main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.04 - Chapter 12 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 19, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 27, 2020.
  1. 10

11.8%
  2. 9

34.6%
  3. 8

31.5%
  4. 7

18.9%
  5. 6

2.4%
  6. 5

0.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    She's improved slightly, she's not just horrible anymore, but she still can't really emote well or sustain an emotion other than rah! I think she looks great in action scenes though, but overall I hope she dies soon and they bring in a better female co-star who can act a bit. The show needs some emotional depth from someone other than Mando, and Gina doesn't do it.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If those are clone troopers at the end I wonder if they’ll be Jango clones. Perhaps that’s how Boba Fett gets involved. Maybe he wants to stop the Empire from using his father’s DNA.

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The rumor I heard before the show even premiered was that it would show some of the origins of the First Order, so none of this surprises me at all.

4. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    That's a cool idea that would excite many fans.
    It also raises another possibility -- someone else we may know could be the template. Din????

5. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Clone Wars did that for the prequel trilogy, so I reckon what you say is a real possibility, Filoni is excellent at it.

6. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    If she only has 1-2 episodes per season from here on out I don't mind, but if they're going to keep using her as a major supporting character then yeah I'd agree.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  7. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I disagree. They have mentioned several times that Cara is from Alderaan and this episode shows that she lost everyone. Perhaps Gina's somewhat rigid demeanor is deliberate. Losing your family and homeworld only to then lose a bunch of friends in the war against the people who destroyed your homeworld, I would reckon that it is her coping mechanism after having lost so much in her life and all she has is her military training to help her from falling apart emotionally.

8. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Rewatching with subtitles and the teacher droid gives a Wookieepedia verified lesson of the various regions of the Galaxy in the background during BY’s antics. Pretty funny.

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    We're at the halfway point of the season now and Mando hasn't been written out of the show yet.

So I guess those rumours about Pascal storming off the set were a load of Bantha Poodo? (Not that I'm complaining)

10. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    The ending could set Ahsoka up for a little bit more than she probably wants.

You come here, bring that, and all of this other stuff?

Oh, and I guess all of the trailer footage is now used up. Everything from here on out is unknown.

11. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Even if the rumours were true it wouldn't exactly be a difficult job to replace him.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  12. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I don't think this plot has anything to do with Snoke or Palpatine. Or the First Order. These appear to be Force Troopers or Clones, and the First Order didn't use either.

It's not an acting style to be stiff all the time. But if you think it works for the character, great. It may to some degree, but it's all so flat and one-dimensional, it barely generates an emotional state at all, even a repressed one. But we can agree to disagree.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    my kind of scum likes this.
  13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The start made me laugh a lot. Loved it.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Of course they were. They came from notorious liar and alt-right clickbaiter Grace Randolph.

15. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    I hope they call Gideon's soldiers Dark Troopers or Shadow Troopers as a nod to Dark Forces/Jedi Knight (campy I know, but I think in a lot of ways this episode was very true to the camp of Star Wars 77). I don't know if it's just me but those games felt like a strong influence on this episode.

16. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I was wondering what they might call them. Dark Troopers is nice and simple. :)

RetropME, DarthKegs and Jolee Bindo like this.
  17. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
  18. Fandalorian

Fandalorian Jedi Master star 3

Apr 18, 2015
    Looked like an Arquitens [​IMG]

19. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    That Imperial officer lady looked like a female Daniel Logan.

I'm not sure about Carl Weathers as a director. Directing the talent was kind-of off, while also the direction of the action scenes through the halls and camera choices seemed unfocused. It did feel very ANH, though, or really like any 70s film.

Jaxxon-, TadoFett and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Yeah, I thought she was hot too.

So why were the Stormtroopers with the Client so dirty and yellowed if all of this was available just a half hour drive away?

Jaxxon- likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Positives.

First, the implications of this episode are clearly massive. Though a lot of what happened was suspected by many fans (BY’s genes being harvested by cloners for reasons regarding his force sensitivity, Gideon being an early part of the Final Order/ First Order project), clones, etc. All undoubtedly connected with Snoke and Palpatine in the end. While I don’t need that kind of connectivity, as with TCW, I’m finding that even these little bits have already improved the ST for me. So there’s that.

Second, I absolutely loved that opening scene with Mando having BY try to fix part of the ship, etc. And BY using the force for...filling his stomach again! Cookies! What kid can’t relate?

Third, Din’s Han Solo return was great.

Fourth, Greef’s accident report to the Rebel pilot was hilariously written and very true to life.

Lastly, I don’t know why, but having the Mythrol in an administrative job was really funny.

The negative.

That all said, I’m starting to feel the lack of the best directors of the series, Rick Famuyiwa and Deborah Chow. I know Rick’s supposed to direct a few episodes this season, so they may simply be saving his serious talents for the later and more consequential bits. But as much as I enjoyed this one, I felt the direction was really shabby, particularly for most of the base infiltration scene. And the acting from Carano is so bad. That scene with the Rebel pilot asking her to rejoin the fight could have been a classic one in the Star Wars franchise, and instead...we get the expressiveness of a He-Man action figure from Carano.

Directing-wise, apart from Howard’s episode last week, this season has been less artistically striking for me. Less sharp. So far nothing compared to Chapter 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8 from last season. This season somehow feels more mainstream blockbuster, if that makes sense.

Finally, I feel the lack of a character like Kuiil. Wise, empathetic, tough, good dialogue. Maybe Ahsoka will provide that going forward.

But overall, I’m generally very happy and looking forward to future episodes from Rick, Rodriguez and whoever else is supposed to be in the chair. Also Filoni next week (and Ahsoka!), though he makes me a tad nervous...

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I crossed my mind but, no, probably not
    Rae Sloane

Alien Vanguard, RetropME and TadoFett like this.
  23. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I can't remember: Were we ever told who had the Child in S1E1, or why he was even in that building on that planet. Did Moff Gideon's people already have him to put that tracker in and someone else freed him or was the Child already in one of Moff Gideon's group's hideouts? If so, why'd they need to put a bounty on him?
    Maybe that was just some ruse to make Nevarro think they're a poor/struggling Imperial remnant.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    It looked like him for sure. Which means they really are building to First Order /sigh

25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The stormtroopers with the dirty armor were The Client’s guard, not Gideon’s. Lower on the chain, local outpost, etc. All of Gideon’s crew were spit-and-polished.
    The least surprising thing we’ve learned in this show. Of course they are. And Favreau already hinted at it.