main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The MacGuffin in Ep. IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Regular Mustache, Feb 10, 2019.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The MacGuffin is the video footage of Kylo killing Snoke.

Both sides are trying to get it.

Kylo knows if it's shown publicly, he's screwed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    oncafar, DannyD, Darth Nave and 3 others like this.
  2. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018

TMZ already has it, just a matter of the price now me thinks

3. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    See my last post I had fun with in the new rumors thread about the Prime Jedi lol.....I have a bad feeling about this.

4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I rather enjoyed that one. :)

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
  6. thejediscavenger

thejediscavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 13, 2019
    I just had a thought. Something controversial to fans, but not to others. What if the chosen one is not Anakin? What if it's Ben Solo?

Jo Lucas and Cave of Erised like this.
  7. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    To me that sounds like a physical "thing" to counter the new threat in IX. The interesting part is that you likely have Rey/Good Guys needing the macguffin to defeat the FO and Kylo, but why would Kylo need the same physical "thing" to counter his new enemy from the beyond?

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Or Rey?

We've seen Kylo Ren struggle with making a complete turn to the Dark Side. If the Knights of Ren found out he was still struggling, is that a weakness they would want to depose him for. Does Kylo want the MacGuffin to protect himself from a threat? Does he need to find the MacGuffin to prove his power and sure up his control?

9. thejediscavenger

Feb 13, 2019
    I don't think Rey would be considered controversial though. People want her to be someone. If the villain is the chosen one, that would be pretty controversial imo. It would depend on how the fans view Rey and if this would please them or not I guess. I know many already expected her to be chosen.

10. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    I can only speak for myself here, but neither Rey or Kylo at this point would be controversial enough to me. There could be a case made for either one of them to be the Chosen One.

I'm starting to get the sense that Kylo/Ben was not privy to all of Snoke's intentions and that the KOR and possibly this new threat from the beyond is something that takes him by surprise? Add that to the high possibility that Hux figures out he actually killed Snoke and not Rey, then you have Kylo basically all on his own with nobody to turn to. So I think the Big Mac will turn out to be a somebody that perhaps Luke and Ben encountered while training to be a Jedi.

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Maybe it's the sacred Jedi texts. We know that Trevorrow asked Johnson to do at least one thing to help set up IX, and maybe it was the quick shot of Rey closing the drawer with the books in them so the audience knows they weren't burned up in Yoda's Force ghost troll lighting. Obviously she has them, but maybe the First Order is aggressively pursuing something, the Resistance doesn't know what, Rey eventually/somehow finds out, and flees to Jakku/Tatooine with the books where the final confrontation is held. Perhaps there's something in them that's important, if not to this film specifically, then... to something we'll see, either in B&W's series or RJ's trilogy?

12. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    https://makingstarwars.net/2019/02/...we-have-some-clarification-on-various-rumors/

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah that article is definitely an interesting read. So now my guess (for whatever it is worth?) is that the MacGuffin is another Myth type of thing, similar to what Luke was to many in TFA.

14. thejediscavenger

Feb 13, 2019
    Sounds similar to how Rian explained about The Last Jedi changing as the story progresses.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It’s hard for me to wrap my mind around what any of this means but at the very least it sounds like the opening crawl won’t say something like, “both the Resistance and the First Order are racing to find X in hopes of achieving victory.”

16. thejediscavenger

Feb 13, 2019
    Using my theory as an example, I said that what if Rey is being hunted because she has the saber of the chosen one and this only happens after the KOR return. What if Rey learns the chosen one is Ben. What if others learn it is Ben. What if the hunt changes and everyone goes after Ben. That would change what it is, but no the purpose of the hunt for it. That would be the MacGuffin evolving. It would become more complex because the saber is what everyone is after, but the person meant for it changed and made things more complicated.

It'll be something more simple probably, but I'm just trying to give the best example I can.

Basically something everyone wants, but the reason itself is not controversial, and what it becomes as the story grows is something more complicated or unexpected.

RetropME likes this.
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The Macguffin will have something related to Smith's character and what the KOR did in the beyond.

18. thejediscavenger

Feb 13, 2019
    That's another good example. We're looking at the Maltese Falcon of SW. I used Anakin's saber as an example, but that's even better!

19. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    That's what I'm thinking as well. It also solves a couple of potential "problems" -- namely, introducing a major new character/villain we've never even heard of in the trilogy's final episode and explaining where the heck the KOR were during TFA and TLJ. But if it's connected to the KOR and whatever they were doing while they were away, that would tie everything together.

20. thejediscavenger

Feb 13, 2019
    This is a very excellent point! Also a lot of people expect Kylo to be the main villain, but since that wouldn't lead to him and Rey joining again, there has to be a reason they reunite, and something far worse than the FO threatening everything would make things really interesting and explain the missing KOR.

ComfortablyNunb likes this.
  21. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    The MacGuffin sounds like a boring plot device. The ST lacks a story and they need a cheap reason to redeem Kylo, so here comes a deus ex machina from the "unknown."

Now, on the one hand, I hate this because it's not likely to work well. In principle, however, I don't mind cheap plot devices in Space Opera; it's part of the charm.

I'm wary here though because it's no replacement for a good story, and a good story is what we're lacking -- specifically, I mean by good story one that develops the characters well in a way that makes sense and creates authentic emotional beats.

Instead, we're likely (possibly) to be given this less appealing, yet possibly cheesy fun option.

I want to enjoy E9 so much I may just accept my leftovers like they're fine dining.

22. thejediscavenger

Feb 13, 2019
    That's because Kylo is not a villain. He's an anithero:

"An antihero or antiheroine is a main character in a story who lacks conventional heroic qualities and attributes such as idealism, courage and morality. Although antiheroes may sometimes perform actions that are morally correct, it is not always for the right reasons, often acting primarily out of self-interest or in ways that defy conventional ethical codes."

"He is someone who doesn't think of himself as evil, but thinks of himself as right," - Adam Driver

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's going to be a briefcase that Kylo and Hux must deliver. It contains Snoke's soul.

24. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Snoke had a soul?!

thejediscavenger likes this.
  25. thejediscavenger

Feb 13, 2019
    I'm thinking Jenova's head from Final Fantasy VII now.