main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 1.01 - Chapter 1 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 11, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 26, 2019.
  1. 10

20.4%
  2. 9

29.3%
  3. 8

33.1%
  4. 7

10.2%
  5. 6

5.7%
  6. 5

1.3%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Dave Filoni reveals why he used IG-11 and not IG-88 in 'The Mandalorian'

I guess ya something new every day.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Good I hope this means the show will mostly only feature new characters

3. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I like what Feloni did there. This is what I've hoped for as a Star Wars fan for a very long time. Add to the franchise without diminishing with what has come before it. You don't need to do that to make something work and be interesting or good.

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    At about the 10:05 mark....

Is that a Lancer Class Pursuit Ship after he freezes the dude and comes in for a landing?

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s what it looks like yes

6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So is Razor Crest the name of his individual ship...or is it the class name of the ship type? They way the guy was talking it sounded more like class name.

11-4D and Jedi Daniel like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Sounded like it was a class of ship, yeah. The mythrol guy said “A Razorcrest.” Not “the.” And it wouldn’t have made sense for him to guess a personal name for the ship when he had no idea who the Mando was. But maybe because nobody flies them anymore, Pedro also just calls it the Razorcrest. That said, as a laconic loner, I imagine he’s not the type that gives his ship a name. Unlike Han Solo, who’s much more of a braggadocio. It’s just a ship. Gets him from A to B and all that.

KSennia likes this.
  8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Two people gave this 5/10...? Attention seekers :cool:

11-4D and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    All that matters is @OrganicMeatbag gave it a 10.

10. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    No lie, my first car cost $200 and was aptly named the Millenium Falcon. Couldn't have the radio and headlights on at the same time,etc.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    just rated this a 10 because holy hell it's a live action Star Wars TV series. That deserves a 10 on it's own as a thing that exists!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Who is OrganicMeatbag...?? Haha

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No idea whatsoever. I just saw that OrganicMeatbag ranked the episode a 10.

And I think the general rule is that if OrganicMeatbag likes something, it must be good.

Avnar likes this.
  14. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Watched this again before starting episode 2 - gave the episode a 9 but it's more like a 9.5/10, I really love how the show embraces the Western themes and feel. I've always loved the bounty hunters and underworld aspects of Star Wars, this show just looks like it's going to be everything I want it to be and the first episode was an excellent beginning.

RetropME, Felicia, Bor Mullet and 2 others like this.
  15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Rated the episode a solid 8/10. Liked the worldbuilding a lot, and it will be fascinating to see more of what happens in this era. The Mandalorian main character seems to have a compelling backstory I'm interested to learn more about. The assassin droid made me chuckle in the history of Star Wars droids being used as comic relief. Definitely did its job as the opener making me want to come back for more. I look forward to watching the next episode tonight when I get home from work. Nice to have a live action Star Wars show.

Bor Mullet and Trepis like this.
  16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    There's no Wedge in that episode but boy its amazing. And episode 2 is even better. What a series. I don't want to call it just yet, but star wars is back!

17. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yeah. I was hoping that IG-11 would join the Mando. Oh well. And that baby version of Yoda, whatever the species (Whil?), was adorable as hell. Even cuter than the Porgs. :p

The Live Action Star Wars TV Debut sure didn't disappoint. I would like to give this Episode a 10; but I want to wait a while, until I come down a little from my first season high. The visual effects were movie quality, just like the trailer shown. The quarren, at the first cantina, actually looked more realistic than the movie version. And the creature effects were particularly amazing. I loved the ugnaught Character, voiced by Nick Nolte. I hope we see him again in the future.

My only disappointment was the music. It took me out of the world of Star Wars at times; as the music doesn't sound like Star Wars. It just emphasizes how much John Williams means to Star Wars. I really wish that Disney would allow the musical baton, to be passed to Michael Giacchino.

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I've watched this episode 3 times! =D=

Darth Smurf, BigAl6ft6 and Trepis like this.
  19. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    8/10

Solid start to the series with great atmosphere.

But I'm surprised the episodes are that short. Also I'm not the biggest fan of the music so far.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've been thinking about the runtime and I think one reason it's shorter is because we never go beyond the Mandalorian's perspective. Most dramas have multiple plots running concurrently and the focus shifts from one character to the next within an episode. But with The Mandalorian it's been laser focused on Mando. The only instance I can even think of when we leave Mando for a moment is in the second episode when it goes back to Kuiil and the Jawas waiting for him to return with the egg. Even then he quickly returns to the scene.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Just watched Chapter 1 again waiting for Ch. 4 to drop. A couple of westerns came to mind during specific scenes.

Trying to tame the blurrg took me back to Woodrow Call breaking a Kiowa mare at the start of Lonesome Dove, the earliest "modern" take on the genre that I remember ever seeing (which was also higher budget long form, for the standards of 80's network TV).

Mando taking over the laser canon at the compound had to have been a callback to John Wayne capturing a Gatling gun from a group of ne'er-do-wells in Rooster Cogburn and turning it against them in their own camp.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Sarge and Trepis like this.
  22. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    I realize I am dredging up what is now ancient history, but I have a question that I don’t see anyone having discussed (or I missed it):

When the Mythrol goes below deck on the Razor Crest he starts futzing around with buttons instead of going to the bathroom, right? The first thing he does is discover a stash of weapons. Now I don’t blame him for not trying to take on Mando, he’d like have ended up dead instead of just in jail. So what was he looking for then?

Maybe it was just curiosity that made him go snooping, but we all know now: curiosity is what got the cat frozen in carbonite!

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He could have been looking for an escape pod.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. I assumed a way out.

25. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    So... does... does that mean IG-88 is still the DSII?

Bor Mullet likes this.