main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.02 - Chapter 10 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 5, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

3.7%
  2. 9

8.3%
  3. 8

34.9%
  4. 7

28.4%
  5. 6

12.8%
  6. 5

6.4%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1.8%
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    It moved story in a way that Mando must deliver the frog lady to her husband and he guides him to the other mandalorians, probaly nest episode is at the fish port and he takes the fish boat. Also the spiders looked great with the volume.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    my kind of scum and Jolee Bindo like this.
  2. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    took the words right out of my mouth.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I will also remind people with Filoni around there is no such thing as a filler episode. Just remember the space whales.

4. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020
    Otherwise I liked the
    "May the force be with you" of Djarin
    ... This shows that this sentence is said without necessarily understanding the meaning

5. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I liked the latest Chapter for its world-building. Sure, the ice planet can simply be viewed from the viewpoint its just another Hoth, but its still its own place and I enjoy this alien environment. And speaking of Alien, I liked the latest Chapter's nod towards Alien with the shape of those eggs and how they were group in those little rows. Whilst it wasn't the same egg layout and they were spiders, it reminded me of Alien in their appearance.

The world-building was further enhanced with new creatures; the insect at the Cantina, frog-lady and that Jawa-like robot that tried to collect The Child.

And one small detail that I really enjoyed was the look on the Navi-computer. I've seen Solo, etc punch in coordinates, but I've never seen it literally being drawn out on the screen. I like how it isn't a straight line and you have to curl around this planet and that planet. It gives me greater appreciation for Solo's line about how its not like dusting crops and you could fly through a Supanova. The computer needs to calculate various trajectories and distances to travel through hyperspace.

Sure, it was not as exciting as other Chapters, but the world-building was a feature.

One thing I didn't like was "Dave Filoni X-Wing Everywhere". Come on Dave, I know its your show, but please don't get bogged down with always being the X-Wing pilot. Surely there are more than just a handful of X-Wing pilots in the New Republic and they can't be everywhere; ie. you Dave.

I find it really exciting though that most of the footage that had been in the trailers leading up to the show have now featured in the first 2 Chapters. This means that there is now going to be plenty of unseen footage coming up.

Gallandro007 likes this.
  6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Not surprised that people were hoping for an episode more connected to the overall arc of finding Mando’s and reconnecting the child with its people.

Despite that I liked the episode a lot. I’m a sucker for monster of the week and spiders give me the heeby-jeebies so it was great. From the trailer we can tell it’s a lead in for the next episode on the water world and I’m okay with that.

I kind of get why they’re continuing the chapter numbers instead of resetting in that it feels more like a chapter to the overall show instead of just this season if that makes sense.

I liked the egg gag with baby Yoda. I didn’t get the impression the it was the last of the species just that that particular alien was reaching the end of its period of being able to produce viable offspring. If she’s like lizards/amphibians she’s probably had numerous broods previously so I wasn’t that phased by it.

While it may feel like filler now who knows what might become important down the track. Last season there were the complaints that episodes 4-6 were filler but each of those episodes laid the groundwork for future episodes - Cara coming back in episodes 7 and 8 (with more to come), Pelli Motto and Mando’s familiarity with the sand people, his interactions with the NR saving him from the spiders in tonight’s episode. I guess what I’m saying is this particular jaunt may have implications later down the track. While not a given it’s a possibility.

I’d also like to say that I’m also glad the ice planet was illum as it didn’t make sense given the Empire should’ve stripped it bare at this stage of the timeline. Likewise glad next episode won’t be the Ocean Dunes of Karnak. Mostly because new is better and it’s fun to have references that are just that - left to the imagination. It’s a big galaxy and I like that idea that we don’t need every reference paid off.

Final thoughts - while not my favourite episode it was solid. If memory serves correctly we’ve only seen 4 shots from the water world and an additional one we can assume is from next episode.

- Razorcrest limping to the planet Trask
    - the sweeping shot of the boat
    - Mando and the child looking out from the boat
    - Mando, the child and Frog lady at the port.
    - Mando seeing shadowy figure disappear

All in all not much revealed but lots of expectations!

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I watched the new episode.
    It was an episode.
    I watched it.

8. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    One thing that this latest Chapter serves to me is a timely reminder that you cannot have 6 seasons of Din and The Child just cruising around the galaxy - as these (this Chapter) are the kind of Chapters you will see in 6 seasons time. It will simply be the latest Chapter of Din and The Child escaping the latest threat. As mentioned before, I enjoyed the latest Chapter for what it offered, but it certainly rates at the lower end of the Spectrum of my favourite Chapters.

And this is where so many TV shows, IMO, just lose their magic after 4 or so seasons. They just get bogged down in hashing out the same type of story in a different way.

They have to have meaning; it all has to lead to a point. Don't get me wrong, I love The Child and I found his latest mannerisms in what he did and how he looked at "Dad" as endearing as ever. He is really cute and adorable.... but not six seasons cute and adorable because the magic begins to lose its shine. And IMO, it wouldn't do good for Din's character arc, nor The Child's.

There is still a lot left to unfold between the two and there is still the "Dadda" moment when The Child speaks its first words. But for me, The Child needs to go to Ahsoka at the end of this season to be trained in the ways of the Force. Its the next step of progression in The Child's character arc and it free's up Din's character journey to progress to something new. For me, its how to keep a television show interesting and not get bogged down with the same stories season after season.

But in the meantime, I'm really enjoying the relationship between "Father" and "Son".

RetropME likes this.
  9. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    This was a very weak episode. Probably the weakest in the whole series so far for me.

The visuals were pretty and there were some nice designs, but overall, this was a textbook filler episode if I ever seen one. All the story stuff in this episode could have been condensed to 10 min tops. And when a show has only 8 episodes a season and they're not even hour long, there really shouldn't be a single minute wasted on pointless filler.

I liked the bounty hunter attack in the beginning of the episode and the look of the spiders, but that's pretty much it.

It was nice to see old school X-Wings again, but they didn't do much. And I didn't find the bits where the Child was eating the eggs funny at all. These are eggs of a sentient species, not to mention the desperate mother.

And no Boba Fett as expected. I wouldn't be surprised if we won't see him again in this show.

5/10

10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Felt like a filler episode to me.
    From the initial attack in the desert to taking off the ice planet most of this episode could have been done away with. Mando could have just gone into the cantina paid for the info on where the others were and moved on. That scene and Mando going to the next planet could have just been the beginning of the next episode.

Baby Yoda eating the eggs is wrong to me....if they were not of a sentient species I might have found it funny...but they were so it just did not go over well for me.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  11. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    Loved it on first viewing.

Better paced than eps 9

Genuine laugh out loud moments:.

The little Alien (same species in TFA?) getting remote controlled off the jetpack .
    Amy Sedaris voice as she broke into speak frog!
    Baby Yoda scoffing down the eggs
    The jumping frog... oh my

You cant beat the end of episode 9 of course but Star Wars is supposed to be full of weird aliens so this was a great little episode...

Also nice to see Mos Eisley looking a little busier!

8 out of 10

12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well it was going to be hard to top last week's episode....

Still found this entertaining and the spider-things were super creepy. Wouldn't say I was disappointed but it probably ranks at or near the bottom of my favorite episodes so far.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I seem to hear march of the resistance somewhere in this episode. also a sequel trilogy specie was in this epiosde.

dinnertime likes this.
  14. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This is a world-building episode. I would not worry about the pacing for the season as of course this was planned in advance and they had the time to go slower.
    Probably events of this episode will be referenced again in the future, and I think the same will happen to that village in season 1 that Mando helped to save from the AT-ST.

BookExogorth and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  15. Kowakian Kebab

Kowakian Kebab Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 5, 2020
    Not my favourite episode but still enjoyable. Nailing the bounty hunter with the jet pack was class and am always happy to see an X-Wing. Spiders in a cave reminded me of KoTR and while it would have been nice to see a kyber crystal or two it would have been too outragous a coincidence. Sets up nicely for the water world and the lovely Sasha Banks being all mysterious. Also learnt a growing Baby Yoda needs plenty of calories.

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Weakest episode of the series for me. Did have some positive things though. The X-Wing chase looked good, I enjoyed some of the music cues (different than the usual western vibe stuff) and some good Baby Yoda stuff. Happy we're off Tatooine but we get another somewhat monster story, which I think they've hit their quota for now. 5/10.

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Just seen it and I will never see it again. Bland boring by the numbers stuff. God's I wish Lucas was back in charge. At least we'd get an actual story being told, not this. Bear in mind this is only the 2nd episode. The days of exciting Starwars content are long gone.
    4/10

Chris0013 likes this.
  18. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I kinda have a problem with that.

In the first season he seemed to be completely ignorant about the Force. Ignorant even about the existence of the word Force. But now he can say that. For obvious reason, as a master criminal he had to have knowledge about the meaning of the Force for the Rebels/New Republic 'cause simply is basic study of your adversarie and his strenghs and weakness. So the moment he seems to know something about Rebels/New Republic beliefs and at the same time has a possession of a being that can choke people with his mind, such a smart criminal as Djin such be able to add things and figure out what the Child. Or at least the Child potential. He probably shouldn't use a baby to kill people like Billy Brute did in THE Boys season one, but at this point he had to figure out better the consequences of have a being like Baby Yoda around.

19. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    Wasn’t one of my favorites but found it entertaining enough. Really dug the horror vibe of the spider sequence. I generally like the show’s 50/50 split between “story” episodes and one-offs for world-building purposes, but I’m ready to get back to the Empire plot line. There was nothing about the episode that I actively dislike, but it didn’t pull me in the way last week’s did.

A fun, solidly rewatchable 6.5/10

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I don't understand the over reaction of some people.

Anakin's Daddy likes this.
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Very much this. Monster attacks are an important part of SW, but in ten episodes we've had the walrus thing, the blurrg, the mudhorn, the pterodactyl things, the krayt dragon, and now the spiders. Not to mention that the AT-ST was treated like a monster rather than a vehicle. It's starting to get a bit repetitive.

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Very solid filler episode, I enjoyed it. I'd give it a 7/10, putting it in the ballpark of the prison break episode from season 1.

I thought the egg-eating was funny in a 'wtf' kind of way, but I may just be a sick person. It felt like the weird, kinda mean thing that would be relatively common in a galaxy as strange and rough around the edges as Star Wars' is. I like that this series gives us a chance to explore something as absolutely bonkers as "Can you fly me to this planet so my husband can fertilize my eggs?" "Sure, can you tell me where anyone else of my warrior race is?" "Maybe." "Awesome." It feels like the kind of wild side-story we'd get from one of the old EU comics, pre-TPM when they could only play around in the OT/slightly post-OT time period and just went nuts with it, and I like that. Enjoyed the frog alien, especially the little things they'd do to make her functionally a frog alien and not just visually, like the tongue or the hopping she did as they fled.

Also, I hate spiders. I didn't just hate them, I am highly arachnophobic, so that chase sequence all the way up to them making it to the cockpit was a nightmare for me. No exaggeration, I barely breathed the entire time.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the mechanic lady, who Wookieepedia tells me is named Peli. I don't dislike the character, she actually reminds me remarkably of my Aunt Marge, but the actress consistently feels like she's intentionally overacting and it does not fit the tone of the rest of the show. Between the character design (that Ellen Ripley hair) and the over-the-top personality and delivery, she feels like the kind of character that would have been added to a Star Wars TV series in '78, with only ANH a frame of reference. I don't want to go so far as to say she feels like she'd fit into the Holiday Special more comfortably than here, but I will stop just short of saying so. Again, I don't hate her or anything, but I also wouldn't be upset if we never saw or again.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

It seems like we could have a connection to the premiere.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think the way she protectively covered the egg jar at the end indicated she realized some were missing and she suspected BY.

25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Something to remember about The Mandalorian. its basically an old serial western. and old serial westerns were different stories of the week.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.