main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.04 - Chapter 12 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 19, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 27, 2020.
  1. 10

11.8%
  2. 9

34.6%
  3. 8

31.5%
  4. 7

18.9%
  5. 6

2.4%
  6. 5

0.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh wow I totally missed this background nugget-
    [​IMG]
    Yes.

2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I don't think
    they are Snoke...just the failed results of the experiments. Just because something is a failure does not mean you destroy it...you keep it to study what went wrong.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    it's defently Snoke related with his theme.

Rebel_Padawan likes this.
  4. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Funny how they use the same tech for cooling lava as they do Death Star tractor beams. At least they sound the same when you turn them off...

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Did anyone screen grab what was on the screen before the scientists shot it? It appeared circular.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Ehpik

Ehpik Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2013
    I like Gina, and I really like the character of Cara Dune; but if they do bring in another female role, I'd like to see Iden Versio pop up in an episode or two.

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The impressively scaled and staged action was definitely the highlight for me this week, as most everything else felt like more obligatory narrative business. I'm guessing the breadcrumbs of the presumed strand casts will likely feed into Snoke's emergence. However, I'm having some difficulty with Greef and Cara's choice not to report it to the New Republic. I understand that having just endured an Imperial occupation for a long time, Nevarro is enjoying its new independence and they have no interest in outside authority poking around. Perhaps they also just assumed that the destruction of the lab put an end to that line of Imperial development?

Also, more babysitters for the Child is getting a bit repetitive for me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    whostheBossk and rumblewagon like this.
  8. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    Decent episode, for me it was in between last episode and the spider episode. Definitely was better than I expected, as I was expecting a sort of filler episode till the next one. It definitely wasn't filler. Very surprised about how much this episode influences the plot. But felt it lacked in some regards. Action scenes felt like they could have been shot better.

I can't believe I didn't pick up on a lot of things, like how i missed the M count drop, and when Pershing talked about the volunteers, I was too busy thinking about the Snoke body is the tank. I only noticed that when I came here, so I went back to watch the scene.
    I found the hallway sequences to be a bit repetitive and the mythrol was kind of annoying.
    I really liked the start with Din and Baby Yoda, and the part in the school. Probably my favorite episode Baby Yoda wise. He seems to be learning quickly, I think he might say a word soon.
    I did enjoy the speeder chase especially that vertical speeder drop, though the trailer spoilt that for me.
    Still my favorite part though is how this sets up the rest of the series well, and how it connects to the ST. Though I despise the ST, I hope this show becomes for the ST what TCW was for the PT.
    And about the snoke clones, I think those are probably the Palpatine clones that later end up becoming Snoke. My guess is that they are trying to clone Palpatine, but even if they succeed, they won't be able to clone his force powers. So they need to transfer force ability from another force user. So right now they are trying to transfer BY's force abilities to volunteers, to experiment and make it possible, before actually trying it on the clones. But from the way Pershing talks, I don't think they've succeeded yet. I think the troopers at the end are just some other form of death troopers we saw last season.

What really interests me though, is in the end we all know Palpatine succeeds. The question is, who's blood did he use? Baby Yoda's? Ahsoka's? Ezra's? Or someone else? Or maybe they find a way without blood? I'm starting to doubt if it's Ahsoka. We do hear her voice in TROS, which kind of suggests she might be dead.

I have to say, I really like this season more compared to the last season so far. The 1st episode is my favorite for the whole series, closely followed by the 3rd. I liked the show last season, but I felt that it was overpraised considering the response it got. One of my biggest problems with the show was that each episode felt to detatched from the rest, save for the last 2. And after each episode, nothing significant to the overall narrative of the show had happened, the show was very in the moment, but didn't show much for the bigger picture. I felt like since they were using different directors, they were trying to do the opposite of the ST, and instead of having the plots clash against each other, they would make it so independent that there would be barely any connection between the episodes. I also felt that Baby Yoda overshadowed Din. I understand that the goal of the 1st season was probably world building, which it had done really well, but it just felt like each episode was a side quest and not the main story. But with this season, I really am proven wrong. Thoroughly enjoying every episode and can't wait till the next one airs.

Kowakian Kebab likes this.
  9. PintoDog32

PintoDog32 Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2020
    So at what point does BY, Tano, possible troopers being infused with midis, etc cause enough disturbance of the force for Luke Skywalker to show up (especially if this all comes to everyone being in the same place/same time)

beetzello likes this.
  10. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I’m guessing they either want Baby Yodas blood for either the Emperor or Moff Girdeon to try to make him force sensitive.Dooku tried this with Grievous in legends and failed so doubt it will go well for the Moff.

11. TheChosenAlpha

Feb 15, 2020
    EDIT: Never mind, I think it breaks the thread rules. Plus someone already mentioned it in the main Mandalorian thread.

12. Ehpik

Ehpik Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2013
    I think they were showing us that the experiment to make Snoke, or perhaps, make a host for Palpatine with a high M-Count, was being shown. They did play Snoke's theme during this time.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Filoni knows his lore also, he wound't be showing clones that look like Snoke and play his theme if he weren't going to use that or him in any way. Andy serkis would love to do Snoke again i'm sure.

shaak fett and TheChosenAlpha like this.
  14. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I saw this elsewhere and forgot the numbering continues through seasons, haha. I thought that meant we were waiting until the 13th episode of the season.

I am beyond stoked for this. Pretty much every dangling plot thread in the whole SW Universe connects to her at this point.

TheChosenAlpha likes this.
  15. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I was at an 8/10 for this episode, but the ending took it to a 9/10. So excited to see what is going to happen now.
    + A literal trench run.
    + Greef Karga and all his banter
    +Cara Dune has some good action sequences.
    +Girl scout cookies (j/k)
    +Really want to know what's in those lab containers.
    +Mando - everything.
    -Carano's acting needs some work. I wonder if directors are afraid to tell her anything cuz she'll body slam them.

Sarge, Flyer75, Darth_Diealot and 3 others like this.
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I'm pretty sure those were Dark Troopers at the end, they looked way too mechanical to be simply suits, and their necks appeared to be made of mostly tubes/wires.

Even if they're not, they might be inspired by the Dark Troopers. They had a head similar to the Phase 1 and shoulder pauldrons like the Phase 3.

I think we're seeing two different projects here, the midichlorian extraction and cloning/infusion is one part, and the Death Troopers at the end are something else.

17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I think I won't mind if the show turns into BY doing random stuff :D It was so adorable!

Anyway a solid episode. If Favreau and Filoni were in charge of the ST I think it would have turned out much better. So far theirs are the only things that I like of the Disney version, along with RO.

Bor Mullet and rumblewagon like this.
  18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002

The stitching on the head definitely feels like a hint that this leads to Snoke tech later. No real reason to do a scar like that up there if it wasn’t meant to feel like the early beginnings of the process that later leads to Snoke IMO.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  20. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    The audio description track for the final scene calls them Dark Troopers.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Good catch, Fredrik. And Ender.

22. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Why wouldn't the First Order just be doing these experiments in the Unknown Regions? Why in the Outer Rim where the New Republic can more easily find them? One of the main reasons to go to the UR was to do things in secret.

If Gideon is a First Order member, why isn't he calling himself the First Order? Why is he pretending to be part of an Imperial Remnant? Why is he saying things like "Long Live the Empire," when the First Order viewed the Empire as a failure?

If they're playing Snoke music during the experiment scene, that might just to be to suggest Force experimentation, it doesn't have to mean they're trying to create Snoke.

The shot of the failed experiment and Gideon's Dark Troopers is similar enough to suggest they are connected -- the Troopers are successful Force experiments, and importantly, they do not appear to be Snokes.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Imperial Remnant would also be dabbling in Force experiments, similar to the First Order. I don't see any reason they must be connected yet. They may well be, but we don't need to assume so.

I don't really care if this is an early version of Snoke, I just have no idea why it would be taking place in the Outer Rim and not the Unknown Regions. Someone explain that.

23. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    For the vat scene or the final scene with Gideon? Makes more sense for the final scene.

24. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I said final scene in my post :p

Ender_and_Bean likes this.
  25. TheChosenAlpha

Feb 15, 2020
    Didn't know that Dark Troopers referred to a kind of droid, or that droids were there that look like this. They probably are Dark Troopers, I was really confused when I saw them because they looked kind of bulky and less human like to be a kind of death trooper.

whostheBossk likes this.