main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General ~*The Lord of the Rings Discussion thread*~ (FOTR, TTT and ROTK-spoilers blacked out please)

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    I picked up the latest copy of Film Review magazine and the issue was jam packed with info and pictures of Orli and a special feature on Troy and LOTR:ROTK.

There were articles on Viggo, Orli, Elijah, Miranda Otto and Bernard Hill too. And the pics were lovely.

The Troy special was great too...loads of huge colourful images.

And it seems to be an Orli issue of the magazine coz they interviewed him about Pirates and his film career.

Xan, sounds like an issue for you, girl! ;)

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Ooo ... Film Review, eh? I'll have to see if I can get it over here. :D

3. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    I wonder if the pics are put on the net soon after the isue is sold? :confused:

Let's see... ;)

*goes picture hunting* [face_mischief]

Edit:-

Got it! Here's the cover of the magazine I bought...it's the January 2004 issue. :D

[image=http://www.visimag.com/filmreview/images/f162_cover.jpg]

4. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I've seen that mag over here in the UK but something told me it was for the ladies ;)

I can't believe you never got TTT pash in the cinemas :( :(
    That just sucks big time!! I hope you can get a decent copy of RotK in that case, but unfortunately RotK is one of those films that has to be seen on the big screen to really appreciate it. None the less I'm sure you'll love it because as harsh a critic I am, I have to put my hands up and say RotK is a very good film.

I still have a disliking for FotR however. I think it's because I loved reading the book so much that I had my own vision on how things would be and the film just didn't compare to them.
    TTT:EE was good though, and I'm really looking forward to RotK:EE but Ian McKellen recently said on UK TV that he reckons it will be 5 hours long :eek:

5. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Whoa ... 5 hours? Excellent! :D The more LOTR, the better. :D

^ words of a die-hard fan with waayy too much time on her hands. :p

6. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Hulllooooo Matt! :D Xan, meet Matt from FF Kent. :) Matt, the other LOTR lady here is Xan. :)

We're glad to have you here! It's a real DL hang out...if you noticed. [face_devil]

Not getting big movies like that is a pity. I remember watching FOTR on the big screen. My cousins were seated on either side of me and my cousin sis jumped and grabbed my hand when the ring wraiths showed up. It was amazing! [face_shocked] :cool:

I am reading FOTR at the moment...but now I guess the characters I visualise are the ones I've seen in the movie. Heheh, it's pretty easy to imagine good old Lego! ;)

*nudge nudge to Xan* [face_devil]

I'm glad to here the final installment is good. It makes it all worthwhile. At the end of the day this will be one of those sagas that really does well. The regular sequels curse hasn't fallen on this beautiful story. :)

words of a die-hard fan with waayy too much time on her hands.

[face_laugh]

I have a lot on my hands, but I'm joining in the "Whoo Hoos" Xan! ;) [face_laugh] The more the better! :D

7. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Yep, I should have introduced myself earlier, So thanks for that pash :)
    And I have noticed the number of DL's here, so I best be on my gaurd in that case ;)

I always imagined Legolas to look older, but I have no objection to Orli playing him because he does the job well :)
    In fact I think the whole casting for the films was great, although I'm still iffy with Arwen(Liv Tyler) and Galadriel(Cate Blanchett). But with Aragorn being my favourite character I was most worried about him, and Viggo does the job brilliantly and to me no one else could have played Aragorn.

I've only recently started to read the Harry Potter books and I also based my visions on the films. It's the natrual thing to do really but would have been interesting to see what I came up with without the films.

Whoo-hoo indeed although even for me 5 hours is a looong time, lol. I think 4 1/2 will be more like it but the more the better certainly :D

8. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    No probs Matt. :) Your're welcome for the intro. As for our DL qualifications...well, we're nice girls, really! ;) There are a few more guys here...Grimby is MIA these days-busy I believe. :( Oh, he's a DL too! [face_devil]

Legolas looking older...must keep reading it see if he is infact older...wait, you mean because he's actually ancient in terms of years? ;) I guess elves don't age, right?

Actually I imagined Aragorn to look older in the book. They mentioned how his hair was greying slightly or something-correct me if I'm wrong. :) That was somewhere in the chapter where the hobbits first saw him properly, at the inn, in Bree.

Matt, did you know that the original Aragorn was Stuart Townsend? Two days into filming, in New Zealand, Townsend was fired...creative differences between him and Peter Jackson. That's how Viggo got the role. Good thing too. Townsend is pretty ;)...but not rugged enought for Aragorn...Viggo did him justice! :cool:

Arwen and Galadriel...haven't read about them in the books yet, Matt...why do you think so? I'm curious. ;) And I won't take it the wrong way...I'm interested to know your opinion on that. :)

HP... I haven't read the books...I follow the films though. The kids are adorable and everyone who's read the books says that the kids really live up to their expectations-especially the primary 3...Harry, Ron and Hermoine.

Oh and Matt...about the LOTR:ROTK movie length...you remember the joke about the loo breaks? [face_laugh] 5 hours...if they were showing it in a movie theatre I'd have to run atleast once! [face_shocked] [face_laugh]

9. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Heheh ... dont' worry, we don't bite. Hard. [face_mischief]

I don't really remember what I imagined them to be when I read LOTR ... though I must say, Viggo fits the bill for Aragorn perfectly. I don't remember anything about him having grey hair, but I think he looks better without it. It fits the whole slow-ageing thing. And granted, I actually imagined Legolas differently, but hey, I'm not complaining. :p

The only real complaint I have about the films in general is that I thought the elves spoke too slowly. I found that irritating for some reason.

LOL ... I remember that loo joke. TORN has a whole essay on it which is pretty entertaining, if you can get past the fact that it's about toilet breaks. :p When I get the EE, I'll definitely have to take a break when I switch the discs. :p

10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    I must re-read that chapter and see...about Aragorn. Oh definitely Xan, Viggo was brill! :cool:

Lego...heheh, no complaints here either. Just the "whoo hoos". [face_laugh]

And the loo breaks...hahaha, I will pause the video at home. 8-} After all, no cinema for me...unless by some fluke, they decide to show it here at the cinemas. [face_shocked]

11. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    LOL ... in the EE, you have to switch discs in the middle, so it works out fine. :p

12. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I am glad I am not the only one who has a problem with the length of the movie and going to the bathroom :p

As for elves, they don't really age. I have it somewhere that explains it exactly but basically elves don't die like men do. They can be killed in battle or by another way which they can die can't remember it exactly.

Otherwise they just live on. If you look at it Elrond is several thousand years old so don't even want to imagine how old exactly Galadriel is lol.

13. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Aah, perfect timing, no Xan? ;)

You are not alone in the fight, Jean...we need our loo breaks, we do! 8-}

Jean...of course...look at our beloved Lego! ;) Now here I had originally thought the Prince of Mirkwood was this nice fine young thing...apparently he's pretty ancient. Well...he ages well all right! [face_laugh]

Yep, they are immortal in that they cannot die of natural causes...and they don't age. But one of the main elves-I forget his name but he was in TTT-died when he was shot with and arrow. He is the elf who brought the elven army to Helms Deep. Remember, Aragorn hugged him? :)

14. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol well Legolas says about Fangorn Forest "I've seen the leafs turn over 500 times" or something along those lines so would place him as quite old. Damn he looks good though ;)

You mean Haldir Pash, he's the one who died in TTT from the arrow.
    Same with Arwen's mother is hit by a poison arrow from an Orc and can not recover so she leaves middle earth.

Ok can anyone tell I have read the books? :p

15. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Over 500...I think I read somewhere that he really was ancient...yeah. [face_shocked]
    Tell me about it...that elf looks fine. ;)

Haldir? Aah, thanks Jean...

Yes, you've read the books all right babe. ;)

I'm sooo excited about ROTK...blast...video get here quick! :mad:

16. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Thing is there isn't anywhere I have seen that states Legolas's age so guessing he is at least like 600 but most likely he is thousands of years old like Elrond.

But yes he is one damn fine elf [face_mischief]

lol I am about half way through the silmarillion, I love it :D

lol I want ROTK on DVD here :p

17. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Elf boy... *turns on the A/C*

Getting kinda warm in here, no? ;)

I believe there are some books here on the history of Middle earth. I believe these books are based on what Christopher Tolkien put togther from what remained of his father's writings. :)

But as usual...our bookshops don't have all the books. :( I read in one passage though that Gimli and Lego sail to the undying lands eventually. Long after the wars...

And Aragorn will of course die...Arwen sails to the undying lands too right? :confused:

What's this about Eowyn and Faramir? Someone told me that...now I'm not sure if I asked this before. 8-}

Oh sweetie...bootlegs of ROTK can't be out this early! ;)

18. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Oh yes definatly getting warm ;)

Yeah alot of stuff has been edited by Christopher Tolkien since.

Legolas and Gimli basically continue after LOTR going off together on adventures. But when the time comes I am assuming Dwarfs don't live as long (my specialty is elves ;) )Legolas builds a boat which him and Gimli sail to the undying lands together.

Aragorn dies after having several children with Arwen, she dies like a year after him. She is not supposed to go to the undying lands. I guess it has to specially be arranged by the elves for that.

Well there is something to do with Eowyn and Faramir which is to do with the film but it's not a biggy really. I know they get it together I just don't know what happens to them.

Oh there can be bootlegs out already believe me. I just haven't looked yet. I am planning on looking first when I am in Canada as they will have more chances of having it than here but there are some circulating about already over here just not many.

And I think looking at this all I really do need to stop reading and get out more :p

19. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Arwen dying...my cousin said somink about that...so she traded her immortal life...but just like that? I know she said it in FOTR...but how does it happen?

I wonder what their kids will look like...I mean, those cute elven ears... ;)

Specializing in elves...think they do Uni course on that, Jean? [face_mischief] We'd excell in it! [face_laugh]

Gimli...hmm, I didn't think dwarves were immortal, either.

Spoiler question:-

Faramir and Eowyn get together in the movie?

Don't spoil me too much though! ;)

20. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Ugh I typed this all out once and my browser crashed, here we go again :p

I am not sure exactly how she changes I just know a little on it. Basically Elrond's side of the family part of them are mortal. So Elrond and his brother Elros I think his name is. They could choose to be either Elf or Man, obviously Erlond choose Elf.

But his brother choose man, he from what I understand I could be wrong becomes the king of men somehow and that's Aragorn's family. Aragorn is the heir of Elros many generations down the line as Aragorn is the 30th decendant of Isuildor. I can't remember if it states it in the movie but Arwen tells Aragorn "We are kin from afar which is what she is reffering to".

I have tried finding a simple family tree but there isn't one. But basically that's it simple terms, Aragorn is related to Elrond's brother.

Also because of that is the reason why Aragorn ages alot slower than normal men because in LOTR he is quite old lol.

Boy did he make this book complicated :p

lol kids with little pointy ears....they would be cute actually ;)

lol I think both me and you would pass that course with flying colours....especially me looking at my posts. Who needs to read the Silmarillion. At this rate just ask me :p

Nah I don't think Drawfs are I just think they live for a long time.

Spoiler: Yes they do but you don't really see it. All you see of it in the cinema version is them at the end smiling at each other. Anyone who hasn't read the book would think she got over Aragorn pretty quickly lol. In the book it explains it more so I am hoping in the EE DVD they go into that a little more

21. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Fair enough Jean...I will bombard you with questions...heheheh! [face_devil]

What would they call the elf course? Hmm... Elfology is too general...how about... Legoistics? Like Logistics? Lousy pun?

It's the fact that it's nearly 4am...I am thinking silly! Hahaha...and to top that I had coffee and mum's Christmas cake. ;)

I see...they are related...in the long run. I always wondered about the Kings of men...actually I thought Boromir himself was a mix. In that, he had pointy ears...but maybe that's just Sean Bean. [face_laugh]

Aragorn's lineage is a looooooog one, no? Wow...elf blood. :cool: Maybe the bit about Arwen telling Aragorn that is in the EE version? Must check when I get it. :D

;) @ pointy eared kiddies. Cute mental picture no? :D

Aragorn not aging...Tolkien really kept things simple, didn't he? 8-}

Spoiler part:-

Hmm, well...must look out for that.

As for EE versions...I hope so too...apparently the EE of ROTK will be really long...what a treat for us girls! :cool:

22. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol well I like talking LOTR so I am happy :D

lol I can't think of anything better, hmm history of Elves....language course could be old languages: Sindarin :p

Oh dear you're a gonna for the night. Funny thing I have been tired all day until now :(

I am not too sure on how some of it came about just my understanding from what I have read of the books :D

lol I think that was just Sean Bean :p

I can't remember it may not be in the movie at all, my mind sometimes if missing good lines puts it in anyway :p

hmm imagine Legolas's children [face_love] ;)

Aragorn does age just slower than most men. After becomming king he lives for another 120 years which obviously is not very normal for a man ;)

hmm the EE version is going to be LONG thank god for switching discs....ie toilet breaks :p

23. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Yay, I get open invitation to bomabard away. :D 8-}

My terrible puns...I'm usually a night person...must be coz I'm tired. ;) Or, maybe my puns are nuts...like my moments.

lol I think that was just Sean Bean

Jean, the man is sneezing as we speak! [face_laugh]

hmm imagine Legolas's children
    Depends on their mother... [face_mischief] [face_devil]

But overall...very pretty kids...Lego as a daddy...listen to me getting carried away! [face_laugh] It's the coffee... [face_laugh]

Hip hip, hurray for toilet breaks...there I go again! 8-}

Wait a minute...I took my silly cue from you. ;)

24. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Depends on their mother..

Hmm well he can have more than one wife, just not at once ;)

lol yeah yeah I am the bad girl here I know that :p

Anyway we are getting a little side tracked off LOTR and onto toilet breaks and Legolas....not that there anything wrong with the latter ;)

25. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Well, this is a FF thread...so getting side tracked is okay, Jean! ;)

We could have a movie discussion club here too...but I wonder if it would be as active as at Kent FF.

Let's see how it goes.

Legolas having more than one wife. ;) Heheheh! 8-}

EDIT:-

MY EE: of FOTR and TTT arrived this afternoon...just minutes ago! I'm so excited, I can't believe it....

*runs around screaming really loudly*

Sorry Jean...should have warned you about ear plugs. 8-} I'm screaming in lots of threads right now! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.