main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LEGO The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special on Disney+

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Aug 13, 2020.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  2. The Lonely Lizard

The Lonely Lizard Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2020
    Well this is an unexpected holiday surprise!

3. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Won't be the same without Bea Arthur...nevertheless I find myself rather interested to see it!

TheYodaPagoda and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Ok i have something to confess i haven't watched the original holiday special edition so this would be first experience to this.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Only part I've seen is the Boba Fett cartoon.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I olny seen few cuts of the Boba Fet and Cheweie's family trough some youtube videos of people talking about star wars, that includes the holiday special.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If they leave the music out it might be half watchable.

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I imagine they will into this knowing its gonna be a little silly.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Of course it be silly You have Kylo and his grandad along great grandad. i woun'dt be against a Luke/Rey silly comedy.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    No way this can be as awful as the original Holiday Special! :p

Which is a good thing, of course! :D

clone commander bossk likes this.
  11. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    This should be pretty comical if nothing else! Looking forward to it!

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-lego-star-wars-holiday-special-disney-plus-announce

13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Will Lin Manuel Miranda be writing the music? [face_tee_hee]

14. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Oh god, as long as they don't feature the wookiee...VR...thingy...or something similar...

Of course, the original is, by all logic, an elaborate hoax anyway...right...?

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    If Lumpy’s not in this, making creepy faces, I’m rioting.

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Wow.
    So this is the first canon Post Episode 9 story!

17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    This will be canon?

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    At the very least canon-adjacent.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    yess it will, Rey is now a time lord.

20. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    A surprise to be sure but a welcome one.

21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Time travel and Poe in a Christmas sweater. They're going to go all out in the silliness, as expected.

22. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Maybe including the world between worlds? I can see them having fun with that.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    My problem is that if this is less awful than the original Holiday Special, I’ll be disappointed.

24. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Do yourself a service and watch it. You won't regret it ;):chewie:

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-the-heart-of-the-lego-star-wars-holiday-special
    [​IMG]
    Star Wars has always been a genre mashup. Samurai films, Westerns, and Saturday matinee serials are all part of the magic mix of the saga. And over the years, Star Wars has infused everything from monster movies (Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ “The Zillo Beast”) to straight-up gothic horror (IDW Publishing’s Tales from Vader’s Castle series). But now, something new — and definitely unexpected — is inspiring the galaxy far, far away.

“We found ourselves talking about holiday specials,” James Waugh, vice president, franchise content and strategy at Lucasfilm, tells StarWars.com, “and the heritage of sitting down and watching holiday specials every year, and how beloved and timeless those things are. When looking at what to do next with LEGO Star Wars, it kind of went from there.”

That brainstorm eventually led to The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special, coming to Disney+ on November 17 — the day our galaxy observes the now-canonical Star Wars holiday of Life Day. The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special picks up post-Episode IX and finds Rey continuing her Jedi training. She comes upon something mystical in a Jedi temple that sends her hurtling through time, meeting Star Wars legends and visiting places of the past — but still, she must get back home for Life Day. The cast features many returning fan favorites, including Kelly Marie Tran as Rose Tico, Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian, Anthony Daniels as C-3PO, as well as several Star Wars: The Clone Wars vets: Matt Lanter (Anakin Skywalker), Tom Kane (Yoda, along with Qui-Gon Jinn), James Arnold Taylor (Obi-Wan Kenobi), and Dee Bradley Baker (clone troopers) are all back. “We’re particularly thrilled that these great actors from the Star Wars family chose to reprise their roles and came to play in this LEGO sandbox,” Josh Rimes, director of animation development at Lucasfilm, says.

[​IMG]

The creative team looked at their own favorite holiday classics, from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer to Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, for inspiration. And what they found was that that kind of storytelling was a surprisingly good fit for Star Wars. “I think what aligns so much about these specials with Star Wars is that, at the end of the day, you don’t have a good Star Wars story if you don’t have heart. If you don’t have soul,” Waugh says. “And I think the reason those holiday stories are timeless is because there are lessons. Whether all of those specials are great or not, they are trying to warm you with a theme about being with your family, caring, loving others, being selfless. These are things that are automatically inherent to Star Wars. So we really wanted to anchor this with the idea of, ‘What is Rey missing right now?’ She is so focused on the burden of being the only Jedi in this new era and the duty of potentially passing on that knowledge. She’s missing the point that there still needs to be time to be with your friends and the family you’ve made.”

“She has a nice It’s a Wonderful Life moment,” says Rimes, “as she reflects on her own mistakes, her own teachings, and what it means to be a mentor.”

[​IMG][​IMG]

This kind of story and timeline crossover is uniquely suited to LEGO Star Wars, which has become something of a sub-brand, or sub-galaxy, all its own, proving to be a huge gateway into Star Wars for kids, but has also become popular with adults. It’s not hard to see why: Building sets are creative exercises, and LEGO Star Wars series and specials are routinely filled with jokes and gags, breaking of the fourth wall, and exciting action, but also respect for the source material.

“We were looking for new creative approaches now that Disney+ was out in the marketplace. We’ve done LEGO shorts and series before so we pushed ourselves to think more broadly,” says Rimes. “And the fact that we’re operating in the LEGO galaxy gave us license to lean into the fun and playfulness that’s critical when it came to thinking about exploring a new take on a Star Wars holiday special.”

[​IMG][​IMG]

“LEGO Star Wars has its own sense of humor, its own style, and creates a special opportunity to share something you love with your kids no matter the age,” Waugh says. “One thing that helped define how we approached this special was actually looking at how kids are playing with LEGO Star Wars. [In the Story Group], we’re in our canonical sense of building stories, which delineates certain characters and vehicles sets across different points of time. And when I’m watching my son play with them, and watching other kids play with them, that’s not the case. It’s more like, ‘I’m dumping all my LEGO Star Wars out, and I’m going to have the AT-AT fight battle droids from the prequels.’ It’s one of the cool things about bringing LEGO sets home. We were talking a lot about that, Josh and I, early on. ‘How do we craft a story that allows for that?’”

The goal became to bring over 40 years of Star Wars history together; or, dump all the toys on the floor.

“And there’s a moment,” Rimes adds. “We call it the ‘bucket dump’ moment.”

[​IMG]

LEGO Star Wars, as fans know, has its own holiday tradition: the LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar. In the spirit of LEGO Star Wars play and cleverness, Waugh and Rimes were determined to have it intertwine with their special. “We suddenly started thinking, ‘Well, this all makes sense.’ From there, we worked with LEGO to make sure that the Advent Calendar was truly integrated with the show. Both companies worked hard to create a connection and influence the other in the special and the product,” says Waugh. Indeed, the figures and trinkets included in the release will come straight from The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special. So kids and adults can experience the show through play, or create their own holiday story. Star Wars proper, of course, has its own history with holiday content — even though that history is somewhat checkered.

No discussion about The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special could happen without addressing the bantha in the room: 1978’s widely maligned The Star Wars Holiday Special. To put it simply, it is not good. It has never been officially released after its one-time airing on television. But the new special clearly borrows not just from the name of the original, but story elements it introduced, as well, including Life Day. Ever since its release, Lucasfilm seemed to have no interest in revisiting or even acknowledging The Star Wars Holiday Special. But time heals all lightsaber wounds, it seems.

“It was completely anathema to talk about doing a holiday special within the halls of Lucasfilm for years,” Waugh says. “But the truth is, it’s part of our tapestry. It’s part of our story. And fans have embraced it in a kind of ironic, fun way. And we’re not doing THE Holiday Special. It’s more honoring the elements of that holiday special that have lingered with the franchise. The truth is, Life Day is now in The Mandalorian. Life Day is celebrated at [Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge]. So, it’s part of our DNA and it was something to look back to.”

[​IMG]

For people who love holiday specials, there’s no understating their importance. We watch them with family and friends as part of shared experiences and traditions. They teach us. And they form memories around holidays that we carry with us forever. Considering all this, Waugh and Rimes have high hopes for The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special.

“I hope that it becomes a family tradition and that it becomes part of the rotation,” says Rimes. “You know, you have Rudolph, Frosty, everything else. And you have The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special.”

“I want it to be timeless,” Waugh says. “That was always our hope. ‘Let’s try to make something that is as timeless and everlasting as those holiday specials we love.’ LEGO and Star Wars mean a lot to people’s lives. They mean a lot to my life. They’ve been woven into my life with my son. And so, hopefully, this becomes something like all those classic specials that people who love Star Wars, people who love LEGO, people who just enjoy holiday specials will sit down and watch every year. And it becomes part of their lives.”