main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthCeltic, Apr 5, 2016.

?

Favorite Lightsaber?

1. Anakin's Blue

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Luke's Green

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Kylo's Red

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Ben's Blue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leia's Blue

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Rey's Yellow

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. Dark Rey's Red

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Maybe it was... to give it peace? How did it speak out to her in TFA? Or was that the force guiding her to it? I’m unclear.

Sarge likes this.
  2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Good question.

I'm unsure also, but part of it is I think the force thought it was her time.
    She "descends the stairs into her subconscious" and the door opens by itself like it was expecting her.
    I don't know if the saber is supposed to hold some amount of sentience. Note she also gets a vision from the Sith dagger in IX. And Kylo gets visions from the Vader mask... yet if that was Palpatine I don't fully understand why the mask was necessary.

The TFA forceback is pretty good. There was more to it than I got on earlier viewings.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    @Ruffmeian @HevyDevy

Are you guys talking about TLJ saber? I forgot about that one. I thought we were referring to the saber uses in the climax of TROS :p

4. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeah TLJ.
    The blue saber in the flashback where Ben thinks Luke is going to kill him is actually the one that will become the red saber that cannot contain the power of the red crystal so vents as a crossguard. I'm assuming the crystal was bled, or was it a different crystal entirely? I don't know saber lore.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Ruffmeian and Deliveranze like this.
  5. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    Yeah, the same crystal was bled. There were some theories that when he turned back, the crystal would re-stabilize and turn back. I don’t even know if that’s possible.

I actually was going to buy both sabers at Dok Ondar’s but then decided I’d rather have Anakin’s/Luke’s/Rey’s since Ben’s blue is pretty much the same as his red. Thinking of money wise, I mean... lol.

HevyDevy likes this.
  6. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015

Yeah, it was a little confusing... lol.

The blue one in the climax of TROS is Anakin’s. But Ben’s actual saber, the one we see in TLJ flashback, is now his red one just bled.

Deliveranze likes this.
  7. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    First movie I saw in a theater was ROTJ so my pick is Luke's green lightsaber.
    Just iconic for my whole own childhood.

Fin McCool likes this.
  8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Stolen from elsewhere: its like when you get an OP weapon for beating the game, but it doesn't matter because there’s nothing left to do.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    My favorite in terms of aesthetics would be Obi-Wan’s ROTS/ANH saber, followed by his TPM saber.

Vasco_Rojo likes this.
  10. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    In the Fallen Order video game, we see a new force power whereby touching certain items reveals some of its history in a "forceback" like setting. I can't recall the name at this moment, but w/o spoilers it's clear the game was trying to draw parallels between the protagonist's "protector of the light" style Jedi and Rey.

Jedi Merkurian and HevyDevy like this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It was Palpatine, and the mask was not necessary. But Palps wanted Kylo to think it was the mask, so that it would tie Kylo to his bloodline heritage as a dark lord of the Sith.

12. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    I assumed the same. It's a blade held by two legendary Skywalkers. Kylo quite naturally thinks it belongs to him. Anakin and Luke earned the right to carry it by their heroism. It was sullied by Anakin's use of the blade to murder Jedi younglings, and to try killing Obi-Wan. However, Obi-Wan earned the right to hold the weapon in trust by defeating Anakin and remaining true to the Jedi code. When he passed it to Luke, he passed it to Anakin's 'heir', who went on to earn the right to carry it. Interestingly, Luke literally lost the right to this weapon when he recklessly and arrogantly confronted Darth Vader.

Kylo has no such similar rights to the weapon. He thinks it's his because he, too, has Skywalker blood. The name doesn't give him the right to the weapon. Only right action, and only Rey at that point rightly holds it. It's no wonder that she so easily wrests it from Kylo Ren in the forest as it flies past him into her grip. It's also interesting that in TLJ, she fights with ferocity and anger and loses the weapon as a result. Neither Kylo nor Rey have the right to hold the storied sword, because they are each fighting with sullied motives. When Rey holds a repaired weapon in TROS, she's now earned the right to carry it. However, her burial of the sword at the end of the film indicates that she has both embraced but moved beyond the Skywalker legacy. She's her own person, and she has her own blade.

13. Ruffmeian

Dec 19, 2015
    Isn't that given the saber it's own consciousness though? That's what I'm unclear about if it judges people...lol. Cuz it seems like it should've judged Anakin and been like..WTF dude?

Or maybe that's the force choosing her when the saber flew to her, and not choosing Kylo?

HevyDevy likes this.
  14. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Probably true about the mask. Although it seems like Kylo in TROS touches the charred Vader mask for extra dark influence when he is trying to sabotage Rey's training routine and get her angry.
    When he touches it we see a few flashbacks and Vader's "Join me" that is perhaps a repeat of something Palpatine once said to him as Vader.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't think sabers have their own will, but considering how they're made with the Force and regularly used with the Force, it makes sense that they would eventually develop their own Force imprints/signatures. They become imbued with the Force. And that makes them more susceptible to the will of the Force.

Luke'sSeveredHand and Ruffmeian like this.
  16. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Not to get too off topic, but the more I think about the sabers, the more I think a few problems folks have with the whole sequel trilogy could have been avoided by simply making the saber in TFA Luke's green blade (selfishly my favorite). The "how did you get this" bit still works, but doesn't draw nearly as much ire, Kylo's obsession with it would make sense as well given how we've learned the saber crystals are "bled" from fallen enemies, and ultimately, when Luke throws it over his shoulder at the beginning of TLJ it doesn't p*** people off nearly as much and would (IMHO, of course) fit more in line with his head space at that time.

Furthermore, defeating Palpatine with Luke's and Leia's blades together would have been incredible to see, although using Anakin's saber to do that was equally as powerful.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    When Attack of the Clones came out i thought Yoda was going to have a golden sabre.

19. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Gosh it's so sad to me what a missed opportunity this was to give Rey her own unique weapon, and save it for a throwaway scene at the very end.

dogprivilege likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, the symbolism of the two Skywalker sabers being used at the end is nice and all, but it would have been cool for Rey to have her golden saber in TROS. But I'm glad we got that little look at it at the end at least.

Iron_lord and AhsokaSolo like this.
  21. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I choose Leia’s blue; to me to symbolized so much for me. Her development as a character, her journey as a leader in the Rebellion than THE leader of the Resistance. Leia was the first character as a girl I looked up to and seeing her train Rey was as iconic as anything in Star Wars.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I was disappointed by the lightsaber fights in TROS. The best was the one using the force connection. But I felt like they were all shot with too many of these weird, claustrophobic medium shots where you could barely see the movement of the sabers. I really was excited for the DSII wreckage one, and it wasn't bad by any means but still relatively underwhelming compared to Anakin/Obi in ROTS.

Also, it's unbelievable Ben didn't even get to fight Palpatine, and Rey barely did. Come on..

dinnertime likes this.
  23. dinnertime

dinnertime Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2020
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but something I noticed throughout the trilogy is that they place a large emphasis on force-pulling lightsabers to the hand. It is an understandable move in many situations, but the way it is emphasized seems like there is supposed to be some deeper meaning? Perhaps it is just to add dramatic effect? I am not really sure.

24. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    It's such a missed opportunity that Rey never built a double-bladed lightsaber. It would fit her so well. I wish Kylo would've built a stable crossguard lightsaber at some point in the trilogy, and Luke used his green lightsaber during his projection.

25. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Why not both? It seems like the mask would have some inherent energy, now that sequel trilogy star wars is imbuing items with that kind of potency. Rey acquires memories and impressions from touching things (like Kaos in GUNNM, in case anyone gets the reference) so Kylo might have a similar power. The main reason I don't think Palpatine controls all of his experiences with the mask is that when he touches it, it reactivates the Force bridge but also gives him painful memories of Han Solo.

Iron_lord, HevyDevy and Sarge like this.