main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Locked Thread Reading List (temporarily suspended)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Artemis_Silverbow, Aug 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
    Interesting selection, Artemis. I always enjoy Kyle Katarn stories, even though this one wasn't exactly in the usual reader-friendly format.

If only I could get little bro to lock A Return to Arms, then it could be considered for inclusion... :p

2. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    Maybe my eyesight isn't terribly sharp this early in the morning. (Or due to waking up too early. Yes, I'm up to that again, my dear Artemis. ;)) But I don't see the link to the Katarn story posted here. I'll try again later, but right now I see nothing.

3. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    Oh, glory of glories! The latest posting did show up. I was impressed with the story selection. I liked the fact that Kyle Katarn was featured in a story. (He may be underexposed in the "Star Wars" universe, but he does rank right up there with some of my other favorite Jedi Knights, like Mara Jade, Kyp Durron, and Corran Horn.) The ending of the story was interesting, if a bit open ended. Perhaps I'll do a search to see if Darth Muis wrote anything afterwards, because I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of sequel. Also, the story was fast-paced and action packed, which is well suited for the "Star Wars" setting. Again, a most wonderful selection, Artemis. :D

4. Artemis_Silverbow

Artemis_Silverbow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2001
    It wouldn't do you much good to lock "A Return to Arms" just yet, ql. I'm working my way through the fan fic board from back to front. I'm not even up to 2001 yet!

I don't know what was going on the first time you looked, LordMoltar, but the link was there when I posted the selection, and it's there now. Perhaps your computer was playing tricks on you again ;)

It's unfortunate that Kyle Katarn features in so few stories, so I'm always happy when I can find one :) I'm glad the two of you liked it. I did send a message to Darth Muis, but as he hasn't logged in since April, or posted since January, I'm not very hopeful of getting a reply :( Hmmm... what should I post next?

5. Artemis_Silverbow

Jun 9, 2001
    It must be Friday :) Time for a Locked Thread Reading List update :D

This week's story is First Impressions by KnightMara, and it's about little Luke Skywalker's first day of school....

If you'd like PM notification of updates(and aren't already on the list), send a PM to Echo_of_Artemis(check my watched user's list), or post your desire to be added to the notification list on this thread.

6. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I liked this week's choice enough to comment on it.

It was funny and I wish there could have been more of it.

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Whew! Finally have time to read again. I have to go back and look at Darth Muis' story. I haven't read much about Kyle Katarn, either, but quietlunatic's story has whetted my appetite for other fics about him.

This was a delightful little fic and I was sad to see it end, but as KnightMara indicated, it was a natural stopping place. She did a great job of individualising each character, and I loved the remark about not being able to distinguish the teachers of the different grades, because they all came from the same Imperial mold.

8. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    Ah... the memories of public education are starting to come back again. :) (The better ones, I mean, Artemis.) Nice story choice for this recent update. I thought it was appropriately light-hearted. It did seem odd, though, that for a three page posting, only one of the pages was actual story material. As for the abrupt ending, it made sense to me. (Maybe more so for me, because Luke's answer to how his school day went is often the way I talk about my class days, to this very day!) Thank you yet again for a fine story selection.

9. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    Wow, Jane Jinn. That made all those months of toil worthwhile. :)

10. KnightMara

KnightMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    Wow, I've been gone from the boards for a month to find that this long-forgotten story has resurfaced! Thanks for recommending it, and to all those who have read and commented on it! You've made my month, really!!! :D

11. Artemis_Silverbow

Jun 9, 2001
    Young Luke fics always seem to be popular-I wonder why that is? Granted, I'm sure he was a cute kid ;)

I'm glad you all liked it :) And a big thank you to KnightMara for stopping by :D I'm glad we could help "make your month." ;)

12. Artemis_Silverbow

Jun 9, 2001
    It's Friday again! :D And who could start their weekend without a Locked Thread Reading List update? ;) This week's selection is Hand vs. Hand by Darth420. In this short story, Luke and Mara encounter a woman from the past while on their honeymoon. This story is notable for including a character from Marvel Comic's foray into Star Wars, and Darth420 is even kind enough to provide an explanation of the character's history. Enjoy! :)

If you'd like PM notification of updates(and aren't already on the list), send a PM to Echo_of_Artemis(check my watched user's list), or post your desire to be added to the notification list on this thread.

13. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    Gee, and to think all I had to look forward to on Fridays before was the every other week paycheck. ;) But back to your most recent posting, Artemis. I only know a BIT about the Marvel comics series, but it's neat to see a story include elements from the series. Even if I had never read, or heard about it, I still would've probably enjoyed this most recent story selection. (I'm a sucker for Dark Siders, and Shira does fit the mold rather nicely.) Call me a whiner if you wish, but I also felt the story went TOO fast. Anyhoo, nice selection for this week, Artemis. :D

14. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't know anything about comics, but I was able to understand and enjoy this story, especially the end, where Mara sees what she could have become. I also loved that last line! Good selection!

15. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    this is the 2nd straight story that is on this list that I have read. It was a good story. Glad the author explained about the comics, because I never read them.

Are they available in TPB anywhere?

16. quietlunatic

Oct 13, 2001
    Certainly an interesting selection, Artemis. I'm not much of a fan with L/M type stuff and Mara Jade in general, but it did a good job of departing from the usual characterizations of Mara (red, flaming, fiery red-gold hair and emerald green piercing eyes...).

17. Artemis_Silverbow

Jun 9, 2001
    Four replies? [face_shocked] I'm surprised that story got so many. Not that it's a bad story, but I usually get more responses from JA or A/A fics. I'm glad everybody seemed to like it, even if, as LordMoltar pointed out, it went rather fast.

I don't know if the Marvel stories are available in TPB Jedi_Liz. LordMoltar might know. I suggest you ask him.

Not a fan of Mara Jade, ql? [face_shocked] :mad: 8-} That's alright :) Though she happen to be one of my personal favorites, I realize many people find her a ...controversial character. I'm glad you didn't allow that to stop you from checking out the story.

18. Artemis_Silverbow

Jun 9, 2001
    OK, first off, I apologize for missing a week [face_blush](If anybody's interested or curious, LordMoltar and I were off indulging in our otaku tendecies at an anime con-ALL WEEKEND! Good thing JAFAX{Japanese Animation, Film, and Art eXpo} comes but once a year ;)) To make up for the lapse, this week's selection will be a little longer than the past few. I present An Ancient Lesson, by HealerLeona. 16 year-old Qui-Gon?s having trouble with saber lessons. Can an old friend of Yoda?s help? Enjoy! :)

19. LordMoltar

Jul 25, 2001
    Not to sound overly suck-uppish, but you've made another excellent story selection, Artemis. (Yes, I know there's no such word, but you have to admit it has a certain flair. ;)) There are two main reasons why I favor this story so much. One is it's a tale about Qui-Gon's youth, and I've mentioned to you before how I was interested in seeing stories dealing with that particular subject. The other was this story was essentially the "Star Wars" version of "The Karate Kid"! Think about it: Qui-Gon trains with a master that even he doesn't know a lot about. And there's the fighting tournament concept. It all just tugs at the nostolgia heartstrings. :D I must say again that this was a fine story choice.

20. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah, that story brings back excellent memories! A great selection, and it was fun to read it again. Too bad we don't hear much anymore from Healer Leona. It's been way too long since her last post on The Lion Sleeps Tonight, and ever longer since her last stand-alone story!

21. Artemis_Silverbow

Jun 9, 2001
    My deepest thanks to you few but faithful ;) I am a little confused, however. I KNOW Qui-Gon has more fans than just us three. I wonder where they all went? :confused:

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    OMG!!! I don't often get to the Wrtiter's Research board but a friend told me to check out this thread.

I am shocked and very humbled by your inclusion of my story here Artemis_Silverbow And I want to thank you, LordMoltar and Jane for your very kind words.

And as far as more stories, I am currently working on a post for TLST, hope to have it ready today..tomorrow...*crosses fingers* and as far as stand alone stories, I'm also working on two others... one in the JemmiahChronicles line and another... not quite sure but both deal qith Qui-Gon.. big surprise there huh? :) :)

Again, thanks for all your interest and feedback... keeps my inspiration up to write.

23. Artemis_Silverbow

Jun 9, 2001
    I was going to point out that I did send a PM notifying you that one of your stories was a Locked Thread Reading List selection, Healer_Leona, but then I noticed that the name on the story and the name you used to post here were different [face_shocked](What a difference an underscore makes ;)) Anyhoo, however it was you found out, thank you for stopping by :)

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ahhhh, my first name when registering on the JC got locked up around the same time the UBB was messing up. I wound up having to re-register with a new name. But thanks again Artemis!! :) :)

25. Artemis_Silverbow

Jun 9, 2001
    You're very welcome M'lady Leona :) ;)

Alrighty then.....did everyone have a good 4th? Yes, no, maybe? Well, the hoilday weekend is about to get better(at least, I hope it is ;)), because it's time for another Locked Thread Reading List update! :D This week's selection is something I found a long time ago, but hadn't quite worked up the courage to post-until now. It's not bad, it's just rather.....unique(if that's the word). I will say it had me laughing. And now that I have all of you worried [face_devil], I present the 28th Locked Thread Reading List selection: Good Ol' Palpy to the Rescue by jedi_master_gimpy, a very short humor scene about Palpatine's arrival on the second Death Star. Enjoy! :D

P.S. Has anybody else noticed that every "Story of the Week" on the Fan Fiction board has been on a locked thread? I'm not going to cause any trouble about it, but that had me feeling just a touch.....territorial [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.