main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Making of a Rebel (J/J, Enemy Lines tie-in, vignettes) - Author replies 03/13/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TKeira_Lea, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Title: The Making of a Rebel
    Author: TKeira_Lea
    Timeframe: The Enemy Lines Duology
    Characters: Jagged Fel, Jaina Solo, Kyp Durron
    Genre: Missing scenes
    Keywords: minor AU
    Notes: Follows All Angles in my Force Evolution Series. Please check my bio for appropriate links.
    Summary: This collection of vignettes reflect Jag?s underutilized POV during the Borleias showdown.

Disclaimer: Lucasfilm owns all the rights to Star Wars. I don?t. No infringement is intended or profit to be made by me.

To [b][color=red]Force Evolution Series[/b][/color] fans, welcome back! To new readers, welcome!

This collection of vignettes takes place during [b]The Enemy Line Duology[/b] by Aaron Allston. They follow [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10930020&page=1]Dreams of the Future[/link], which takes place during [u]DarkTide:Ruin[/u], and [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11190392&replies=374]All Angles[/link], which takes place in [u]Dark Journey[/u]. These vignette collections parallel the storyline of the EU novels, but present a different [b]angle[/b].

Please note that this is a slight AU in that Jag's siblings vary from canon.

I will be updating this series on alternating Fridays. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am having writing it.

[hr]

[b]THE MAKING OF A REBEL[/b]

[b]Prologue[/b]

[i]Maybe this wasn?t a good idea after all.[/i]

Jagged Fel was beginning to think years of good judgment had flown out the viewport and left him a blundering fool. He hadn?t truly considered the implications of this decision. Now doubt riddled every breath he took. His insides were tied in knots. His head pounded like a thousand glaciers were calving inside.

Only one part of him felt quiet and sure. His heart.

[i]There?s a reason you haven?t told Shawnkyr yet. She will tell you it?s career suicide to counter a directive, and she?ll be right.[/i]

His eyes shot quickly to the open portal leading out of the grandiose reception area where he was seated. That portal was a long way off. Worse, it was past a string of Hapans wanting the same thing, an audience with the new Queen Mother. As he pondered his options, he felt every set of eyes in the room follow his gaze.

[i]Go![/i] they seemed to say in unison. The Hapans had been uniformly if silently outraged when Jag had been given preferential treatment and brought to the head of line. If he wanted to run, they apparently were all for it.

[i]Shawnkyr may have forgiven you for the fight yesterday, but that doesn?t mean she?ll understand this.[/i]

Jag stood abruptly, focused solely on the exit.

His heart cried out, [i]Jaina! You promised[/i], and for a moment he was rooted again.

[i]Go on![/i] the room?s inhabitants said with nothing more than their stares. [i] Don?t make your best friend mad.[/i]

Jag ran a palm down his face, trying in vain to wipe away the flush of indecision. [i]Who are you deceiving? It?s not Shawnkyr you?re worried about. It?s ?[/i]

?Colonel Fel.? A man dressed in the customary uniform of the Royal Hapan Guard emerged from the Queen Mother?s chambers. ?She will see you now.?

Casting a last glance across the salon, Jag realized his fate was sealed. He had used his service to the Queen Mother as a banked favor to get to this audience. Now he had passed the point of no return. Snapping his heels together, he tipped his head to the others in the room, then to the guard to indicate he was ready to follow. With a rigid stride and self-confident carriage he marched into the chambers.

The guard strode across the expansive floor and snapped to attention before Tenel Ka, who was seated at a throne in the room?s center. ?Colonel Jagged Fel to see Your Majesty.?

The young Queen Mother dipped her head and waved off the guard. She waited silently until they could no longer hear the clapping of booted heels that marked the guard?s retreat.

?Jag,? she said with a smile. ?This is most unexpected.?

He bowed politely. ?You guessed I wo

2. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    First reply? [face_thinking]

Woohoo! [face_dancing]

Back in a bit with more. ;)

3. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Stakes place in line...

EDIT: Yay, another happy story :) "Fel hell" -- Nice one, Briaun.

4. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    OMG TKL! that was awesome!

5. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    [face_laugh] Syal's reaction was priceless. Great post!

6. jags_gurl

jags_gurl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    ?Once you leave here, make your departure with all due haste. In asking for privacy from the guards, I?ve indicated you as a prime candidate for my consort. My rival suitors waiting outside will be eager to eliminate the competition.?

Jag blinked.

She leaned in, flashing a rare toothy grin. ?You should depart before the holomags get wind, and our affair is splashed on every cover.?
    [face_laugh] OH THE PLOT BUNNIES! I love it? TKL, this is gonna bug me all weekend?.I think I?m going to write it now?

Of course she was joking, but Jag was still shocked. Tenel Ka had always been so?grim. Ahhh but so had you, my dearest Jaggie ;)

Static morphed to a raven-haired, green-eyed girl. Jag?s sister wasn?t even paying attention to the screen. ?Fel hell, at your service.?

?Briaun Fel, what would our parents say ??
    ROTF, Fel hell! [face_laugh]

?Who?s scruffy??

?You are,? she exclaimed, pointing at the screen. ?You look like one of those unkempt Rebels Father is always ranting about.?

Suddenly, the full import of a comm from the other side of the galaxy struck his sister. ?Oh my stars. Mom is going to freak. Mom!?
    I love Briaun so much, she?s such a fantastic character of yours!!

Syal smiled. ?That?s a pretty name. There?s something familiar about it??

Jag said nothing.

Slowly the truth dawned across his mother?s face. ?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter.?
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]!!!!!!! Ending the first one with a bang, Commander!

Awww I loved it so much!!! Superfantastic vig (as if I expected anything different) and I?m itching for more :)

I wish I could give a more thorough review, but I have to wrap up a western heritage paper....dangit... but thanks for the much needed distraction!

~Squishy

7. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Oh man!!! Not again :( :_| If you keep up posting at this hour I won't be able to get first reply for more then century :(

About post later ;) ( When I get back from School :mad: )

Ok back from school so I can finally reply :D

When you are finished, type Iego-Lexu-Ossus-Victory-Endor-Jabiim and 'enter'.

Ok so it's I-L-O-V-E-J like some people already stated and all go "Aww!!!" but I think it's just a coincidence. It's not like you change this code every day so it must have been in use for some time now.

"Once you leave here, make your departure with all due haste. In asking for privacy from the guards, I've indicated you as a prime candidate for my consort. My rival suitors waiting outside will be eager to eliminate the competition."

Jag blinked.

She leaned in, flashing a rare toothy grin. "You should depart before the holomags get wind, and our affair is splashed on every cover."

[face_laugh] That's a funny idea I must admit :D See I told you that media can be useful in the story ;)

Static morphed to a raven-haired, green-eyed girl. Jag's sister wasn't even paying attention to the screen. "Fel hell, at your service."

"Briaun Fel, what would our parents say... "

* laughs hysterically * Just the idea of Soontir hearing this is priceless [face_laugh]

"Will you write me?"

The heat of a blush threatened to redden his cheeks. He had always been remiss at sending letters home. Reports he never missed, but his family often took a backseat to his career ambitions. "I will."

I don't know why but I have a weird feeling that this has to do something with the old, but pretty cool, Love Letters thread we had :)

"At the very least tell me about the young woman who has stolen my son's heart."

She's good :cool:

Curse the stars, he had never been able to get anything past her. "There is someone I met... but we're just friends."

Sure you are ;) Just wait a little longer ;)

"Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter."

:eek: Full name used... Oh Jag now you're in some trouble :p But just for now ;) And nice change of Syal's mood :)

Ok I think I've replied to eveything I wanted :)

Great start :) It was a long wait but the reward is priceless =D=

8. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004
    OH...so not fair that the Beta got Firsties...

Something smells rotten!

Very excited that I saw Tenel Ka's name as I scrolled past to see how long this story is.

OK, I'm shaking with excitement that TKL has posted something new!!!!!!!!!

Woohoo!

Now I'm going to actually go read.

Pregoosey

Edit:1

and now that I've read the post:

type Iego-Lexu-Ossus-Victory-Endor-Jabiim and ?enter?
    I-l-o-v-e-J
    Ahhh
    How appropriate for both Tenel Ka and Jag. My heart is going pitter-patter
    Oh?wait?YOU KILLED TENEL KA
    Bastard
    Who?s been watching too much South Park?
    Good thing you invented FEEEEEEE

This isn't something I can discuss with the General
    Nicely crafted, he?s 'the general' at the office and 'dad' at home and Jag wanted to talk to ?dad? not 'the general?. No doubt to plead his case (for staying near Jaina) to a man that also did unorthodox things for love

Slowly the truth dawned across his mother?s face. ?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter.?
    *screaming laughing*
    This is all the more humorous because we all know that Syal ends up falling just as much in love with Jaina as Jag does...

Next post - Jag's first letter home
    There?s more?
    *does happy office chair dance*

"A good writer doesn't really answer questions;
    he just raises them." ~Troy Denning

what would he know about that?
    Sorry?still realllllllllly cranky about the Jacen/TenelKa arch in TUQ and don't even get me started on that kriffing nameless baby...
    I mean was it too much to ask that they name the kid? Or that we get to read a conversation between J&TK about said nameless baby?

*sigh*

9. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Kia! :eek: Vignettes, not frighteningly long epics! :eek: :D (That I swear I still plan to read, honest. [face_blush] ) Okay, vignettes I can handle. You can teach me all about the proper way to be a J/Jer. :p [:D]

Static morphed to a raven-haired, green-eyed girl. Jag?s sister wasn?t even paying attention to the screen. ?Fel hell, at your service.?

?Briaun Fel, what would our parents say ??

[face_laugh] I love it. :D I love the whole conversation with Syal. It's great to see family moments like these, that often don't figure prominently in the books. :cool: Wonderful job, not that I'd expect less of you. :p [:D]

10. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    Yes! It's here! My poor Jag-deprived brain can begin to recover!
    Heh, I haven't even read DN, and I still have Dark Nest Depression!:(

?Fel hell, at your service.?
    [face_laugh] Briuan!

"At the very least tell me about the young woman who has stolen my son?s heart.?
    He sucked in a breath. How could she know? ?I?I??
    His mother canted her head knowingly.
    Curse the stars, he had never been able to get anything past her. ?There is someone I met?but we?re just friends.?
    ?Friends is a good start. Does this
    friend have a name??
    Jag had been prepared to go toe to toe with his father over the mission. Nothing could have prepared him to face his mother?s inquisition about this. He swallowed, then forced out, ?Jaina.?
    Jag said nothing.

[face_laugh] :D [:D] Priceless! Utterly priceless!

Next post - Jag's first letter home.
    There is more? Excellent! I NEED more![face_devil]

~Misha

11. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    I-L-O-V-E-J

:oops: Didn't even notice that one. Bad reader.

12. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    *squeals in delight*

It's here! It's here! TMoaR is finally here!

[face_dancing] :D [face_dancing] :D [face_dancing]

Beautiful portryal of Jag's doubts, fears and indecision at the beginning! It was really nice to get to see a little bit more of the friendship between Jag and Tenel Ka that we saw in All Angles. As always, the family dynamics in the conversation with Jag, Briaun and Syal were just perfect!

?You?re afraid of getting involved.? Tenel Ka?s voice swept closer, but there were no sounds of footfalls to accompany it.

Meanings within meanings. Wisdom worthy of a queen. Jag managed a small smile. ?I do not fear getting involved. To fight for something is the noblest endeavor anyone can pursue.?

Nice double entendre. Even nicer that Jag caught it. Nicer still that he responded in kind. :D

Of course she was joking, but Jag was still shocked. Tenel Ka had always been so?grim.

Loved Tenel Ka's joke . . . and laughed out loud at how funny that thought was coming from Jag. [face_laugh]

He had wanted to tell his father. ?That?s not a good idea. This isn't something I can discuss with the General."

Nice way to slip in the distinction: at home, 'Tir is Father and at the office, he's the General.

?At the very least tell me about the young woman who has stolen my son?s heart.?

He sucked in a breath.
    How could she know?

[face_laugh] It's called mother's intuition, Jag - and don't ever doubt its power!

Great post, as always! :D

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ooooh, lovely viggie!! Looking forward to more!

14. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    YAY! This made my morning after a really crappy night last night! More response later!

15. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    First off, woohoo! It's started! [face_dancing] But I'm guessing there's no Jacen/Shawnkyr in any of these vigs, right? :_|

Tenel Ka made a joke? No way! :p But it's good to know she can, even with all the crap she's going through. Jag/Tenel Ka...now there's a 'ship to explore. [face_mischief]

[face_laugh] She's such a typical teenaged girl.

?You can?t avoid your duties simply by ignoring him.?

Oooh, mother's intuition.

?And make sure you tell me everything.?

And there it is again. [face_laugh] Great start, TKL!

16. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    *is feeling all warm and squishy inside about this post*

This is wonderful, TKL! A great continuation of All Angles...which I recently reread. I can't wait to see more of this (and Kyp is the third main character! :p I am so predictable.)

Anyways...

I loved Tenel Ka in this. I'm usually not such a big fan, but you wrote her so brilliantly, as she should be written. Kudos. And it was also a great look inside Jag's head.

She leaned in, flashing a rare toothy grin. ?You should depart before the holomags get wind, and our affair is splashed on every cover.?

Of course she was joking, but Jag was still shocked. Tenel Ka had always been so?grim. Despite her apparent good humor at Jag?s expense, a wistful gleam flashed in her smoky eyes. ?My old friend, Jacen, would have loved the look on your face. He would have found it funny.?
    How perfect! That makes me like Tenel Ka so much more--we always knew she had a sense of humor, no matter how well she hides it, but it's so rare you actually get to see it. Great touch.

She blinked several times and cocked her head, measuring him up. ?You look kind of scruffy to be my brother.?

?Who?s scruffy??

?You are,? she exclaimed, pointing at the screen. ?You look like one of those unkempt Rebels Father is always ranting about.?
    [face_laugh] Classic! [face_laugh] I can just hear Soontir ranting about those scruffy Rebels! :D

?At the very least tell me about the young woman who has stolen my son?s heart.?

Mothers always know, don't they? :)

Slowly the truth dawned across his mother?s face. ?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter.? [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That's hilarious!

I-l-o-v-e-J AW! :_| I never would have noticed that if preggers hadn't pointed it out! Wonderful detail!

What an all-around wonderful post (but then, what else did I expect?)! Great beginning!

Is it too soon to ask for more?

[EDIT] Oh, and I almost forgot to say how much I loved this extremely appropriate title!

17. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    awww darn, someone else caught the I-L-O-V-E-J connection...

grr..

but it was nice to see TK alive and well...

*sigh*

Awesome post, and great ending :) haha Han Solo's daughter you bet!

18. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Yes! story!
    (will reply more later.)

later:
    Jag calling Tenel Ka grim? Takes one to know one.

?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter.? [face_laugh]

Nice one, TKL.

19. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Yesss. I loved the other two viggie series you did, so I know that this one is gonna be awesome, too. And what a way to start it, too. But since everyone's commented on my favorite parts already, I'll just point this out:

Briaun is totally my little sister. Seriously. Blonde, heartbreaker, kindhearted, but with a major attitude. It's kind of scary.

20. Rebel-at-Heart

Rebel-at-Heart Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2005
    "Iego-Lexu-Ossus-Victory-Endor-Jabiim and ?enter?
    I-l-o-v-e-J"

Preggers, I'm glad you pointed that out, I probably would have never noticed. :oops:

?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter.?
    [face_laugh]

Great job TKL! Thanks.

21. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Time for my real reply. 8-}

Woohoo! [face_dancing] I?ve been looking forward to this. ;) Dreams of the Future and All Angles are two of my faves, and I know this one will be even better ? because we?ll really get to see the burgeoning romance [face_love] and the Corellian side of Jag. :D

Only one part of him felt quiet and sure. His heart.
    Oh, he?s got it bad. [face_hypnotized] There?s nothing quite as disconcerting as feeling certainty in your heart and trying to use it to silence the anxieties and rationalizations in the rest of you. [face_worried] But Jag?s Corellian, so I never doubted him. :p (Great parallels to the meant-to-be romances of H/L and A/P too.)

If he wanted to run, they apparently were all for it.
    Heehee! For some reason this really cracked me up. I guess because it really sums up the whole Machiavellian nature of Hapan politics so fittingly ? the way the Hapans almost seem to feed off Jag?s fear while they lie in wait for him to fail. Very Ta?a Chume of them. [face_devil]

His mother, most definitely. But she would understand better than most because this was a matter of the heart. His father?There was only one way to find out.
    Oh, poor Jag. Soontir may have that gruff and grim exterior, but he?s just as Corellian as Syal ? and he gave up everything for love too. [face_love] And something tells me Soontir couldn?t countenance being a hypocrite. ;)

?I see I?ve asked too much.?
    Too funny. :D Reminiscent of Han, jumping to the wrong conclusions of his fears. :cool:

?You may not thank me later.?
    Okay, this whole part with Tenel Ka and the suitors was hysterical, especially her deadpan delivery (very in character!). [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Poor Jag. Chiss politics may be devious, but it?s no preparation for this.

?Never mind,? Jag muttered.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Hilarious! Spot on sibling interaction. Poor Jag. [:D]

?That?s not a good idea. This isn't something I can discuss with the General.?
    ?I had every intention of telling Father myself.?

Aha! And now so begins. Jag reports in, but not as he?s supposed to. ;)

Not a chance, mom. [face_shame_on_you] The footrub in Ylesia is gonna stay nice and private. :eek: [face_mischief] 8-}

?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter.?
    Priceless! Simply priceless! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Can?t wait for the first set of letters. :D

22. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Typical reply here, nothing special. Move along ;)

In asking for privacy from the guards, I?ve indicated you as a prime candidate for my consort. My rival suitors waiting outside will be eager to eliminate the competition.

*has TJK flashbacks* Oh that's so wrong in so many ways. . . [face_shame_on_you]

Iego-Lexu-Ossus-Victory-Endor-Jabiim

Sneaky sneaky! [face_mischief] Take that Denning!! :mad:

[face_laugh]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

You guys wanted a Sidra pic so here you go, one big happy family:

[image=http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL431/779563/2346083/115041519.jpg]

Nobody said it had to be a good one :p Honestly, Sid was too enthralled with his buddy (and an ear scratch) to pay any attention to the camera. The new ones in the cantina are a bit better. The cat is Her Royal Highness, Princess Leia. Yes, she is a committee to be reckoned with!

23. Sola_Halcyon

Sola_Halcyon Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2004
    ?Enter your coordinates and communications variables here. Then push the green transmit button. When you are finished, type Iego-Lexu-Ossus-Victory-Endor-Jabiim and ?enter?. After that, your information will be permanently swiped.?

Yeah, I know everyone's mentioned this already. But there's just something so poignant about it--the fact that it's the code Tenel Ka uses to cover her tracks, a code that reflects the authority she has taken on because she thought the one she loved died, and she turned to her duty. And now she reminds herself of that whenever she types it. Lovely detail.

Jag's inner voice is so much fun to write because, with a few exceptions, it's almost entirely unexplored in canon. You've got to wonder what's really going on under the shipshape exterior, and you do a nice job with it.

Love Briaun. I'm trying to do the math backwards to figure out how old she must be at this point. Mid-teens? Fourteen? The touch of irreverence seems just right.

Still, he couldn?t resist taking in her sparkling blue eyes, already tearing, and her perfect holostar smile.

Aak! It's spreading! Am I crazy, or were Syal's eyes green or blue-green at some point in Echoes? [face_batting]

Great start. Can't wait for more.

-Sola

EDIT: Shinar, that pic above is just too funny! Sidra staring at him like that reminds me of how Eddie stares at Frasier. [face_laugh]

24. Aniakera

Aniakera Jedi Master star 1

Aug 20, 2005
    Excellent post!!!!

?Ah. To inform him of your decision to stay.? She turned, beckoning Jag to follow. ?Odd. I would have guessed your commanding officer. Telling him would be intimidating to say the least.?

When Jag didn?t follow, she paused to look back.

?My commanding officer is my father,? he admitted.

[face_laugh] I love that line!!!

type Iego-Lexu-Ossus-Victory-Endor-Jabiim and ?enter?.

I feel like such an idiot -- I saw a code coming and thought, be sure to look at what it spells. So I do, but of course I STILL MISSED IT!!! [face_laugh] I read it backwards and forwards, and still missed it! :oops:

?Once you leave here, make your departure with all due haste. In asking for privacy from the guards, I?ve indicated you as a prime candidate for my consort. My rival suitors waiting outside will be eager to eliminate the competition.?

Jag blinked.

[face_laugh] Great sequence! I love the idea of a completely dumbfounded Jag. :p

:eek: [face_laugh] Go Briaun!

?Mother.? Suddenly he was once more that awkward little boy she used to dote upon.

Yay! More dumbfounded Jag!

Jag said nothing.
    Slowly the truth dawned across his mother?s face. ?Oh, Jagged Fel, please tell me she's not Han Solo's daughter

She'll be waiting a while...

Shinar -- I [face_love] Sidra!! He's absolutely adorable!!! Awesome picture. :p

Aniakera

25. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    I will be updating this series on alternating Fridays.

Bad news: that's not for another 12 days

Good news: the next update is going to be an awesome birthday present for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.