main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I'm not saying it's not a risk to sign him, and I certainly hope the rest of baseball decides it is too much of a risk clearing the path for Steve Cohen to throw money at him. I'm saying it's wrong to say he's always hurt.

And on that note, he pitched 1.2 innings in a rehab start, struck out 5 and hit 101 on the gun. And the fans booed the manager when he took him out.

Amazing.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    You see, this is the critical thing with deGrom. Is he going to rejoin the Mets and rely on throwing the 100+ mph through most of the game? I'd argue that that, more than any other thing that he does, is what gets him in injury trouble in the first place. He was just as dominant without that triple-digit fastball.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    *looks at the schedule* It’s July 4th, and the Yankees are off?

[​IMG] .

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Happy Fourth of July to Victor Caratini specifically.

5. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    The Yanks were off on Memorial Day as well. The scheduling gods were kind to them this year.

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  7. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    But why would you think it's a risk then? If it's not the injury concerns? He's certainly got talent and his skills aren't waning yet. Both of which I never denied. So what would give you pause about it? It's a genuine question.

8. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, that was something. Really thought that one was a home run. I went from “Guess the pen blew another one.” To “Wow everyone is out” in seconds.

9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    He's 34 years old. Even if he had zero injury history, it would be a risk to sign him. Add in that he has had some injuries (it's the "never healthy" argument I dispute) and it's a risk for anyone to sign him. Especially teams that can't afford that risk, which is why I think the Braves story is nonsense.

Amazing.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I need - need - a good shot of Tony Larussa making the confused / "Okay Grandpa" face after that triple play. A screencap from the angle in the video just isn't good enough.

Juliet316 and mnjedi like this.
  11. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Taillon seems to have peaked for this season. I would not trust him in the playoffs. The Astros already trounced him and now he's giving up multiple big hits to teams under .500. Very bad signs. Maybe Zach Britton will recover in time, but that would probably be short notice.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The bigger problem IMO is the hitting.

13. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Plenty of ballgame left to score runs. 4 is not many for this Yankees offense. But they shouldn't have to score comeback runs like this. As of now they have 7 hits already versus the Pirates 8. The difference is Taillon gave up earned runs where Quintana got the outs. This game is all about the pitching and the Pirates scoring so far

Speaking of pitching, Scherzer has 9 strikeouts and zero earned runs through 5 innings.

14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I, too, worry about the Yankees hitting. If they don't pick it up they may only win 115 games this year and if Boone isn't fired after that failure, well I just don't know.

Amazing.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    They can win 130 games and get humiliated in the playoffs. Right now how many wins in the regular season doesn't matter all that much to me (as long as it's more than any other team in the AL). Just win the Pennant and then come talk to me.

16. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
  17. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    wrong thread

18. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Scherzer struck out 11 batters through 7 innings letting up only 2 hits and providing zero earned runs. The Mets still lost. [face_dunno]

Both New York teams with duds up against should-win teams. No such poor effort playing the Royals from the Astros, who now have 53 wins and are possibly the closest to catching up to the Yankees since early in the season.

AutumnLight91 likes this.
  19. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Hey, puts us back 2.5 games again
    [​IMG]

20. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Back to back for Donaldson and Gallo. Not a sentence anyone expected to be uttered recently. Gallo's very nearly exited PNC Park. He's still a liability though. One home run does not cancel out a .162 batting average.

21. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Ha! Fun story. Banuelos is in to pitch for the Pirates. He was traded from the Yankees right before this series for cash considerations and brought up today because of another Pirates pitcher going on Covid IL.

ALLLLL RISE! Number 30 for Judge is a GRAND SLAM off his last-week teammate into the concessions at PNC Park. Thank you one last time Banuelos.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  22. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
  23. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Doesn't need any.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Gee what a shocker, the next pitch after David Cone goes on a montage about how Gerrit Cole is the greatest thing since sliced bread and he's "worth every penny" for the Yankees, he gives up a two run homer to Devers. Mute button, you're my greatest friend.