main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The MacGuffin in Ep. IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Regular Mustache, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    It seems the macguffin will be from 3-cpo's memmories, and will be related to Anakin and the jedi order.

thejediscavenger likes this.
  2. thejediscavenger

thejediscavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 13, 2019
    Either we're back to the whole chosen one thing or Anakin knew something and tried to hide the truth.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    It's the chosen prophecy, and his legacy. Both his grandson and his chosen warrior will be connected somehow to it. Maybe Anakin as the chosen one bestowed her with a similar destiny, to bring balance once again.

4. thejediscavenger

Feb 13, 2019
    I still think Rey is the Kenobi of the ST. Just not an actual Kenobi. Her and Kylo will have a duel of fate that will not end without closure like it did for Obi-Wan and Anakin. That was the mistake Obi-Wan made. He left Anakin alive unaware of Palpatine's plans. Kylo has no Palpatine any longer, so what happens with him and Rey can't be manipulated.

Wildcatbarry and Mila Lazarus like this.
  5. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    How do we know it's related to C-3PO's memories? Do we have a source?

There are some interesting connections, if it is:

1) Luke's wink in TLJ may now carry even more weight as he sort of subtly reveals C-3PO is special without him knowing.

2) Luke's repeated line of "everything you have just said not being true..." could have more significance to Kylo if C-3PO starts to recall Anakin's childhood and descent into evil to him. It's a lesson in being manipulated and that Ben is wrong for believing Snoke and turning into Kylo, just like Anakin was wrong for being manipulated by Palpatine and turning into Vader.

3) Aswell as this lesson, another part of the learning for Kylo is that power can be scary for others (even Luke) and it's about how you humbly wield power (like Yoda) that is important, not merely having it (like an Empire).

4) C-3PO himself doesn't know the full story prior to ANH and has had a memory wipe. No-one does except R2 (who seems to not tell anyone) but C-3PO (who can communicate what R2 knows), Yoda and Obi-Wan (who are both dead to Kylo). So C-3PO might be the instrument of narration of R2's memories.

5) It might explain Anthony Daniels' weird tweets about transmissions.

6) It connects the story of all 9 films as a lesson for us all/ties all films together.

7) He can communicate in over 6 million languages so maybe he tells this story as a public service announcement too. :) Maybe ge tells Kylo's story to the galaxy too.

Anyway, it's fun to speculate...

6. thejediscavenger

Feb 13, 2019
    MSW mentioned it.

DannyD likes this.
  7. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    If Kylo still talking to Vader’s mask then my bet is the macguffin has something to do with Anakin. He probably leaves behind some artifact or information unknown needed to overcome the bad guys. I believe that before the Emperor’s death he set some plan in motion and Vader did something to counteract this. I think the macguffin will call to Rey like the lightsaber and it might be a key of some sort to a secret location. Whatever or whoever is in this location could save the resistance but if Kylo gets it he will destroy everything.

DarthSprinkles and Wildcatbarry like this.
  8. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Maybe the MacGuffin is Threepio's right eye. It's the eye that Anakin realizes he needs to switch on in TPM, and it's the same eye that Salacious Crumb plucked out in ROTJ. In TLJ, Luke winks with his right eye.
    Even Salacious knew it was worth something. Maybe it's the Journal of the Whills.
    Kylo: That eye.... it belongs to me!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Possibly or something happened in those 30 years and he had his mind wiped again. (enter luke flashback that was rumored)

Thats abit outlandish for Anakins abilities. even as a force ghost.

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Why does every single rumor or hint almost always lead immediately to “it must be about Anakin!” The huge sea creature on Ahch-to...Anakin!

Maybe it is. But personally, I think it’s some other crucial bit of plot information that’s primarily a means of getting that characters to visit familiar places from the past films.

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think the MacGuffin is the circle on 3PO’s belly. It’s where his robot umbilical cord attached him to Snoke who was both Palatine and Plagueis, the top half was Plagueis and the bottom half was Palatine. Three-PO was attached to both back in the day.

DannyD and Siphonophore like this.
  12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think it has something to do with Snoke.

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Did Anthony Daniels give anything away to say he'd filmed with AD? I can't remember anything...

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Or maybe...from 3-PO’s mammaries.

Droid-milking confirmed.

Siphonophore likes this.
  15. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Gold milk confirmed?

Maybe the circle on 3PO's belly houses another droid brain.... Dr. Threeopolis.

16. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Shmi Skywalker and Qui-Gon's midis did the Humpty which yielded yet "another" Skywalker.

Or like Shmi and Lars and Owen and Beru were all Palpatine's minions? C3P0 is Empire spy.

CP30 has hidden Jedi knowledge, which Kylo wants, but turns out, it's only vlogs of Anakin's late night doubts about becoming Sith. These vlogs are reminiscent of Kylo's "Lamentations of Supreme Leader K" series where he whinges about Rey imposing celibacy on him.

I have to admit, that a big MacGuffin at this point seems like a bad sign. What it says to me is the POSSIBILITY of no story. And so they need a gimmick to add some threat or exposition.

Whatever it is, I hope it works. But it sounds like a Mike Zeroh idea. Maybe that's a good thing.

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    I had this theory (long before MZ even came out with his) that Luke might have inadvertently teleported himself to Tatooine, and that he's running around bare $@!%. And he tries to make secret contact with Rey, but the FO intercepts the message. What could be more controversial than that?

jimtalkbox likes this.
  18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Or better yet he teleported to his uncle's homestead.

19. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    A quick summary of leaks (copy and pasted from Ender_and_Bean) that could be related:

- The McGuffin is something or someone and seems to evolve with the first clue leading to another and another until the big reveal. A reveal that some believe will be controversial in the fandom and others think is delightful and fun.

- MSW also heard that things get interesting when a new threat from the Beyond makes Kylo Ren vulnerable and drives much of the interactions between Rey and Kylo Ren.

- It is believed that Rey gets the edge on the McGuffin discovery first.

- It is now believed that C3PO’s memories of the past play a role in the McGuffin.

ADDITIONAL INFO WORTH CONSIDERING:

- The Beyond is thought to be the Sith equivalent of the Force ghost realm according to the EU.

- C3PO is translating and reading aspects of the ancient Jedi texts to Rey in the EU. Does something he discovers there trigger a memory?

- Matt Smith is rumored by variety to have a significant role but when asked about it he has instead asked back if he’s even in the movie to reporters. Is this another Khan style trick on the audience? Nobody seems to know who he would be if he is in the movie? Could he be entirely CG’d on a closed set? A voice actor for a presence entirely CG’d without motion capture?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  20. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Perhaps the result from the chase for the McGuffin pretty much names the threat from beyond as Sideous? A sith aspect could easily affect both Kylo and Rey and give them a reason to interact in a significant way. It also could pull FG Luke into an interaction with either or both. Much possible with this...

21. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Maybe it's a chosen bloodline instead of a single chosen being?

22. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Perhaps the McGuffin has been right under our noses all this time. Isn't the working title of this movie "Black Diamond?" Could Snoke's ring be of significance?

23. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Hmmm. Have you heard Matt Smith speak slowly? He does sound a little Palpatine-esque... Although you probably would get Ian McDiarmid back for that.

I was going to suggest he plays young/"good" Palpatine as a Force ghost - just in the same way Anakin comes back as young/good Anakin in ROTJ.

Then I came to my senses, realised that sounded stupid, and is a direct result of not hearing any decent rumours for ages...

C-3PO translating Jedi texts and leading everyone on a wild chase somehow sounds more believable as the MacGuffin changing, leading from A to B, etc. Can the First Order still track ships in hyperspace?

24. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    one thing to note is the beyond is most likely the unknown regions not a Sith realm but theres still a possible it could be a Sith realm . Battu is on the edge of known space , the first order rose from the unknown regions . Jakku is near the unknown regions so the observatory / sheev's ties to jakku can still play a part in the macguffin . I still think 3po's memories might have something to do with his time with the lars family and shmi before anakin kills the sand people.

he does a good slow voice palpatine like voice as the Cyber-Planner

DannyD and KSennia like this.
  25. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Smith is still my favorite doctor. His years were the best years. I am going to be so disappointed when he ends up voicing a droid with one line.

DannyD likes this.