main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The London Film Club - A Chat about Films

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Is Clone Wars basically the new TV series uncut into a film version?
    Or is the film an extended pilot for the series?

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Have a nice holiday, Chris :D
    I'm not too bothered by seeing Forbidden Kingdom but I did catch the title sequence which looked very nice. I was told the film has some connection with the Monkey legend, which does make me more intrigued but I think you might be right in that it's been designed too much for the Western audience.

I'm looking forward to Hell Boy II but we have over a month to go before that one is released here. I need to re-watch the first Hell Boy film too because I wasn't overly-keen first time round, but this second one sounds much more promising and of cause bodes well for The Hobbit.
    Don't spoil us too much with The Dark Knight Yrol :p I wish they were going for a simultaneous world wide release with that one but with Wall-E out officially next week I guess they didn't want a clash. But on that note I will try and see Wall-E next week. We actually received our copy on Wednesday but I didn't get to rehearse it.

The Clone Wars film will be the first three episodes combined into one edit. I'm pleased they are having this big cinematic launch for it, but I do think it's purely to rake-in some extra cash. I'm hoping nearer the release date I'll get more excited about it. Sounds like you're making a nice event out of it though Yrol. I might try and jazz our cinema up Star Wars style for the big day, although I'm actually on holiday for the release day, lol. If it plays digitally, then I can make a CD for our digital auditorium and maybe even play our fanfilm before hand ;)

3. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    You could say it's an extended pilot for the show. The movie release of the Clone Wars is basically one story arc, that would normally be over the course of 3 or 4 22 min episodes. I've heard it's clocking in around the 2 hour mark. After that, the TV series kicks off here in November - a half hour show every week for approx. 20 weeks. Of course, international release dates will vary - we're just lucky to get the simulcast from the US. The TV series will not just focus on the main characters as well - which will make it really interesting to watch!

4. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    THE DARK KNIGHT

There are simply NO words to describe the intensity, insanity and absolute splendor that is this movie.

10 outta 10.
    Did NOT disappoint. All hail the BATMAN!

That's all I'm gonna say :D

5. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I had a good feeling you'd love it Yrol, but I wasn't expecting such a glowing summary than that!! :D I really don't know when I'll actually see it for the first time, but this coming Wednesday is a strong possibility. Now I can't wait!!

I did, however, see Wall·E today and I luved it!! So much so that straight after I headed to the Disney store and purchased not one but two Wall·E toys, lol.
    I think you could split the film into two parts. I was always concerned that the film would begin to fall apart when the humans came on the scene, but it didn't. While the first-half is a masterpiece, the film as a whole was such a pleasure. Visually stunning, great nods to Silent Running (well, more then a nod, this could be classed as an unofficial sequel), 2001, ET and Short Circuit. The fact that there is hardly any dialogue is one of the major highlights, and the interaction between Wall·E and EVE was just wonderful. I think this has to be my current favourite Pixar film.

I can see why you've seen it so many times Yrol. And Jamie, I know you usually wince in pain when the word animation is mentioned, but would you give this a go?? Seriously, it's far and beyond an animation.

And now onto Watchmen news; the trailer is up at empireonline.com
    WOW!!!! With this and The Dark Knight, I think we've been spoilt badly.

6. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    i love pixar!
    we're going to go and see wall-e later today.
    as for the watchemen trailer...
    we'll see.

7. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    what a wall-e!
    we wnet to see wall-e last night,and very good it was,too.
    not up there with the incredibles...but the animation was simply incredible,lol!
    i hope they make a wall-e scaled to the star wars action figs,i want one to go with my indy figures.
    three days til TDK.

8. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    The Disney store have lots of Wall·E figures, and they're all very good and come in various sizes. I got myself two of them :D

I might see TDK tonight, if not then tomorrow. Or I might wait until next Tuesday at the IMAX....... I really don't know what to do [face_thinking]

9. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I opt for which ever one is most comfy, it feels long near the end.

Bit like return of the king but with less endings :p

10. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    eh?
    two days to go til TDK.

11. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    We went to the 3:30 show and left at 6:10 and that was at the start of the credits. Certain things could have been cut out as towards the end I could feel the length of the movie.

12. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    eh?
    what are you talking about,J?
    not wall-e,surely?
    that was only twenty minutes...

13. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Jeannette is talking about the 152 minutes of The Dark Knight, Jamie ;)

For now I've decided to make my first proper viewing on Tuesday at the IMAX. It feels like the right thing to do because I want to experience it with a big crowd and not having to worry about anything. I just have to avoid watching any of it until then, which shouldn't be too big a problem [face_worried]

We received our Watchmen trailers today :D
    Sadly it's not attached to nay films yet :(

14. Ramesh

Ramesh Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    A shame you have to wait that long but I think you're doing the right thing Matt. We saw Batman the other night at the IMAX and visually it made a big difference and enhanced the overall experience. The film is just awesome... no other word for it.

Too long Jeannie? I felt the time fly by.. I didn't want the film to end. I wish it was 252 minutes instead. :)

15. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    some dumb little ***** in maccy-dees took ages to serve me my chicken mcnuggets so we missed the first ten minutes.
    i was not amused,not one little bit.
    /sigh...
    i guess i'll just have to go and see it again,
    and again,
    and again...
    whoooooooooooooooooo!!!
    whooop!

16. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    Good, you all seem pretty happy about the Batman movie. We are going Sunday night. An old friend of mine is coming over for a week tomorrow. We were considering it in the IMAX cinema but there are no tickets until about August 5th so we decided against it.

I don't mind long movies as long as they keep me entertained. Fortunately my stomach is getting better from the bug I picked up in Hungary. It kept me going to the loo way too often for the last week and today was the first free day. Tomorrow I should be able to handle the large popcorn and coke. [face_devil]

Thanks for the good wishes, Matt. Holiday was good, I passed my aikido grading (while ill). Now the only thing I want to do is rest. Wait, isn't that what holiday was for? [face_whistling]

17. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    Went to see the Batman movie and didn't like it very much. The only good thing was the Joker but even that was verging on the disturbing for a 12-rated movie. It's funny how I understand most English accents but some Americans just elude me. Such a one was Batman's voice and mostly I only heard growling and lost about half the plot.

Nevermind, there is still Hellboy II and the X-files movies.

18. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Perhaps it was then because it was 40C outside they cranked the AC up to high, which bugs me so perhaps I was noticing that so made me want to leave. 40C is too hot but I don't want to freeze to death either.
    I'll have to wait for DVD to try that theory though, too expensive to go again :(

19. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i'm going to see TDK again tomorrow and then hopefully again in imax on saturday.
    i'm bat-crazy,i tell ya.

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    The South Bank BFI IMAX is pretty much sold-out until mid August. And rightly so because the IMAX scenes are stunning.

Okay, so I've seen the film but I really need to see it again. There's so much going on that I feel that I've only seen half of it. But what I did see was quite brilliant.
    Some really great stuff going on from all areas. The integration scene was a real stand-out, largely because it was Batman!
    Majestic performances by all, and while Heath Ledger was completely mesmerising I really feel that Gary Oldman held it all together.

The story was very dark, grim, horrifying, complex and brilliant. I would compare this film to my first viewing of There Will be Blood, in which I knew I'd seen something very different and wondrous but just unable to appreciate it as fully as it deserves. This will be corrected when I see it again, and then I know I can safely say just how much I love this film.

On the length, 152 minutes was spot-on. If anything, another 10 minutes would have been better. Didn't feel long at all and I never wondered what the time was. I was completely engrossed about 20 minutes into it and lost in another world.

Hope to see the 35mm print very soon. The only down side is I may have to see Love Guru this week, which was always going to be like torture but even more so after seeing this tour-de-force of a film. Why can't all UK cinemas ban it like the bfi have *sigh*

21. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    /sigh,i could go on for hours and still not do this film adequate justice...
    gary oldmans performance is amazing,rooted in reality and realism.
    the set-pieces i think have really pushed the bar for action films now,and from a director who doesn't do action films,lol.
    it's just a great film,
    aaand,relax.

22. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm also still recovering from The Dark Knight. While not perfect, it's still staggering brilliant in so many places and I have no idea how Christopher Nolan got away with it knowing the evils of the hollywood studio system, lol.

Thankfully I didn't have to watch The Love Guru and I was spared having to watch The Mummy 3 too. Next week of cause will see The Clone Wars which is should be able to watch. I have a bad feeling about this.... ;)

23. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    We have just come home from watching the third Mummy movie and we absolutely loved it. Not 100% but a perfect laugh-out-loud-in-places adventure. My friend and I were somewhat divided over the actress-swap for Evelyn; I liked her and he didn't quite so much.

So we must have something messed up in our brains because we found the Dark Knight quite a bore - except for the excellent Joker - and loved Mummy 3 all the more.

Next movie is Hellboy 2 towards the end of the month and there was a trailer for an action movie with Vin Diesel - or whatever's his name - that interested us a bit.

Although I'm not interested in The Clone Wars, except on 3D but if I could make a request I would like to see Mongol in the IMAX cinema because that was a real awesome picture that deserves a huuuuuuuge screen.

24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I have no idea why I saw Mongol, but I agree; it was awesome.

I watched Hellboy on dvd the week before the sequel got released, and I absolutely loved it. Curiously, Empire magazine claimed the first film had so much going on that Hellboy did not get much screen time in the first film, and on seeing it, I have no idea what the hell (no pun intended) they were talking about!

25. chrisfree

Apr 28, 2006
    Hellboy 2 was quite fun. I read some reviews that said it's boring and a lot of money has been wasted making it but then I don't know anything about the whole background story and have not seen the first movie either. I liked all the characters, good portrayals for a make-up movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.