main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The MacGuffin in Ep. IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Regular Mustache, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think AD he is teasing the official announcement and explanation of the B&W trilogy about the old republic time

And the controversial stuff in IX is meant to be cheap fanservice

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Reylo would be controversial.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  3. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I was serious about the time travel. Maybe not a hot tub though.

[​IMG]

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Not to sound like a broken record but they said the MacGuffin could be "somewhat controversial." Having the hero of the trilogy shack up with the dude that killed Han Solo and tried to kill Finn would be very controversial.

Something somewhat controversial would probably more along the lines of Luke interacting with the physical world briefly or the Falcon blowing up, or Kylo being redeemed and living.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  5. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Would Mace Windu be a controversial MacGuffin?

6. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    I am thinking controversial in that a supposed divided fan base will see it that way no matter what is done with certain concepts. Think back to posters on here saying they would be angry to see Luke come back IN FLESH because this is not his story any longer and that tramps down the new characters. Then you have a group that is already thinking boycott because Luke died in TLJ and they are so dissatisfied. Reylo and retcons of various types would also be examples. What is controversy to some may be opportunity to others and might even be "delightful" depending on the POV.

7. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    We have seen Rey and C3PO together in that comic. Any two-minute conversation with him and with R2D2 would lead her to the prequels, and that means Anakin and Shmi. In any case, it also means Tatooine. And before Tatooine there was Palpatine, it seems.

Theres something vital placed in those droids, or in a particular place 'tied' to them, vital for the survival of the rebellion, and also vital for the bad guys? In TFA, the macguffin was a 30yo map placed in an object that was placed in a droid leading to a 30yo (ANH-TFA Luke) legendary man placed on an island.

C3PO memory was wiped, but not R2D2's. And maybe a moment of weakness on Vader's part was also crucial!

According to the AOTC novelisation Shmi completed C3PO before her marriage. 'To Shmi, C3PO remained a reminder of her son'. The son remembered too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of the post. I had to hurt somebody after reading those insane tweets from Daniels. Eye cancer is probably on the way.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They're looking for the lost clone unit. They were cryogenically frozen on Kamino and Rey awakens them in the second act.

Clone Trooper: "Well it's about time you woke us up! Where's Commander Skywalker? Nevermind just point me in the direction of those clankers!"

Rey: "Um..."

:p

9. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I like my idea. [face_party]

GregMcP likes this.
  10. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm betting it's Constable Zuvio.

moxlox and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Sith Cult doesn't die as easily as we think.
    They disappeared for a thousand years, supposedly.

If just killing the Master and Apprentice was all that is needed, then they would have been gone long ago.

Someone will take up the title. It may need some magical Infinity Stone to get it done. So Rey better stop that from being found.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Right, I see what you're saying. My take on Reylo is that he will survive and continue the bloodline anyway, because to me, Reylo only works if he lives.

As far as the somewhat controversial mcguffin goes, it might be that Leia is said to be alive and well, but the truth is she had passed some time before, reducing the chances that any others would join their cause. Maybe the First Order hears rumors that she might be dead and seek to expose that, thus hoping whatever alliances that the newly established Resistance group strive to form will not happen without a strong leader like Leia.

13. thejediscavenger

thejediscavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 13, 2019
    The original Macguffin was R2-D2. He was the driving force of the plot, but was of little significance other than to motive the characters.

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No, he would still be a Jedi Master

15. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Rey is Anakin's midichlorian conceived twin sister, also created by the Force, but on Jakku not Tatooine, itself a Force induced twin planet hence their similarities. The prophecy of the balance of the Force is actually Anakin (evil) balanced by Rey (good). Rey and Kylo discover this when they get to the Macguffin at the end of the film.

I had considered Rey was held in cryogenic clone storage (by Palpatine) since Anakin's birth in the Empire research facility on Jakku people have mentioned. But actually this is unnecessary - she could just be conceived by the Force decades later, the time difference doesn't necessarily matter for her to be a Force twin.

16. King_Kenobi62

King_Kenobi62 Jedi Master

May 7, 2014
    What if the controversial but delightful(?) thing from the beyond is our “other Skywalker” of the ST like Leia was in the OT? It would mirror a little too as the OT started with a Skywalker and then added another with a different last name and the ST started with one with a different last name and ended with a Skywalker. It would be controversial but also delightful as we would have a living person with the last name Skywalker in this trilogy. Maybe an Owen Skywalker? I always thought look in the new canon would name a potential son after the man who raised him after the whole Ben Solo reveal. Could be Matt Smith as a KOR or someone else. Preferably someone good or who would be end up good. Luke not mentioning it could be explained away as he might not have known what happened because of the temple attack, cutting himself off from the Force, or maybe he just simply didn’t want to discuss it, losing a child one way or another, and that could also be a major motivation for his exile. Good or bad it would be a surprise that I don’t think anyone or most would see coming at this point and would add some much needed Skywalker to the Skywalker Saga in my opinion, and this is coming from someone who is a big fan of Ben Solo/Kylo Ren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  17. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    MSW said that the MacGuffin was more "controversial" than "delightful" (apparently only a non-fan claimed it was deligthful). Seeing how people here hopelessly try to find a scenario that would make Rey Skywalker credible, I don't think that a new Skywalker would be controversial; and of course, it would be deligthful for most fans.

18. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    An ancient Sith Tomb I suppose could be controversial. But for me I wouldn't be surprised. The same could be said about a Holocron, whether Sith or Jedi. So my guess at controversy would have to fall at a character.

But again this is just me spit balling here, because I honestly have no clue.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  19. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    It would create debate and disagreement for months on here, so the fandom could be described in that scenario to be controversial, whilst people who are are little more dispationate - the GA - would be more "aww that's nice"

I've no real clue or opinion on the matter, but I see how it might fit the bill of that described.

20. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    sith artifacts or some powerful weapon (save another explicit Death star/starkiller) don't fit the description. A lot of stretching going on in this thread. Controversial to me means that it's clearly connected to something in the story we're already familiar with. It's not going to require some ridiculous amount of exposition.

21. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Important motivating element/person that sets actions in motion
    TFA: Map to Luke / Luke (map is a means to this end)
    RO: Galen Erso (briefly Jyn's motivation) / Death Star Plans
    TLJ: Hyperspace Tracker (briefly) / ???
    SOLO: Coaxium AKA Hyperfuel / Qi'ra (briefly Han's motivation)

Jo Lucas likes this.
  22. Voidgazer

Voidgazer Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 5, 2015
    The way I see it, "Reylo" would contradict one of TLJ's major themes: Bloodline doesn't define who you are. Connecting Rey to the Skywalker bloodline would undermine the idea that her importance isn't linked to the Skywalker family.

23. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    This is probably not what is going to happen, but I like to think it'll:

Have the McGuffin be a ancient sith holocron. Have the (new) villain hide it somewhere in the Galaxy. Whoever "opens" this holocron gain total control over the Force, becoming a "Force God". Kylo knows where it is. Rey knows how to activate it. Kylo wants it for himself, Rey has to destroy it.
    So it's like a the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Character A knows a detail, character B knows the other detail.

Not going to happen though

DarthSprinkles likes this.
  24. thejediscavenger

thejediscavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 13, 2019
    IX has already been compared to Sergio Leone's work.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Far too much of a hokey Avengers-type plot.

dlbates likes this.