main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 1.05-Chapter 5-Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Master Scorpio , Dec 4, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 13, 2019.
  1. 10

14.2%
  2. 9

23.0%
  3. 8

25.7%
  4. 7

13.5%
  5. 6

15.5%
  6. 5

4.7%
  7. 4

2.0%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Alright, any minute now...…..Cant wait1

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m up, I’m up!

*falls asleep*

3. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Bor Mullet and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  4. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Its here!!!! Im watching.....here goes

whostheBossk and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!

I HAD to pause it. I Promise, no spoilers - but just you wait until you see where we ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Just finished it! That ending had me screaming. Loved the nostalgia trip in the rest of this episode.

Something is definitely being set up here. Wonder who that was walking up to Fennec Shand at the end. I'm guessing it is someone in the guild or perhaps this is where we meet Moff Gideon?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  7. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    FILONNNNNNIIIIIII

[​IMG]

Yeah that's freakin Boba. On Tatooine of all places? No way Filoni is gonna subvert us like that, no way

[​IMG]

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That was freaking awesome!

That was so Boba at the end, right! RIGHT????

9. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    BRILLIANT EPISODE. OMG.

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I doubt it is Boba, the boots are different.

11. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    They did not with that ending!! We're going there, aren't we?

Who wants to guess we may not even see the true reveal until a few episodes later? Maybe not even until the finale or season 2.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, but remember Cobb Vanth likely took his armor after ROTJ. So it's likely he'd wearing something different.

Trebor Sabreon and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018
    Holy crap are they teasing Boba Fett with that ending!?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    the sfx of spurred boots are a dead giveway, imo

[/spoilers]

edit: spoiler 2

HE WOULD BE WITH THE GUILD, NOT THE MANDALORIANS. Because he's a bounty hunter, not a Mando. Filoni is following Geroge. THIS IS EPIC. I'm so freaking hyped.

TadoFett likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Another clue I think is the fact that Fennec was said to be a Hutt assassin so Boba likely would have been familiar with her. The kid was going after her to gain a reputation and I'm betting Boba wanted to catch her to regain the reputation he lost. Now that she's dead he'll go after Mando. I'm calling it now... season 1 ends with a standoff between Mando and Boba Fett.

16. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    =D=

Oh hell yeah this episode was insane. 10 times better than chapter 4.

These people know how Star Wars should be man, if only this group had been involved with the sequel trilogy from the start.

Jaxxon- likes this.
  17. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    dude that was an epic episode of television. Im glad Mando got called out by the wonderful ship mechanic for leaving Baby Yoda alone. I felt that was jarring when it happened and it didnt make any sense to me but now i get what Favreau is going for. Mando has never had the responsibility of raising a child. he honestly thinks leaving Baby Yoda in his ship is much more logical than taking him out in public like he did last episode. It's not a great option, but its the best option he's got. and he learned a lesson in that he needs to be more careful. hopefully this thread continues because im loving that characterization for Mando.

PS: Does Baby Yoda make the same sound when he wakes up that Obi Wan does in the special edition of A New Hope, when Obi scares the Jawas away from R2???? Is that like a Force yawn/grunt???? I LOVE THE PREQUEL REFERENCES. "She has the high ground".

18. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Wow. Amazing episode.

Thankfully it looks like last week was a blip. Normal service has been resumed.

Nostalgia overload... even a bit of PT!
    Great action.
    Awesome effects.
    “that’s my line”
    And that ending!.......

Best moment of the series so far.... close up shot of a desert planet and.....
    “This is Mos Eisley tower”
    I screamed like a girl.

Tattooine just looked amazing and I love that we got the Cantina, Pit droids, Tuskens and R5. And the “big cricket at the bar” a Mark Hammil line from the Empire of Dreams! I love Filoni.

This pit droids we’re fantastic.

And was that Boba? I really hope it is.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    How ironic is it that a droid is now the bartender at Chalmun's Cantina? I guess the no droids policy has become a little lax in the years since Luke and Obi-Wan visited. :p

MrDarth0, KSennia, Etav Byx and 8 others like this.
  20. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    For those unhappy with chapter 4, this one is for you. Simply brilliant.

Jaxxon- and smudger9 like this.
  21. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Just watched it again.

I really think this 30mins will go down in history with the fans. Filoni is da bomb!

TadoFett and Lord-Skywalker like this.
  22. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    So the Mando takes on an aspiring bounty hunter under his wing, much like the Mandalorians took him under their wing but with obviously completely opposite results. A look back at the amoral life he was leading at the start, and is still forced to lead sometimes when money is tight.

Filoni revisits Chalmun's Cantina for the second time - so we've seen it in all three eras now. Hah, looks like the droids won this one - they're tending the place now and ripped out the droid detector. I wonder what they did with Wuhur... Business sure seems to have slowed down there.

Tusken negotiations - that's a new one. I guess this answers the question of how humans talk with Tuskens - hand signals.

Mando is still new at parenting Force sensitive things - surely that compartment has a lock but young Jedi... you know...

After the by-the-numbers guest stars of Chapter 4, it is quite a nice change to see the show go "loud" again in this department. Like many of Lucas's creations, they can be jarring at first (especially in such iconic surroundings) but they do end up being memorable. Star Wars does have its roots in pulp fiction, after all - this was a "lighter" episode than most and it's okay not to wear such a serious facade all the time. One of the appealing things about Star Wars is that it can be profound without being pretentious.

This was the most nostalgia-heavy episode by a long shot - not only the most familiar location in the galaxy (5 out of 6 saga movies, and all three TV series that Filoni has had major involvement in.) Even to the point of mirroring many shots and phrases from the saga. I'll admit even I was enjoying the memories but... really, the show does need to break out of this circle soon.

Hmm... that ending...

8/10

23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Haha. Yeah. Mando is the Kenny Powers of the GFFA when it comes to childcare. Actually, he could learn something from Kenny. Put it in a backpack and give it some lettuce!

1. This was a really fun episode. It was just...fun. In the right ways. Like @PymParticles, I want to see the show get moving on the larger story (as I can already anticipate the “filler” complaints after chapter 4 and 5), but I’m really just loving how the show so confidently...marinates in Western and samurai tropes. It’s not trying too hard to be prestige television. It’s just being what it is, and that works for me.

2. Did we just spend a whole episode on Tatooine!? With pit droids!?

3. I’m official re-naming Toro (the young bounty hunter). To me, he looks and acts hilariously like the love child of Han Solo and Anakin Skywalker. From now on, he shall be known as: Hanakin.

4. Yeah, I mean. Yeah. I think that’s gotta be Boba. But I hope it doesn’t pay off until another season. Because this season’s been building up to a confrontation with the Imperial remnant, and a resolution of the Guild and Mandalorian Enclave storylines, and Boba Fett simply has nothing to do with that story. So ending season 1 with a Fett confrontation would seem odd. But I can’t lie. That sent a chill up my spine.

5. Baby Yoda made some distinctly different sounds at the end of the episode that clearly sounded like he was getting closer to speaking. I think we’ll be hearing his first words by the end of the season. I bet it’s something like “Mando.” Or, I could imagine a dramatic moment where Baby Yoda, instead of using the force to save Mando, speaks a warning to him as its first word. Anyway, I have no idea, but I think they’re building up to Baby Yoda speaking in the last episode (or before).

6. Droids rule at the cantina now. A really funny and smart way to show that the world has been turned upside down after the Empire fell. Even more effective (as a fan) than showing the speared stormtrooper helmets.

7. I like hanging out with the Mando.

This is the way.

24. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Was that EV-9D9, the droid from Jabba's Palace?

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It was definitely the same type of droid if not the exact same one.