main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming The Last of Us

Discussion in 'Community' started by ManaByte, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Anyone seen Jim Sterling's latest?

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished this last night. Overall thought it was really well done.

4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Me playing STALKER shortly before going back to playing through TLOU2: "Well, at least I don't have to face anything like this in The Last of Us."

Me getting to the Stalkers in The Last of Us 2: "Oh, right, I forgot."

5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Just finished. What a fantastic experience. Just incredible. I loved it even more than the first game, which is saying something.

Wow.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  6. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    OK, so I think I'm nearing the end and I have to say that the only character I really have more sympathy for at this time is Marlene after that talk she had with Abby's dad. Really, it's kind of what makes me not like Abby or him that much at all. Along with the comical lengths that the game goes to in order to have you sympathize with Abby in the first place. Sure, I get that her dad was killed and that she believed in him, but leave some room for him to actually be a flawed individual that we have some discomfort with (like Joel, really) instead of portraying him as this wholesome guy who saves animals and stuff. It's really kind of a joke.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Joystick Chevron likes this.
  7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    his flaw is that he is all in on killing Ellie without her own or Joel's consent. He's obsessed with curing the virus and is willing to suspend people's rights to do it.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I thought that was a pretty obvious flaw. It also led to his death in a way.... so definitely not without consequences.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  9. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    One thing that has surprised me when looking at people's thoughts on the game is how unsympathetic they are regarding Joel's actions at the end of the first game. Whilst it was selfish, I honestly think that anyone in the same position would do exactly the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know about that. I definitely felt really uneasy about it while playing the first game. I ended up feeling that Joel had changed to become someone who cares about ONE person, but not people in general. It's a realistic story and actions, but I don't think EVERYONE would have done the same. We clearly see that Ellie, for instance, did not agree with Joel's decision and taking away her agency.

11. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I mean if we were in Joel's position. I honestly don't think anyone who'd gone through what he had would let Ellie die. Not just losing his daughter, but travelling across the US with a girl who became like a daughter to him and gave him a reason to live again. The fact Abby's Dad dodges the question is really telling I think. No father worthy of the title would let their kid die to save one life or a million lives.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Completely disagree. To save millions? I would sacrifice anyone, if they were also okay with it. Which Ellie was.

13. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I think more people than ever sympathize with Joel given the apparent lack of confidence n the procedure portrayed on Abby's father's part.

My issue is that they don't really explore that with the same enthusiasm they would Joel's more possessive and gruesome tendencies. So when they spend more time portraying him as this boy scout who saves animals in this game that tries to have an ambiguous perspective on a bunch of different factions and people, it's a bit eye roll-worthy.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Joystick Chevron likes this.
  14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I sympathize with every character, but also disagree with every character. It's quite amazing how much they put you in the shoes of these characters, and make you question so much of their decisions.

Joel - He lost his daughter so I sympathize that he'd do anything to keep Ellie alive after the fatherly connection he developed with her. But I disagree that he'd kill people and go against her own wishes to do so.
    Ellie - I sympathize that she'd want to kill everyone involved in Joel's death. But I disagree that she'd put her own life and others close to her at risk to do so, and take herself down such a violent path to do so.
    Abby - I sympathize that she'd kill Joel after he murderer her father. But I disagree that she wasted so much of her life hunting him down and killed him so brutally.
    Abby's father - I sympathize that he'd want to do anything to create a cure to save humanity. But I disagree that he'd take people's lives without consent to do so.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah that's the great thing about this. I felt they were all complicated.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  16. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Voted for it for best PS game but GoT for best visual design..

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Very excited about this.

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Can I talk about TLOU2 without tags or do I still need them?

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Spoil away.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    THE QUEEN IN THE NORTH!!!

[​IMG]

https://io9.gizmodo.com/hbos-the-last-of-us-picks-a-game-of-thrones-star-to-pla-1846244339

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I can see it. I’ve also seen reports that Mahershala Ali could be playing Joel but that seems less certain.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Yes!! So happy for her. Such a fantastic choice.

If the show goes well, this’ll be the role that gets her famous. I wish her luck, but I know she’ll own it.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.