main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.03 - Chapter 11 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 12, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 20, 2020.
  1. 10

31.6%
  2. 9

36.0%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

6.6%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Wasn't Pre Vizsla the only one to do that?

2. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Yes, and I'd like to not see that again (I didn't mind his first fight against Obi-Wan where it was pretty clear that he was outclassed by a Jedi Master, but he actually gave Maul some trouble which I don't buy).

To be clear I don't have an issue with Mandalorians using technology like the jetpack, grenades, flamethrower etc to fight Jedi using distance, disruption, and unpredictability, but I do struggle to understand how a person who has the supernatural reflexes and hand-eye coordination to deflect blaster bolts directly back at an attacker with a weapon the width of a broom handle can be challenged in a sword fight by an ordinary human.

Vizsla uses his Mandalorian gadgets in his fight with Maul but there are also several sections where he directly engages Maul in melee combat and almost succeeds.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  3. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Anyone notice there are three different kinds of frog aliens in Star Wars?

There’s the Lurker, which is a nonsentient frog alien with a poisonous bite in Poe Dameron Free Fall

Then there’s normal frogs in the Mandalorian

Then there are frog people also in the Mandalorian

Either the Disney/LF really likes frogs, or they forgot about the Lurkers in Free Fall and the normal frogs in The Mandalorian (or don’t know about the Lurkers).

4. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I was going to bring up Cad Bane and Jango Fett but then I realized you were specifically talking about lightsaber fights.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    On the Maul lightsaber fight i think Maul wanted to fight honrable and give Pre Viszla a fighting chance he didn't use all his skills, h let the fight be over drawn to make it seem he could be defeated so he could take over death watch and they respect him.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    So last episode my favorite extra was Dr. Mandible, now for this episode it's the Mon Cal with the killer sweater.

[​IMG]

7. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Haha when I saw him I also thought "wow nice sweater, I'd definitely wear that"

rocknroll41 and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

To me she seems like how she was in Rebels maybe more aged a little.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I think they nailed it with her character in live action. They could've bastardized her character's looks a la Masters of the Universe. I'm looking forward to more scenes involving her.

10. SG-17

SG-17 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2017
    Ashoka should recognize the Child as Yoda's species. I really hope that they do meet next episode.

Darkslayer and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  11. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    10. Nothing less. My favorite episode of The Mandalorian so far.

Cant wait to watch it for a 5th time later tonight.

12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I’ve never seen Rebels or Clone Wars and yet this was still my favorite episode of the series.

Now I wish the show would drop the Mando quest story and focus on Bo-Katan’s story.

On a side note there’s no way this show ends with Mando leaving the child with a stranger just because they’re a Jedi.

Mando’s quest is a false premise right? The show is really about Mando’s relationship with the child. It’s about people from different walks of life coming together and becoming family regardless of how different they are.

The show isn’t really about the child being left with the Jedi who don’t amount to a hill of beans after ROTJ according to the ST which therefore underlines that Baby Yoda isn’t going to play an instrumental roll in bringing the Jedi back anytime soon.

Then again it would be awesome if the next movies completely skipped p over the ST by a few hundred years and we do see an adult baby Yoda playing a major Jedi roll.

13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Awesome episode, they're finally letting the story take off in big ways, and it's very intriguing. I guess I'll give it a 9, but might be closer to 9.5, the only thing it was missing was a really epic "wow" moment like IG-11 going haam in chapter 1, or Cobb and Mando flying up the dragon's head in 9. But it was great, definitely the kind of EU material I'd been hoping for.

The good:
    • Sackhoff was awesome as Bo Katan, fills the costume to a tee. I've been somewhat skeptical of Dawson's casting for Ahsoka up to now, but seeing them take an important character conversion seriously and pull it off is reassuring. The choreography for her fight was awesome, that flying double kick owned
    • The heist for the Gozanti was well constructed, and I imagine it looked awesome on a big screen. Felt really BIG whenever it was flying around, on par with the quality of the train heist in Solo
    • Very nice little epilogue for Frog Lady, and a surprisingly fresh gag for Baby Yoda: slimy thing smacks him in face
    • Much intrigue and mystery surrounding Mando's clan. Are they remnants of Deathwatch, or something even grimmer? Is this going to tie the old EU Mandalorians to the TCW ones, the "old ways"? Bo questing for the Darksaber to reclaim Mandalore is an exciting setup, even if it's old territory for her. She doesn't seem to have much of an army though, maybe the quest is doomed?
    The bad
    • I think they could have made Water World a tad more exotic, or at least a bit more colorful. Didn't feel memorable like other landscapes of the series.
    The amusingly ironic
    • Thinking about the retroactively ironic hilarity of all the times fans have earnestly employed "this is the way" to confirm they are correct

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think she looked great. However, I have to ask, how old would she actually be?

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    My bet is 48-50.

Glitterstimm and Krueger like this.
  16. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    What's interesting, is that Mando is in a similar trajectory as Ahsoka was in TCW, "I'm not a real Jedi/Mandalorian and I don't want to be, I didn't know what I was signing up for." She'll have some perspective on what he's going through.

Bacta facials take a few years off

dinnertime likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well that kind of goes back to my question regarding the Quarrens and Mon Calomari all together on the planet; seemingly living on the surface no less. You obviously equate those two species as being from a Water World; but I'm not sure if there was a particular reason as to why you don't see any of them in the water. Could be something as simple as they figured the story was about the Mandalorians; and if there's significant water scenes that'd just distract from the main agenda. You want to see the Mandalorians flying; not swimming.

Count Yubnub and Glitterstimm like this.
  18. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I know I’ll get ripped for this but the second season is starting to feel like the first act of the Rise of Skywalker. Lost of planet hopping to find people/things but no actual plot. The show is starting to lose me a little.

19. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    I think underwater stages are way outside of this show's budget.

As to the Calamari/Quarren harmony, my guess is that some kind of peace emerged between them after the Galactic Civil War. Although it seems the bartender was a bad dude, set up Mando to get ambushed. Wonder if Mando got some payback after returning to town?

Personally, I don't mind the slow pace macguffin plot because it's meant for television, but I can sympathize. It's hard to get interested in a show when there's very little story progression and the main character is a special effect.

20. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Yeah, Baby Yoda ages slowly so I don't think he's ready to Jedi until after the ST.

What's going to happen with Ahsoka is fairly clear, in my view. She's not technically a Jedi anymore, so she will likely pass on training Baby Yoda, or Din himself may pass on handing him over to her. I expect her to explain that the Jedi are gone, or that only one is left, Luke Skywalker, and that Din needs to try to find Luke. Then the quest will shift in that direction -- however, before Din can search for Luke, Moff Gideon will step in and try to take the Child.

Another possibility is that Din does try to leave the Child with Ahsoka, but Gideon intervenes.

Now what the ST/NEU has told us about Luke, sadly, tragically, and boringly, is that he doesn't try to start the Jedi Order for some time but instead researches Jedi lore for years. So even if Din finds Luke at some point, Luke likely says he's not ready yet, to return at some point once he's ready to train Jedi.

So because Gideon is likely to block the Child's safe delivery to Ahsoka or Luke, he'll need to be taken care of for now, and this of course leads us right back to the Mandalorian conflict with Gideon and Bo-Katan.

Therefore I expect the next couple of seasons will focus on returning Mandalore to Mandalorian control, and the lead role Din will play.

Baby Yoda will remain with Din and Mandalorian culture, or possibly Ahsoka, until he's ready to be trained by Luke. Since that probably never happens, Baby Yoda could very well be part of Rey's future Jedi.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They even got the scar above her eye. The attention to detail is really incredible.

22. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Just saw the newest episode. Wonderful! Best episode of the entire show so far, for me. Bo-Katan looked perfect in live action!

My guess is that after Mando finally delivers Baby Yoda to Asohka he will shift his focus on helping Bo Katan take back Mandalore.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah I figured it may have something to do with the budget. But it didn't really take anything away from the episode itself.

Regarding the harmony between the two species, I thought that was already established during the Clone Wars.

[​IMG]

24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I really don't think he's going to wind up giving the Child to Ahsoka, honestly. Ahsoka is going to have her own thing going on, and will likely recognize that the Child's place is by Din's side. I will be very shocked if Din and the Child actually do wind up parting ways in the Ahsoka episode.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018