main
side
curve

Beyond - Legends The Making of a Rebel (J/J, Enemy Lines tie-in, vignettes) - Author replies 03/13/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TKeira_Lea, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Good Morning!

Replies replies! [face_dancing] Remember this is on an every other week schedule so look for more to come next week. Until then, maybe check out [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/22016449/p1/]Loose Wires[/link], [link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/19927476/p1]Guardian in the Desert[/link], [link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/20330922/p1]Guardian in the Mountains[/link], or [link=http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/21895562/p1]Grandpa Wars[/link] ? all with new updates.

Wildcat: First reply! =D=

You know that I love getting inside Jag's head.

Just his head? [face_batting]

You know, I know Jag spent a lot of this time trying to be the dignified Chiss, forgetting that he is NOT a Chiss. This was an absolutely perfect way to show how human he actually is. That he loves his family and wants to be able to give his mother what she so desperately wants from him. It just goes to show the true nature of Jag's character.

And that?s exactly who he is, beyond the pomp and circumstance.

Sometimes, I think he understands her better than Jacen, even though he is her twin. Not because Jacen doesn't want to understand, but because the way his mind works is so fundamentally different from the way that Jaina and Jag's do.

Maybe not better, just differently. You?re right, Jag can understand the way she thinks, whereas Jacen sort of tracks in his own unique way.

Interesting how she lets him in on this confidence so quickly in the letter. It proves that despite the way that she was acting on Hapes, she really is starting to fall for him too!

Little hints ;)

Yes, those words back on Hapes I found to be exceptionally cruel even though I know that they were words spoken from fresh pain (and I think Jag knew that too). That's why I'm glad that she has apologized for them here, because even though Jag may have taken them for what they were (words spoken in extreme grief) it is much better that Jaina acknowledges that what she did was wrong. It's part of growing up.

It?s also part of her healing. Jaina?s dark side romp would require a lot of reflection and centering to reclaim her lighter self. Atoning for her sins would be a natural step in this process.

Mrs Durron: I love seeing Jag struggle with his words, and then finding the perfect ones to describe his feelings for Jaina.

I think Jag, while quiet in appearance, is a poet at heart. He?s better at expressing his feelings in the written word.

Like I said in the Cantina about the teaser: Jag's still very stoic Chiss/Imp, but you can see his Corellian heritage and Jaina's personality pulling at him...

It?s the Corellian heritage I really want to work on here.

It must have been hard for her humble herself that way, but I know she won't regret it later. I especially liked that her biggest regret was her comment about Jag's siblings' deaths; it was such a harsh thing to say, but understandable for someone in her position. Great little glimpse at her regrets and even her wishes for the future.

Again, as I noted to Wildcat, part of her healing

I really needed that today; thanks for making my day just a little better!

I can?t ask for more :D

Preggers: Thirdsies!

Are you a Hobbit?

Does anyone get that stupid joke? :p

stickster: ::melts:: (forgive the pun...)

Ah, but what a beautiful pun it was. [face_love]

This was so so lovely. I love Jaina's letter. And this whole thing just made me feel very warm and fuzzy and...

Warm fuzzies :D I remember those days of little fluffy pompoms with eyes.

Kima: What a sweet son Jag is!

He is :*

Now that is one of those lines that just shines.

It was one of my faves as I wrote it. But as you probably know there are certain sayings that capture our fave ladies perfectly. I think this was one of those.

Chimpo: Letters all the time... Jag was more scien

2. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    First 100 is gone!!!! [face_dancing]=D=[face_peace]@};-

[:D]

3. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Congrats on 100, TKL! [face_dancing] and confetti! (They really need to invent a confetti-throwing face for me.)

4. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Hmm...

So i went back to read the all Angles post and wonder if I ever read it in the first place.

scratches head.

:)
    Anyway that was good too

5. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I've been meaning to start reading these for a while and finally have the time. :)

Really enjoyed the first one. I especially enjoyed the TK/Jag interaction and it was nice to see you capture TK's dry humour. I also liked the cute little reference she made to Jacen - which in its own way spoke heaps.

?Once you leave here, make your departure with all due haste. In asking for privacy from the guards, I?ve indicated you as a prime candidate for my consort. My rival suitors waiting outside will be eager to eliminate the competition.?

Jag blinked.

She leaned in, flashing a rare toothy grin. ?You should depart before the holomags get wind, and our affair is splashed on every cover.?

LOL - oh boy, that WOULD put the cat among the pigeons, or is the vornskr among the ysalamiri.

I also giggled at Briaun's "Fel hell" response. It reminds me of how one of my kids used to answer the phone with: "Local madhouse here, you're speaking with Sigmund."

Really liked that image at the start of Jag with the glacier carving things up inside him - brrrrr, icy. ;) Very appropriate to his mood at that point.

Looking forward to catching up with the rest of the series. I'm afraid I tend to be a veeeeery slow reader - just ask Yoda and Thrawn and JD - but I DO get there eventually . . . in the fullness of time. ;)

6. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    GOOD MORNING!

Chimpo: First 100 is gone!!!!

A milestone to be sure :p

Mrs Durron: (They really need to invent a confetti-throwing face for me.)

Totally :D

jade51999: So i went back to read the all Angles post and wonder if I ever read it in the first place.
    scratches head.
    Anyway that was good too

Heehee! Lots of stories and lots of time past. Thanks :D

Tahi: I've been meaning to start reading these for a while and finally have the time.

Welcome :D

Really enjoyed the first one. I especially enjoyed the TK/Jag interaction and it was nice to see you capture TK's dry humour. I also liked the cute little reference she made to Jacen - which in its own way spoke heaps.

Thank you. TK is always a bit of enigma for me. I wonder if I get her just ?write.? It?s good to know when I do :)

LOL - oh boy, that WOULD put the cat among the pigeons, or is the vornskr among the ysalamiri.

[face_laugh] Great analogy!

I also giggled at Briaun's "Fel hell" response. It reminds me of how one of my kids used to answer the phone with: "Local madhouse here, you're speaking with Sigmund."

Oh my *wipes eyes* I did that once as a teen and got my ear boxed for it [face_blush]

Looking forward to catching up with the rest of the series. I'm afraid I tend to be a veeeeery slow reader - just ask Yoda and Thrawn and JD - but I DO get there eventually . . . in the fullness of time.

No worries. Glad to have you [:D]

Hope you all are sleepy in your Turkey Day induced stupor by Friday, but not too sleep to pass up the next post. See you guys Friday!

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Okay - I've read the second one. I'm on a roll. :D Loved the structure with the Jag-Syal communication which is then balanced by the Jaina-Jag one.

It is not even something I feel; it is more like a sun's gravity field on a planet. Every time I try to break orbit, she pulls me back. Not because she tries, just because she is a sun.
    Very nice metaphor. :) I like the way it implied that the attraction between the two is part of the natural order of things, just like gravity.

Jaina's "letter" captured her state during EL beautifully - both her yearning for normality and affection as well as the darker despair and nihilism she struggled with.

Unlike you, I didn't take a lot of notice of the J-J scenes in the books - being more an Anakin fan - so I'm enjoying these viggies a lot as they fill in the gaps for me.

Lucky you meeting the great Aaron in person. [Wayne's World voice]I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy[/WWvoice] I DO have an autographed copy of RD though thanks to my dear friend in New York. :)

Ah yes - kids do terrible terrible things. Mine at least are relatively harmless in their antics. My friend's son, who was a bit of a wag, had a call one day from somebody thinking they'd phoned the Crematorium. Wrong number obviously. The enterprising lad offered them his services and the use of their backyard incinerator! I never enquired about his punishment - methinks it was dire.

8. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Tahi: Loved the structure with the Jag-Syal communication which is then balanced by the Jaina-Jag one.

Thank you. It's a tricky task getting that.

I like the way it implied that the attraction between the two is part of the natural order of things, just like gravity.

Now if I can just convince the profic authors of that ;)

Jaina's "letter" captured her state during EL beautifully - both her yearning for normality and affection as well as the darker despair and nihilism she struggled with.

Ah yes and that was my favorite story arc. I loved her slowly emerging from the darkness, with everyone's prodding, Jag, Tahiri, Kyp and all the others.

Ah yes - kids do terrible terrible things. Mine at least are relatively harmless in their antics. My friend's son, who was a bit of a wag, had a call one day from somebody thinking they'd phoned the Crematorium. Wrong number obviously. The enterprising lad offered them his services and the use of their backyard incinerator! I never enquired about his punishment - methinks it was dire.

[face_laugh] Oh that is too funny! [face_laugh]

All my readers: I had a post ready then decided it needed something more. Usually I would have time but seeing as I am holiday and horse showing, time just flies by. I'll have an update up on Monday. Have a great weekend.

9. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    [:D] Tahi ! It's so good to see you my friend!

10. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    Has it been two fridays yet?

-Vicster

11. Morrigan_Sunrider

Morrigan_Sunrider Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2003
    yahoo....another story! :eek: Holy begeezes, it's been a long time. It sounds fabulous so far...of course, it always does.=D=

12. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    o yay today's monday!! I'm always here right on time!!

13. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Oh Goddess45, sorry to disappoint but the muse has suffered from the exhaustion of this past weekend. It was wonderful to compete in our big annual Charity Horse Show (and be Champion no less) but it takes a lot out of me. Then we ended up shipping the horse show set up straight over to the National Horse Show and setting up there on Sunday. (Sunday being the day I was supposed to write :( ) It's for the better though because I won't have to take time from work to do the set up and I can concentrate on my writing and riding in the evenings.

Add to that the muse keeps remolding this post, which for once isn't entirely clear in my mind. I'm going to try for Wednesday :)

Thanks for understanding. *triple cross for me this weekend too at the 122nd National Horse Show*

14. KnightJaina

KnightJaina Jedi Master star 1

Apr 24, 2004
    Well I finally caught up! I've spent the past few days reading through "All Angles" and at last made it here. Let me just let actions speak louder than words....

=D= =D= =D= =D=

Absolutely fantastic job TKL. Although I've generally leaned toward being more of a Jaina/Kyp type girl, this series of vignettes is beginning to sway me otherwise. Your writing is eloquent and beautiful, and the amount of depth you've instilled in Jag is incredible. So many like to describe him as being almost transparent - just a walking automaton filled with battle tactics - but you have poured so much more into his character and I love it!

So, on that note, I can't wait for more!!!
    --Jai

15. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    GOOD AFTERNOON!

Auntie: [face_chicken] Or as we Wraiths say :bawk:

It is nice to have Tahi here. [:D]

Vicster: Has it been two fridays yet?

Yeah...I'm an enginerd and therefore can't count. [face_plain]

Morrigan_Sunrider: yahoo....another story!

*jumps up and down* Such excitement!

Holy begeezes, it's been a long time.

It has!

It sounds fabulous so far

goddess45: o yay today's monday!! I'm always here right on time!!

I hope I am forgiven. [face_praying] Post is up later today.

KnightJaina: Welcome! :D

Well I finally caught up! I've spent the past few days reading through "All Angles" and at last made it here.

All Angles is the pride of my heart.

Absolutely fantastic job TKL.

Thank you.

Your writing is eloquent and beautiful, and the amount of depth you've instilled in Jag is incredible.

I'm glad you appreciate where I wanted to take his character. I think all those pieces are there in canon, but I just fleshed them out.

Glad to have you :)

So you heard me right. I'll be getting this post up tonight! [face_dancing]

16. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Day Two
    Borleias: 30th standard day of Republic liberation

[blockquote]My Dearest Mother,

It has been two days since I departed Hapes, since the blessing of seeing your eyes sparkle across the vast distance of space. Each day begins anew, another adventure and another letter to share. My hope is that your brother Wedge will be resourceful enough to afford me the opportunity to forward these compositions sometime soon. Before then I promise to enclose something for Father, Rane and Briaun as well.

I sit at a small desk ? well, calling it a desk is too generous. It?s not really a desk. More like a pair of crates with a slab of sheetcrete stretched across them. I am in my new quarters. I think it used to be a closet. I suspect it housed the fertilizer for the hothouse from the Imperial occupation, or at least it smells like it. Some day I hope to compare my remembrances with Father. Every step through these halls brings the question ?
    Did my father venture these same halls? Sit in these same rooms? I feel a part of history.

Some day I hope to spend a quiet evening with Father and compare our recollections of this verdant planet. I imagine his farmer?s heart would have loved it here, save the separation from the ones he loved most for duty?s sake.

Speaking of duty, I think I am beginning to understand why Father and your brother shared such divergent paths. Two of the best pilots the galaxy has ever known, yet they couldn?t be more different?
    [/blockquote]

Jag kicked his rudder, spiraling his clawcraft around to get a better view of the designated ?landing zone.? Amid the plush canopy of Borleias? jungle was a large flat area, freshly cleared, and scattered in a dizzying array were every make and model imaginable of spacecraft ? X-wings, Y-wings, Old Republic era gunships, a couple of SoruSuub solarboats, a YT-1300 and a familiar disc-shaped Hapan freighter. There was no order or reason to their arrangement; they were all just parked as they had fallen from the sky.

Just to be certain, he double-checked the coordinates. ?Vanguards, hold at fifteen-hundred and shift to diamond formation.?

His comm chirped on a private channel. Shawnkyr. ?Are you forgetting something, sir??

The altometer registered 1520 meters; Jag eased up on the stick to slow his descent. ?What would that be, Kyr?? He used her familiar name as a way to goad the next response.

?That these aren?t cadets at the Rata Nebula Academy.?

?I see. You think our Rebel scrubs aren?t up to the task?? He slowed at 1500 meters, and held his breath as the assorted fighters that made up Vanguard Squadron shifted into their new positions.

Apparently, Shawnkyr waited with bated breath as well. She said nothing. Jag smiled as Vanguard Ten slipped into the final slot in the formation. ?Not bad for a bunch of Rebels.?

?The formation switch was not my concern,? Shawnkyr replied.

It wasn?t his either. He had to fit twelve fighters, in formation, somewhere into the chaos of the landing zone below. Without a confirmed plan he continued to guide the squadron lower, his mind methodically searching for a solution.

The Chiss always had a plan before implementation; it was the surest way to success. Jag, though, was not Chiss, even if he pretended to be. He was human, and therefore unable to deny the simple thrill in defying reason, daring to brave the unknown, taking a chance. He refused to panic. His ability or skill or sheer luck ? whatever it was ? hadn?t failed him yet. An answer was bound to present itself ?

His mind clicked to a sudden awareness, like a computer finalizing a sequence decryption. All the variables fell into place, and the solution blossomed. ?Vanguards, follow rotation ?? he quickly cross-checked an overlay of the landing site with his positioning data ??and spread to one-point-two-five standard separation on my mark.?

?Five hundred meters,? Shawnkyr noted coolly on an open channel ? a reminder of their proximity to the ground, and more so imminent co

17. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    yoink!

EDIT: Lovely post as always, with the added bonus of yet another CSA blurb. ;)

18. Aniakera

Aniakera Jedi Master star 1

Aug 20, 2005
    Oohhh... I liked that chapter. :D

I am in my new quarters. I think it used to be a closet. I suspect it housed the fertilizer for the hothouse from the Imperial occupation, or at least it smells like it.

Poor Jag! Haha, they stuck the Imp in the poop closet. [face_laugh]

Some day I hope to spend a quiet evening with Father and compare our recollections of this verdant planet. I imagine his farmer?s heart would have loved it here, save the separation from the ones he loved most for duty?s sake.

=D= I love the imagery in this line. Great tie in of Tir's background.

He raced through the powerdown, pulling his helmet off between checks. With one hand he smoothed the indentations out of his cropped hair and tidied his flightsuit, wrinkled after too long in the cramped confines of the cockpit.

[face_love] Great imagery again...

?Then you must have the Imperial insignia tattooed on your skull,? Tycho noted dryly, turning down a narrow corridor.

From a former Rebel, Jag was inclined to get his back up at the comment. But something in his gut told him this was simply playful banter from one pilot who respected another, and not a slam on his Father?s honor. ?On my backside, actually.?

[face_laugh]

There was only Jag and Jaina; there was nowhere else he would have rather been. Just as quickly, though, she looked away, continuing on as if nothing had passed between them. Suddenly the room seemed too full, and Jag felt entirely out of his element.

:( Ouch! Poor Jag. [face_thinking] I wonder why Jaina isn't so happy to see him? Perhaps she's afraid of what he thought of her letter. She probably expected to have more time before having to face him again...

I volunteered to serve in Twin Suns, under Jaina?s command. A second-in-command, maybe less among the Rebel fleet. But even now, as I sit and recall the moment, I could have done nothing else. She needs me. How can I resist?

[face_love] [face_love] That's why we love Jaggie! (I love Impulsive Jag.... We need a doll for that! :p Who was our Doll Procurer?)

Excellent post! I think these letters home are so great... Jag is so sweet! [face_love]

Aniakera

19. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    Great Post!!! I'll reply tomorrow AFTER my test.

20. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Great job! It really is interesting to get Jag's perspective. Wedge and Soontir really are polar opposites in some ways but so the same in others.

21. skywalker64089

skywalker64089 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    =D= =D= =D=

I really enjoyed this. The fact that Jag didn't take umbrage at Tycho's comment about the insignia joke was great. (hmm. Thoughts about a galactic diplomatic incident come to mind :p).

S.

22. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Oh that's brilliant :cool:

Jag you are falling for Jaina. She's putting a mind trick on you without even using the Force ;) :D

I like the letter and how Jag describes his feelings in it... We learn again something new about him...

Hey and tattoo is there :D

OK need to go and buy my ROTS DVD ( finally it's release here :rolleyes: ) :D

23. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I loved the letter, I loved the landing, I loved Jag's interactions with Tycho and Wedge (brief though they may have been), and I especially loved these two lines:

?On my backside, actually.?

?I think you?re going to do fine around here, Colonel,? Tycho said, smiling.
    [face_laugh][face_laugh] Now why can't Jag always be written like that? I'd like him so much better. ;) Hilarious.

Immediately after Wedge?s decision, I realized why Father used to shake his head and mutter my uncle?s name on occasion ? like the time I crashed Davin?s speeder. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Yeah...that one's my favorite. So Soontir; so Wedge. Brilliant. :D

So an all-around. [face_laugh] for this post with a little :) for the letter!

Is it too soon to ask for more?

24. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    ooo the meeting of twin suns... that will be interesting

I liked this chapter I think it's my favorite out of all of them. Jag was a good mix of rebel and chiss in this one (I think anyway)

great job TKL

25. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Woohoo! Another great post.

Especially cool is the way you?re gradually trickling out more pieces of information about how Jag is feeling about everything ? the war, being way from home, his mission, Shawnkyr, working with the ?Rebels?, and of course Jaina. You?re really effective at working the show-not-tell technique on all of this. There?s only a little bit of real introspection but we learn so much about Jag. =D=

It?s not really a desk. More like a pair of crates with a slab of sheetcrete stretched across them.
    And of course we get to see Jag?s sense of humor. ;)

I am in my new quarters. I think it used to be a closet. I suspect it housed the fertilizer for the hothouse from the Imperial occupation, or at least it smells like it.
    :oops: Poor Jag!

?You didn?t trust me.?
    Heehee! If you were Shawnkyr, would you trust you, Jag? :p

?I think it will take more than my sharp skills to extricate you from the mess you will likely find yourself in.?
    Touché. [face_laugh]

since Jag was throwing himself into this campaign one-hundred percent, he snapped a salute of which his Imperial father would have been proud.
    Tycho tossed the plane of his hand in the general vicinity of his eyebrow

LOL! Oh, is Jag in for some changes? :D :D

?Legend, you say??
    Jag?s got a little bit of that Corellian smooth, doesn?t he? [face_mischief]

?On my backside, actually.?
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Priceless. One of the all-time great TKL lines. =D=

In that instant, her brown eyes found him, and she hesitated in mid-sentence. There was only Jag and Jaina; there was nowhere else he would have rather been. Just as quickly, though, she looked away, continuing on as if nothing had passed between them. Suddenly the room seemed too full, and Jag felt entirely out of his element.
    [face_batting] [face_love] :_| Perfect. Nothing else to say ? perfect.

Can?t wait to see the next post! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.