main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General ~*The Lord of the Rings Discussion thread*~ (FOTR, TTT and ROTK-spoilers blacked out please)

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    **Runs for cover from the Dark Ladies out for my blood after my elf comments** ;)

I quite agree pash, you ladies seem to get the better deal with these LotR films, especially considering I can't stand Liv Tyler :p
    Why can't Kiera Knightley have been Arwen? :( ;)
    That way I could post some pictures of her to compete with yours [face_devil]

'As for Ranger boy...yep, pretty funky for 87. Funny...hmm, how come? Was it the term?'

Yes pash, I found your way with words very funny, more so because I can well imagine you saying it to him in person if you were to ever meet in real life [face_laugh] [face_mischief]
    I'm not very well versed with creative writting courses in the UK, but as Xan said, higher eductaion in the UK is getting very expensive for everyone and more so for foreign students sadly.

2. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    *keeps firm grip on her lightsaber* 8-}

Well, now...you don't like Liv Tyler? [face_shocked] My goodness...she is such a beautiful girl...and sweet. As Arwen she has this real etheriel looka and quality. :cool:

Kiera as an elf? ;) heh, why am I not surprised you suggested that. Let's see...

Here's a sample:-

Aragorn:- (seriously) His blood runs through my veins...

(Kiera's)Arwen:- Oh bollux! [face_laugh]

And that line was a la Bend it like Beckham. She's a fiesty girl...but perhaps not Arwen material.

Or what about Kiera trying to speak elvish? [face_devil] It will be like:-

"Raar, why in the name of Middle Earth can't they let me speak faster...if I speak any slower, the wind will change and my face will stay like this!"

Oh bummer...why can't I be in that Pirate movie with Orli? Arwen only gets the ranger. I want that cutie pie elf!"

Hahahaha...sorry...had a creative streak there! 8-}
    Thought it might be good for a laugh!?! Whatcha say, Matt?

Don't get me wrong...I think Kiera is really cool...but hmm...not as Arwen.

*braces herself for the defense of Kiera from Matt*

LOL! ;) You know I may actaully say that whole ranger boy line if I met him. You guaged me quite well...it's one of my things. At least when I know people a bit. 8-}

I might even add the not bad for 87 bit too! [face_mischief]

Oh and whenever we disagree, I vote we all go :- "But we all hate Celeborn!" [face_laugh]

3. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

May I ask Pash, what have you been drinking today? :p

4. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    **Taps J on the back and hints we should slowly and quietly head towards the exit**

Only joking, actually pash could you send me some of your Sri Lankan tea please? ;)

Sorry to disappoint you pash, but I'm just not a Liv Tyler kinda guy. I can see that she is pretty and the role of an elf suits her well, but she just isn't my type and I can't help but think of her dad when I see her :p

I loved your alternative Keira dialogue for Arwen [face_laugh]
    I also agree that she isn't quite elf material but I feel it's my duty to bring Keira into the discussion for some reason ;)
    And on the bright side I'll get to see her as Guinevere later this year which in the long run maybe better :D

If I ever meet Viggo I'll pass on your message to him [face_mischief]
    I'm sure he'll appreciate it, lol.

As for PotC, they are making a sequel you know pash......so who knows, you may still be in with a chance ;)

5. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    LOL ... I see you don't think much of Keira as an Elf, Blainey. :p

6. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I have to admit I can't imagine her as Arwen, maybe another elf....one you don't see :p

7. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    May I ask Pash, what have you been drinking today?

Erm...water? 8-} And since I have tea without any sugar, you'll have to assume that I'm naturally like this. Wow, a natural nut! 8-}

**Taps J on the back and hints we should slowly and quietly head towards the exit**

Oooh, saw that Matt! [face_devil]

Gosh our tea must be exported all over the place Matt...you may find some over in the UK. [face_mischief] Heheh, sorry to disappoint you...it's just me. I'm the Dark Lady of mad moments and lousy puns. Whooo! Go me! 8-}

The alternative dialogue...I was at work and I dunno...it just flew out of my head! [face_laugh]

Fair enough...all ppl don't always agree and that's also good with regard to this. Now look at me and Jean...and Xan...we both like elf boy. Xan, looks like we'll have to take numbers girlfriend...there are tonnes of us in the waiting line. :( 8-}

[face_mischief] @ passing that message on to Viggo.
    But since you know I like Orli... erm..."don't tell the elf...okay?" 8-}

As for Orli... [face_devil] him I can deal with, myself...heheheh. [face_devil]

Kiera in Guinevere...seriously...we can have a general movie club here too...that way we can talk about stuff in general. Ofcourse if we call it the Kiera thread, y'know what Jean and I will do! ;)

But that will be an interesting movie. I have never seen Arthur stories in that fashion...hmm...

Oooh, I heard of the PoTC sequel...see you get to see the fiesty Kiera Knightly...and us girls...well, Orli and Jonny...pretty good deal, I say. ;)

LOL, Xan...yep...she's great in other roles...but somehow she doesn't strike me as elfin. :confused: She would have made a great Eowyn though. :cool: Hey...Matt...that's an idea...really...as Eowyn she may have had a plum role. But Miranda Otto does a great job. :D

Well, looks like I provided some MTV style spoof entertainment today. :D Oh Xan...saw the Gollum acceptance speech...hahahhahahahahaha! And the alternate version of the Council of Elrond. Eugh! Our Elf boy looked disturbed...I'd image so too...what with the scary elf in their midst! [face_laugh]

Actually...my work schedule just went nuts today...trying to sort it out. If I am trying to do my regular stress relief, you can probably expect more parodies! ;)

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol please do, I need the cheering up at the moment.

9. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    I see a PM. ;) Mine will come your way in a few minutes.

Actually, what can I do to cheer you up...hmm, what will bring a smile to master's face? Oh...blast! That sounds so much like Gollum! [face_laugh]

Hahahaha! [face_laugh]

10. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    my preciousssssssssssss ;)

Yeah I am causing trouble where ever I go!

11. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_mischief]

Hmm, me thinks a pic of Gollum won't sort out the problem...let's see... [face_devil]

*goes hunting* ;)

Edit:-

Oh here's a funny one:-

Celeborn has a fan listing! [face_shocked] [face_shocked]

[face_laugh]

12. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    hmm.....Legolas? [face_mischief] :D

13. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    You kidding me?

He probably has so many fanlistings it'll take a elve's lifetime to count 'em all...plus the Orli sites! ;)

Hmm, this should cheer you up a bit.

NEWSFLASH:-

Karl Uban is acting in Riddick, the sequel to Pitch Plack which starred Vin Diesel.

He's also acting in the sequel to The Bourne Identity. It's rumoured to be called The Bourne Supremacy.

Don't ask...I just report the facts! 8-}

*hugs for Jean* [face_love]

Sweet dreams my master. :D

14. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    aww ...you know I love you appy [face_love]

**hugs**

Take care Pash :D

15. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Incidentally, of all the LOTR main actors, Orli's career is the only one that's really taken off. :D

16. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Always, to please my master...gollum again...scary! [face_laugh]

Xan, your right...the others are doing stuff. But none as big as Orli!

Go elf boy! :D He's so pretty, I guess no one can resist him. ;)

Viggo is acting in this new western...I saw a trailer for it on one of the VCDs at my video club. Looks nice...about this guy who races his horse across the desert in some cross country thingy...

Hmm, lot's of sand. 8-}

And yes Matt, if I met Viggo, I'd tell him that too! [face_laugh]

I loved the last gag in the trailer...he said something really funny to his horse. ;)

17. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol especially us hey Pash? ;)

18. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Yes, lucky little elf boy getting to kiss Keira aswell as getting to play all mannor of heroic charaters......no I'm not jealous :( ;)

Just out of interest, if you could award only one actor with a best performance in the LotR films award, who would it be?? (and Orli is excluded unless you can justify his choice without saying because he's so pretty :p )

I think I'd give it to Sean Astin actually, but Viggo, Ian McKellen and Sean Bean would come a close second.

[face_laugh] I really hope you get to meet Viggo one day pash, I have a feeling he would like you.

19. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    lol especially us hey Pash?

Yep, we'er the elf sharing club, remember? Oh, can't I have the elf at Christmas time? 8-}

I guess, when he's the man of the moment all those opportunities fall into his lap, Matt. ;) Kiera being one of them. It's amazing though. She was only 18 or 19 when they made PoTC, whereas Orli was...what 25? Or was it 26? :confused:

Best performance is so hard...Orli is lovely...phew, got that out of the way. 8-} He's also perfectly cast. Imagine, he had origianlly auditioned for the part of Faramir! [face_shocked]

But this is what I love about Peter Jackson and the casting team for LOTR. They picked people who were perfect for their roles.

In Fellowship, the hobbits were hilarious-esp Pippin and Merry (Billy and Dom did a brilliant job) and Sean Astin's Sam was such a lovable guy too.

The elves were so graceful and so strong in character...look at stalwart, Elrond. Hugo Weaving excelled in his performance.

Ian MacKellan...what can you say? He has the wisdom of the ages etched on that face...and as Gandalf...what a brilliant piece of casting.
    I love the combination of Aragon's worldy wise nature and his softness. He's a
    man
    no doubt about it...and in there, somewhere is the next King in the line of Isuedur but he shies away from it...such complex characters.

And the Sean Bean...Boromir is such a complex guy too. He's strong and a great asset but he's weak too with regard to the fact that he easily succumbs to the temptatiopn of the ring. :(

While watching the EE:TTT I couldn't help but stare in awe at the entire cast there too. Eomer, the banished nephew who wants to serve his King (and uncle) and he's punished because he' a threat.
    Wormtongue, in all his slimyness is a great evil character...Eowyn, she's a woman yet she wants to be like the guys, going to war. And her feeligns for Aragorn, how she put up all with the King's strange behaviour all that time... :(

And King Theoden...gosh the list is endless. I also felt so bad for Faramir. He loved Boromir so much but their father always made him feel like he was a lesser man...never as good as Boromir. :_|

I can't believe I left our the etherial elves Arwen and Galadriel...yep, they speak slowly, but you can feel that difference when they are on screen..it's amazing. [face_shocked]

Gosh, as you can see...I'm having a hard time choosing. [face_laugh]

Heheh, Viggo...might be fun... ;) But then...what about the others? [face_mischief] Esp, Orli. [face_devil]

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    So Orli's an old man really :p
    I think she was 17 when she made PotC, because she's still only 18 :eek:
    I couldn't believe it when I found that out, I was convinced she was older then me but I'm 4 years her senior, lol.

Gosh pash, sorry I proposed a tough question [face_laugh]
    It is a really difficult choice to make though which shows just how high the standard of acting is which is a very good thing really.
    And I totally agree, the casting is spot on. I think Jackson said in one of the documentaries that another film-maker said half the film is made with the casting, basically meaning if you have good casting you're well on the way to making a good film, and I certianly agree with that when it comes to these films. Because the books are so rich in detail and illustrations from them have existed for many years, we all have strong ideas of how the characters should be and look like. I think that can be a blessing for the casting director but also a real burden with some characters.

I'm also pleased they went for a mixture of unknowns and well established actors. They all blended in brilliantly and I think everyone, even the extras, worked their socks off.

I didn't really like TTT when I saw it last year (as many here know ;) ), but for me the extra Faramir and Boromir scenes really added to the film. They also filmed all that in one day apparantly, which is a fantastic job :D

I have something to say which will make you really jealous pash ;)
    My Uncle had breakfast with all the hobbits in October last year. They were doing a convention here in the UK and he was a dealer so got to stay in the same hotel as them and everything. If they go to the next one, I may have to ask him for the hotels address, lol.

21. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Yeah ... I think that's a tough choice too. They're all very good. :D

Well, Orli aside (happy? :p) I think I'd say Viggo. He pulls off Aragorn perfectly, and I bet it wasn't an easy character to act. Besides, from the documentaries and everything, he really poured his heart into it.

I'd say to the point of obsession ... but he was just doing his job really really well, so I guess not. :p

22. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I have to agree with you xan I would say Viggo also.

I would also actually say Andy Serkis as well .... no I haven't lost it :p

23. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Jean, your mention of Andy Serkis reminded me of the MTV acceptance speech! [face_laugh] But it was a great character-digital, yet so real. :cool:

Viggo really immersed himself in the role, didn't he? There's the silent strength in the character of Aragorn that is truly wonderful. :)

Matt...argh, some ppl have all the luck. I'd love to talk to the goofy hobbits Merry and Pippin, played by Dom and Billy. They are a riot, aren't they? [face_laugh] Xan, those extras always make me chuckle!

[face_laugh]

Matt, so true...get the casting right and you're onto a real winner. Infact, that's what TIME magazine said too...the casting was brilliant.

Okay, comic relief for all of you, coz I have been far too serious in this post... 8-}

Celeborn still drives me nuts! [face_laugh] 8-}

24. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I count 4 [face_laugh] smileys, 5 including the one in your sig ... that's not a serious post. :p

25. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    LOL, Xan...imagine me when I act silly? 8-}

Hmm, actually, I use a lot of smileys to reflect my mood...and I like those cute faces. [face_love]

I guess I meant I had been discussing a lot. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.