main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Last Jedi - Visual Dictionary by Pablo Hidalgo (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 13, 2017.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    We knew this.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, are there any surprising new worldbuilding bits in this visual dictionary, like there was for TFA's?

Also, does the Art of TLJ have its own thread?

kalzeth likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sorry, no. He's a vulgar clown and probably a social climber. Just like their ridiculous ships overcompensating, Snoke's outfit overcompensated for his lack of legitimacy. He's a wannabe Palpatine in every sense.

Leia and Holdo were much more elegant in appearance, and are actual nobility.

The correct side is pretty clear here.

4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    another failure of the jedi. They misread the prophecy as that the chosen one would bring balance to the force for all time. Makes you wonder that if Palpatine was thwarted in RoTS Snoke might have turned Anakin, or his children.

kalzeth likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I was wondering if the "chromo-mites" used to color Holdo's hair in this book, are a nod to the "color-crawler" creatures used to color Leia and Chewie's hair in The Crystal Star?

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Of all things for you to remember in that book...

(no seriously sometimes I'm not sure if this is impressing or terrifying)

7. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Ooohh. The Crystal Star. I blocked that out. But the power of Waru compels me to reply to this thread.

If mentioned already, my apologies, but the attendants of Snoke. I wish we could've seen them more. And I hope the male Lanais wind up in the deleted scenes.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I just got my copy of it, and am about 2/3 through already. When I get fully done, I might make a thread for it. A lot to discuss from it, though not as many alternate concepts as the TFA one (which makes sense given TFA's development compared to TLJ).

JoinTheSchwarz and Ghost like this.
  9. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Does the TLJVD give any info about Snoke's Hugh Hefner robe?

10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Looking forward to reading this book. Sounds fascinating.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    He is pictured in it. Only thing it says is 'Corded auropyle fabric khalat robes'. His slippers are also pictured - it says that 'his painful stance has caused him to prioritize comfort.

BobaMatt and comradepitrovsky like this.
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    In the Art of TLJ, it says Andy Serkis wore the actual outfit while doing his Snoke scenes. There was apparently a cut line of dialogue where he talked about his slippers, too.

13. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016

[face_laugh] I was just spot reading parts of this thread and I jumped from the Pablo Hidalgo talk to this very line and I thought "that's pretty harsh" followed by

Hmm. I better read what was quoted for better reference. Oh. Pablo is safe. :p

14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I don't buy things like the visual dictionary or art books. But I like reading what you all say about it.

Question: the seem to use these books, particularly the dictionary, to flesh out details and add to canon backstory.

But based on what I think you have all said in the past, the canonicity of the visual dictionary isn't as stable. The stories take precedence.

And a new story may need a different context to make the larger narrative fit together.

Is that accurate?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    These guides are by and large very accurate and an excellent addition to the canon. Pablo is a master of lore, plus his role in the Story Group presumably gives him extra insights and inside info compared to other authors. I would say the visual dictionaries are very stable, but like any book it can be at times contradicted/retconned. Which is totally normal. I want people to have creative freedom, there is no reason to define every single little details so early on.

--Adm. Nick

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The VD says that Poe repaired Finn's jacket as you can see the stitch marks on the front. I'm guessing it's probably on the back too, but I'm not picturing it / remember seeing it in the actual film.

I think it's a bit of a stretch for Poe to have time to repair the jacket with the FO hot on their heels after the events of TFA.

Hypatia, Jester J Binks and kalzeth like this.
  17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It does seem like there's some conflicting views on exactly how long after Rey's departure TLJ takes place. I think Cross-Sections refers to Hux's ships literally following the X-wings back to D'Qar, whereas there obviously has to be enough of a gap for Kylo to be recovered and patched up, and for things like the jacket being repaired, and obviously the Resistance fleet being marshalled and the evacuation actually being organized. It's possible Rey's journey could have taken a day or more.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    It honestly looks like it was fixed with staples, so I sorta buy it.

But I think this leads me to an element of Poe's character that I will continue to shout to the high heavens but no one ever seems to want to talk about: he is a hypebeast. He has a one-of-a-kind BB model in special colors you can't get anywhere else, he paints all his X-Wings black, and he cares enough to fix his jacket in the middle of a warzone.

19. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I took Poe's "he's one-of-a-kind" to be in reference to BB-8's personality, rather than his technical specs. Considering TLJ introduces other BB units, I assume there must be other orange-and-white ones out there, in the same there surely have to be other blue-and-white R2 units conveniently just to the left of frame. Artoo's pretty "one-of-a-kind" as well where his unique character is concerned.

And he'll have one more X-wing to paint black now.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well the actual line is: "BB unit. Orange and white. One of a kind."

21. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I think my interpretation stands. "He's a droid. Here's what he looks like. And this is why he's important to me."

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    You're absolutely right. I'm still going to imagine Poe Dameron waiting in line to buy the latest Nikes, though.

23. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    And hand his old ones down to Finn.

Revanfan1, Ghost and BobaMatt like this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Poe Dameron: Those are my old shoes.
    Finn: Oh...
    Poe Dameron: No, no, no, no. Keep them. They suit you. You're a good man, Finn. Want to get a jawa juice sometime?

25. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Hux going directly to D'Qar makes the most sense. And Kylo isn't part of that battle, so that makes even more sense.

I wouldn't call the evacuation organized considering the fuel situation.

I think the main reason TLJ doesn't start with Luke getting the saber is to show the attack happened before that. In other words, it didn't just pick up where TFA left off. It rewound a little bit. The attack happened after Rey left, but before she found Luke in person.

Stymi likes this.