main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto *** The Long Line - Friday May 10th-Thursday May 16th **

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Toronto begins it?s week long line for Episode II. This is it, the final countdown. The home stretch. The long line.

We will begin our line on the sidewalk, 6:00 pm Friday May 10th at the Sheppard Centre Grande Cinemas. Members of the line may come and go as they may ? this is supposed to be fun, not a test of endurance, after all. A signup sheet and logbook will be kept at the head of the line. The number of hours you have logged between Friday at 6:00 pm and Wednesday at noon will determine your position in line for entering the theatre.

The Toronto Long Line will be holding a food drive throughout the line in support of the North York Harvest Food Bank. Please bring a canned good or non-perishable food item to the line for donation.

A small block of tickets (aproximately 40) have been purchased in advance for the midnight screening. Members of the line may purchase one of these tickets if they have both donated an item to the food bank, and have spent six hours in the line over a minimum of two days.

2. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    So you wanna wait in line forever and a day.

You?ve decided, ?what the heck? and are on your way to join us. Great! Very glad to hear it, and I look forward to meeting you. So let me pull you aside for a moment and explain the Toronto Long Line?

How do I join?
    Easiest thing in the world. Just come to the sidewalk entrance to the Sheppard Centre Cineplex Odeon. There?s a big binder on hand. Fill out one of the forms and log in what time you arrived. You are now a member of the line.

So ? do I have to stay there the whole time?
    No. The line is meant to be fun, not an endurance test. Come when you?d like to, leave when you have to. We?ll keep track of how long you?re in line all together. Your total number of hours will determine your spot in line.

Timesheets ? how does that work?
    When you arrive ? mark it down in the book. When you go ? mark it down again. Easy enough. There is a bit of leeway to the timesheets, but we expect you to keep honest. If you want to run down to the food court for some chow-mein or make a quick trip to the bathroom, there?s no need to log out.

Do take care though ? if you are away from the line for more than an hour we will log you out from the moment you left. If no one can recall when you left, then we will log you out the last time we remember seeing you. Better to remember to log out than to have us scratching our heads saying, ?anyone remember when ?Fred? left to get a sandwich? Oh well ? mark him down as only having been here for a half hour??

Each night, a member of the ad hoc committee will tally everyone?s hours. Wednesday at noon, a final tally will be made. The individual with the most hours as of that time will have the first position in line. The person with the least hours will be at the back of our line.

Please respect your fellow members in line by accepting your position in line. If someone is ahead of you, it is because they earned it. Pooling hours together, sharing hours, trading hours are not an option. We go by what you as an individual have done and by that alone. If you are afraid of being separated from your family or friends ? don?t. We will only formalize the line for the last hour or two. If you wish to move back to join someone, that is allowed, but no one may move forward without the explicit consent of each and every person ahead of them. **

**The only exception that will be made is for members of the family under the age of 12. We wouldn?t dream of separating anyone from a younger sibling or child. Please try to give one of the ad hoc members advance warning if you plan to bring some munchkins to join you in line.

What time does the line start?
    Friday, May 10th at 6:00 pm. It will carry on straight through to the first showing of SWEpII:AotC, Thursday May 16th.

Are tickets on sale?
    Yes. As of early Thursday afternoon, there were still tickets on sale at the box office of the Grande and over CineCharge (416) 964-2463.

We have purchased a small block of 40+ tickets for members of the line. Once you have made a donation to the food bank and spent six hours in line over a minimum of two days, you will be allowed to purchase one ticket at cost ($13.50)

What are the rules to the line?
    We thought about printing up a list of rules and having it at the line, but once we sat down and wrote our rules out, we saw it was short enough that we may as well tell people directly.
    Rule#1 ? don?t get us sued.
    Rule#2 ? don?t land us in jail.
    We figure that you?re intelligent enough to know when the rules are being broken, and that you?re responsible enough to keep from breaking them.

What should I bring?
    A jacket or change of warm clothes.
    The weather is expected to be chilly for the beginning of the week, with lows of 2° possible. Let?s face it ? we?re in Canada and it can get quite chilly at times. Be ready for it.

Sunscreen
    Just because it?s chilly, doesn?t mean you won?t be catching some rays. Some of us got nasty sunburns last ti

3. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    This will, likely, be my last post before the line starts, so, I just wanted to say that I hope everyone has a great time!!

See you in line!!

4. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    just got back from a 23hr stint at the line, and I have to say that you people are great.

A brief warning for everyone to bring their umbrellas, and a dry change of clothes. The forecast calls for rain tomorrow and Monday.

5. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I think that there is only one word that can describe it so far: COLD. There were eight of us out on the street last night, and it was absolutely freezing (I think it hit 0 degrees at one point). We were huddled in sleeping bags on the chairs (Mace and I were on foam on the ground) with many layers of sweatshirts on. Boy, am I relieved to be back home now - need to gather strength for another night like that!

Other than that, we're having a lot of fun - we've met both very strange people ("protest mankind"), and very nice people (drive by "giftings" and coffee).

Fun times :)

6. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    I have to second the COLD! and WET!

I'm at the office this morning, or else I'd be in line, but the last three nights were both soggy and pretty uncomfortable. For anyone who's coming out, I'd recommend bringing along a few blankets/sleeping bags as well as umbrellas or tarps. Also, a comfortable folding chair or a foam mattress like Debbie has will do wonders for your back in the morning.

And don't forget a donation for the North York Harvest Food Bank! ;)

Cris~

7. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    A part of your complete nutritious breakfast

I've just confirmed with Public Relations at Cineplex Odeon that Kellogs will be at the line tomorrow (Wed.) morning at 8:00am.

They will be there to promote their Star Wars cereal, which we are all very very familiar with. I've been told that as well as getting fed cereal, they will be handing out the EpII Rubiks Cubes to the first 50 people there as well as some other gifty, promotional items.

I've advised them that a lot of us do have work/school/whatever come 9am. They've assured me that it should be all wrapped up by 8:30. So if you can spare some time on the way to wherever - or if you've been debating what time to arrive tomorrow - now you know.

8. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

yargh!!! i cannot make it until 11am at least...sigh :( if anyone gets a r2d2/c3p0 rubix cube they would like to part with, aside from undying gratitude i can gift you with munchies during the movie!! :)

9. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Apparently I'm here to post a correction. At the line today, we were told by Kate from Cineplex that the Kelloggs group was showing at 10am.

So I'd split the dif and be there at 9.

It''s 4 am, and I left about 15 people still at the line!

10. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Well - at this point they're either there or they're wrapping up.

Before leaving last night, I asked Adam to do what he could to secure stuff for everyone. Hopefully they're willing to leave enough items to cover all who have participated in the line.

11. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    tickets - we still have some

About six of them, and will sell at cost to anyone who donates an item of food to the food drive.

We also have posters that were presented to us by our mysterious drive-by gifter. Add three items to the food bin and you will be given a poster, while supplies last.

Ask David, Adam or myself about the posters when you make your donation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.