main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 1.05-Chapter 5-Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Master Scorpio , Dec 4, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 13, 2019.
  1. 10

14.2%
  2. 9

23.0%
  3. 8

25.7%
  4. 7

13.5%
  5. 6

15.5%
  6. 5

4.7%
  7. 4

2.0%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Loved this episode. It was like visiting an old friend. The set/location recreations were dead on, brought a smile ear to ear.

2. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I think what’s been shown is enough to get by so far but I definitely agree we need to learn this kind of stuff by the end of the show. For example “what would it take for the guild to link a fob to the Mando?” isn’t that pressing of a question as long as he is traveling with someone we know they’re already tracking, but “When and where can who be tracked?” will eventually need to answered when so many plot points on the show involve hiding from bounty hunters.

3sm1r and KSennia like this.
  3. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Produced by Fobio, Inc.
    With its simplistic midichlorian and kyber crystal design, you'll be exclaiming "I can't believe it's not battery! "
    They're working on a wrist-mounted fob that also features a built-in calculator.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’ve watched the episode three times now. All three times the Mando takes off at the end, and then flies pretty sharply to the left, instead of into space. So it’s possible he goes back.

Demon4x4 and KSennia like this.
  5. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    That's the shound your mother makes, Mando!

Sarge, LedReader and Siphonophore like this.
  6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ^exactly, these are absolutely obvious questions that anybody who's paying attention to what they're watching would ask. It's not nitpicking nor "looking too much into this".
    It's basic info necessary to follow the plot.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    It’s really not. The audience does not need to been spoon fed exposition on its exact inner workings to understand that it has parameters that allow short range tracking.

Do we absolutely NEED them to say it’s biometrics/midichlorians? Every other aspect of it has been explained either through exposition or visual language.

Do we need specific explanations for how hyperspace works as well to understand the other movies? No.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Nope. I would be "spoon fed" in case the explanation was obvious but I wanted it to be more explicit. This is not the case. Here there is a mechanism that is central to the plot but nobody understands it.
    Can I live with it? Yes. Do I like it? Hell no.

9. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Almost everyone else in this thread understands how it works without having to have it explicitly spelled out.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Nobody understands how it works, not even you. Some people make some guesses, some other make other guesses. Not a single person has the definitive answer.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  11. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    That's fine and all, but I honestly don't see the big problem as I'm sure it will be explained in some form eventually. Maybe not in this show, but who cares. I'm not telling you to not have opposing opinions or anything, I just feel the fob debate has run its course. I would rather speculate on chapter 6 myself.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  12. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    You’re right we don’t know the specific mechanism and my post could’ve been clearer. Most people know it uses specific parameters as part of a chain code including but not limited to age and location as per the discussion between Mando and the Client from episode 1.

We also know that they have a range although not not specified. It’s implied in episode 3 from Mando’s perspective that if he can find a planet remote enough that he and baby Yoda would be safe because a guild member would have to accidentally stumble across the planet to get a ping. It’s not until after some of the raiders escape the attack on the village does word get out that a Mando is hiding out on Sorgen and bounty hunters start showing up.

So my post should’ve said through the dialogue and the writing of the show most people seem to have a grasp on how the fobs work. Can’t help you if need them to literally provide a manual.

Okay I’m done talking about fobs as they are the least interesting aspect of this show.

I know Mando has to go back to Navarro at some stage but If it was indeed him going back to Fennec then I wonder if he’ll make a trip to the mid-rim to claim that bounty.

TheYodaPagoda and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Cara Dune tells Mando that she assumed he “had a fob on her.” I think it’s therefore clear that if the Bounty Hunter’s Guild gets asked to grab a bounty, nearly anyone in the galaxy who has a public record of any kind can be tracked and linked to a fob. Including Mando. End of story.

14. SG-17

SG-17 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2017
    Wasn't too big of a fan of that episode. Felt a little flat and bland.

Makes me think that the Mos Eisley set was made for something else and they just wanted to get their money's worth and set this episode there for no reason.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think the most likely candidate for the mystery character...

[​IMG]

is this guy!

16. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Baby Yodo was clearly tagged before those mercs were killed when the Mando got to him.
    When taken to that imperial facility he was tagged again as those things won't last long.
    Greef probably tagged the Mando's ship, but Fennec clearly had been caught before thus tagged but is unaware of this until caught.
    That orbital satellite doesn't use a blood marker but can pick up the transmitter injected in the target.
    That would make more sense but until they explain who knows?!

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Mando’s ship wasn’t tagged. Otherwise, why would only one bounty hunter have found him on Sargon, and only after two weeks?

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    What if it contains species, age, height, weight, sex, last known location etc etc etc... The fob starts going off when you are near someone who matches all this and then a cross reference with the pic either matches and you catch them or it doesn't and you move on.

Now baby Yoda they only had age and last known location, but maybe some of the finer details were deliberately kept secret from the hunters but were contained in the fob [face_dunno]It starts beeping because it contains all the info, it's just that the Mando didn't have it himself because they didn't want it getting out (force sensitive yodaling and all that).

One thing that has been playing on my mind is the possible "upcoming risen from the dead character" and how they might have obtained dna from Yoda to prolong their life to this point but now with Yoda gone they have found another. I hate the midichlorian stuff more than anyone but Qui Gon did a test on Anakin and the Jedi seem to know about the counts and who has what. Where were the samples kept that they took? Were they stolen when The Empire ransacked the Jedi Temple and does that play into anything moving forward or is it too complicated? [face_thinking] Was Yodas dna already used to give someone "extra life" Hmmm

I heard that one of the episodes will tie into a certain film being released shortly... Oh, who knows!

19. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    To me it seems he arcs left sure, but left up into space. I think that if he was turning left back into Tatooine, then we'd have a different shot that shows the Tatooine skyline, not outer space, which indicates, up and left into space, to me.

But as you said, it could be a turn not into space but Tatooine. I personally find that unlikely, but we'll see soon enough.

Bor Mullet and Avnar like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The arc doesn’t seem particularly vertical. What you are calling “into space” is simply “into the night sky.” It was after sunset.

That said, I have no idea at this point. I’m personally hoping for either Cad Bane or Boba Fett, but it may be something more prosaic, like Mando going back to find Shand to connect with the crew she intended to meet on Mos Espa, and work with them to take on the Imperial remnant.

TheYodaPagoda and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm not a fan of the idea that it is possible to directly track living being, but if they really want to go with it, that's fine. I'd just like to know it once and for all.
    The ignorance about what makes sense and what doesn't in-universe inhibits my investment in the story.

Let me make you an example of a situation in which a mess with the in-universe rules can be damaging.
    Kylo Ren in TFA at a certain moment says "the droid... stole a ship?". Everybody laughed at the joke because there was a sort of general understanding among the fans that no, of course a droid cannot steal a ship. Then in TLJ there is this super cartoonish scene in which BB8 actually steals a walker. After that, well, would it really not be able to steal a ship as well? Maybe no, maybe yes, but it surely becomes open to debate. Retroactively, Kylo's joke doesn't look so funny anymore, 'cause now it seems he was asking about an actual possibility.

22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I honestly really hope it's not Cad Bane. Much as I'd love to see him again, and in live-action no less, what we've seen of his final appearance in TCW was clearly leading towards his death and Boba stepping up to take his place as part of becoming a true bounty hunter:

I don't know, I can't look at this scene as anything but the culmination of Bane's role and Boba's arc. Bane goes down in a classic gunslinger duel. We see a split second of smoke rising from his blasted face, and we see that Boba's only alive because of his helmet.

It's partly why I think it's such a shame that this arc was never released, since I enjoyed Boba's slow growth on the show very much. As it is, we never get the triumphant moment of him donning the armour, by the time of Dark Disciple he' already at that point in his story. It's something that feels like a real missing link to me.

So having Bane show up here would feel strangely disconnected from what it seems TCW was aiming for (even if we don't have all the details).

Jedi Knight Fett and Darkslayer like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m feeling that the Bill Burr and gang we see in the trailers were the people Fennec was supposed to meet up with, and that Mando will meet up with them in her stead. And then he’s going to team up with them, and other allies (Cara, Greef once he mends that relationship, other Mandos, and perhaps IG-11), to take on the Imperial remnant.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's Sorgan not Sargon. Please, get it right. :p

8/10 This was a really fun episode! Seeing Mando approaching Tatooine was such a delight. I've missed the old dust ball! Another simple standalone story but this time I thought they pulled it off a lot better than in Chapter 4. Peli Motto was really funny and loved how she chided Mando on his parenting skills. Toro Calican was a great dark version of Han. A scoundrel without the skill, luck or heart of Solo. And in the end he ended up biting off more than he could handle and paid the price. Just shows how hard it is to survive in this world. I really liked seeing the Tuskens in a new light. They've mostly been portrayed villainous but here it shows they're really just protecting their territory. And if you treat them with respect and are willing to barter with them they may be willing to let you pass. It's been fun seeing a little more of both Jawas and Tusken Raiders in the series. The one thing I'm a bit disappointed with was how quickly Fannec Shand was killed. Was hoping to see more from her. Otherwise another strong episode! Bring on Chapter 6!

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The more I watch the episode, the more I love Amy Sedaris’ Peli. She’s like the anti-Jocasta Nu in terms of minor characters.

Sarge, Count Yubnub, RetropME and 3 others like this.