main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Life of a Fire Fighter

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Well today is my first day of the Fire Academy and of collage. This journal, The Fire Academy Journal, will be of what goes on in the Fire Academy. As my last two journals, I'll betray my emotions, feelings, wins, losses, gains, defeats, good times, bad times, and the weird times. As always, replies are welcomed. Feel free to ask questions and even start up a chat with a fellow JCer or RMFF member while posting in The Fire Academy Journal. Thanks. :)

All Journals:

Jason's Firefighter Journal (Internship)
    Jason's Expanded Firefighter Journal (Part II) (Summer)
    The Fire Academy Journal (Fire Academy)
    Wildland-S-130/S-190 Training (Wildland Fire Training)
    Emergency Medical Technician-Basic Journal (EMT-Basic Training---Most Recent)
    The Life of a Fire Fighter (---New---Page 24, started Journal Entry #382)

Pages and Index to come soon!

2. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #1

Tuesday, August 26, 2003

What a first day, what a first day. Got slammed with bunches of homeowrk. But, already starting on it. This is what I have to get done today:

Firefighter Terms (Intro to Fire Science)
    History of Fire Department (Intro to Fire Science)
    Chapter One/Questions (Intro to Fire Science)
    Chapter Two/Read (Intro to Fire Science)
    Chapter One/Test (Firefighter One)
    Chapter Nine/Read (Firefighter One)

3. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #2

Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Good thing I didn't have to get all of that done today. When you're having fun, the day flies away! Got Firefighter Terms done, Chapter One (Firefighter One) and test done (Would get an A according to my Fire Science Instructor), and I researched up Fire Departments.

I'll start on Chapter One (Intro to Fire Science) either tonight or tomorrow. And I will also, hopefully, start on Chapter Nine (Firefighter One) tomorrow as well and take that test.

And, guess what, I get a day off, at least this week, off of collage! I don't have to go to collage tomorrow! For those of us who are in/have been in collage, at least for me, it's like as a kid when you got some candy or some cookies.

4. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #3

Thursday, August 28, 2003

Yesterday was any thing but a "day off". Although I didn't mind it. Got my resume done, cover letter done, and officer interview done. All for Intro To Fire Science. A course when I waked up yesterday, I did the most glorious job of picking up dog crap. I'm happy that I was able to get so much done yesterday. I'll start on Firefighter One, Chapter 9, today, and I'll review Chapter One of Firefighter One also. Might also retake that Chapter One test. See how much I remember.

5. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #4

Date: Friday, August 29, 2003

Didn't do the best of jobs on my Chater 9 test. Ladders was a long chapter and my attention span started to waver towards the end. That's where I missed the bulk of my questions I reckon.

My Fire Science Instructor wants me to retake the test today and I will. I gotta be here today from now, 6:30 Am, until about 11:00 PM. So, in short, coffee is gonna be my best friend today.

What do I think of the Fire Academy so far? Although it hasn't started, I have started. The only thing I dislike about the Fire Academyis the fact that we have class until 9:30 that Friday night. Then the instructors want us to go home, get to asleep probably around 10 or 10:30, wake up at 5:00, and be ready for the Academy the next morning at 6:45. Besides that, I agree with everything the Academy has going on.

But, I will say, I do agree with the Froday/Saturday deal with waking up and all. By doing that, you weed out the weak. I'l bet ya that we lose at least five more cadets, if not per class or total of both classes, to waking up. By the end of the first two weeks, just because of wake up times, we will have probably lost at least five per class if not more.

Then, we'll weed out the weak by the physical part of it. If I was one of the more in shape cadets at the meeting, accoridng to my Mother, then we will probably lose at least five more total or per class. I'll tell ya right now, I'm small for a Firefighter. I ain't that big. But, I keep in shape.

Then we'll lose the largest group from those who choose to party. The ones who party will be the ones who fail. If you go out with your friends and party, then personally, you shouldn't be in the Fire Academy. The Fire Academy is for people who have the dedication to put aside personal wants to become a Firefighter. If you can't do that, I don't think you should become a Firefighter. Since the Fire Academy started, I have had 0% contact with my friends. The only friend I have had contat with is one that is going to RRCC also, but he's studying something totally differenent then me. We get about 10 to 15 minutes, two days a week, to talk. That's about it.

As I told my Fire Science Instructor and as I told everyone else, my Journal is gonna be what I feel, think...it's gonna be the truth. And he is the truth now: I was down right disapointed, disgusted, and disheartened at the look of the Fire Academy students on that Thursday meeting. I picked out more cadets who want to become Firefighters for the girls then I can count. I feel that the instructors should of kicked out every cadet who wasn't shaved that night...and that was about 30 some cadets!

It's bad. I thought Firefighters were suppose to be respectable people. The ones I know are at least...but these new age of cadets, are, well, a shame. They don't shave. They have more money on their ears then I do in my checking account. And some of them had their hats in all directions known to man-kind.

My Father, who taught at South Metro, made the comment: "All that class wants to do is party."

And that's coming from a former Firefighter with about or over 20 years total in the Fire Service.

What really got me going, my Father, and a Captain I know where I did my internship was when a good portion of my Intro To Fire Science said as to why they want to become Firefighters: "I want to be a hero," "It's a heroic job,"

Those people! You wanna be a hero? Okay then, go be a hero! Go get your name in the paper! But while you're at it, you're gonna have killed someone to get there, weather it was a fellow Firefighter or a victim. The only heroes are the ones who do their jobs with no dreams of being a hero. The only heroes are the ones who die to save a life or while doing their job. They are the heroes. They die because they were doing what they needed to. Not because they wanted to be a hero!

My Father stated that he would of kicked out every student who mentioned the words, "I want to be a hero," or "It's a heroic job,". If any Firefighter is in he Fire Service

6. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #5

Date: Monday, September 01, 2003

Well, got through the first day at the Drill Ground in Arvada. It ain't easy and it's gonna get harder and harder. Before I get into the good news, I got some bad news. I thought to be in the Fire Academy, you HAD TO BE IN GOOD PHYSICAL CONDITION! Please! We had people walking during PT! I say they should of kicked out everyone, depending on how long/far they walked! One person walked almost the whole way! I spent over 300 dollars to stay in shape/get in better shape this summer! And I am in a class with people who walk! I busted my balls this summer to be in the shape I need to be to pass the Fire Academy! And I'm in a class with people who don't have enough effort/dedacation to stay in shape! I am pissed!

Okay, now for the good news. I had fun at the Fire Academy. Although I need to catch up with the hose instructor for this week's class. I have to ask him if he would be able to spend time with me after class and slow down on the information. Got help with ropes and nots from the Fire Chief on Saturday, but I need to make sure we go over it again and again and again. As I told the Fire Chief, I'll be slower at learning some of the information and I'll need to do things over and over and over again.

7. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #6

Date: Tuesday, September 02, 2003

They should make laws against sitting in a hard chair for over three hours! 8-} My butt hurts! Took me over three hours to do one chapter, Chapter 12 on Fire Hoses, and I got a 79.5% or something like that on the test. I'll re-take it, but not right now. It even hurts right now to sit in a soft chair at Bemis Library in Littleton.

I was only suppost to do so much...but since I didn't understand part of it, I read the first part. After I read the first part, with the middle part already done, I just read the whole chapter from start to finish. Just means I have that extra konwelge for the test. Still got five chapters to do in three days, figure three hours per chapter, with two due on Monday, and two more for review, making a total of seven chapters, I think I'll get at least one more chapter done, and review the two I have to for the test on Friday.

8. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    You know, Bravo. Reading your Journal was very encouraging and I felt very happy for you...for the first few posts. Your holier than thou behavior is off the flippin' charts, man. The way you make it sound, everyone in that class deserves to be kicked out or fail except you. And that's exactly how you come across. You know, I have friends who are firefighters, and my best friend, Jim is a member of Mountain Rescue. But they party every weekend with me. Does that mean they don't deserve to help save lives? That's BS. There's a time and a place to be serious and to have fun. Going home at night and/or weekend is called a BREAK. That's when you have fun and unwind, relax with friends and loved ones. Whatever you do during that time is your business. I would feel pretty crappy to be your friend right now if you have 0% contact with your friends. By all means, go and better yourself as a firefighter, but don't put other people down because they don't shave or because they wear their hats backwards. And ESPECIALLY if they have a LIFE outside of being a cadet. I can not believe you put yourself above these people just because you don't party on the weekends or because you're fanatical for your cause. Everyone in that class has a right to be there just as much as you do. It doesn't matter if they work out every single day or live/eat/sleep/live firefighting. They are there for the same purpose you are. You don't have the right to pass judgment on your fellow cadets based on their looks. So John Doe didn't shave last night, kick him out, even though he could be just as or more capable at being a firefighter than you? It's bollicks and you know this. You need to loosen up, find some friends who are in your class, even the most unlikely people can be your best friend. Stay positive, there's no need to bring others down. You shouldn't be looking forward to "five more dropping out". You should want every person in that class to meet the same goals you are trying to accomplish. You are right, being a firefighter is not about being a hero, it's about working as a team to save lives. So start acting like a teammate instead of an pessimistic antagonist. And Enjoy Yourself, it's the start of your life, a start of an excellent career. Just take a different approach :)

9. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Dude, It totally see your point, wheather you see that or not. And my comments were a little rude. But as I said, I'll but down my emotions. Now, since I put down my emotions as soon as I can when I get home, it means my head is probably still a zoo at the moment. And, since I put down my emtions, emotions change with time.

So, my words are emotions, not what I think. Personally, honestly, I don't want anybody to drop out. Last night I spent two hours with my best-friend that I haven't seen in over a month. I totally agree with people having fun...but it has to be fun that is responabile. The Fire Academy, I feel, builds one thing above all: disapline and responabily. Two things any adult needs to survive in the current world.

So, am I sorry about my words? Yes, the ones that were out of pure emotion. And I do thank you for pointing that out, Joseph. :)

10. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #7

Date: Thursday, September 04, 2003

It's my birthday today and I wished I could just relax today, but I can't. Gotta do at least one chapter today, at least. Then I have to do one on Friday and then also review on Friday for my quiz. Then on Saturday I have to get chapter one done for Fire Science and have to get chapter two done for Sunday.

I'll admit, collage is not easy. I'm feeling the strain of homework and study. But what can I do? I have too many people who have confidence in me with the Fire Academy. I must not, can not, fail the Fire Academy.

11. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #8

Date: Thursday, September 04, 2003

Found out some sad news, also embressing news yesterday. We have two Fire Academy classes, right? Well in the first one, over half of the people didn't show up! And, unless I miss understood, that class had some 60 some students and like obly 23 or something showed up. I might be wrong on the number, because our class only has 32 or something around that. But, I could of swore it was like 60 some students total for that class.

Well, I got chapter 3 done today. Out of 58 questions or something, I missed like 5. My brain is still trying to cope with all of this information. I'm proud to report that most of my squad reported last night for training. But it was strange, out of over 30 students, only about eight or nine of us showed up. But, that allowed for some good practice time.

I gotta give the two instructors there last night a lot of credit. I finally got the clove hitch and bowline down and I pretty much got the figure-eight. Now all I gotta do is master the those three and the figure-eight follow through, figure-eight on a bight, and there are some more. And I finally got the ladders! And guess what, I didn't studder that bad even when I was given the order to give the commands! In fact, I hardlt studdered at all! :) :D

Have to give a lot of thanks to both my Fire Science Instructors for their help and to a friend in the Fire Academy last night who gave me a ride home. And I feel bad, because he lived 45 minutes the other way I was going home. He needed to go north, me south. Both of us are 45 minutes away from the collage. He's a really good friend and I'm proud to know him and call him a friend.

12. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #9

Date: Friday, September 05, 2003

What a day, what a day. Nineteen now and...just another day. I lost my Father's coffee cup; it's a Marine Corps one. I tried to find it and I failed. Some people just don't have morals any more to turn something in or leave it where it is. Well, he'll be mad, he'll give me that look, and I'll tell him I'll but him another one and then buy myself another coffee cup so that doesn't happen again.

Today I have to get through Chapter 2 and study Chapters 1 and 9. I think, so my brain is clearer with all the coffee mug business, wait to study until later. I mean I got until 5:00 PM today; plan on studying around 11:00 PM today...a good six hours to study.

13. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #10

Date: Monday, September 08, 2003

Does it this make sense: I'm studying too much, but not enough?

My brain is a little overtaxed here and I'm starting to feel it. I didn't even get to Chapter 2 in my Firefighter One; I'll be doing that today. I'm falling behind in the Fire Academy and it's taking it's toll. I'm doing great in the books, but I'm having a problem with transfereing from what I learn in the book to the drill ground. I'm studying so much, but not enough, that I don't have time to review.

I'm gonna see if I can go to both the study sessions on Monday and Wednesday, but for Monday, if the answer is yes, I'll have to wait until next week.

So, in short, it's been a week from hell and it looks like it's only gonna get harder and faster.

14. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #11

Date: Monday, September 08, 2003

Although last week was a week from hell, today was a good day. It was a bright light in a pool of darkness. Finally got three of the four major knots down good.

15. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #12

Date: Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Today is starting out pretty good. I'm gonna go lift some weights, do the bike a bit, take a shower, and then start on my day. Today I am hoping to get some help on my SCBA and donning of gear. Last night I did my donning of gear, my best time be 58 or so seconds. Then, without time, I went through the steps of putting on my face mask and hood.

If I have time today, which I should, I'll get through Chapter 2 in Firefighter One, take the test, and then go over my required JPR's. I took a quick look at the required ones already. There's two of them that look hard, with two more of them being live burns.

16. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #13

Just got back from the collage. So far today, I looked at what I have to do for this week. Although there's not a lot of reading this week, there's a lot of memoryzation (sp?) going on...and that's one of my weak points, esp. under a steady eye of an instructor. But, I'll get through it somehow, someway.

Did my donning of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) today and I did great! Last night I got it around 58 seconds. Today my best time was 44 seconds! :) :D

After I take a lunch break here, as I am doing now, I'll finish up Chapter 2 of Firefighter One, take the test, and then go over my JPR's and I might go over building construction again, probably just take the test again and see how much I remember. Tomorrow I'll go over hoses for the week and forceable entry. Those two are the hardest. And I will also have to get all six knots down. I forgot one yesterday. I have three of them down pretty good, it's just the other three I have to work on.

17. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #14

Just got done with part of my homework for today. For that Chapter 2 of Firewfighter One, I missed 27 out fo 131, meaning I got 104 right. I haven't figured it out yet, but I think that's around a low C. I won't accept that and will ty again, but right now, my brain feels like it's being compressed. Does that all the time after hard studying. This time it's worse and it's bugging the heck out of me.

After a short break here, I gonna go over my required JPR's for the practical test and the oe SCBA one for Saturday, the 13-Point Inspection of our SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Appratus).

As for the west of the week, here we go:

Wednesday:
    -Chapter 4 Firefighter Personal Protetcive Equipment (pp. 79-111)
    -JPR's for Saturday
    -Three of Five Stations information on Saturday
    -Study Session (Wednesday Night)
    -Relax when I get home and stay up as long as I want; I'm taking Thursday off to study with a friend of mine :D

Thursday:
    -Chapter 5 Portable Extinguishers (Or Friday)
    -Study Session with friend (Time/length?)
    -Required JPR's/Quarter or so of JPR's
    -Last Two Stations for Saturday (Or Friday)
    -Relax Day

Friday:

-Review for Friday and Saturday Test

18. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #15

Date: Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Ah! The quietness of the early morning. No concerns, no problems. Just a little peace before the start of the day. Much like the late nights are for me. Everyone is asleep, the trickets (sp?) are singing a bit, nice cool night air is coming through my open windows, and I rule my little kingdom I call my room with no disruptings (sp?). Some times I wished moments like this, when all fear, worry, concern, and problems disapear, if only for a few minutes, lasted longer.

Well, we know my schudle today. Since I'm there until 8:00 PM today, provided I get a ride home tonight from a friend or an instructor, I will start my day off a little later. Instead of leaving here around 7:00 or 7:30 AM, I'll leave around 8:00 AM or 8:30 AM.

I beleive that I'll get my assigned work done today. If I don't, I'll have to make sure I get some engery in me and do the rest of it when I get home tonight. After all, I can stay up tonight as long as I want...although I have to make sure I'm up by at least 9:00 AM. I would like to be up around 7:00 AM if I can be tomorrow.

19. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #16

Date: Wednesday, September 10, 2003

I had to take a break from my book for a second. I was on like page 85 or something, had to get to 111, and I started to fall asleep. I went through the test before I started and...there is a lot of information I gotta know for PPE. Although, unlike my disagreements with Chapter 2's test, it's stuff you have to know. I'll start up again here after a short break. I might study my JPR's first to give my brain a change of pace.

20. jedibendubruce

jedibendubruce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2002
    A lot of work Bravo but your signature says it all ;)

21. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #17

Date: Sunday, September 14, 2003

Thanks. :)

If last week was a week from hell, this week was a week from paradise. Yesterday I had my best Drill Ground day so far! As a whole, my entire group improved. I don't know what it was. Maybe it was the fact that last week we got the crap kicked out of us at the Drill Ground and we wanted to redeame ourselves. Whatever it was, we kicked some serious ass on Saturday and plan on doing so next Saturday and the Saturday after that and for the rest of the Fire Academy and beyond.

All I know is that I wouldn't want to be in any other group. No one in our group has dropped and with our performace last week, I thought some of us would. But no. The group stayed together and fought on. We acted as a team.

Now, when I mean improvement, that's what I mean. Me, for example, shed off over 30 seconds on my SCBA donning time to get it down to, my two best times, 1:06 and 1:10. The time limit is 1:00 minute. But, improvement wise, I did great. Ladders, as a group, we did great, improvement wise. Last week, ladders just about kicked our ass, along with SCBA, in every direction possabile. This week, we kicked the ladders' and SCBAs' asses and are proud of it.

Next week we have testing on Hydrant and Clamp. I did good on both, almost great on Hydrant, except for the fact that I got nervous and fumbled around a bit and couldn't find the right pressure point for the plumer's wrench. I have the study session this Monday and Wendesday, and boy, I'm gonna be ready to kick some ass during them. And come Saturday, I am hoping to be ready to do one of the best hydrant and clam operations I can do or that the instructor has ever seen. And that includes all the other stations also. I shall kick ass on all of the stations. We know we have the motavation. We know we have the spirit. We know we have the desire. We know we have ability. We know we have the team. We know we can do it.

22. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #18

Date: Monday, September 15, 2003

Good morning to everybody! Well, it's 6:20 AM in the morning and I'm awake and ready to tackle another day.

I've been so busy with my Fire Academy stuff that I almost forgot to do my Fire Science homework. I think I only had that one question to do...if I'm wrong and I had to read a chapter, well, someone is gonna be busy today.

23. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #19

Just got back from class; Intro To Fire Science. Gonna eat some lunch here, check a few things online while I eat, then get through a chapter I should of had done last week and hopefully start on another chapter and get through JPR's (Job Preforamce Requirements).

24. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Journal #20

Just got through Chapter 5 on Portable Extinguishers. I missed 16 questions out of 80 questions. In the past three weeks, I've done 1,112 test questions. Out of 1,112 test questions, I've missed 159 test questions. So that means I've got 953 test questions out of 1,112 test questions right.

Anyone better at math then me? Anyone board and want to figure out the percentage of a total of 1,112 questions and missing 159 test questions?

25. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    You have currently answered 85% of the questions currectly...

Congrats, boyo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.