main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 1.05-Chapter 5-Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Master Scorpio , Dec 4, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 13, 2019.
  1. 10

14.2%
  2. 9

23.0%
  3. 8

25.7%
  4. 7

13.5%
  5. 6

15.5%
  6. 5

4.7%
  7. 4

2.0%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought everything about Tatooine was used really well here, from the fading glory of the cantina to the stunning vistas of the desert as the Mando and the Noob flew over them. Figures after being featured so prominently in Chapter 2 we wouldn't see any Jawas here. But the stealth hello from the Tuskens was great, and yes nice to see someone actually show them some respect.

Ming-Na was great, despite this apparently being her only appearance; she poured a lot of cunning and menace into her little speech to the Noob. As for the Stranger, I wonder if it was the person she was trying to meet in Mos Espa. And if it is Boba or Vanth, I bet they might not appear again this season, save maybe as a tease for season 2. Moff Gideon will probably round out the major villain role for the finale.

Also Amy Sedaris is a saint and was great at telling off the Mando for being a crap dad. Nice contrast to how warm Omera was; I guess that's the Tatooine edge in her.
    I said when the show began it reminds me of Cowboy Bebop, and as it's gone on that parallel has become more apparent, with a main plot propelling things forward, but also with singular episodes doing their own thing along the way, letting the Mando get into new and crazy situations each week.

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I liked it a lot less than Episode 4. Agree with the previous poster. It doesn't move the season arc at all. We've already established that Mando is an awkward child caregiver. We've established that Mando and yodababy are in constant danger from the GFFA bounty hunter community. This episode was little more than going down a checklist of Star Wars PT/OT memorabilia, though I did like seeing Ming-Na Wen. But mostly it was just a weak story barely registering any kind of a plot.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  3. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I’ve been saying for a while that the end of season cliffhanger would be
    a Boba reveal

This episode brought that idea a bit closer.

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    He looked like the kid of a detergent powder advertising spot. The one who's clumsy and stains his clothes with ketchup, but the mother has Tide, and they will smell again like fresh lavender after 30 minutes.

I'm not sure why in Hollywood we keep seeing this clean pretty looking uninteresting dudes.

5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    My take is that The Mandalorian isn't trying to tell a big, complicated narrative so it makes sense that we get these episodes that don't move the narrative forward that much. There's not much of a narrative to tell. That's not a ding on the show. Not every story needs to be epic in scope.

What's to tell? What's the Mando's goal? I suppose it's to find a place for Baby Yoda to be safe and...that's kinda the end of the narrative, right? Yeah one could argue that there are themes about parenthood and the Mando trying to find his place in the galaxy and there are questions about identity but the nuts and bolts of the show are, "make sure Baby Yoda is safe", so it's no surprise to me that we're getting these small stories that don't move forward a lot.

6. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I will say I disagree we really don't know the narrative point of the story yet. the immediate one would be I guess find a place for baby Yoda???? but it seems the mandalorian's overarching goal is to get his tribe back in power and become a true Mandalorian, but we haven't seen them either for two episodes. I think the show is still trying to find out what it really wants to be

7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    All of this, plus, if there's anything that we must have learned from Filoni both from TCW and Rebels, is that he sets up everything in Season 1 to the smallest detail, makes us slowly fall in love with the main characters, sets the state of affairs in the Galaxy, and then raises the stakes, while leading to a much larger and lore-rich storyline in following seasons.

Having said that, we can't be sure about the amount of Filoni's involvement, but I suspect he and Favreau have worked together a lot, and will probably work more in the future, if the show is going to have 3-4 seasons (or more?)

When Disney announced TV shows, I always presumed they will be one-season thematic shows. But now I can the see the potential of this "fully operation battle station". If what happened with TCW and Rebels happens with The Mandalorian too, then we are in for some amazing treats in the future. With the possibility of many important cameos or even the re-introduction of many beloved characters. I somehow think that in subsequent seasons we will see Ahsoka, Ezra, Thrawn and who knows who else. Only then, will people realize the power of the Filoni side (the excitement about this show has opened up my cheesiest geekiest nerdiest self to the maximum).

[​IMG]

8. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    Guess I was the only one who didn't like it? Maybe I just don't like Filoni's style but the entire episode was very predictable and the acting and dialogue was by far the worst of any episode. I really liked episodes 2 through 4.

Christopher Blair likes this.
  9. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    No I would say it's about 50/50 on this episode the professional reviews also have not been very positive either IGN gave it like a 5 out of 10

yodasoda2187 likes this.
  10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Hmm, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that I don't think we know what the narrative is yet because I think I do know what the narrative is, i.e. protect Baby-Yoda.

But yeah beyond that with every mention of how the mandalorians are practically an endangered species that remain in hiding it does seem like they are setting up the idea that the mandalorian are going to come out of the shadows and make a comeback at some point but I don't know that they're going to get to that in three episodes. That's some big picture stuff that they might flesh out in season two.

11. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    That is what I'm saying it could be keep baby Yoda safe and raise him.it could be find baby yoda a home or it could ultimately be find out why the Empire is so interested in getting baby Yoda in the first place. Yoda's plot line to me has not truly been revealed yet. Either way I think that's only one plot line and the ultimate plot line is the Mandalorian himself and his race of people. Or at least it was until baby Yoda got so popular that they might shift the focus.

By the way if we're talkin about big-picture stuff then we are talking about a Game of Thrones type show and not a one-off episode every week type show

12. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    Should’ve just named the kid Dash Rendar and called it a day.

Sarge likes this.
  13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Good enough, but I'm continually wary of all the surface nostalgia elements, which this chapter was drenched in. Enjoyed the pit droids and swoops though.

14. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I enjoyed the episode, but we're reaching a point where the quality of the show is not equal to the sum of its parts. Each episode is too isolated. There needs to be more unification, so hopefully the next three episodes start looping everything together.

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I get what you’re saying, but to be fair, both this and the last episode did link back to what happened in chapter 3, and the Mando and Yodaling being targets. Though 4 and 5 are essentially the same, in that regard, so I can see why some fans are anxious to connect back to the Imperial remnant/ Guild/ Mando Enclave story. Given who’s directing the next three, I think we’re in for a dramatic and satisfying close, though. And in retrospect, these past two episodes will feel like refreshing breathers.

16. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    They link back in the sense that logically follow those events. But they don't link in any way that adds depth or intrigue to protagonist/antagonist dynamic. I felt the same way about the 2nd episode. Only Chapter 1 and Chapter 3 feel connected.

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, but when you have the cinematic (and symbolic brilliance) of episode 2 -especially regarding the egg quest and how it sets up the Mando’s decision to deliver the Yodaling in his cracked egg in episode 3 - that disconnect with the main antagonists really isn’t an issue. Like, at all. My issue with chapters 4 and 5, which I still like a lot, is they’re simply not cinematically even close to episode 2, which heightens the feeling of aimlessness. That said, I have a feeling all 8 episodes will tie together really well by the end. At least, impressionistically. But I do see this show as functioning very differently from most shows and action films. It really is more about the Mando and his child than it is about the Mando and his enemies. And so I don’t see these episodes as wheel-spinning.

Generational Fan likes this.
  18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    So what evidence do we have that it was Boba? personally i really do not think that will end up Boba Fett. id like to be wrong. but... i just do not see it.

Avnar likes this.
  19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Chapter 2 was actually very important, since it builds the bond between Mando and BY which prepares us to Mando's decision in Chapter 3. Moreover, it shows BY using the Force for the first time.

20. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I'm going with Jann Torvolta.

I love her mechanic character. There was a bit of Ellen Ripley, but mostly Carla Tortelli..... not just because of the hair, but some of her attitude.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I like that the Mos Eisley population looked visually different now that Jabba was gone. It wasn't so crowded. The scum and villainy element weren't patrons at the Cantina.

22. Christopher Blair

Dec 23, 2015
    Which i hope happens again soon. Baby yoda needs more character development or we need another core cast member. I think the show made a big mistake by not bringing nick nolte's character along for the ride. His dynamic with the mechanic in this episode could have brought some good humor and develipment to those scenes, and to the show as a whole.

23. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Well, I didn't get what I knew better than to hope for in the episode, but it was still very well done. Recreating the streets of Tatooine and the entrance/interior of the Cantina was amazing. The 'twist' was kind of predictable, probably my only issue with this episode. That end reveal really wasn't a reveal, though. More of a hint; and realistically could be many different people. I think the big B everyone seems to think that person is has the highest probability, though.

I'd go 8.5ish/10. I do agree with some that would like to see the plot start really churning soon. There's only 3 half hourish episodes left! And I'd like to see more tying in to ongoing stuff in the Galaxy. Maybe not an episode in the core, but news on TVs and such.

24. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    I loved the episode. So far, only one episode of this series has scored less than a 9/10 for me (Chapter 4 scored 8.5). This one, for story scores a 9, for nostalgia and 11, so a total of 10! :D

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Hmm, I felt the opposite in terms of population, especially given all the celebrating that happened at the end of ROTJ. It felt weird to see the streets so empty.