main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthCeltic, Apr 5, 2016.

?

Favorite Lightsaber?

1. Anakin's Blue

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Luke's Green

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Kylo's Red

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Ben's Blue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leia's Blue

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Rey's Yellow

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. Dark Rey's Red

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Kylo's is my favorite. It's funny because I really didn't like it when we got our first look at it in that blurry leaked photo from way back when. I thought it looked really silly. On screen though it looks great! The flame-like blade gives it that extra bit to make it really iconic. Love it!

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Has anybody found a good pic of ol' blue with the fresh repairs? I'd like a better look at how it was tacked together.

4. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Liked Rey's yellow saber, too bad we never saw it in action.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think the poll is flawed, as it isn't a multiple choice one. :p

My favorite is either:
    -Luke's/Anakin's/Rey's blue - partly because it's the "Saga saber", and the very first lightsaber we ever saw, partly because it's just so damn well-designed.
    -Kylo's - because it is just so cool. I love the crossguard, and I love the unstable blades. The sound design is awesome as well.
    -Luke's green - because I like green lightsabers, and I always loved that Luke had a green one in ROTJ as a kid.
    -Rey's yellow - because we finally got a yellow blade on the big screen! And the hilt is neat.

Dark Rey's saber is neither here nor there for me. It's kind of cool, but a bit over designed IMO. What on earth would be the point of it folding together like that? Leia's saber is nicely designed, but is just another blue lightsaber - same with Ben's.

Sarge likes this.
  6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I've asked this elsewhere, but is there a way to reconcile Luke taking Leia's saber with him to Ahch-To if he had sworn off the Jedi upon his exile? The only thing I can think of is that Luke had discovered Ahch-To early enough after ROTJ to leave it there for safekeeping and simply neglected it when he returned.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Sarge and Glitterstimm like this.
  7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I voted Kylo's red. Cuz at least they attempted something different with one lightsaber in this trilogy. I don't really count the yellow really.

Was nice to see a bit of green if only briefly and wished Leia's was.

8. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I voted for Kylo’s red because it’s so different. I was neutral to it at first, but quickly liked the unstable spitting and crackles and the meaning behind it.

9. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I would have voted for Qui-Gon's green lightsaber if it had been on the list.

10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The one that says bad mother****** on it.

Ruffmeian likes this.
  11. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    I voted for Anakin's blue. It has always been my favorite saber in the series. I really want to get a Force FX saber of Anakin's. I currently have Luke's green one and Mace's purple one.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe Luke wanted to take it away from the galaxy at large so that no one would find it and get crazy ideas about reviving the Jedi.

13. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    We're never told (in film) how the lightsaber makes its way from being lost somewhere in Bespin (a gas planet, as I recall) to Maz's castle. Given the role of that particular prop in the overall story, I really do think it needs its own story. I loved the sequel trilogy as a whole, but I'm disappointed at this being left out. Also, the saber was destroyed in TLJ and whole again in TROS. We see Kylo's helmet being repaired ... why not the lightsaber as well?

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    On the bright side, there is at least a leather band now round the hilt, marking where the halves are joined together.

Sarge and Jedi_Prophet77 like this.
  15. Jedi_Prophet77

Dec 14, 2017
    I missed that. Still, gimme some story!

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Jedi_Prophet77

Dec 14, 2017
    I don't think a whole narrative or even exposition is necessary. A whole story can be told in other ways. How did Obi-Wan end up with Anakin's lightsaber to give to Luke? We caught a two-second glimpse of Obi-Wan picking it up from the ground after defeating Vader. That was plenty of story to explain.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's only so many minutes in the movie.

Still, the Visual Dictionary gives a snippet or two:

p38:

"Kyber crystal inside healed using techniques from Jedi scripture" - the crystal itself broke and had to be healed.

p41

"Rey is fascinated by the arcane healing techniques described in the Chronicles of Brus-bu, and uses the underpinnings of such teachings to heal the broken kyber crystal in her lightsaber".

That one has an illustration of Rey working on something outside the Tantive IV. Perhaps a deleted scene?

Sarge likes this.
  18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Isnt Ben's Blue just Anakin's? :p

Imma vote for Anakin. Especially the sleeker ROTS one. I also just like how slick Anakin is with it too. The saber combined with his style is dope.

Jedi Merkurian and JeanNo like this.
  19. Jedi_Prophet77

Dec 14, 2017
    Repeating what I said above in case you didn't see it.

I don't think a whole narrative or even exposition is necessary. A whole story can be told in other ways. How did Obi-Wan end up with Anakin's lightsaber to give to Luke? We caught a two-second glimpse of Obi-Wan picking it up from the ground after defeating Vader. That was plenty of story to explain.

Two seconds. A single shot. That's all it takes.

20. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    No, it’s his own. Actually his red one was modified from his blue saber.

HevyDevy likes this.
  21. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Watch the hut scenes in TLJ. Kylo's blue is the red crossguard saber minus the crossguard and unstable red blade.

I didn't know what to vote for so I went with Kylo's red saber.
    But so many on that list are good for different reasons.

Tbh TLJ sullied Luke's green blade for me - I always saw it as symbolic of the Jedi's return. Not a "nephew slayer" :p

Rey's yellow was a welcome change.

On Anakin's blue I was hoping we would get an explanation on why Kylo says it "belongs to (him)". :(
    I wonder if that was literal because he used to use it, or he just claimed ownership as the sole Skywalker heir...

Sarge likes this.
  22. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    I’m pretty sure it’s just cuz he’s the sole Skywalker heir. And isn’t that a total bratty prince thing to demand? Lol.

Sarge and HevyDevy like this.
  23. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeah that was kind of what I assumed. :)
    But I was eager for some kind of Ben Solo flashback in general.

Anakin's blue saber has had quite the history now.
    Rey and Kylo both use it in TLJ and TROS for varying purposes for one.

And it killed Dooku and Snoke. And a bunch of Jedi during Order 66.
    Then post-66 symbolised Luke's ideal image of his father through ANH and ESB, an image that is lost with the saber when Luke discovered the truth.

Sarge and Ruffmeian like this.
  24. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    It’s overall my favorite in the entire saga because of it’s history! It’s done some dark deeds and also saved the universe. Maybe something so powerful should be gone.

Kinda like the Elder Wand... if you’re into Harry Potter at all.

HevyDevy likes this.
  25. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011

Haven't really watched Harry Potter. Not quite my generation, missed it by a bit age-wise.

Seems odd that Rey repairs the saber and then just buries it. I liked that Anakin and his children's sabers took out Palpatine though.

Ruffmeian likes this.