main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.02 - Chapter 10 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 5, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

3.7%
  2. 9

8.3%
  3. 8

34.9%
  4. 7

28.4%
  5. 6

12.8%
  6. 5

6.4%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

1.8%
  1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Spiders were wild.
    And Baby Yoda is a monster.

2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Setting up the Big Bad for Ep 10-12

Bor Mullet and GregMcP like this.
  3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    It will remain to be seen how this episode fairs in the context of the whole season. As I said previously episodes 4-6 last season seemed fairly inconsequential at the time but paid off in later episodes.

I think we can assume the next two episodes should be more heavily linked to the main plot. Mando will be tracking down Mando’s on Trask and that Sasha Banks character is spying on him. Could still technically end up similar to episode one in that it’s bookended by the overall arc but the meat of the story is something else.

Similarly If the following episode is the return to Navarro I think that bodes well for being focused on Gideon given the Empires presence in the trailers. I’m curious what revelations in next weeks episode could prompt Mando to return to his allies on Navarro.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  4. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I wouldn't say so. There were hordes of the spiders which are understandably much faster than a huge dragon-like creature, and standing your ground would only result in being completely overwhelmed and quickly killed off. Odd criticism to be honest.

Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Episode 4 introduce Cara Dune...That's pretty consequential!

People gotta learn to see everything in a grander tapestry regardless of direct consequences.

Long game...Long game.

6. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    Innit, the episode i was dreading the most..... I really struggled to play Fallen Order because of this reason LOL

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Eh, I didn't care too much for this episode, tbh. IMO it was more filler than anything else. Mando is a certified taxi driver just so he can (maybe) find another Mandalorian on some offbeat planet.

A few things of note:
    - What species is "Dr. Mandible", and what species was that froglike passenger? As I've said in the past, the franchise always seems to bring in new and unidentified aliens in its various media. Not really a complaint; just curious.

- Was Mando's ship such a threat that the New Republic scouts in their X-wings were going to shoot him down? They seemed a little over-aggressive to me.

- It was kind that throughout the entire ordeal, the froglike mother had no idea that Yoda Jr. was eating her eggs. She didn't realize some of them were missing? Guess they weren't as valuable as she was suggesting.

- In those last 10 minutes, Mando actually flies his ship out of the pit until the giant spider creature jumps on it and they crash back down. My question is, how come he couldn't have lifted off earlier; before they even entangled with the creatures in the first place?

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Amen to that

9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think for many folk, the episode could have been saved if it was exactly the same, but at the very end Ahsoka stepped out of the cave and watched the Razorcrest fly away as the music swelled up.

"Plot Development!".
    And the people were happy and made many YouTubes.

10. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Regarding some points you made -

Did the X-Wings actually fire on the Razor? Will have to rewatch but I think that while they did lock s-foils they never actually shot at Mando and were more interested in him coming peacefully rather than shooting him out of the sky. I think at most they would’ve tried to disable his ship. Someone else mentioned that maybe the NR is a little aggressive to show they mean business so it’s entirely possible they would’ve shot him down but I’m leaning towards the disable over destroy option.

As for why the razor couldn’t take off before the spiders showed up I think that came down to timing. That whole sequence begins Mando doing repairs with no obvious signs of danger. The child leads him to the pool and the spider sequence occurs forcing them to take their chances with the repairs that had been done. My feelings are if Mando hadn’t been interrupted with his repairs they very well might have taken off without incident.

I think both the Mandible creature and frog one were featured in chapter 5 although no idea if they’re the same individuals. For some reason the mandible creature Struck me as something out of the cantina scene in ANH whereas the frog seemed out of a TCW episode. I’m a fan of bringing in new species so long as it’s a healthy mix of old and new so it feels rooted in the same universe. I liked the inclusion of the Weequay last episode and there were a couple of aliens from R1 in this one as well. So long as there’s a healthy balance I’m happy. One of my favourite scenes from this episode was when the razor went into free fall and the frog lady was freakin out. It was so comical with her reaction to holding on for dear life got a good chuckle out of me.

I think the mother did know the child was eating the spawn mostly because she became overly protective in the final scene when the child was eyeing off the canister.

I will say I was briefly hopeful that it was actually Boba that had come to save the day. I don’t know why especially given I want him to remain an antagonist to Mando. It was a little disappointing that it was the NR but it made sense given they were followed him down there and were obviously looking for him.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  11. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I thought it might end right after the New Republic guys left. Then when it kept going with Mando and co. taking off, I thought they might get to Trask and there'd be some hook there to end the episode.

12. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Many folks think plot development only means changes in external events. But exploring character, the internal aspect of plot, is also an essential and often underappreciated means of development.

Plot-wise, I think this episode did a lot for Baby Yoda. His carnivorous appetite is both surprising and potentially problematic, perhaps even a road to the darkside.

13. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Yoda species responsible for the frog-people species near extinction CONFIRMED.

14. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This was one of my favorite episodes yet, it was full of so many geniune conversations, it was a nice small adventure and I can't wait to see where it goes next. :D

It also seems like a surprising amount of people completely misunderstanding the meaning of the term ''filler episode'' [face_thinking]

15. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Also slightly disappointed we didn’t get the clichéd line of “that could’ve been worse” as the Razor skidded to a stop on the surface before plummeting to the ice cavern below.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    * Wasn't Illum

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "The Passenger" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.​

18. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I have seen this mentioned earlier, and I know it's only a joke but it was just the last of her family line, not the entire species that that were floating in the tank.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Yes I meant that but ran out of time to edit.

Yeah people really misread that and thought it was a cruel horrific joke. Eating the spawn of another species is something that happens every day. I thought it was hilarious.

Bor Mullet and choccy like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Gave it a 6/10. Wasn't overly thrilled at this episode.

whostheBossk and dick rodgers like this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I give it a 7, i enjoyed the episode and Baby Yoda.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Overall... I liked this pretty good for what it is. 7/10.

Yes, I think it’s mostly something between filler and one of those nice-for-internal-development-but-not-neccessary episodes. Having said that, it’s filler elements were more entertaining to me than some of the other such episodes we’ve had, and this one feels like it was making a statement about how superior they’re visual effects are compared to even most movies.

The biggest issue with the episode is one of comparison and momentum; longtime Star Wars fans recognize Boba Fett, they want to see more Boba Fett, and this episode isn’t doing anything with Boba Fett beyond his armor, and in comparison to last seasons rather tight and well crafted “opening trilogy” of episodes, the second episode feels more distanced from what the season’s main plot may be (for now.)

This is basically a good entry for an “adventure of the week” show, but for now, it doesn’t seem to be a very significant entry for the “serialized adventure story” show. Getting that mixture right can be difficult, and it’s not a problem wholly alien to the Mandalorian. And in the day and age of binge watching it may be something of a questionable mixture to go for.

23. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    With each Chapter, it is clear that subtle changes are occurring in The Child. I noticed it last week with how excited / intrigued he was with the fight club scene at the start, as well the enjoyment on his face with the Speeder Bike ride.

This week, its his consumption of things (regardless if its wrong) and him "learning" through observation from his father; ie. Din welding the Razorcrest back together.

Mostly it could be said that its just a toddler learning from their parent and simply has that child-like fascination and intrigue with the galaxy around him - the real world equivalent of a baby / child eating a crayon, etc. The more he learns and experiences, the more he grows... that sort of thing.

But lets say for one moment that he does become a dark Jedi down the track. Then its interesting how a series of small, in-consequential events can mount up over time in taking someone down a dark path; and this is without the influences of others who are really evil.

Din's not doing anything wrong, he is protecting The Child and trying to get him back to his own kind. But experiences along the way are helping to form who The Child is and potentially, who The Child will become.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    That's what I gave it too, watched the episode again and I like it more a second time. Still not my favorite episode but the utter weirdness of it all definitely helps it be more memorable. I also like how Baby Yoda eating the eggs makes him not as sweet and innocent as he may seem. Plus I love when Star Wars goes all gross, weird and dark with it's humor sometimes.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Also the frog eggs are not yet babies, but he killed a spider baby. and lets not forget he ate a frog last seasoon.