main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Matt “Godsend” Carpenter!

2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    aaaand broken open. Perfect opportunity for Chapman to close after his reactivation yesterday.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I guess this would be a safe margin for him to come in.

4. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    lol first batter faced a walk for Chapman the Reliever

edit: make that 2

...3 straight. Yeah. Goodbye Chappy. Enjoy the bench.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah, we missed you, Chapman. [face_sick]

His contract is up this year, right?

The problem is that Cleveland is actually due to hit the ball this inning.

6. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    the Marinara man is the fall guy for Chapman's flop. 2 runs scored, but considering the bases were loaded with no outs, that's a very acceptable outcome.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Position player pitching alert.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    courtesy of Mustache Power. That's a certified donger

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I can't find that anywhere possible, especially with the Mets' new philosophy of in it to win it with a near limitless budget. And if, hypothetically speaking, deGrom opts out of his contract to test the FA, Atlanta would know that they'd certainly not be the only team gunning for him. It would be a hell of a bidding war; the question is whether or not the Braves would be willing to go toe to toe with some of the top tier market teams in the bigs like the the Dodgers and Yankees of the world.

11. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Seems like irresponsible reporting to me. There is only one source for this claim (Buster Olney of ESPN) and even he used very vague and unconvincing language. "There is a perception in some corners" lol okay. Its almost as if somebody reminded him about DeGrom's comments, went to DeGrom's wiki page and saw that it says he grew up a Braves fan. Maybe "some corners" is wikipedia.
    And this is all presuming DeGrom does go on to test the market when if he stays put he could be already safely be part of a world series contending team. The Mets R gud.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I actually heard it came from this guy.

13. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Yankees win both games of the double header and the Red Sox are again losing to the Cubbies. It's a good night.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  14. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    @anakinfansince1983 I mean it's a nice thought but at this point he's being as Injured as Strasburg...

Yanksfan likes this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
  16. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    1. Braves and Cardinals face off starting Monday. Teams in the hunt will gladly use this to gain up on whoever loses as both are wild card teams. Braves are 2.5 over with first spot, Cards hold the 3rd

2. In the AL, the East literally has 4 of its 5 teams in position to take all the wild card spots. And the Guardians are the only ones close at 1.5 back, all others are 4 or more
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's been pretty predictable; there's just too many good teams in the AL East. Each of the top four teams could win upwards of 90 games; and that would likely not be enough when it's all said and done to win the division.

18. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I never would have expected the Angels to be 14.5 games behind the Astros early in the season. I thought for sure they would have been postseason contenders.

19. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Well the Yankees got shut out to end the series. I don't understand why Boone had both Judge and Lemahieu start on the bench to close this series, and they ended up participating anyway. Our two best hitters not participating from the start.

The kicker is The Yankees have tomorrow off and the next series is against the Pirates.

Clearly credit for our success is more to the team than the manager.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Me, after the Guardians narrowly avoid being swept at home by the Yankees

[​IMG]

21. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Yeah, re: DeGrom. I admit when he's healthy he's the best pitcher in the game. Hands down. Obviously. But the dude is NEVER healthy. Like, I'm not even sure I'd even want the Yankees in talks with him. Rather put that money toward extending Judge. We got some good pitchers in the pipeline like Schmidt and Sears to fill any upcoming gaps on our rotation. They're not DeGrom, but they look like solid arms. Would probably pitch more games, too.

22. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    This seems to have become a fairly common trope, but this is only the third time in 9 years that he won't pitch a full season. It's obviously not great for an aging pitcher, especially that two of those three seasons are the last two, but prior to last July, the only time he missed a significant stretch was the end of 2016 season.

Amazing.

23. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Again, he's the Mets' version of Strasburg

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The bottom line is that it's been three years since deGrom pitched anywhere close to over 100 innings. Whether it's the Mets or someone else, they'd be smart to write up an incentive-laden contract that focuses heavily on IP.

Yanksfan likes this.
  25. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    But that's just it. It's huge chunks of the last two seasons. And he's not getting any younger. Maybe he'll be fine from here on out. I'm not saying that's impossible. But would I want my team to bet several hundred million dollars on that? Personally, no. I'd rather they invest that elsewhere Again, we need to re-sign Judge--who incidentally also has an unfair "injury-prone" reputation. So I sympathize if DeGrom is being unfairly labeled. But since his *are* all recent history it feels much more concerning. (Especially for this Yankees fan, who still remembers the Carl Pavano fiasco).

He could indeed be healthy from here on out. But what was once a sure "throw all the money at him" situation suddenly feels more like a gamble. But a gamble with a HUGE upside. I'll give you that.