main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Corellian_Outrider, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    As we know, Episode VIII is coming out on the 14th December.

The new trailer will be released soon as well as the ability to secure tickets for the screenings.

Who will be going to the opening sessions?

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    New trailer should be tomorrow morning for us. I'll be going opening day, already got the day off work for it :)

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I always take a Star Wars holiday so I can maximise viewings over that first week.

For TFA and R1 I went at least once a day for a week, with TFA I snuck in a few more for 3D and IMAX.

By the way, doesn't it suck that there is no IMAX in Sydney now?

Also - anyone going to one of the fan viewings? I think Star Walking has booked out the Entertainment Quarter cinema.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  4. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've been going to the opening midnight screenings ever since ROTS over at Fox /Entertainment Quarter (we went as a group along with Star Walking back in '05). Totally agree about the Darling Harbour IMAX though the one at Fox / EQ is active though not as large.

Though this year I might be going somewhere else as I heard a couple of places might be doing a double screening of TFA and straight after will be TLJ and I might be tempted to break tradition to check that out. Just need to check out the places.

5. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
  6. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I ended up with midnight tickets for Miranda, can't be stuffed going to EQ.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I finally got my tickets today, I won't be going to EQ either as I'll be going to a double feature screening of TFA and TLJ.

8. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002

That sounds fun, I didn't see anything like that when I booked?

Which cinema chain is doing that?

9. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    One of the smaller ones, the Ritz Cinema.

They got TFA playing at 8pm, a cantina bar will be set up and such to hang out in until the midnight screening of TLJ

10. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    I've failed the past two years to get midnight tickets (despite lining up well in advance, and trying to book online while in line), so this year I gave up and elected to go to the midday session instead. Will probably spend the morning playing BF2 and trying to avoid spoilers and social media.

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Gosh, I did have dramas with getting them for TFA but you've probably got the right idea about seeing it at a reasonable time of day and take it all in better…. but then there's multiple screenings.

12. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I got my ticket yesterday for the first morning session on the 14th

13. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
  14. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Midnight sessions have sold out in my city. I'll be staying off the forums and social media for the next 48 hours until I see TLJ.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    My session has officially sold out, cannot wait for the double feature tonight.

I shall be keeping my impressions as spoiler free as possible

16. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    So, everyone's thoughts?

17. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I loved it, and I dont care what the haters say. Facts: We didn't know Palpys back ground back in the day, Yoda didn't have a last name let alone an origin!! Boba Fett had what? Two lines? And he's a damn hero!!! How longs Lukes been out there? Long enough to make him cranky and bitter and that happens to normal old people! :p Who knows what training Leia underwent before she chose to not be a Jedi?!?! She might have more abilities than she's letting on!!! She healed pretty quick! ;) So yeah, as an original fan, I loved it because I don't look for deeper meaning/reasons, I just enjoy what I see.

Edit: No mention up there about spoilers, but I don't think I did much there, did I?

Saw it midnight and then again Friday night, but all midnight sessions were sold out. We got ours within minutes of them going on sale. [face_love]

18. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I've chatted with Daniel on twitter a bit but I'll go into my longer review here.

On my first viewing I really disliked it, I just couldn't get past some of the more shocking bits, namely Leia flying, Luke milking scene and Yoda force-lightning thing.

But after my second most of those started to sort of fade away, I think the shock was too great the first time around and the second I could enjoy some of the subtle moments like Kylo wiping away the ocean spray when he was connected to Rey, or noticing that the Jedi books were on the Falcon at the end etc.

I've seen it three times now and I'm very happy with the film, still not better than TFA if you ask me though.

New ranking - ESB>ROTJ>ANH>TFA>TLJ>R1>TPM>ROTS>AOTC

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I will be seeing it again tomorrow with a friend for my second viewing.

I had a great time the first time around but that's part of the experience of having dinner out and then the double feature of TFA and TLJ together.

I enjoyed the film for the most part, some moments I loved like that hyper jump moment (which I remember discussions about how that would work back in high school) and I wished we had more of Laura Dern. Some elements I really didn't like, (that milking part, how certain elements were handled regarding Luke. The look of Yoda from certain shot looks really weird and squashed… probably something with the lighting too.)

Visually, it is beautiful for the most part and can understand why they want to make a new trilogy with RJ. It is a dense film and I want to give it another go and see things that escaped my notice the first time around or make sense of certain things. A friend of mine had spotted a lightsaber amongst the books on the Falcon so I want to keep an eye out for that to see which type of hilt it is.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I’ve seen it six times so far, and I want to go again! I love it so much.

21. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Yeah I wanted to see it again tonight but stupid Gold Class is booked solid.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. To get over the initial surprise and fresh eyes, can pick up on things that I had missed before.
    Still got a few nit pickings regarding Luke and wished for more time and details but as a whole, I thought it was good. Will take time before I can rank it with the rest of the saga. Apparently it will be available around March...

23. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Now its out on DVD and you watched it at home? whadda reckon?

24. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Still Love it.........it makes sense to me. Always did.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Hmm….. I can see merits to the film but there are also issues. The more I watch, the more I like certain elements and also dislike other elements. It all comes down to how the productions had been handled thus far.

I will wait and see how things go next year when IX rounds out the trilogy as it should change our perspective on the Sequel Trilogy as a whole.