaber.
    -That shot of Kylo with the same lightsaber as before (thank goodness!). That's just a gorgeous shot!
    -A space battle! Awesome!
    -"I only know one truth: it's time for the Jedi... to end." :eek:

2. SWRed7

SWRed7 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    244 Days! Man, going to be an exciting run. The panel was very enjoyable.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  3. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    [​IMG]

Really gives off the vibe of the original film

4. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    My thoughts
    That poster. Remind me, who was it in a very similar pose? Does it mean anything? ;)

At first I was intrigued, confused and a bit concerned. Intrigued by the new images and what's going on. My confusion and concern are more related to what exactly is going on in this trailer. And I think I might have figured it out.

Very curious about those ships on that planet, too. But really I'm most curious about what's up with Luke.

Pure speculation, but I'm going to spoiler tag it just in case. I have absolutely no way of knowing if any of this is actually true, but it very well could be.

So, it seems like Luke is training Rey. The general feeling I get is that he has moved into the Grey Jedi, something between light and dark. Could it be that the Jedi as pure Light side users needs to end in favor of Luke's new interpretation of the Force and what he's learned at the First Temple.

And my final though is....is it December yet? :D

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  5. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    [​IMG]
    So. Much. Emotion. ^ (One of my favorite shots from the trailer.)

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Thought it was a solid teaser trailer, lots of intersting things in there but of course the last line is the most intriguing. Think it makes sense for Luke to feel that way but hoping Rey can change his mind.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm just happy that Ren still has the crossguard. He put it to good use last time. Slower than I'd like, but effective. I'm hoping he'll use it more for quick jabs in his next duel.

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Beautiful visuals. It didn't tell us much about story, but then, it *is* a teaser.

Is it just me, or do those B-wings seem to be dropping chemical weapons?

9. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

Since I'm replying to a question in spoiler tags, my own response in spoiler tags
    The ships in that brief scene seemed to have a red color flare smoke, maybe from some kind of interaction with the sand. I don't think it is from chemical weapons.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Maybe so. I also thought it was interesting that

they appear to be attacking walkers on the horizon. Maybe they're dropping something that's an obstacle for them.

The Vanguard likes this.
  11. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    Agreed. Poster seems to confirm that Rey is Luke's daughter.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  12. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    Just 'cause there's just too many spoiler tags in a row if I quote you, Ghost_Jedi.:) I'm gonna do this.

That's really what I want. I just wonder if they aren't selling this too hard. Would they be doing what they are if she isn't Rey Skywalker? Or are they telegraphing this too hard and there's something we're missing?

I so need to see this movie. Aside from the tagged stuff, I get the feeling this movie is going to be thought provoking...perhaps more than any previous movie. So looking forward to this.

My question now is, what do I want to see now? I want to know as little as possible before, since that worked so well for TFA. Is this trailer kinda equivalent to that very first TFA teaser or more like the one that came out at Celebration Anaheim?

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  13. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Great trailer / teaser.

Just a pityit's all being reshot and none of it will be in the finished film. ;)

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Great trailer... Rey's theme kinda gave me Goosebumps.. lol

15. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    I heard the rumor that TLJ was going to up there in the darkness and the questions presented w/ ESB. We are really going to be in for a ride.

16. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I am not sure why anything that is pure speculation needs Spoiler Tags [face_peace]

I do not think Rey is Luke's daughter just from a poster image. They are not following those kind of mirrored details as far as I can tell -- a la Rogue One [no opening crawl] and titles not being in some type of sync etc. [something that I always thought was silly -- since the sample size was just too small]

Now, Rey might be Luke's daughter for all I know -- I'm just saying I don't see nearly enough evidence from a... single... poster. :confused:

As for Chemical Weapons.... no. Simply no. Why would you drop chemical weapons on nothing --- a couple miles away from Walkers --- and there is simply no way DISNEY would ever allow Chemical weapons in a movie not to mention the creators would have absolutely every reason not to --- especially given current news events. That would be in such poor taste. Iger would never ok that. Nor would the shareholders.

As far as my thoughts on Luke's narration...
    Are we 100% it's Luke saying all of it or is there another voice being snuck in? Otherwise -- Snoke and Luke have the same plan -- seems odd.

I am NOT remotely 100% sure that even if it is a verbatim Luke quote without any additional context that he means precisely what he says -- or that Rey isn't there to talk him out of it.
    I just think it's great mis-direction possibly.

17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I really feel like MOST of what we saw in that trailer comes from very early on in the film. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the last line in the trailer is one of Luke's first lines in the movie. No way they do away with the title Jedi. Ignoring the fact that we have Jedi Masters unwilling to train students in each trilogy, the trademark Jedi is just far too valuable for Disney to willingly give up this early in the game.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, my personal theory is that the "It's time for the Jedi to end" line is from before Luke sees the potential in Rey.

Speaking of Luke, Rey and Jedi training - after having watched the trailer more times than could ever be considered healthy, I've come to the conclusion that this is my favorite shot:

[​IMG]
    It's a gorgeous shot - the composition of the frame, the helicopter movement, and the colours. But it's also exactly what I've wanted to see ever since I was a kid - Jedi Master Luke Skywalker overlooking the training of a young Jedi student (at least I'm assuming that's what this shot is :p ).

Sarge and Dark Lady Mara like this.
  19. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    I don't (necessarily!) get a father-daughter vibe from Luke and Rey's placement on the poster. If anything, I think it's representing Rey as the dividing line between light (Luke) and dark (Kylo). Notice how her lightsaber blade transitions from blue to red.

I agree with you, but not sure how else to interpret that shot. Flares are usually designed to travel upwards, so a horizontal spray of something is more likely to be a defensive or offensive weapon. Maybe it's smoke cover?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

20. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001

Could be a smoke screen for ground troops - that would make a lot of sense considering the walkers on the approach -- otherwise I suspect something we could never guess.

Martoto77 and Sarge like this.
  21. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Oct 8, 2000
    Spoiler taged for image size.
    Rey's position is virtually identical to Luke's on this poster. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vader was the main opposing force Luke had to deal with in ANH. The poster for TLJ seems to suggest Rey is maybe caught between Luke & Kylo.

Personally, I think Luke has perhaps uncovered some new information or reached new conclusions about the Jedi and/or the nature of the Force. I think we might be moving to something beyond just Light and Dark, perhaps more in the middle. First, we hear Luke as the teacher ("Breathe. Just Breathe. Now, reach out. What do you see?") Rey says she sees light, dark and balance (i.e. the Force according to the PT and OT). Now Luke says "Its so much bigger'. I could be crazy, but this seems to suggest that we could wind up completely re-learning the nature of the Force in this movie. Hence, Luke saying "I only know one truth. Its time for the Jedi to end". The Jedi as we know them need to end and evolve into something new. Something more.

As far as those ships on the planet...it looks like somehow they're interacting with the surface to make that red cloud. It also appears when a ship crashes into the surface. Not sure what's up there, but it sure looks cool.

Alienware and Dark Lady Mara like this.
  22. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    Nice teaser, love the style of the poster. Not much to grumble about. Which is nice. Bring on December.

23. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Firstly, that poster is awesome.

In terms of speculation - I think the combination of the poster and the teaser give us a few clues. On the poster, Rey is seen holding a lightsabre and on either side, we see Luke and Ben/Kylo but she is specifically positioned in the middle. She is represented visually as the balance. Also, the lightsabre she holds is half blue, half red which is another sign of balance (that of light and dark).

To me this goes right back to the prophecy, the chosen one was said to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the force but the key line is from Yoda, who said the following,

"A prophecy that Misread could have been"

I think that's exactly what we'll see unfold in The Last Jedi - the real prophecy as revealed in the journals from the Jedi temple. Rey herself says in the trailer,

"light, darkness, the balance"

Also, lets go back to one of the very first lines of TFA,

"Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force"

So we have two films that clearly reference 'balance' and a poster that basically throws it at you.

Lastly, when I first watched the trailer, the line "It's time for the Jedi ... to end" - I didn't think it was Lukes voice. It was only when they showed his silhouette that it registered but upon rewatch, I'm certain that what we're really hearing is two separate lines of dialogue delivered by two different characters.

"Its time for the Jedi" - delivered by unknown

"to end" - delivered by Luke

I could be wrong of course but I agree with something another poster said in that they'd be foolish to get rid of the Jedi archetype. It's a huge part of the Galaxy Far Far away.

Padme501st and Alienware like this.
  24. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    Oh and as for that red stuff - it looks to me that it's coming from the surface of the planet. We only see it as the ship crashes into the ground.

The Resistance ships look to have something that's ripping the ground beneath them - some form of claw that's releasing gas/toxins in an attempt to destabilize the area perhaps?

25. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What if those aren't Resistance ships......?