main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends The Learner - (JA, Q/O, AU) - *Part 6 updated* - *04/12/2006*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Tyvokka still remembered the flare of scepticism he had detected in Masters Saesae Tinn, and Rancisis. Master Jinn, the maverick, had found yet another fantastic cause to espouse. And that was how it had been. Remarkably fantastic ? and yet, when one heard it in the voice of Master Jinn, with his brilliant blue eyes and his Force presence, strong and unbreakable, one could not help but wonder if there was some truth in it, in his wonderful tales of vergence and a poor slave woman in a small dusty planet called ?

I love this paragraph. This is so intriguing. I can't wait to read more.

[face_love]

2. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Great update! So are they going to try and get Obi a Master? They'll have to go look for him, I hope they do! More soon!

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Destiny. He watched, marvelling, as his Force-sight singled out the boy?s signature from others around him. The Force touched on certain focus points, certain events that might turn this way, or that.

This boy. This boy ? was quite? different. Quiet, unassuming, but different.

This boy must have a Master, he said, suddenly.

Aaaaaaaa, very intriguing. The masters know something, but they don't. I'm not even sure who the chosen one will be in all this. Obi-Wan himself? I look forward to seeing where Obi-Wan will be next (Tatooine, right?) and what the the masters make of it.

4. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    *Gasp* I missed an update because I was out of town!!! I love it though! Wookies are awesome :)Please update soon!

5. REALbluelightsaber

REALbluelightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    This is good so far.

A Wookie Jedi? I was always under the impression Wookie's weren't Force-sensitive.

I'm interested in where you are going with this. Can't wait for more!

6. obi-gonjinn

obi-gonjinn Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2006
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the ghosties are on the
    march[face_skull] :D
    I love this story more more I tells ya moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:_| :D
    =D=

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm going to up this story because I love it [face_love] and I would love another post.... please, please. [face_praying]

8. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    That was beautiful, Princess. I love how you wove so much subtlety into the Masters' conversation, so many layers of meaning that they both understood.

I especially like Master Tyvokka and the way he saw Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. It was beautifully expressed, with a deep understanding on their part of the characters. Tyvokka is a wonderful OC; you should use him more.

If you are doing PMs for this story, would you please send me one?

9. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    Wow, great update! You leave us feeling so sad for Obi. Interesting conversation between two masters, and - of course - well written. Looking forward to more. ;)

10. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    dianethx: Layers upon layers - yes. And I was trying to look through Tyvokka's eyes, at Qui-Gon. Which would have definitely shown him something out of the ordinary. As for Obi-Wan â?¦ Yoda, has his reasons. Or so he thinks. I'm not sure I can give away anything, at this moment. ;)

More coming up soon.

kateydidnt: What Qui-Gon saw. Ah, that would make a nice title for the fic, wouldn't it? What Qui-Gon saw is as much a part of the mystery, I'm afraid. So you'll have to wait. Thanks for reading.

___Sithspawn___: Thank you so much. As for Tatooine having nothing to do with Skywalker â?¦ fat chance of that, as you say. ;) More soon.

Dragonlady: I always did find Yoda an intriguing personality. It's easy to make him a silly old master, always tagging after Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon. In reality, he probably didn't give them any more attention than he did anyone else. They probably, by getting into so much trouble, nagged him the most. ;) Thanks for reading.

ctt: Wow, thanks. I must admit that I wanted to bring some realistic tension between the two masters. And not everyone accepted Yoda's wisdom unquestioningly. [In fact, Yoda liked some good, old fashioned argument, the Jedi version of going back and forth. I rather think he respected Tyvokka because of this.] Thanks for reading.

Valairy_Scot: Thanks. Glad you liked. :)

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi: No, the masters aren't going to get Obi a master. That's not part of his destiny. He's on his own now, the little initiate.

Thanks for the comment.

ardavenport: Maybe I should unravel all the mysteries about the Chosen One now. No, I won't. :D Yep, Obi's in for a lot of adventures.

dimyavie: Lol, keep coming back. Update coming up soon.

REALbluelightsaber: Nah, wookkiees (some of them) were Force-Sensitive. The Starwars databank quotes Tyvokka as being a part of the Council pre-TPM, so they obviously were. Thanks.

obi-gonjinn: Lol, sure. :) Thanks.

dianethx: Okay, the upping is going to have its result. :D

Ara-gon: I'm seriously considering using Tyvokka more - he's someone who's proving to have a good deal of potential. Hmmâ?¦

Thanks so much for the good words. I appreciate them. :)

padawan_learner86: Yes, poor Obi. How he's going to manage now, is anyone's guess - especially his own. But maybe there are people looking out for him. We'll see.

Thanks for reading.Update next.

Note: The name "Yan" (Dooku) belongs to Jess and Marnie, I think.

11. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Note 2: [link=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lorian_Nod]Lorian Nod[/link] is not an OC; he's very much a part of the SW Universe. For the purposes of this story, I have changed the incidents a bit, and taken some liberties with the timeline.

Part V

"Why did you really want to see me?" asked Lorian Nod, to the distinguished, suave man who stood in front of a huge wall that opened out onto the pristine gardens and flora of Serenno.

The room was of magnificent proportions; silver, gold and crimson glinted off the shelves, mantelpieces and holo-frames. A sophisticated control panel occupied half the wall, with a wide array of viands suitable for his host's finest taste. Lorian Nod was uncomfortable with his surroundings and with the man who stood barely a few feet away from him - but he was a hardened man and knew better than to show his unease.

"You know why, Lorian," replied the suave man in dulcet tones, touched with ice. "We were friends once - I was wondering if we couldn't be friends again."

"Count Dooku," drawled Lorian, relaxing with effort in his quite comfortable, if opulent chair. "Such sentiments do you credit - but you'll pardon me if I say I don't believe them." He made as if to rise, and suddenly, found, to his surprise, that he couldn't. It was as though an invisible grip of transparisteel was crushing him into the soft velvreen seat.

"You really shouldn't, you know," Lorian remarked. "I was a Jedi padawan once, too."

"Aeons ago - and you've lost much of your prowess, haring after senators to kidnap," drawled the Count. "While I - I have grown from strength to strength, my old friend."

They surveyed each other for a few moments: Count Dooku's glance contemptuous; Lorian's filled with would-be-nonchalance.

"Release me, Dooku," came Lorian's voice finally, in a hoarse whisper.

"At ease," Count Dooku turned away from his contemplation of his residence's beautiful flowerbeds, the sky's reddish-blue twinge and threw the room a look of appreciation. "Really, one would think you would appreciate the luxury - considering you've never come into contact with it."

Lorian went rigid for a moment, and then seemed to give up the attempt. "I'm used to an austere life, you know. I've never cared about velvreen couches and diamond chandeliers - make you soft and useless." His lips curled in scorn.

"Now that's more like it," Dooku said approvingly. "You sound like the Lorian you once were." He looked back to the window. "No doubt your life as a space pirate provides you with a suitably low lifestyle - but at the moment, I must confess that it is what drew me to make your acquaintance."

"How kind of you, my lord. I'm flattered out of my senses."

"Now, now," Dooku waved a gracious hand. "Let us dispense with the formalities, shall we? We are old friends, after all. And I'm sure you wouldn't even have stepped in here, had you found my summons quite so distasteful." He smiled. "After all ... no one exactly forced you into my presence, did they?"

This, thought Lorian Nod with a spark of fury, was what inspired such a towering well of hate in him, towards Dooku. The man was always so damned insolent.

Although, he had to admit, there was much in what the - the newly reinstated Count said. Count indeed, blast him, he thought savagely, testing the strength of the Force bonds that restrained him. It would be just like the Count's superior destiny to escape from all the accusations of theft that had been flung at him, grow to be one of the most respected Jedi masters in the Order, train students, command all the respect that such a position offered, walk way with a lazy fling of his hand, renouncing it - and then become a blasted luxurious Count.

"You've kept a tab on me all these years, haven't you?" smiled Dooku, sending his thoughts. "It is my turn to be flattered. One, after all, is always gratified by another's interests in his destiny too."

Lorian thinned his lips and tightened his mental shields - what little he had. "You haven't exact

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Such a lovely, long update. I didn't know where this was going, and I still don't, but I'm along for the ride. So Dooku is a Sith and yet he is being used as a puppet by Sidious to retrieve.. Anakin I would assume. The jewel on Tatooine...... unless... it's Obi-Wan. [face_thinking]

I like that you brought Nod along. He's a character that could be fleshed out much more than the books and I'm sure you'll do it very well indeed.

I'm totally confused as to where this is going but in a good way. Very much looking forward to another post. Soon!

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Wahoo - such a lovely update that I can almost forgive the fact that there's no Obi-Wan in it. Such lovely language in this chapter, such vivid imagery.

Lorian opened his mouth to object, and was silenced. "Hear me out, old friend," said Dooku, his voice like soft selk. "The Jedi are ignorant. Arrogant. They are no longer what they were - no more guardians, peacekeepers of the republic. Now, they're ineffectual, effeminate, dancing to the tunes of whoever controls the Senate. They have no sense of justice- mere attendants at the feet of the mighty. They do not serve the Force - they serve puppets. They are puppets. Do you wonder that I was forced to leave them? How could I stay, Lorian?" Love the language, and it is so Dooku.

"Yes ..." Dooku's voice was a sibilant whisper. His eyes gleamed with what one might call emotion. His voice throbbed with energy. He bent close to the man. "Soon, you will see change begin to unfurl its wings. You will change the dawn of a new light, of a day so gloriously dazzling that you will no more wish to go back to the darkness that you once lived in. Don't you see, Lorian? You and I were served the best turn by fate when we were thrown out. We can shape our own destiny. We can use our powers for good - for the galaxy, as it was meant to be used. We can rout out darkness and bathe the worlds in Light. And who better, with me, than old friends I trust? Don't you see, Lorian?"
    I see that Dooku and Anakin have a lot in common.

The jewel has to be Anakin, too bad it's a flawed one (unless in this story he is not).

14. ctt

ctt Jedi Knight

Mar 11, 2006
    What a lovely lovely chapter. I absolutely liked the way you characterized Dooku. He's such a twisted suffering character. I loved the contrast on how he was with Lorian - how easily he manipulates & shifts, and to Sidious - how he's confident yet unusually vulnerable.

15. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    dianethx: Well, I hope you're happy now. The muse has decided that she will be gracious - and you have another update. :D Hopefully, there should be more. This was the part I had some difficulty with - now I'm past that. Lol, nice to know that you still have no idea - fear not, things will be revealed in due time. Just know that the stage has finally been set. Sort of. Nod has some potential, yes. I'm hoping to use him - but his fate still remains a little unclear. ;)

Thanks for reading, m'lady.

Valairy_Scot: Lol, thanks. Glad you liked the post, even if it had no Obi. This one has, though. So I hope that satisfies you.

ctt: I had hoped that that's exactly how Dooku would come about. After all, he does have enormous magnetism and charm of manner. Thanks so much. Here's the next.

Note: Some parts of the post are from JA #1 - The Rising Force.

Part VI

Despair was probably the darkest of emotions Obi-Wan had ever encountered, until this point. To be sure, he had often felt anger - but that was nothing compared to this ... crippling feeling of loss. He was sure of it.

He had had no intention of meeting any of his friends for the first meal, but the meeting with Master Yoda had somehow - he hardly knew how - strengthened him. He still could not bring himself to believe that it was his choices that made him - what choices had he ever made? - but he felt insensibly cheered by the words. And he did have a choice now - he could go to Bandomeer, or he could go to Tatooine. Of course, the former was easy, as his place in a ship there had probably been reserved; all that was required was probably that he board the ship. Were he to decide on Tatooine, now ...

But he would not make that choice now. He still felt too overwrought. As much as the thought meditation distressed him, years of training took over. He had always meditated for a half hour early each morning, and knew that it would calm his nerves for what he would face later.

Accordingly, when the thirty minutes had passed - during which time he had desperately tried to sense Master Jinn, but had failed - he felt a little better. His future was still bleak - but he hoped he was learning to accept it better, as the minutes wore on. He dressed himself for the day as slowly as he could - but no one could make time slow down to a trickle. At last, he was ready to go down to the Meal Hall.

He paused for a moment before he stepped in. When he entered the room, his head was high. No one, looking at him, could possibly guess that he was shortly going to be sent out of the Temple forever - his composure was near-perfect.

At the meal table, he found that his friends were already assembled. They were trying very hard to maintain some semblance of normality and he appreciated their efforts. Garen was his comforting best, while Bant sent him warm waves of assurance and acceptance. Reeft was his usual, hungry self - perhaps the only thing to bring a smile to Obi-Wan's face. Not if the whole galaxy was being destroyed would Reeft turn away from food. He gladly surrendered a good deal of his own meal - he wasn't hungry, in any case.

Around him, Obi-Wan heard the swirl of conversations at the other tables. Students looked over at him, then looked away. Most gazes were compassionate, and some tried to cheer him. But he sensed that the overwhelming feeling in the room was that everyone was glad that what had happened to Obi-Wan had not happened to them.

At Bruck's table, the voices were loud and reached their ears. "Always knew he wouldn't make it," Bruck's friend Aalto said loudly. Obi-Wan's ears burned as he heard Bruck's high snicker. He turned, and Bruck stared at him, daring him to pick another fight.

"Don't mind him," Bant said. "He's a fool."

Obi-Wan turned away and finished his meal, just as a huge black Barabel fruit plopped on the table near his tray. Juice from the fruit splattered on Bant and Garen Muln. Obi-Wan glared over at Bruck, who had come halfway across the room to throw it

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Ohhhh, does a happy dance.[face_dancing] I'm just glad that your muse has returned.

Will write more tonight. Am at work right now.

Edit: I love that Obi-Wan was still the sweet but desperate boy from the JA books. Loved that he decided that his encounter with Jinn was him trying to get out of going to Bandomeer. I wonder why Qui didn't try to talk to him during Obi's meditations.
    I'm curious also why Yoda was so adamant about Obi leaving. I wonder if he knows more than he is saying and is pushing Obi in a direction that the Force wants him to go.

I thought you did the Monument part quite well. But I'm waiting to see how you are going to get Obi to Tatooine, hopefully in one piece. I'm in for the long haul.

Great job as always. May your muse never leave!

17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    What - Obi's going to Bandomeer? Surely not...in this story. Yeah, I got my Obi fix though as you said, a lot of this was JA.

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Could you PM when you update this?? Please? [face_praying] I love what I've read so far, but I'm behind. [face_blush] Oops.

19. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    So, Bandomeer? Well, anything's better than him going to Tatooine and getting involved with the yet unborn brat. Although I have a feeling that you will bodily drag Obi-Wan there.:p

And you dare to give us a cliffie[face_shame_on_you]

;)

PM me as well - I definitely don't want to miss any of this.

20. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, well, well, well. Nod is going to Tatooine and Obi-Wan to Bandomeer. But since Qui-Gon is supposed to have killed Xanatos, I wonder who is running Off-World. I kind of wonder if that ship isn't going to end up on Tatooine anyway? It has Hutt passengers after all and it did not exactly end up where it was supposed to anyway. Hmmmmm, going by the book, space pirates are next, I think.

Poor Obi-Wan though! No Qui-Gon to help him recover...at least he's not physically there.;)

And in this story the Jedi Council seems to have a clue about something big brewing, though it doesn't look like they have an idea about what to do! What a very intriguing AU this is.

21. Madam_Author

Madam_Author Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    I somehow missed before the sixth chapter. Poor Obi-Wan! Please please please continue PA!

22. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I somehow missed the last two chapters. More? Please??

Here little sockie..... Where are you?

23. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    It's a cliffie here, so it needs an up!

24. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Yet another beautiful awesom fic by the Princess.

Thank you Musing for bringing it up into the light!

What I liked most was that Qui-Gon came when Obi-Wan was calling out with all his heart and soul -- the boy with no master calling to his master. That was so amazing. Wishing for Qui-Gon to return to him in meditation was different. It was practicing a method that one thought would work, not opening one's heart to cry out loud.

"True feeling opens stone."

25. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Excellent fic.

Please PM me when you update this.

Eg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.