main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Late Show with Shadowsun ~Talks with the RPF~ now interviewing Shadowsun and Bravo!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Shadowsun, Dec 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Force Ghost star 4

Jun 26, 2017

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  2. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017

3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    *raises hand in the audience. A crew member races over with a microphone*

“Hello. CO here.”

*waves*

“I have a question for both @Mistress_Renata and @TheAdmiral. How has your experience as GM affected the way you write? Have you notice a difference from pre-GM experience to current?”

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    *scratches her nose* Um, nope, haven't noticed any difference. But my game was very short. I learned a bit, though.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    levitates the mike to him

@Mistress_Renata, what would you say you learned? Is the second episode pending?

And the @TheAdmiral, you also run the DC game and of course your own Clone Wars game. How would you say your experience of GMing has changed since you have to change gears so dramatically between the games? As someone who GMs many stories, I'm interested in the processes of others involved.

6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Well I like to believe that my writing is evolving, but there is indeed a difference in the way I write as when I am a player my characters can't know certain things or direct the story too much. There is a certain veil of ignorance so to speak when I am a regular player. But in both cases I try to make the posts engaging enough for the other player(s).

As for the second question. You might have noticed that the three games follow a similar thread and have similar themes. That makes it easier. Besides I compartmentalize, keep them separate in my mind. It also helps that they are in different universes. But the biggest help, I know it will sound like a cliche, but the biggest help are the players and their well defined and crafted characters, I try to tailor the stories in accordance to them (but also keeping in mind the bigger picture and the overall plot).

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I learned that interactions are very different as a GM than as a player. And characters go off in directions you don't expect, so you need to adapt. And that it is important to keep a goal in mind. I also think if I did this again, I'd do something longer than 4 months, I don't think the characters had a chance to really unfold. But I did think that assigning roles helped (the Skeptic, the Mystic, Gadget Guy). Maybe in the New Year I'll think of something. As I said, I love ghost stories, I've read about a lot of haunted places in the US & around the world, there are plenty of things to draw upon!

8. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017

9. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    @Shadowsun --- why fantasy games? On a Star Wars board, you seem intent to steer away from the Star Wars Galaxy. So, I guess, what's the drive for that? There's plenty of other role playing forums out there on the world wide web, so what drives you to this forum when your creative juices are elsewhere other than Star Wars?

I ask, because in The Kingdom, I have a good sized influx of fantasy myself. But I try to mesh that with Star Wars, not keep it a separate thing.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Indeed, isn't Star Wars indeed Space Opera, a fusion of sci-fi and fantasy?

Bravo and Shadowsun like this.
  11. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017
    Ah a very good question. @Bravo

Well I first came to these boards three years ago where I did very little, wasn't in the RPF I was on for maybe like three weeks.

My brother who some peeps know is @Master Vo'Un'Var got me back in this year to play his game Yakuza. (Which is excellent by the way) From there I joined I think @The Jedi in the Pumas Things We Lost on the Fire a game based in the world of Avatar the Last Airbender...anyway what I'm trying to get to is that I got sucked in by the community.

To put it simply the folks here are amazing, and the tight knit nature of knowing everyone more or less is pretty amazing to see on the modern day internet. So I never felt the need to go look elsewhere.

Now as for why I wanted to make a pure fantasy game as opposed to one set in Star Wars...well a couple reasons.

1) I knew a couple of peeps wanted a high fantasy game so I knew I would most likely get a couple players.

2) As I mentioned in my interview above the world I wanted to build would not fit in SW. A lot of the background lore that will become revealed and more relevant as the game goes on is to do with the creation of the world and various gods.

Now my other game Coldest War is not fantasy at all and is much more hard sci-fi. That stemmed more from me wanting to explore an alternate history of real world earth so again doesn't mean well with SW. That was a far more risky venture but I'm currently sitting at a comfortable seven players for the upcoming relaunch.

When I GM my focus is two fold A) are the players having fun? And B) how do I tell a good story? Both these stories I've made simply don't fit in SW.

Perhaps the biggest reason is I love world building and I dont have total freedom if I build it in SW

Anyway little bit of a ramble hope that answered your question.

12. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I got sucked into the community myself (Star Wars Community first, actually---I think it was later renamed Your Jedi Council Community). Then the Literature Forum & Rocky Mountain Fan Force in my later high school years. Then the RPF. So I can relate. Over the years, RPF became home more & more and I drifted away from other parts of the boards. By the early 2010s, I think all I did was RPF.

13. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017

14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Wow, if this is a short break I have to wonder what a long one is!?!? :eek:

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017
  16. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    :(

Sad, but if you are done, I will lock this and let it go.

Thank you for your hard work @Shadowsun

greyjedi125 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.