main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Long Wait - how long will you wait for the next book?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've been talking to people and reading about high-profile series lately. I've always preferred them to stand-alones - there's more story to enjoy; I get to stay with fun characters in a fun world longer.

But there are downsides. George R. R. Martin and Scott Lynch are both in the middle of theirs, with release dates that keep being pushed back and vague excuses given. Melanie Rawn is in the middle of her Exiles trilogy. Book 2 was publish in 97. Book 3 is still not written.

I realize the above examples aren't the only examples of people who write multiple books in a series - some do it well and without the huge waits - but I have to wonder, does it make anyone want to give up on a series when the publishing date keeps getting moved back? Have you ever given up? Who will you wait a decade for?

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The only series I've read that's had an issue with release dates getting pushed back significantly is Wheel of Time (or at least, the only series I was sufficiently into that I really noticed)... and I've certainly been willing to wait as long as it comes out eventually. To wait more than a decade... it better be a pretty darn good series, but if its good enough, I'd still read the new one once it finally came out.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, I'll wait as long as they make me wait. I can't do anything to speed it up, and I can't see myself giving up on a series purely because of a long wait. If I'm interested in it now, then I'll be interested in it then unless my tastes change.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I reserve the right to stop waiting if I die before the author. In all seriousness, I'll continue to pick up a series as long as it interests me. Some interest me longer than others. And there are always good books to read that I haven't read yet. Don't get me wrong: if Martin ever finishes the next Song of Ice and Fire book, I'll get it the morning of the day it comes out. But neither do I have any hope or expectation that it'll be released soon.

I'm also rather fortunate in that my favorite author at the moment, Jim Butcher, generally puts out two books each year plus a number of short stories.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    How long can a stopped series hold your interest for? Or does it depend on the series?

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    It would depend on the series, though I've never yet had one go long enough to cause me to lose interest.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Waits don't bother me. If Martin doesn't release Dance for another ten years, then so be it. Plenty of great books out there I haven't read yet.

8. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Reading multiple series helps with the wait....

I will wait....like many do. If I have read multiple books in a series, I have to know how it ends or goes on...so my interest doesn't really go away, or die out.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I re-read my older books and wait patiently for the new ones.

10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Same here pretty much, I have never given up on a good series. The closest I have been is just down right angry that it is taking Martin so long to write book 5 that I have very low expectations that he will finish the series. I personally think that he may have lost interest in it myself. But regardless I will continue to wait for it.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I have to say, a few days ago I started typing that I was about done waiting for the next Melanie Rawn book since it's been 8 years since #2 in one of her trilogies, but I had to delete it - I actually probably would still read it.

But I only read the first Martin book, and I plan on not reading any more until the whole series is out. My way of disliking the really long waits with nothing seeming to get done. I realize that not everyone can put out 1+ books a year, but I really like Sanderson blogging about his progress etc. - that shows progress, shows readers that he's working, even if it might be taking a while.

12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah Sanderson is badass with his blog progress percentage isn't he? I hope that his Way of Kings 10book series will be like his regular release schdule has been.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, and I really wish everyone else could put out great material as often as he can :p

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That percentage bar is awesome, I have to agree :)

15. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Finally finished Secret Atlas. You were right, R...J, it doesn't really have a cliffhanger, it's more like "What the kriff is going on!?!?!?" By the time I find a copy of Cartomancy I'll probably have forgotten everything that happened. :(

16. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I've stopped on Martin until he finishes the series. A Game of Thrones was an average novel, but not the masterpiece I heard from everyone. I'm off of his practical joke until 2049 when the conclusion is complete.

17. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    I've never had a problem waiting for books, but that's mainly beause I don't start reading them until they are well into their run. The only problem I'm having right now is with Saga of Seven Suns. I waited to read the final 3 books until the MMPB of book 7 came out, and now I just can't get around to jumping back in.

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'll wait forever. I can dive back into a series after five years and still remember names and situations, and there's more than enough out there to keep me busy in the interim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.