main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 1.02-Chapter 2-Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Master Scorpio , Nov 13, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 22, 2019.
  1. 10

33.9%
  2. 9

30.5%
  3. 8

20.7%
  4. 7

10.3%
  5. 6

2.3%
  6. 5

0.6%
  7. 4

1.1%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0.6%
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    They’re making each episode as long as it needs to be to tell the story. We don’t need 13 one hour episodes because it’s streaming standard ala Iron Fist just to fill out time. All killer, no filler.

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Bingo. That Netflix Marvel stuff had plenty of useless filler, maybe Daredevil S1 and S3 aside.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  3. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    When is episode 3 being aired ?

Anubis78 likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Friday.

Anubis78 and DarthKegs like this.
  5. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Thanks

Anubis78 and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Did I already mention that I like the style of the end credits?
    [​IMG]

7. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    They defended their stronghold pretty fiercely and had killed all those who had previously sought the baby. I agree he wasn’t kept in a “safe”, but anyone managing to get into the stronghold isn’t going to be stopped at that point.

11-4D, Bor Mullet and Anubis78 like this.
  8. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Yeah idk, I guess i kinda see my own personal rating and RT scores in different lights. Thanks for being condescending and attacking the credibility of my opinions rather than engaging with them

Gharlane and Anubis78 like this.
  9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Yup. Love it. And totally adds to the western vibe. Kind of like old western movie posters.

[​IMG]

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I could watch those pics with the credits sound for hours. On your pic Charles Bronson and Claudia Cardinale look like they are watching it too right now.
    Maybe one day they do a full CGI episode where Ugnaught Bronson and Twi'lek Cardinale are on the run and hunted by dark side Ford and his not so dark bounty hunter friend Robards.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  11. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Each Netflix episode could have benefited from being about 10 minutes shorter,and also every season could have benefited from having 10 episodes instead of 13. I in fact thought season 2 of Iron Fist was much more enjoyable than season one because it was 10 episodes. Although the 13 episodes of Daredevil S3 were used well IMO. But sometimes, less is more.

I have been enjoying the run-time of The Mandalorian.

Anubis78 and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think the ethic of the show is tight, simple, but very meaningful short stories per episode. But each director is likely free to take the time they think is needed to tell their pieces of the narrative, as long as it fits the short story style. I like that a lot. Though I do think it means all episodes (except, perhaps, for each season finale?) will all be under 45 minutes.

Anubis78 likes this.
  13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    9/10 in the poll - after another watch still didn't like it quite as much as episode 1 but it's certainly not a big drop for me at all in terms of quality or entertainment.

Anubis78 likes this.
  14. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    A perfect half hour. My two year old was entranced. Cancel TRoS, we don't need it any more.

Anubis78 and DarthFixxxer like this.
  15. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I need it.

16. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    The scene with the Jawas opening fire on the Mando once he reached the top of the sand crawler was typical Lego SW, but lo and behold, it worked in a live action scenario. Only Favreau and Filoni could have pulled that off. Brilliant.

Anubis78 likes this.
  17. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I don’t know if anyone has said it yet, bc I hit reply right away.

Need to call it out - this is an excellent, thought-provoking post. Well done, friend.

::crawls back into lurk-hole and continues to think about posting as often las I used to::

Anubis78 and Darthur C. Clarke like this.
  18. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Well, shucks, thanks! I'm very much looking forward to finding out info related to this in the next few episodes!!

*I love your username, haha!

Anubis78 likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    When we talk about it being trained who by? The Jedi? Someone else?

Anubis78 and Darthur C. Clarke like this.
  20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    With no worldly attachments, Yoda pays child support in Jedi training.

Anubis78 and Outsourced like this.
  21. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    While I think that's still an if, the child does have Jedi robes......could be coincidence, and probably is; but I feel if fully consistent, that should mean something.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Anubis78 likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Also my favorite part about baby yoda is his oversized robes

23. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I can't get over the scenes with the Jawas. That is absolute rolled-gold in characterisation.

Their role in the 2nd Episode was nothing more than a brief side plot point and to add a little more drama to The Mandalorian's time on that planet. But their characterisation was brilliantly captured. The humour, the way they interacted with each other, the way they interact with others, them throwing objects down at The Mandalorian scaling their Sandcrawler (invoking memories of medieval times with people throwing rocks down off castle walls) and so on - just brilliant.

I love it that here they are with everything from the Razorcrest; all of the external parts, all of the internal operating systems, The Mandalorian's weapon cache, everything. The Razorcrest was virtually stripped bare.

So in their 'negotiations, they first asked for the Beskar Iron (which is extremely valuable to everyone from all accounts), then they ask for the Yodaling and after both of those are refused, they settle for "The Egg". The egg, the egg, the egg they all chant - which appears to be of extreme value.

So The Mandalorian succeeds in retrieving "The Egg" for all of his stuff back; stuff that would no doubt take thousands of credits to purchase. The Jawas hold "The Egg" aloft as it were the Holy Grail of everything and holds extreme value. A second or two later, the leader whips out his knife and chops the top off and these little creatures start gorging themselves on the yolk.

Laugh my ******* ass off, that is rolled gold. The Jawas primitive and simple ways and views on things are captured so brilliantly in this one moment. For what they gave up and what The Mandalorian had to go through to get "The Egg", that is characterisation at its finest with what happened next. It reminds me of a few years ago when the media reported somebody had found unopened Scotch bottles in Antarctica from previous expeditions back in the early 1900's. Aged on ice for a century; goodness knows how smooth of a drop it would be. But more so, something that unique would almost be priceless and people would shell out a lot of money to be able to have a taste. That is how I view the Jawas and this egg. It is such a fine delicacy that they would be prepared to trade the world for this one taste of something so unique and hard to come by.

I loved all of the 2nd Episode, I loved the first too. And as much as everything is brilliant, if I had to choose a favourite set of scenes, the ones with the Jawas are it.

Just brilliant. I hope we get more characterisation moments like this throughout the series.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I almost can’t believe how good it was. And it makes me really, really excited for Famuyiwa returning to direct in season 2 (which is confirmed).

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Jawa portion of the episode was a pilot for a Jawa series. I am now willing to be an investor.