main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The MacGuffin in Ep. IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Regular Mustache, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Maybe they're decided to make him an anti-hero -- although I think his actions speak more of a villain -- but Lawrence Kasdan and JJ thought of Kylo's arc as that of someone becoming a villain.

2. thejediscavenger

thejediscavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 13, 2019
    True. A rising villain but not Vader yet. They left wiggle room and since IX will be how JJ saw the trilogy wrapping up, whatever he writes will be what he likely planned from the start. Kylo's story was written and completed long ago the way Adam spoke about it, and JJ and Rian worked closely on both movies, comparing notes. They know what his fate will be, but Rian said it was not his choice to decide if Kylo will get his comeuppance or not.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    McDonald’s will offer it on their breakfast menu.

Oops! You beat me to it.

And you.

Man. I’m really late to the party.

Wow! There are a lot of interesting theories here I never had considered. Somewhat controversial with nothing in TLJ being controversial. And delightful. I’m stymied.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  4. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    A carbonite-frozen Mace Windu. One can dream...

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All it is is a rock

6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I posted this elsewhere but
    if they’re bringing the War Hammer scenes with Leia out so that she’s in IX and so that Rey’s scenes with her have the same hair as that time period, then the McGuffin could be edited to be the War Hammer itself.

Something as simple as this could work.

1) The FO mentions that they’ve learned of a super weapon that inspired the space ram maneuver that destroyed the Supremacy that the Resistance has been building on a secret planet that must be found and destroyed.

3) Poe tells Finn and Rey they have to travel to ______ and ensure the weapon process is sped up. General’s orders.

4) They arrive and meet Dominic Monaghan’s character and other Resistance fighters who are hiding underground where this weapon is being built.

5) They’re told it’s still months from completion but Poe is adamant that it be launched in space even if it’s not ready. A scientist notes that if it’s used prematurely it may not work as initially planned and that whomever is on the ship may go down with it. Poe reminds that scientist of Holdo’s sacrifice as further evidence of his increased admiration of her. The scientists tell them they’ll try.

6) Kylo Ren Simmons the Knights to determine the location of the War Hammer. They gain intel on the location from a supplier on another planet who swears he was only told to deliver materials to a separate planet that isn’t the final planet but shows them getting closer.

7) Lando overhears the interrogation of this merchant and escapes with his daughter and updates the Resistance that that the FO are getting closer.

8) Rey trains with Force ghost Luke while on the planet.

9) The War Hammer is barely ready for launch. They update Leia who tells them she and others will soon be there.

10) They use repurposed Leia footage from TFA for War Hammer that shows her touring it and eventually she commands it.

11) Knights of Ren determine the location and alert Kylo Ren. Key aspects of the FO jump to the planet for battle as War Hammer is launched.

12) War Hammer smashes though their fleet.

I could see something like this driving some of the plot lines initially.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Darth Nave likes this.
  7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Something to do with The First Orders new super weapon & how to stop it - not like a new Star Killer base but something different like this :

[​IMG]

The World Devastator from Dark Empire..............

8. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I'm not sure about some of the details you propose but repurposing the Warhammer footage seems probable (if only because it's recently-shot footage).

The MacGuffin could be the Warhammer itself, and I wonder if Leia will use it Admiral Holdo style.

This could be controversial (plot-wise, repetition-wise, and for Leia's character to use a weapon of mass destruction) and delightful (using real footage of Carrie). Quite how this theory holds up to the MacGuffin changing over time I have no idea.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Actually, no joke I think this might sort of be the answer. Snoke was a clone holding Palpatine's soul, Matt Smith's character will be the new clone, and the macguffin will be the secret information or weapon that's needed to kill him for good. Kylo and the rebels will be in a race to find it first.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  11. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    No, there is a clone body waiting for you. And we haven't found the MacGuffin yet.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  12. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think the macguffin is the war hammer as well.

13. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    TFA had the Sledgehammer. Lucas talked about having to make the choice between right and wrong as being more fundamental in this trilogy than previous trilogies. So I guess in VII Leia had to choose between whether to use the Sledgehammer against SKB or not. Maybe it or something like it will be in IX. That would be controversial. But delightful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If it’s a weapon of some kind, how does the "evolving throughout the film" come into play?

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A weapon isn't a McGuffin.
    It's a weapon.

16. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Ugh. Warhammer. In Arndt’s script and maybe even Kas
    Ugh. I meant Warhammer. Does the actual phenomenon evolve or is it the plot device that evolves?

17. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    And you can't use the name Warhammer in Star Wars for obvious legal reasons.

18. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I’m a little slow today as I drank too much last night and feel like I’m being attacked with a Sledgehammer. What are the obvious legal reasons?

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  20. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    These rather Sith Army-like dudes
    [​IMG]

21. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I’ll make it legal.

Or, we could rename the Warhammer, say, the McGuffin?

GregMcP likes this.
  22. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    A massive hammer of ship smashing into a planet at Lightspeed, called the McGuffin?

Okay.
    I'll go with that.

23. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I wonder if Luke's compass from TLJ resurfaces in IX to play a role in this film's MacGuffin?

24. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Jedi Master Mcguffin. He survived order 66 and pilots the Sledgehammer which was created by the Star Forge. They find its location on a map found in Palpatines laboratory on Jakku. The only way for Master Mcguffin to start the Sledgehammer is with Revan's kyber crystal shard which is on the necklace hanging in Luke's Hutt on Ach To.

25. Dolamar

Dolamar Jedi Padawan

Feb 9, 2019
    Maybe it’s the World Between Worlds.