main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthCeltic, Apr 5, 2016.

?

Favorite Lightsaber?

1. Anakin's Blue

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Luke's Green

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Kylo's Red

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Ben's Blue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leia's Blue

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Rey's Yellow

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. Dark Rey's Red

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, Palpatine isn't necessarily controlling Kylo's experiences with the mask - more likely is that both Kylo and Rey use Psychometry - the ability to sense things by touching objects associated with certain people/events, like Quinlan Vos did in both Legends and TCW.
    This doesn't allow any communication with Vader/Anakin for Kylo though - that part is entirely Palpatine.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Rey might be making a double balded saber in the future, for she only had time build a single blade.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    When did people start calling lightsabers "sabers"? That never happened in GL's movies and I don't recall seeing it on these boards a lot in those days. Now, though, we have Maz saying just "saber" once in TFA, Rey saying it repeatedly in TROS (does anyone say "lightsaber" in that movie?)... and it's fairly common in threads like this one.
    What's up with that? Did JJ start this? Does he have a problem with the word "lightsaber"?
    Am I the only one who finds this weird? :p

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Everyone should just start calling them "laser swords" like little Ani and old Luke.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Back in the old Genndy CW series, Dooku says when training Grievous:

"You're holding the saber too tightly ... now, too lightly."

So we have an "on-screen" useage of just "saber" rather than "lightsaber" fairly early on.

K2771991 and Lulu Mars like this.
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Well, I agree that bodycount isn't necessary to validate one's ownership of a saber :p, but in terms of usage, Anakin does use it more. Jedi aren't pacifist and never were to be fair. But even in that sense, Anakin killed mostly droids before his fall, so technically Anakin's bodycount as a Jedi Knight in ROTS is higher than Rey's, but Rey killed more humans and humanoids with it as a Jedi. (With the movies alone)

And yes, Luke did kill people in the 70s Marvel comics and the Dark Horse comics, but I'm sticking to films. If the idea is how much the lightsaber is used the LEAST, than Obi-Wan would be THE owner of it, but once again, that really isnt the point. That said, Anakin's bodycount between AOTC and ROTS would have been mostly droids too compared to Luke or Rey.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    If I recall correctly it's always been common parlance outside of the films to shorten lightsaber to saber. I mean, it's equally as valid a discriptor - like shortening "longsword" to "sword."

You know I know a lot of peaple give RJ flack for having Luke say "laser sword" in TLJ, but the charecter was being pretty sarcastic (not to mention talking down to Rey) in the scene were he used that parlance.

Truthfully the best and most accurate answer to "whose lightsaber is it? Anakin's, Obi-Wan's, Luke's or Rey's?" is "it belong to all three of them at different times." while the best and most accurate answer to "who has the best claim to it?" is "whoever currently owns it, is'nt dead and does'nt have someone with a better legal claim of ownership activly trying to recover it."

Frankly as of right now that old lady from the end of TROS could go dig it up and would have as much of a right to call it hers as did any of them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    On the topic of favorites, I think Leia's lightsaber is easily the best looking one in this trilogy:

[​IMG]

Somehow, it manages to be completely unique while also having a bit of that Obi-Wan/Luke air. I love it!

I would have loved it even more if the blade had been purple, though, both because I'm a fan of Mace's lightsaber and because I know that Carrie would've picked that color if she'd had the chance.
    I also think it would suit Leia more than any other color.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That video is so sincere. Gotta like that.

MarcJordan likes this.
  11. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I have a love/hate relationship with how they handled the lightsaber effects in the ST.

On the one hand, I loved that they basically used "Force FX" lightsabers so that there could be an actual color glow from the sabers on the actor's faces/clothes/etc. Which had never been done before minus CGI characters like Yoda and the one closeup scene in the AOTC duel between anakin and dooku.

On the other hand, because these types of sabers tend to look almost like the finished product when shot on camera, I feel like the digital effects artists got lazy and didn't do much to finish the look in post production.

It seems like in a lot of shots the core isn't pure white, but more of an off white that has some of the saber's color blended in, which is probably how the prop looked when shot on camera. Either that or they watched the OT for reference prior to the most recent restoration and thought the badly done cores were how it was supposed to look.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Lulu Mars and TCF-1138 like this.
  12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, the quest for dynamic range in modern filmmaking makes people afraid of having pure white or pure black in a shot - so not even lightsaber cores are allowed to be pure white. This is dumb. I agree that the interactive light looks fantastic, but the washed out cores look terrible IMO.

Bor Mullet, DARTH_BELO and Lulu Mars like this.
  13. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    My favorite is Kylo Ren’s Crossguard Lightsaber:

[​IMG]

14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I also had an issue with the lack of glow in many shots. In TFA the lightsabers looked almost perfect, IMO. But then in TLJ the blue blade is much more subdued, and in certain shots, like on Ahch-To in daytime (like when Rey is practicing on her own), the blade just looks like a faded blue fluorescent bulb tube. Lame. Luke's in the climax on Crait is how it should've looked all throughout. Then in ROTS, it seemed anytime the blue blade was shown anywhere other than in the dark, again the glow was almost absent (see the TIE showdown in the desert of Pasaana). Not sure why the glow was so much more subdued in these last two, but then again IMO the entire saga has many inconsistencies around the lightsaber effects. They look different from eachother in almost every film-you can see it's true if you look closely. It's the one thing about the saga that irks me to this day.

The 4K versions improved upon this slightly, mostly in the OT, but if they just fixed those effects just to make them ALL consistent across the whole saga, I would be a happy man!

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    C’mon people. We can’t let green beat blue. Get out and vote blue!

17. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    Rey's yellow. I can't believe there is no merchandise featuring it, unless something's come out that I missed.

18. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    It's rad. What a missed opportunity not using it in the movie

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Saber is just short for Lighsaber. Its short hand and saves the writer time.

Its by far better than “laser sword.” Cough. Cough. :p

20. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    The poll is missing an option h) darksaber.
    I'd vote for that...

21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    There's no darksaber in the ST...

Darkstrider likes this.
  22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Its in The Mandalorian, which is canon.

Jedi Knight Fett and Darkstrider like this.
  23. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    This thread is on the ST board and concerns lightsabers seen in the ST.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Darkstrider likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    But the Mandalorian is a prequel to ST, and is likely going to build up to it and feature The First Order.

Jedi Knight Fett and Darkstrider like this.
  25. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    well...there should be?
    :D