main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 1.05-Chapter 5-Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Master Scorpio , Dec 4, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 13, 2019.
  1. 10

14.2%
  2. 9

23.0%
  3. 8

25.7%
  4. 7

13.5%
  5. 6

15.5%
  6. 5

4.7%
  7. 4

2.0%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Sedaris took me completely out of the episode. I don't know if it's because I'm just too familiar with her; I enjoyed the story, but I couldn't get over "hey, that's Amy Sedaris doing a Sigorney Weaver cosplay!"

GunganSlayer likes this.
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    There are only three episodes left and we know that one will focus on Greef and the other will focus on Moff Gideon so if that was Boba it seems like that might be a setup for season two.

3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I've talked with a lot of folks at work today about the ending today. Not once did anyone speculate it was just The Mando in the final scene. I was actually somewhat surprised there are so many here that feel like it is him in the final scene. Perhaps it is, but if so, I think it's an incredibly perplexing way to shoot the scene and to end the epsiode, with the only intent behind it to cause misdirection (which is entirely possible).

My thoughts for the final scene:
    • Boba Fett
    • Greef
    • Cara
    • Cad Bane
    • Possibly Moff Gideon
    • Some other random Mandalorian
    • That random drifter character that people bring up in the new timeline (which some speculate is Fett)
      • I know almost all the ins and outs of the original timeline, but haven't read anything in the new timeline, but I've heard many bring up this particular character as a possibility.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  4. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    This is a terrible example given that droids can absolutely steal ships and do many other weird things like hunt bounties and set traps. It was played for laughs because of how cutesy and innocent BB units are. You really should stop conflating your misunderstandings with the general audience.

my kind of scum likes this.
  5. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    It’s the immortal Darth Maul. He spent the OT recovering from his stabbing and attempted cremation in Rebels and his now ready to take his vengeance again.

On finding out that everyone he wanted to take revenge on is already dead, he despondently wanders the desert until he comes across the corpse of an assassin. Desperate for some sort of purpose he realizes that even if he can no longer take revenge for himself he will now spend the rest of his life seeking vengeance for this random desert corpse.

The Chalk Jedi and Darkslayer like this.
  6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What made the joke funny was precisely the fact that BB8 clearly appeared to be incapable of stealing a ship. If it was obvious that it could, the joke wouldn't make any sense.
    By the way, there is no reason to get so aggressive, we are just having a peaceful conversation, calm down.

7. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    As much as I would like her to be alive and explored more or become a sort of rival to Mando I just don’t see her playing dead before and after He comes back on dewback. If that is the case then again scripting needed some hint that she’d actually survived.

8. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I definitely think she’s super dead. The show is developing a track record of unceremoniously killing off side characters they teased as a big deal. Half expecting Moff Gideon to die in the first episode he shows up in too.

Not that this is a complaint, just means they’ve been really good at keeping the big elements under wraps and us on our toes.

9. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Still loving things overall, but I have to admit I find all of the aesthetic callbacks off-putting. It takes me out of the moment and I feel like I should be looking for "pop-up video" bubbles. Granted, if you're going to riff off of the past, no better place than Star Wars to do it, but for small, everyday things, either do some world-building, or, if the budget doesn't allow, leave it alone. Less is more, and all that.

I know I'm part of a huge minority on that; I realize if you're going to throw SW references into a SW show, you're going to appease more than not.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  10. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I apologize if I’ve come across that way, not my intent and we’ll leave it at that.

God I need the next episode and while I’ve enjoyed the weekly releases I want it now. I want to know about Mandalorians, Mando himself and baby Yoda.

Bor Mullet, TheYodaPagoda and 3sm1r like this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    She's dead Jim.

ETA: @mnjedi I think Gideon is toast. For sure.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I actually really agree with you, but I like Cad Bane so much I'd still be whooping if this turns out to be him.

TheYodaPagoda and darkspine10 like this.
  13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Can't argue with that :p
    [​IMG]

14. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Enjoyed this episode. The Dune Sea swoop bike scenes were great. I have always been fascinated by it as an environment. A vast, unforgiving desert. The EV-9D9 droid was a nice callback, as was the Cantina itself. I liked how it was kind of empty, as if it had become even more run-down and neglected since ANH. That happens to bars and I thought it was a good touch, made the scene authentic.

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Jawa vs Tusken negotiations.

On thing I felt about the Tuskens in this episode was that they needed more swagger. A bit more attitude.
    They stood there and made their demand, and the exchange was made, and that was it.

Contrast with the wildness of the Jawas negotiations, where the Mando was on the verge of killing them all and being held back by Kuiil, while the Javas are carrying on and coming to their ridiculous demand for Su-Gah! Su-Gah!

I know Episode 2 was far more about the Jawas, but the Tuskens scene needed a bit more of something.

I'm just waffling.

Sarge, Krueger and Avnar like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Ha. I agree that the Jawa stuff was more culturally layered and fun. Though I think Filoni was showing character progression. From his poor, shoot-first negotiating skills with the Jawas, to his much more civilized, ask-first negotiating skills with the Tuskens.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    After watching the episode a couple more times I think I'm changing my mind about the mystery man. I'm going to agree with the earlier suggestion that it's Mando coming to collect Fannec Shand so he can take her place on whatever job she was planning. Weird way to film it but I think it's the most likely scenario. Still I hope I'm wrong and it is Boba Fett. :p

18. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I didn’t even think about the possibility of Mando hijacking whatever job Shane was working. That would be really interesting as well given that she’s an assassin not a bounty hunter. Really show that just because Mando is growing some fatherly love he can still be ruthless.

19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I loved your original idea and will be disappointing with any other scenario now [face_not_talking]

RetropME and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yeah, it feels like Boba, but what if it is Lu... no. Not him.

What if it is Bib Fortuna, roaming the wastelands after Jabba's fall?

RetropME likes this.
  21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't think F&F would want to tread over the already fantastically bizarre EU storyline of Bib Fortuna following Jabba's death.

[​IMG]

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    No worries. That’s why I’m here. To do the thinking for the fandom. I’m really that brilliant. I mentioned this possibility a little while back in this thread, demonstrating how I’m light years ahead of everyone on everything. Heck, I even called Baby Yoda months ago. You’re welcome everyone.

23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Mando behaves in an extremely reckless way by allowing another bounty hunter to see BY. He should have known better.

24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    But in that case why would they film it like that, making him difficult to recognize?

Besides, very unpopular opinion: I don't know why people hope to have Boba Fett. I have never understood the love of the fandom for this man. He's a dude with a cool mask with barely few lines of dialogue [face_dunno]

Edit: ups sorry for the dp.

Sarge, Demon4x4 and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  25. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    I think this has been mentioned before, but it seems more and more likely that Greef Karga placed a small homing device on the Razor Crest. Greef was up along the wall, blending in at the end of ep3, but his positioning makes it seem like he was putting something in the ship when Mando walked in. Suddenly that scene takes on a different feel: perhaps Greef didn’t plan on confronting Mando (why would he after the past ten minutes?!) but he was lucky to get the drop on Mando and took a shot. He would need to distract from the real reason he was there, otherwise Mando would just walk over to the wall and toss out the homing beacon. But now Mando, and the audience, thinks Greef was primarily there to get BY so no one bothers checking for a planted device..... yet.

That would explain some of the seemingly anomalous stuff about fobs because it isn’t the fob that necessarily allows the guild to track Mando. Or I’m completely off base and have no idea what I’m talking about. My wife and kids would probably go with the latter.

About Sargon, I don’t think we know that only one bounty hunter was on the planet looking for Mando and BY (I will dub them MBY). Only one found them, yes, but others may have been across the globe trying to figure out where MBY was. Remember when he finds BY he is also given last position data. So he knows where BY is, roughly.

A tracking fob seems to be a bit like a metal detector. If you point it in the right direction it starts to signal you and with the wrong direction it probably goes cold, but knowing only rough direction and planet could easily take weeks to narrow down, don’t you think? Or am I missing something here?

Anyway, I suspect that Mando’s ship could be tagged allowing hunter’s to know what planet they’re on and the fob gives them direction once they land. But if he is in the equivalent of Sargon’s Florida and the hunter is in Mongolia, it might be awhile before they get BY’s precise position. That’s my guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2019
    Hopeless, RetropME and 3sm1r like this.