main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.04 - Chapter 12 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 19, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 27, 2020.
  1. 10

11.8%
  2. 9

34.6%
  3. 8

31.5%
  4. 7

18.9%
  5. 6

2.4%
  6. 5

0.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Directing-wise I thought this episode blew Chapter 6 out of the water. That one doesn't have much going for it IMO, while this episode was wonderfully directed.

Filoni doesn't make me nervous, but Rodriguez does. I find him to be a subpar director at best.

Jolee Bindo and Sproj like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m not a huge fan of Rodriguez either, but we haven’t seen anything from him in Star Wars yet. And Howard surprised me last week, so I’m mostly looking forward to being surprised. :)

But the tightness of the buildup and direction in season 1 chapter 6 were much better than this one, IMO. There was no buildup of tension, and then no real tension, in the action. Some of that is due to acting (Carano just drives me nuts), some due to writing, but some due to the staging of scenes. They drive a speeder up to a door, Greef yells hurry up to the Mythrol a hundred times, then Mando gets them in, then they run down corridors and shoot things, and then they drive a transport out of there. And lava. Compared to Mando’s slow (and scary) takedown of his bounty hunter betrayers, and the brilliant use of lighting and editing to achieve that effect, this episode had little to offer in that respect.

But...don’t get me wrong. I loved it. I’m just not feeling that controlled creative energy that I got from Famuyiwa and Chow. For the whole season, really. It’s all really good, but for me, a step down from season one.

The good news is that I expected that. Second seasons are notoriously not as good as firsts (Game of Thrones, the Wire, etc, etc). While third seasons are often just as good or better than the first. I think it’s because good shows get overly-excited about the reception of their first seasons, go overboard with popular elements in season two, and then perfect the formula in season three. Generally, I mean. Not always. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  3. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    It is a fair point and I reckon you are on to something. Clone Wars became really good around season 3 in my opinion and reached its peak in season 5 before that astonishing finale 4 parter.

Rebels end to season 2 was top shelf and then season 3 was a bit of a downer before another really good end to the season.

I really feel we've hit our season 2 groove now after the last episode and now this one. This one seemed to jump forward a lot further than I expected.

Bor Mullet and TadoFett like this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Solid 8/10 for me
    My weird theory:
    I would not be surprised if that clones are the early stages of Snoke and I think that the baddies will succeed in this season.
    What I am not so sure about is if the child ends up as midichlorian stock for the experiments or Ahsoka.

5. AzureOwl

AzureOwl Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    OK, so now we have confirmation that the Mon Cala mechanic from last episode was a hack.

Greef's guys had the Razor Crest as good as new in no time!

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, it did seem as if his heart wasn't in it. :p

7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I enjoyed this episode due mostly to wat it hints at and several set pieces. Other parts did not work as well for me.

Loved the opening, Cara’s reintroduction, the lab and finale sections.

To be honest I’d sort of completely forgot that we hadn’t really learnt what the Empire wanted with the child so it was good to continue that thread. I liked seeing Dr. Pershing again, even more so that he is very much on board with the program. I liked that it sort of turned his plea to Mando last season was rooted very much more in self preservation over actual care of the child. Super intrigued about what was going on with the lab and what Gideon is up to.

Was disappointed that the Armourer had moved on. She’d clearly finished her remaining work smelting down the fallen Mando armour. I’m still confidant we’ll see her again.

The other parts felt both rushed and a little unfocused. Aside from the lab scenes the rest of the base setup and infiltration just zoomed by and the hallway shootout felt very repetitive.

The mythrol felt unnecessary outside of having a character be loud and shocked. I would’ve been fine with just seeing him paying off his debt as an administrator.

Cara’s scene with Carson could’ve been touching but felt flat. It’ll be interesting to see if that develops any further.

I was so hopeful we were going to get a final shot of Ahsoka but was content with what we got. Hopefully it is a quick turnaround this week and Filoni and (fingers crossed) Ahsoka next week.

All that aside I’m very excited by the prospect of going into unknown territory given we have seen all the trailer footage. Overall I feel this season is doubling down on what made season 1 so good. Really really happy with it all so far. Hoping second half can really smash it out of the park.

8. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    Oh boy what an episode.

whostheBossk and Sproj like this.
  9. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I really liked what this episode set up and how it seems to be the bridge between the first 3 episodes and the rest of the season. My favorite thing this show does is that it shows us a side of the galaxy that is not directly connected to the main galactic politics and it does a great job of showing the vacuum left in the galaxy after the fall of the empire. The Imperial Remnant is exactly how I wish it was in the ST versus the First Order we got.

That being said, I am glad that this show is working to bridge the gap between the OT and the ST. That's something that I felt was really needed in a live action format, not just books and animated shows.

Kowakian Kebab likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, this version has been much more the conceptualized "Nazi remnant in South America" thing that the First Order were described as, while making a sensible through line to where the ST ends up. But the more time we can spend with this era of clinging to power and localized warlords with militias, the better. It's brilliant.

11. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Love the bit at the beginning when he's got BY helping repair his ship, plus them sitting in the cargo area drinking their drinks. Loved this episode.

12. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Poor Stormtroopers. The one time they actually manage to hit their target and the guy's covered in the GFFA equivalent to adamantium.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Vertical speeder biking was a fun sight.

14. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    Great episode, great season.

I had strong 'Jedi Outcast'-vibes. Nevarro backside looked like Kejim outpost. Gideon's experiments and suits looked like Fyaar's shadowtroopers.

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Great scene..

so...
    Sounds to me like Gideon is trying to give himself Force abilities. Why else would blood with a high M-count be transfused into someone else??

Fandalorian likes this.
  16. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    it was fun to see the go crew again but for some reason I just don't have that same happiness and glee I had after each episode of season 1.

17. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    I really enjoyed this episode.

BY in the beginning, base assault and the subsequent chase (brilliant). I didn't mind Carano's acting here really. I've grown accustomed to it perhaps, but I see where folks are coming from when commenting on her acting.

All in all I felt Carl Weathers did a good job, although I agree that some of the chapters from season 1 really nailed it in terms of imagery. Having said that, Navarro is quite barren so it's not like it has excellent scenery to work with.

Razor Crest back in shape and Din flashing his skills in the cockpit (finally).

The whole black trooper theme is very interesting. It does indeed remind me of the good old Dark Forces, even though I can't remember all that much of the story now.

So then, Din and BY will lead Gideon and his merry men to Ahsoka. Things will hit the fan either way. Other factors that will/can come in to play is Bo-Katan and perhaps Boba Fett, unless they're stowing away that arc for a later date. I'm intrigued by a previous comment about him wanting to eliminate the original clone program if that indeed is still in place. I wonder.

I love that they focus on a core story that only interacts with The Resistance and Imperial Remnants now and again. A crossing of paths at certain intervals, but not overshadowing things. Please keep it this way Favreau and Filoni.

18. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    And this for me is why these Chapters need multiple viewings to really take everything that is being presented.

On my first watch, I was liking it; not the best one I've seen, but it was enjoyable. I loved the speeder bike chase scenes alot. They were really cool and exciting - also closely followed by the Tie Fighter chase. And for once, bravo, a show does about the right amount of "chase" time. So often, TV shows and movies get so bogged down with over-doing these chase scenes that in the end, you are just wanting them over and done with. But these chase scenes were just about right for me - with the applicable amount of suspense and action.

I loved that more creatures of Star Wars past (this time the Aqualish) make it into this show. I just love how Fav mixes the old with the new.

I loved the continuation of the world-building of yet another terrain this season in the jagged rocky outcrops of Nevarro. I liked how a bounty hunter dive has now been turned into a flourishing village - with a school too. And I enjoyed seeing inside another Imperial base and the fighting on the outside deck.

I like the Predator-like throwback between Din and Greef - abit like Schwarzenegger and Weathers in Predator; except without the "big-muscle" competition.

I like the ANH throwback with having to turn off the generator-like thing, as well as the ROTJ throwback about Carbonite and eyesight returning in time - when the Mythrol said he still couldn't see out of his left eye.

I like the teacher droid describing Galactic Geography, Trade and Governance. Unfortunately I couldn't make out alot as it was int the backround, but it was cool from what I heard.

And I dearly love the dad/parent moments of Din and The Child sitting down and drinking their broth together and then Din later on cleaning up after The Child vomits. Very cute and endearing father/son moments. And even Din trying to teach The Child about what electrical cords to put where.

Buts its the second viewing where the "good stuff" is picked up; especially with its reinforcing of the greater story and its links to the ST.

Firstly Greef's comments. "Why are the New Republic trying to take the outer rim. They should just leave it alone. If the Empire couldn't do it, what makes them (the New Republic) think they can do it." And then to the X-Wing police officer later on " This ain't Coruscant, I will be sure to tell you if you are ever out this far again." - all of this is pointing at how the New Republic are struggling in trying to govern the galaxy. The task is just so immense, no wonder the Rebellion's leaders needed to venture far and wide.

And then this is further reinforced outside between Cara and the X-Wing pilot. "We could use a soldier"....... "These are not isolated events, something's going on"....... "We can't do this without local support" - all of this is showing the monumental task that faces the New Republic; not only in establishing Government, but also maintaining it - especially when its done in a democratic way and not like the Empire.

And then this pearler by the Officer in charge aboard the Imperial Ship to their informant. "You will be well rewarded in the new era."

This for me is a big one because here I was thinking that Gideon was part of the Imperial Remnants scattered across the galaxy. This completely changes my view with one sentence because I now believe that he has been sent back from the Unknown Regions - either that, or he is well aware of the grander plan and this Officer knows it through him. For me, without saying it, this is the first indication of The First Order starting to form in the backround. Alot of novels describe various things like this, but now live action is hinting at it as well.

And then this ST stuff leads into the"Midichlorian" stuff. Those bodies in the Imperial laboratory on Nevarro, I couldnt quite make them out, but geez they looked like Snoke. Preparing bodies to take a host maybe..... hmmmm...... The Rise Of Skywalker maybe. And then those soldiers in at the end with Gideon. They almost looked Mandalorian based on the head/helmet shape.

As I say, these shows need second and third and more viewings to take everything in. So much is subtlely dropped throughout the shows that its either easy to miss it, or not appreciate what you are seeing in the moment.

So with a second viewing, I love this Chapters connection to the greater story.

19. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I wasn't disappointed in this episode at all, it gave me some more backstory and is now starting to connect things together. Not as good as last episode, but still not a bad one. Overall season 2 has been great. I might say even better than Season 1, but that is just my own personal perspective.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It wasn’t Ochi. Ochi isn’t Mimbanese. Although the show is for sure connecting to the ST in other more important ways.

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  21. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    My exactly thoughts :cool:

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  22. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Solid episode in hopefully hinting at connective tissue ahead to the sequel trilogy. I enjoyed seeing some of the repeat characters. Some leaps in logic required for suspension of disbelief for me but I was willing to turn that part of my brain off because I’m enjoying this ride. Most notably leaving the Child unguarded in a school on a strange planet after numerous kidnapping attempts and the ease with which someone could have taken him and gone anywhere. After so much time establishing the dynamic of him as a challenge for Mando to have to handle during his own adventures the setup just felt too easy. I would have preferred guards or something she trusted watching the child. Having said that part of parenting is literally coming to terms with the fact that you can’t be with your child at all times and have to trust them with some strangers eventually so from a parental psychology perspective it at least had that power going for it. The speeder sequence was fun. Loved the turret getting the trooper up top. Big laugh from me for that shot. Gideon is going to be an enjoyable villain so it was great to see just how formidable he will be in the future. After the Ashoka setup it was a little disappointing not to see some shot of her at the end or something but hopefully she’s in it soon.

Sproj and rumblewagon like this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Ok like always am late to the party.
    1. I loved the dad-son momment when they tried to fix the ship, it was soo adorable and the childs sweetest momments.
    2. Meh on Care Dune taking down criminals and her acting has not improved to me she still gives off this rooky vibe like she dosen't know how to act.
    3. Nice seeing this new school and Baby Yoda using the force to get some snacks, like we all want to do. Also nice hearing the mentions of Corucant and Chadrilla hopefully we see them in era soon.
    4. The Mythrol back also meh, sure bring back the most annoying side character who belongs in the wrong universe.
    5. I liked the action scenes on taking on the imperial base and strom trooppers are still useless, good.
    6. I loved seeing the return of dr. Pershing and we learn about early clones that likley ties to both Snoke and Palpatine. Learn that Gideon wants the child for it's blood and high midi-chlorians count so he could have an army of force users like Palpatine wanted in the clone wars. We see little hints of the first order/final order.
    7. Nice chase scene with speeder bikes and later the tie-fighters.
    8. I like that the new republic gets little more involved and even if i don't care for it Cara Dune can give us more new republic stories in the mandalorian.
    9. I loved seeing a live action light cruiser, we see Gideon and what looks to be Dark Trooppers, maybe like the ones from rebels but more modified. Also Gideon seems to be planning on having Mnado lead him to Ahsoka so he can kill her. I got hyped.
    10. Next Mando and Ahsoka vs Gideon and his Dark trooppers?

All in all a good episode there were some ok scenes with good and great ones, we get like Clone Wars more connectevity with the ST, with clones and stealing the force. I wonder if he knows Palpatine is alive and if he needs the child to Make Palpatine fully return and not like he is in a weakened clone body.

24. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  25. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Not the highs of last episode but overall real good too. Having Greef onscreen anytime is great and I thought Weathers did a good job directing as well. Loved his scene with the pilot at the end. The attack on the base was done well. Carano is still hands down the weak link in terms of acting on the show but I like the Cara Dune character. Wished there was more emotion from her at the end. That was probably the first time she's interacted with someone from the Republic in ages.

I first thought those might have been Dark Troopers at the end Gideon was looking at but I don't think so. The helmets kind of look like a cross between them and a mud trooper though.