main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The MacGuffin in Ep. IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Regular Mustache, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

[​IMG]

Got #1 Domestic but not Worldwide so I'm seeing the return of Jar Jar as the Macguffin .......

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I like your way of thinking.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  4. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think it is the infamous Tomb! The tomb of Darth Plagueis. [face_skull] Plagueis was buried, holding a Sith Holocron, containing the secret to creating life. Kylo Ren is seeking this artifact to create a Sith Army. The Resistance wants to find, and destroy it, before Kylo claims it. Yes, The Tomb finally appears in the ST. You heard it hear first. [face_dancing] :p

Jo Lucas and Siphonophore like this.
  5. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    Maybe it's that necklace that Ani made for Padme

Jo Lucas likes this.
  6. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Something went horribly wrong.

7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

No, everything under control

Jo Lucas and 2Cleva like this.
  8. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
  9. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The books.

Jo Lucas and Wildcatbarry like this.
  10. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    Word is out there that the mcguffin will be more controversial than anything else seen up until now.

Rey having a child from The Force itself would be up on the list, don't you think?

Why don't we think of some other outrageous plot points that could reignite the fire Johnson started with TLJ? Could be fun.

11. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    [​IMG]

Something to do with the Mortis gods (maybe the Dagger ?) or The Prime Jedi

12. King_Kenobi62

King_Kenobi62 Jedi Master

May 7, 2014
    From some of the rumors with this and the KOR I wonder if they’re borrowing from the KOTOR games with the KOR returning from beyond similar to Revan so maybe instead of a SKB 2 we get a Star Forge type scenario? Anything but another super weapon that is even bigger and destroys even more planets would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. JustASimplePorg

Feb 6, 2019
    What if the Prime Jedi is some kind of living planet like Zonama Sekot, and it happens to have some uber powerful weapon at its core?

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  14. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    The MacGuffin might be a Sith holocron from Anakin explaining how to defeat whatever the threat will be. I think the MacGuffin most likely will be connected to Anakin. If not Anakin maybe Kylo’s child or mother carrying unborn child. The Knights turning on Kylo will probably have something to do with destroying this MacGuffin for a more powerful new enemy or following up on whatever Snokes back up plans were. Hux will probably help the Knights betray Kylo.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  15. JustASimplePorg

Feb 6, 2019
    What about time travel? I remember reading a theory that went something along the lines that Rey traveled back through time and ended up in Tatooine as a slave for a selfish Toydarian called Watto.

That would be a twist!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Jo Lucas likes this.
  16. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    So there was rumor made by MSW dude (Ward or something like that) that sources reported the MacGuffin in Ep9 was highly-controversial (even by TLJ standards).

Jo Lucas likes this.
  17. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    An idea that hit me a few days ago, that could also tie a lot of stuff together....(which is not to say I believe this, just an idea for consideration...)

The MacGuffin is Luke's hand. We know it was originally part of the story of TFA, which was also written/directed by JJ. TFA mentioned the story of Maz's ownership of the saber was a story for another time.

Mix this with the hints dropped in the Aftermath trilogy of some kind of secret Imperial Lab on Jakku. If I remember correctly, it seemed more like a place of Force research, with Palpatine personally checking up on it. Rey is found on Jakku, along with Lor San Tekka and the Millenium Falcon, in a major set of coincidences.

Maz Kanata's castle cannot be far from Jakku, they go to her because the FO can track the Falcon; it reasons that if it was a long trip, they could just have recaptured them along that flight path.

What if the experiments going on at the Imperial Research station on Jakku are related to cloning or genetic manipulation of force sensitives? Luke's hand was captured on Bespin by the Emperor (same as in the EU), and a set of clones were created from it. Maybe all the work here creates ripples in the force, creating a 'nexus' around here that 'arranges' for the right set of circumstances. (Kind of like the Queen of Naboo needing to repair their ship just coincidentally landing on the planet Anakin Skywalker is on....) Something goes horribly wrong, an accident or clone uprising, and the research station is destroyed. A female experiment (possibly still a baby) escapes somehow, maybe scavenged from the wreckage. The scavengers sell off the lightsaber they find which doesn't have to trade hands many times to end up at Tokadonna.

Also part of the experiments was Palpatine manipulating midichlorians to strengthen himself, using these clones and experiments to 'harvest' them. It's revealed to be why he was so much stronger than most other force users. Now, someone from the KoR has figured this out and is trying to find the hand and the research data

Ties in all of the weird stuff from Aftermath that now seems Red Herring-ish; causes both Rey Random and Rey Skywalker to be the same thing; creates a highly powerful new villain (or hero); ties in the Prequel trilogy to the OT to the ST. Hell, throw in some Vader DNA experimentation as well to stuff Vader into yet another movie.

18. Ody_Mandrell

Ody_Mandrell Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 28, 2003
    MSW Podcast by Jason Ward:

- Really the main thing Jason has been told about the MacGuffin is that it's controversial. One person who is balanced and hands off fandom did say that it was delightful, but the repeated word has been controversial, from people who get the fandom more. When Jason said that this was pretty usual for fandom, they said that many of the things in TLJ did not strike them as controversial. This, however, does.

19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Where are you getting that from? I think Making Star wars is the only site around that has the inside word on the MacGuffin and they reported that it might be "somewhat controversial".

20. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Rey and Kylo's hand touching created a force child somewhere in the universe that somehow is the key to everything or something. This continues the Skywalker bloodline without forcing a romantic version of Reylo, is definitely very controversial (but would be delightful to some, sure), and ties the trilogies together by centering this new child or chosen one or whatever who has the potential to go good or bad.

Not sure if I like it or not, but I think this is def controversial even by TLJ standards, so.

21. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Let's see, controversial things for SW fandom. Everything: check.

Joking aside, we should define controversial for SW fandom. First, which part of fandom is being referred to? I assume it's the fandom who disliked many things in TLJ. The fandom that sees a specific world that Lucas created and doesn't want Disney altering it for general audiences.

So "controversial" in this sense might mean...

1. Time travel: any plot where the characters somehow try to fix/change the past would be unpalatable. Viewing the past is one thing; changing another.

2. Darkside spirits not merely existing (they do exist in SW: see TCW/Nightsisters), but having immense power. Like Palpatine secretly being behind everything. Powerful spirits have existed in Legends, I believe, but Lucas limited them from his own canon (although I think TCW did make possession canon).

3. Resurrection: of Palpatine, Luke, whoever. Via cloning or the Force.

4. Spirit wars: I know some fans have wanted this, but Lucas himself chose ultimately not to go this way. And I hope we don't. Use of spirits in general should be low. The story is about the living heroes.

5. Superweapons: they've long been a big part of the Legends EU, but in general the fandom is sick of them. I can imagine JJ having the good guys and bad guys racing to take command of a "lost Death Star that could change the balance of power."

6. Any magical weapon or substance that functions like a Death Star.

22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    7. Something that seems to be inconsistent with the perceived internal logic of the fiction. In TLJ some would say it was Leia using the Force even though to our knowledge she never trained to be a Jedi or Yoda interacting with the physical world.

I'm expecting something like that, i.e. fans basically saying, "that's not how the Force works!!!"

23. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Your idea could also tie in with The Mandalorian. Maybe Willrow hood was force-sensitive, or at least he can foresee the future (foresee-sensitive), and that is why he was running through Cloud City with his ice cream maker. He knew Luke would lose his hand, and he needed to rescue the hand and put it in a safe place. The ugnaught who helps Willrow find the hand is the same ugnaught played by Nick Nolte and the small woman. The baby that The Mandalorian rescues is a clone of Luke. Clone Luke then helps save the day in IX.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  24. JustASimplePorg

Feb 6, 2019
    Precisely from MSW ;o)

Points 1, 3 and 5 are the only ones that could be controversial.

As for point 7, Leia using the force and Yoda interacting with the physical world can't hardly be considered controversial. Controversial would have been Han appearing at the last minute to save the resistance.

You know what I mean.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  25. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Or if the Luke we see on Ahch-To isn't the real one but a clone?