main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.03 - Chapter 11 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 12, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 20, 2020.
  1. 10

31.6%
  2. 9

36.0%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

6.6%
  5. 6

0.7%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This is too funny. Just before the episode aired, I posted the below, figuring that the helmet issue would be explained sometime in the show’s future, or in ancillary material. Didn’t expect it to be answered immediately in this episode (which was brilliant, by the way).

2. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    At first I was kind of annoyed how she just stretches the deal, but it kind of fits in perfectly with her character in TCW, like how she tries to manipulate Obi Wan into helping Mandalore by saying she thought he cared.

3. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Bo-Katan was Pre Vizsla's right hand woman and a part of Death Watch. Turns out they were the moderates.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  4. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Yes that is what I was thinking too. It will be a result from the Night of a Thousand Tears I'm sure.

BigAl6ft6 and TadoFett like this.
  5. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Like Chapter 9, this episode struck the perfect balance between rewatchable standalone story and larger serialized narrative. I just wish it were 5-10 minutes longer! But it's amazing how much they packed into a half-hour -- from world-building details to cute Baby Yoda moments to epic Mandalorian action.

Also, I always love seeing cuisine in the Star Wars universe and "face-hugger chowder" is a welcome addition.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I love, love, love that we’re getting layers of Mandalorian culture. We’re even getting Death Watch layers! The Children of the Watch are, it seems, an extremist sect of an already extremist Death Watch (of which Bo Katan was a part). And we haven’t even gotten into the other clan differences, etc. That’s some complex world-building right there. And part of the reason why I think the future of Star Wars is so squarely on TV. Streaming is the way.

7. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    This may be the best thing I've ever seen in Star Wars. Or anywhere. Just amazing.

8. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Oh my, what a chapter! As soon as you saw the title (The Heiress), you knew it would be Bo-Katan. But then seeing her in the flesh takes the excitement to a whole new level.

World-building ! World-building ! World-building ! So, so wonderful and so much of it. I loved this aspect even more than seeing Bo-Katan - and thats saying something.

First of all, you start with this fishing village / station on this water-planet and its filled with Mon Calamari and Quarren; all going about their daily lives. You seeing inside one of their eating houses, how their food is delivered and so on. Small things, but these are the finer details I adore. The vibe I get from this village is Fallout 4's Far Harbour. Once again, fabulous world-building that makes the Galaxy bigger and enriches it.

I like how the Quarren double-cross Din in wanting to get his armour. Beskar seems to be "prized" throughtout the Galaxy.

Then along comes Bo-Katan and she removes her helmet. Din is shocked and we get a brief taste in how some Mandalorians view their kind as opposed to how the Death Watch view it. Almost "religious" in the way each sees it in that you have hard core fanatics and those who believe a different way. I wonder if this brief exchange alludes to a future conflict and how Boba Fett will make a return to the show. Maybe Jango was Mandalorian after all, but his kind had another take on what it means to be Mandalorian. Just this brief exchange adds to the Mandalorian persona.

And then there are these Remnants of the Empire - more of them. They appear to be scattered throughout the galaxy and this plays back into the last Chapter with the X-Wing pilots needing to check for hidden Imperials in each ship. The Officer in charge mentions a fleet, so there is still problems for the New Republic 5 to 6 years after Return Of The Jedi. No wonder Mon Mothma, Leia, Han, etc had there hands full in trying to establish a new governing body. Not only was it to win over planetary systems finally free of Imperial oppression and some planets still remained loyal to the Empire's old ways of law and order, the New Republic had to also continue battling rogue Imperial fleets.

Definitely needs more viewings to capture everything.

And The Child's personality continues to grow and he appears to be getting closer to talking for the first time.

And then there is Ahsoka confirmed and coming up on a forest planet; yet another terrain type in Favreau's masterful season of world-building.

Thats what I take so dearly from this latest Chapter - more of this excellent world-building.

Snafu55, rumblewagon, avcpl and 19 others like this.
  9. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    I think it's pretty damn sweet that we're getting the Mandalorian fantasy so many of us have wanted for so long

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    “He’s one of them.” - Bo Katan

With one short, great line, Katee Sackoff ends one of the only lore controversies of the show. And starts a new phase of Din Djarin’s development into a wider world where...there are Mandos who don’t keep their buckets on! Massive confusion, and an identity crisis, is surely raging in his mind.

Din: “Armorer...why didn’t you tell me?”

11. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Best episode of the season thus far for me.

And so, as others have mentioned, some of the reasons why things are have been answered...

Din Djarin is a Child of the Watch, a cult of religious zealots. Now we know the reason behind the practice of not removing the helmet.

Sasha Banks is Koska Reeves, a new character.

And we now know where Ashoka Tano is, in the city of Calodan on the forest planet of Crovus. A new place.

And Bo-Katan.

And are we going to get to see Mandalore? In all it's Pablo Picasso Guernica glory? Or at least whatever it looks like now.

EDIT: Oh, and a 9 out 10.

Ashoka Tano's episode, which will probably be Episode 13, will get a 10.

12. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I mean, it was a really great episode with a pretty fantastic translation of Bo's armour, expansion of Mando lore, smoothing over seeming contradictions from the first season and all...

But I'm still just sitting here like "she has the boxy Mando blasters!"

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m on a real high at the moment, but I would like to get my only criticism out of the way, so I can focus on gushing: this episode was further proof that casting wrestlers and/ or MMA fighters wasn’t the show’s strongest decision... ;)

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    One little detail that I loved was that a Quarren was seasoning his food. It's such tiny details that really makes this show feel "real".

Also, Ahsoka is apparently on a planet called "Corvus". Corvus is a genus of birds to which, among others, ravens and crows belong. Just a fun fact.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I guess Dave Filoni has taken over the show now from Favreau.

Shame. It was something amazing.

Now its dumbed down, filled with Filoni Characters doing Filoni things, all highlighting how our main characters from Season 1 are no longer the main characters in their own story.

Sarge and Snafu55 like this.
  16. Jolee Bindo

Jan 5, 2016
    So we still don't know who Sasha Banks is - I'm really hoping she's not Sabine. This episode probably made her being Sabine less likely, can't see why she would hide from Bo-Katan

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m almost certain we’re going to see the owls. And Ahsoka the White living up in a tree somewhere. Major myth-imagery incoming.
    Huh? The Filoni character in this episode was explicitly utilized in service of Mando’s character development. He just learned that there is more than one Mando way. That’s massive. And the focus of the episode. And as the end of the episode makes clear, Mando is now moving on and leaving Bo Katan and co. behind. So that Filoni character is clearly not a main character. Nothing has changed. Just as in Rogue One, we simply got a character that fit the story that happens to also be from the existing canon. And in a show called The Mandalorian, it’s not a stretch at all. Whatsoever. It makes perfect world-building sense. Unless you’re determined to reject it simply because a character originated in the brain of a dude you don’t like.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    We'll get to wolves eventually

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This episode was written by Jon Favreau. Just like the previous two.

She's playing Koska Reeves.

20. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I also love the subtle humour of this show too.

"I paid you a thousand credit to fix the ship" Din says to the Mon Calamari engineer (or whatever he was) whilst observing the patch job to the Razorcrest.

The Mon Cal appears to look at Din in way that its like him shrugging his shoulders and saying " Whatever man".

One other thing to note was The Child's compassionate nature coming out as he played with the Frog people's new baby. That was natural and adorable and just how a human toddler is like; intrigued, fascinated, laughing and compassionate. And then dad comes and drags him away with him stretching out to bring the tadpole with him. I can't see a "dark side" Yoda now after this Chapter.

There is just so many fantastic layers to this show. Favreau, Filoni and co. just think of so much - not just Star Wars. The show is just brilliant.

21. Jolee Bindo

Jan 5, 2016
    She's playing Koska Reeves.[/QUOTE]

Are we sure about that? When I looked at the credits Sasha Banks wasn't listed (presumably to keep her identity a secret) - all I could see for Koska Reeves was a stunt double, which leads me to believe that Koska Reeves is the other female Mandalorian with Bo-Katan since Banks definitely did not need a stunt double here. I may be missing something though

JediMasterMark15 likes this.
  22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh I was kind of hoping Baby Yoda would try and swallow the frog baby

23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I like that Filoni and Favreau aren't even bothering to preserve the surprise at this point.

Let's face it the second Bo Katan appeared on screen we all pretty much knew Ahsoka would be next even without the whole 'I know a Jedi' tease.

I honestly think this was the best way to do it seeing as hardcore fans like us had already long worked out it was Ahsoka, Dinn was being sent after. Whereas, to casual audience, 'Ahsoka Tano' is just the name of the next new exotic character the Mandalorian is sure to meet next week.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This fun and all guys, but I just...have to go rewatch that again.

25. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    That was incredible. I love everything about that episode.

Tiny things such as the crane pulling the razorcrest out of the water, the quarren seasoning their food and just seeing the docks and boats made this world feel really individual and gritty.

As others have said, as soon as I saw ‘The Heiress‘ I pointed at the tele and said Bo Katan!!

I loved the way they ended all of the helmet debate with just one simple line.

One thing I’m really intrigued about is the Empire in all of this. It seems like Gideon has turned them into some form of Kamikaze warriors with the ‘long live the empire’ and attempting to plunge the ship into the ocean.

And last but not least, I know she’s been rumored very heavily and her voice was in TROS, but I can’t deny that I completely marked out hearing Ahsoka Tano’s name in live action... I’m SO EXCITED